Hi-hat spill problems

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Extreme Drumming Forum Index // Live Sound/Recording
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kuntvomit
Daemon

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 2:11 pm    Post subject: Hi-hat spill problems Reply with quote
First let me explain the setup and then I'll get onto the problem.
I've got a mixer and a bunch of microphones, and it's all going into a computer. The soundcard on the computer has two inputs and so I'm mixing the drums as they're recorded onto a left and a right channel. Once they're down, anything I do to the drums (compression, reverb, whatever), will affect the whole kit.

So, has anybody got any tips on how to minimise hi-hat spill into the snare mic? I've tried positioning the microphones so they point away from the hi-hat as much as possible, and I've also tried putting a shield in between the hi-hat and the snare mic; various contraptions mostly consisting of foam, cardboard and about 50 miles of gaffer tape. But so far I haven't managed to reduce the spill without ruining the snare sound.
TC
Daemon

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
i'd say with that setup the most you could do is remove some high frequencies in hopes of minimizing the HH sound. however, as you said, that would affect the entire kit.

mic your snare from the bottom?

Harkonin | MySpace | buy stuff
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Extreme Drumming Forum Index // Live Sound/Recording All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: