Drum recording - home-studio

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Extreme Drumming Forum Index // Live Sound/Recording
View previous topic :: View next topic  
graziano
Sinner

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 2:53 pm    Post subject: Drum recording - home-studio Reply with quote
Hey,

I need some advice and help with recording equipment etc. in a home studio! I would like to hear about your experienced with different mics for toms, snares etc. I can't afford to buy expencive stuff like for example the Shure Beta 98H/C microphone for toms, so I need your advice on something a bit more affordable.

Also, I need advice on what would make a good room for drum recording? I guess it is essential to clothe walls etc. with some rugs or stuff like that? Oh, and I will be mic-ing everything on my kit, except the bassdrums (<- triggers Twisted Evil ).

I guess I'll also be needing a mixer for everything...

So, to sum up, I need advice on recording drums, everything from the actual mic-ing, through a mixer, and into my computer where I'll be using Cubase...

thanks alot guys,
Graziano.

kuntvomit
Daemon

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I don't know if this is any use to you, but this is the way I do it:

I've got a computer with two inputs, and a CD recorder with two inputs. I save the best mics for the bass and snare, I've got a big 70's stereo mic for the overhead and whatever I have left over for the toms. I record bass and snare onto the two inputs on the computer, then I record the overheads and toms onto the CD thing, with the levels and panning already tweaked. Then I transfer the toms and overheads onto the computer and drag it all in time.
We used an SM57, two SM58s, two other old mics of similar quality, a cheap shit one and that big stereo one for the overheads. I can't remember which mics went where.

Here's my band's myspace if you want to hear an example
www.myspace.com/deadfallband

Toms are tuned fairly medium, bass drum is only finger-tight, and the snare is just a little above finger-tight.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Extreme Drumming Forum Index // Live Sound/Recording All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: