Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Could ve been better

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Feedback] >> Empire Online >> Could ve been better Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Could ve been better - 16/9/2011 9:39:50 AM   
hashirkareem

its impossible to make a top 100 list to satisfy all.. a real greatest movie list should have no number limit .. having said that,i think this list is quite strange !
Amelie is without doubt a very good film..but the 2nd best film of all time ?? you've got to be kidding !! that too when 81/2 is somewhere in the 60s !! Godard, Fellini etc should be much higher on any list !
There is hardly any representation of Iranian Cinema which has produced some of the best of world cinema in the last 3 or 4 decades !
At least one Emir Kusturica movie should've been on the list..there are many that it could've replaced.
The Indian choices have veered towards blockbusters rather than good cinema.. Including Devdas is like having "the Titanic" on the list of greatest movies .. its a blockbuster, no doubt, but is completely out of place on this list.. same goes for Lagaan or Mother India (though both are good films they are, by no means, ground breaking cinema) .. Films by Ghatak (considered equal to Ray),Mrinal Sen,Shyam Benegal,Mani Kaul, Shaji,Adoor,Kasaravalli etc should have been the obvious choices.At least more popular "western world" choices like Salaam Bombay or The Bandit Queen would've been better than this. Even mainstream Bollywood has turned out much better fare like Kaagaz Ke Phool, Pyaasa, Do Bhiga Zameen etc..
Bruce Lee and Jackie Chan are geniuses at what they do and deservedly among the most popular stars of all time (yes,I am a huge fan too!!) but their movies aren't outstanding in terms of cinematic technique or content..

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 61
An Interesting List but missing quite a few - 24/10/2011 11:30:21 AM   
MrRenegadePhoenix

Pan's Labyrinth, City of God, The Seventh Seal, Battleship Potemkin, Seven Samurai, Spirited Away - definately worthy of top 10 placement but where my two favourite films: Grave of the Fireflies & The Lives of Others? They are such great films and deserved placement in the top 50 without a doubt.

Post #: 62
Great list but no Iranian films??? - 14/11/2011 8:24:35 PM   
MaryGet89

After going through this list I got a little bit puzzled because I haven't seen Iranian films in it. What about the films by acclaimed Iranian filmmakers like Kiarostami, Makhmalbaf, Mehrjui. To my mind this list does not represent the films from Islamic coutries at all - what about their perspective? It's terrific that you put "Persepolis" here but it's not quite Iranian production, is it?

Post #: 63
Unforgivable omissions - 19/11/2011 7:06:57 AM   
benwoulds

1. Grand Illusion - wow, arguably #1, just ask Orson Welles
2. The Passion of Joan of Arc
3. La Strada
4. L'Atalante
5. Mirror
6. Fanny and Alexander
7. Le Million
8. Napoleon
9. Elevator to the Gallows
10. Viridiana

Post #: 64
- 5/12/2011 10:00:59 AM   
rachelparker

no La vita è bella or Banlieue 13?

Post #: 65
Good list - 15/12/2011 6:31:08 PM   
MrPinkBatman

That's a great list, I'm only surprised that Leningrad Cowboys was the only finnish movie on the list. The Unknown Soldier could've had been here. After seeing this list I'm going to buy Infernal Affairs, The Seventh Seal, Downfall and maybe Let The Right One In and Battle Royale.

Post #: 66
- 1/1/2012 8:39:33 PM   
Arek.Zacharski

The list missing "The Saragossa Manuscript" and "Stalker", both should be at very top of this list., "Promised Land" by Wajda could make it into first 50 as well. Also Tarkovsky movies (Solaris, Andrei Rublev) should be placed higher.

Post #: 67
A bit too heavy on Asian horror... - 18/2/2012 6:31:09 PM   
FrannyBlue

What about The Lives of Others or Troubled Water?

Post #: 68
- 3/3/2012 2:06:46 PM   
AnindyaB

Why should i see a list that fails Charles Chaplin ? And Billy Wilder? And Alfred Hitchcock? And Alain Rainey? And David Lean? And Antonioni? And Fernando Solanas? And Ilmaz Guney? Honestly, here there seems to be a disturbing bias towards violent Asian films; against Iranian films; and yes, against, believe me, British films (Lean/ Lindsay Anderson/ John Boorman/ Ridley Scott/ Danny Boyle etc)! This critic must acquaint himself/ herself with films made before 80s... in terms of craftsmanship and pathbreaking ideas they were unparalleled! Notable absentees are (in my opinion): Citizen Kane (did i miss it in the list... BTW, pressing d button 100 times means sore fingers, could you do something about it?), Dr Zhivago, Life is Beautiful, The Journey (Solanas), Last Year at Marienbad (or Hiroshima mon Amour), North by NorthWest (or Vertigo)...

Speaking of Indian films, the choices are apalling. Including the Ray trilogy is expectedly OK, but in the same breath as Devdas (that too, the kitschy remake?) and Lagaan and Mother India?... HAHA! If Ray deserves at least another nod (Days n Nights in the Forest/ The Music Room/ The lonely Wife), Ritwick Ghatak's ('Unmechanical' or 'Subarnarekha') absence is bewildering.

Post #: 69
- 3/3/2012 2:12:56 PM   
AnindyaB

Am in agreement with Hashir Kareem's list to include Guru Dutt & other contemporary names e.g. Shyam Benegal.

For its incredible film structure, Bunuel's 'Phantom of Liberty' is a personal favourite!

Post #: 70
- 5/3/2012 12:30:34 AM   
rm310

The Lives of Others.... Amores Perros?

Post #: 71
MISSING TITLES: - 12/3/2012 1:22:09 PM   
Johannez

-Abre los Ojos
-Amores perros
-Lucia y el sexo
-Taxi
-C'est arrive pres de chez vous
-[REC]
-The Returner (Japanese)
-Monty Python & The holy Grail
+ Life of Brian (its in brittish language..;)
-Eagle vs Shark (australian language..)
-Jalla! Jalla!
-Fucking Amal
-The Kingdom

..and lots and lots of really great documentaries!

Post #: 72
My Number 1.... - 25/3/2012 6:33:00 PM   
Miss_Sushi

...would be Cinema Paradiso, just beautiful and it made me sob. Missing was Malena, City of the Lost Children, Brotherhood of the Wolf and La Reine Margot.

Post #: 73
...just a few missing - 21/4/2012 6:06:57 AM   
taenial.romero

wheres Train of Life? Love´s a Bitch? Simpathy for Lady Vengeance? ...and what the hell is doing Amelie in the 2nd place?

Post #: 74
Not Much of a List - 11/7/2012 8:03:10 PM   
bloomy333

Cant say I agree with the over-all representation here.
No Fassbinder?
No Pasolini?
No Bresson?
No Mizoguchi?
No Resnais?
These are major figures. This is a list of the most popular films in world cinema, not the best.
Even in the case of Godard, his best films are not picked (Contempt, Pierrot le fou, My life to live).

What a shame.

Post #: 75
Movie # 26 - 29/9/2012 8:35:36 PM   
chelath2000

As a young girl, movie #26 on your list, Belle et la Bete was my favorite movie. I was probably about six the first time I watched it. My father had it on VHS, and as soon as it'd finish I'd go get my father to rewind it so I could watch it again. I absolutely adore this movie.

Post #: 76
Some films that surely should have made this list! - 8/10/2012 9:51:56 AM   
TheLazyFilmBuff

When I think of World cinema a lot of great films come in to my head however I was very surprised films like 'The Lives of Others', 'Swades', 'Departures', 'Confessions', 'Sanjuro', 'Intouchables' and Yojimbo is not on this list. Please is there way of users voting so we can get these films on there? I'm sure other users will not be disappointed with the films that I've mentioned.

Post #: 77
Oldboy deserves a spot in the top 10!!! - 8/10/2012 9:55:16 AM   
TheLazyFilmBuff

I think Oldboy is one of the greatest films ever made! It's a shame not to even see it in the top 10 of this greatest world cinema list. Please more people be aware of this and then give it a higher voting. As this film is a hidden gem, I'm sure once the remake is made it will get a lot of recognition however I don't think nothing will be able to come close to the perfection of Oldboy!

Here is a review:

Edit - site rules don't allow advertising personal blogs/sites/youtube accounts in posts to direct users off=site. If you wish you may add a link to your sig though

< Message edited by elab49 -- 14/10/2012 11:08:00 AM >

Post #: 78
The Children of Heaven - 14/10/2012 8:15:44 AM   
mrmohitmishra

The movies like The Children of Heaven and LIfe is beautiful or the Secret in their eyes were not enlisted. Votes to each entry must have been disclosed

Post #: 79
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
All Forums >> [Feedback] >> Empire Online >> Could ve been better Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News��|��Empire Blog��|��Movie Reviews��|��Future Films��|��Features��|��Video Interviews��|��Image Gallery��|��Competitions��|��Forum��|��Magazine��|��Resources
Mojo4music��|��Q4Music��|��Kerrang!��|��Aloud.com��|��Kiss
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI