Login to access exclusive gaming content, win competition prizes
and post on our forums. Don't have an account? Create one now!
Why should you join?
Click here for full benefits!
Follow our Twitter feedBioShock 2 review coming 5pm GMT! http://bit.ly/93OAMH
SIGN IN/JOIN UP
GamesForumsCheatsStore
Diablo III Monk revealed | Uncharted 2 soundtrack released | Google launches Facebook rival | No Dead Space 2 on PC | Ghost Recon: Future Soldier trailer out | Lego Universe beta sign-up open | PixelJunk Shooter sequel looky-likey | Assassin's Creed goes to Rome | LA Noir release window confirmed | Forza 3 Nurburgring Track DLC | Mod of the Year Awards announced | FIFA fans break Guinness World Record | Xbox Live schedule: Resi 5, Katamari on Demand | MLB 2K10 gameplay trailer arrives | Halo: Reach Covenant is 'terrifying' | BioShock 2: More Avatar gear | 3D Project Natal has 'a lot of potential' | Ace Attorney Investigations demo out | All EA titles "will have an online component" | BioShock 2 review round-up | Pirate ordered to pay Nintendo $1.5 million | NBA Jam Wii screenshots | BioShock 2 is "only pure shooter out right now" | Deus Ex: Human Revolution trademarked | LBP gets Valentines, Chinese New Year DLC
All|PC|PlayStation|Xbox|Nintendo|Download PC Games
Search CVG
Computer And Video Games - The latest gaming news, reviews, previews & movies
Star Trek Online 'doesn't need Warcraft fans'
View previous topic - View next topic  
SunScramble
Kudos: 36

PostPosted: 4 Feb 10 8:10 pm Reply with quote

You know what that sounds like to me?

WoW players: "Your game sucks. It's obviously lazy and rushed, the engine is completely unsuitable and the similarity to the franchise it's based on is barely even skin deep. On top of that, you've got the gall to try and make us pay for the game four times over, between the box, the subscription, the many DLC parts you've held back and the paid content patches. Maybe we've been spoiled by the splendour that is World of Warcraft, but your game is both expensive and lacking in content compared to what we're already playing. You must be joking."

Cryptic: "Waaaaah, we didn't even want you to play anyway. It's no loss to us."

WoW players: "Fine, it's no loss to us either. We'll take our 6 million £9-monthly subscriptions elsewhere, and we'll take another look when you inevitably go Free-to-Play in a year or so."
Adam81uk
Kudos: 23

PostPosted: 4 Feb 10 8:54 pm Reply with quote

Wow u got all of that from this article SunScramble? Guessing you love Warcraft a little too much. There was me thinking that Star Trek was aimed at a slightly different audience to that of Warcraft.

He is quite right anyway, there are far more people that have watched Star Trek and enjoy its content than play Warcraft so if only a fraction of those fans take an interest in this game then it will be a success. They really don't need to raid the Warcraft audience for it to be a success is what he is saying i believe. Just need to focus on the product and market it to the right audience.
SunScramble

PostPosted: 4 Feb 10 9:19 pm Reply with quote

Adam81uk wrote:
There was me thinking that Star Trek was aimed at a slightly different audience to that of Warcraft.

Judging from what I've seen of the way Cryptic have treated the game so far, and the way they're treating Champions Online right now, I'd say that the audience they're aiming for is "anybody who's stupid enough to pay for it".

Adam81uk wrote:
Just need to focus on the product and market it to the right audience.

Having extensively beta-tested the game, I can happily inform you first hand that they've failed on both accounts.
Desaima
Kudos: 22

PostPosted: 4 Feb 10 11:49 pm Reply with quote

If they don't need a big slice of gamers, what do they need?
AegisK
Kudos: 20

PostPosted: 5 Feb 10 4:11 am Reply with quote

I know numerous friends of mine who've un-subscribed from said MMO to the fore-mentioned MMO with due haste at the very mention of Leonard Nimoy.
c3dpo
Kudos: 8

PostPosted: 5 Feb 10 12:41 pm Reply with quote

Unstable?

I too was on the Beta, and didnt experience any stability issues other than the server issues which one should expect in a Beta rather than a glorified demo beta.

Sounds like a die hard Wow Fan boy to me, nothing wrong with that though Very Happy
jukkiz
Kudos: 23

PostPosted: 5 Feb 10 2:59 pm Reply with quote

Luckily Cryptic has realized that there's no point in trying to fish out the 11 mil WoW players.
WAR tried that as did AoC. There's no point in straight out competition with WoW. The WoW fans aren't going to jump ship that easily.
It would take a monumental game, acres ahead of WoW in every single department. And even still, most WoWers wouldn't be bothered.
After all, only WoW is WoW, and that's all that matters to them.
SunScramble

PostPosted: 5 Feb 10 4:32 pm Reply with quote

c3dpo wrote:
Unstable?

I too was on the Beta, and didnt experience any stability issues other than the server issues which one should expect in a Beta rather than a glorified demo beta.

Sounds like a die hard Wow Fan boy to me, nothing wrong with that though Very Happy

lulwut? I haven't seen any complaints about stability so far.

Also, FYI, I'm not a WoW subscriber. You've got to respect a developer who went in with an ambition slightly higher than Cryptic's "Make lots of money" though, and then took the time to get it right rather than simply take 2 years to change the graphics and movement scheme in an already existing game.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Article Comments All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: