Login to access exclusive gaming content, win competition prizes
and post on our forums. Don't have an account? Create one now!
Why should you join?
Click here for full benefits!
Follow our Twitter feedNew Assassin's Creed II footage - http://bit.ly/NZjv9
SIGN IN/JOIN UP
GamesForumsCheatsVideo
Christmas Carol becomes a game | New LittleBigPlanet contest | Rock Band 2 Wii gets Green Day, Kasabian | New Assassin's Creed II footage | Sony: No plans for an NXE-like overhaul | Square Enix Europe formed | SimAnimals head to Africa | Ubisoft enters Ontario | New Old Republic movie | Japanese game market slumps 25% | Wii Sports Resort held up for MotionPlus | Video: Bayonetta's special effects | Football Manager Live updated | PES 2010 to drop online IDs | No Syphon Filter 5 after all | Polyphony: Getting GT on PSP was a struggle | Mario Galaxy in HD - The video | Monkey Island XBLA, PC next week | 16 minutes of Brutal Legend | Infinite Space DS - full anime in English | FIFA Manager 10 movie | Prototype and Infamous in drag queen face-off | LucasArts: Steam deal is "just a start" | LucasArts "old school" reveal is? | Dirt 2 PC delayed for DirectX 11 support
All|PC|PlayStation|Xbox|Nintendo|Download PC Games
Search CVG
Computer And Video Games - The latest gaming news, reviews, previews & movies
Games good for kids... says Sesame Street
View previous topic - View next topic  
Dajmin
Kudos: 37

PostPosted: 6 Jul 09 12:50 pm Reply with quote

Games aren't good or bad for anyone. It's all about your own perception, what you expect and which games you play. You get the same out of it that you get out of watching TV. With added improvements to hand-eye co-ordination.

Some games will help you learn stuff, some games won't. Some people will help you learn stuff, some people won't.

There is no definite "this is good for you" in any media.
altitude2k
Kudos: 29

PostPosted: 6 Jul 09 12:54 pm Reply with quote

It's good that someone fairly well-respected has come out and said this.

It's a matter of moderation. I think endless gaming for kids is plain wrong - and those parents who let their kids do it either because a) they just don't care or b) it keeps them out of their hair all day are just bad parents. Especially if they don't vet the games they let their kids play.

But as a tool for learning it's great. Hand-eye coordination is only one aspect, but even as an adult my ability to problem solve is much better thanks to gaming. Increased user interation with Natal could pave the way for some great learning tools in the future.
The_KFD_Case
Kudos: 30

PostPosted: 6 Jul 09 1:04 pm Reply with quote

Dajmin wrote:
Games aren't good or bad for anyone. It's all about your own perception, what you expect and which games you play. You get the same out of it that you get out of watching TV. With added improvements to hand-eye co-ordination.

Some games will help you learn stuff, some games won't. Some people will help you learn stuff, some people won't.

There is no definite "this is good for you" in any media.

Albeit with a higher risk of carpal tunnel and other intensive repetition strains. Wink

Speaking of games' potential to teach and nurture, I read somewhere not too long ago that children seem to respond better to lessons carried out in the guise of a game. That shouldn't come as such a big surprise and yet it did surprise me. It makess a lot of sense: How many of us find we retained more conscious memory of what we did, how we felt about it and were more willing to engage in the same activity again if we didn't dislike it, and how much more we are willing to do when we outright like the activity?

P.S. CVG, please fix the damn scolling when one opens a reply and begins to type! Are you deliberately trying to discourage posters from writing more than one sentence at a time?!?!
nee50n
Kudos: 26

PostPosted: 6 Jul 09 1:49 pm Reply with quote

As much as I admire the work that Sesame Street has historically done to entertain and educate children - its kind of like Nike saying training shoes make you look good.

Sesame Street also produces educational video games, so they are hardly going to say they are bad for your children.

As EH Carr might have said "before you study the research, first study the researchers"
Rocksterboy1992
Kudos: 5

PostPosted: 6 Jul 09 3:28 pm Reply with quote

So what's the point in just randomly saying this? Is it just to promote their educational games then??
miked00d
Kudos: 11

PostPosted: 6 Jul 09 4:16 pm Reply with quote

the problem with people saying 'gaming is good for you' or 'gaming is bad for you' is that its too general. there are thousands of systems, games and ways of playing them out there- for example, one kid could be skiing on wii fit with the wii balance board and one kid could be sitting on his bottom mowing down pedestrians on gta.

saying games are bad or good is like saying movies are bad or good, theyre all different so you cant generalise.
metallicorphan
Kudos: 25

PostPosted: 6 Jul 09 5:11 pm Reply with quote

i miss sesame street....why is it never showed over here now?..it used to be on CH4 at 12noon...was it because of one of the people having HIV?

while i am unemployed it would be great to watch Smile

dark_gamer
Kudos: 32

PostPosted: 6 Jul 09 8:07 pm Reply with quote

CVG, posting the article yourself you would of thought you'd have paid attention to what they said, because they didn't say 'educational games'. Think about games like Zelda which requires puzzle solving skills, or games like Age of Empires which is somewhat history-based, etc. and hell, I've even learnt the meaning of a few words from videogames like pursuit from Sonic/Pokemon.

And I honestly can't believe you think educational games are the only kind you can code.

I just think it's kinda ironic how whenever someone outside of the games industry slags it off (the games industry) you're quick to defend it, but as soon as someone outside of the games industry triest to defend it you go on the offensive Rolling Eyes
Welshybhoy91
Kudos: 15

PostPosted: 6 Jul 09 10:06 pm Reply with quote

Mass Effect helped me understand my advanced higher Physics. I learned that to be able to travel at the speed of light, you have to be infinitely small and infinitely heavy.
I also know how to survive a zombie outbreak, survive a nuclear war and fire a weapon. I can also now play the drums a la GH World Tour
Richyrich316
Kudos: 32

PostPosted: 6 Jul 09 10:32 pm Reply with quote

Its all good when the next psycho to spray bullets into a random set of people is in court he can say

"big bird told me to play GTA" Twisted Evil
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Article Comments All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: