Login to access exclusive gaming content, win competition prizes
and post on our forums. Don't have an account? Create one now!
Why should you join?
Click here for full benefits!
Follow our Twitter feedSee iPad games in action: http://bit.ly/aisbDs Anyone getting one?
SIGN IN/JOIN UP
GamesForumsCheatsStore
'Eidos to blame for Championship Manager Online closure' | Championship Manager Online terminated | Mass Effect 2 - no text fix | NGamer: Sonic playable in Mario Galaxy 2 | Phoenix Wright (WiiWare) screens | Bungie - 'Halo 2, Xbox Live and You' | Madden Facebook coming | Fable II, Halo Wars go cheap | Perfect Dark playable at X10 | Ubisoft: "Big announcement" next week | L.A. Noire no longer PS3 exclusive | Fable 3 nearing completion | Syndicate remake - first artwork | Art: EA's Road Rash, Oliver Twist(!) | Aliens vs. Predator Marine trailer | ModNation Racers PSP revealed | A first-person shooter... for Facebook | XBLA topped $100 million in 2009 - report | Sonic the Hedgehog 4 trailer in HD | This week's Nintendo downloads | Pics: iPad game view modes | MX vs. ATR promo trailer arrives | Supreme Commander 2 screens released | Get the Heavy Rain demo now | Xbox Live friends list cap to be raised?
All|PC|PlayStation|Xbox|Nintendo|Download PC Games
Search CVG
Computer And Video Games - The latest gaming news, reviews, previews & movies
Heavy Rain requires 4.2GB install
View previous topic - View next topic  
benstevens
Kudos: 27

PostPosted: 2 Feb 10 8:23 pm Reply with quote

no bigger than GTA and i would take Heavy Rain any day!!!
sebimeyer
Kudos: 8

PostPosted: 2 Feb 10 8:23 pm Reply with quote

I'd be really interested in knowing why this is necessary.

Uncharted 2 manages to work without any install. Put in the disc and off you go. Why didn't this work with HR?
Nick33
Kudos: 14

PostPosted: 2 Feb 10 8:24 pm Reply with quote

Tempted to get this game, only thing putting me off is the replay value. But it looks bloody good.
Marlonjb
Kudos: 18

PostPosted: 2 Feb 10 8:54 pm Reply with quote

Bought one of those one terabite (sp?) external hard drives from PC world couple of years ago and I just realised I can back up all my PS3 data to it. So I've a great deal of space on the old box now.

Looks like i acted just in time.
pmantis
Kudos: 9

PostPosted: 2 Feb 10 9:30 pm Reply with quote

4.2 gb install time = wank in the shower
chumps
Kudos: 13

PostPosted: 2 Feb 10 10:07 pm Reply with quote

with the origami swan
MithEd
Kudos: 19

PostPosted: 2 Feb 10 10:15 pm Reply with quote

4 gb!? Gonna have to delete some of my private home videos...need to keep the tour of the kitchen though.
Charlie Bell
Kudos: 28

PostPosted: 2 Feb 10 11:30 pm Reply with quote

This means that although the game is released on Feb 26, you don't actually start playing until the beginning of March...

Wink Laughing
DaRockwilder1
Kudos: 38

PostPosted: 2 Feb 10 11:42 pm Reply with quote

Think it should fit on my 500gb hard drive Very Happy

Last edited by DaRockwilder1 on 3 Feb 10 11:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
MysticR
Kudos: 18

PostPosted: 3 Feb 10 12:06 am Reply with quote

Annoying, but I'll get over it. As mentioned, why these lengthy installs are necessary is beyond me; my 360 games get going straight away, and I never suffer overly long loading times.

I'll bet someone, somewhere, has had a power cut whilst a PS3 game installs - what fun that must be.
Charlie Bell
Kudos: 28

PostPosted: 3 Feb 10 2:21 am Reply with quote

MysticR wrote:
Annoying, but I'll get over it. As mentioned, why these lengthy installs are necessary is beyond me; my 360 games get going straight away, and I never suffer overly long loading times.

I'll bet someone, somewhere, has had a power cut whilst a PS3 game installs - what fun that must be.

What would happen if the power cut?

I think I read somewhere recently that the 360 has a faster disc read speed than the PS3.

The worst game for installs was MGS4. In our household with two (or maybe even three) people playing their own save game on the same system - the game would do an install for each chapter, but if I had progressed to chapter 2 and then someone else played chapter 1, the game would reinstall chapter 1. Then when I load my game again, it would have to reinstall for chapter 2... Shocked Confused

Tedious. Rolling Eyes

In comparison, a one off install bears no consequence at all...
Dave_25
Kudos: 24

PostPosted: 3 Feb 10 7:08 am Reply with quote

Its a shame this isn't coming out on the 360 as the crappy installs are one of the main reasons I hardly use my PS3.
Mark240473
Kudos: 37

PostPosted: 3 Feb 10 10:23 am Reply with quote

Big deal.

Any game that I get for the 360, I install it to the hard drive to save on fan noise and to gain possible other benefits.

Swings and roundabouts.
pmantis
Kudos: 9

PostPosted: 3 Feb 10 10:37 am Reply with quote

Quote:
Its a shame this isn't coming out on the 360 as the crappy installs are one of the main reasons I hardly use my PS3.

If "crappy" installs are preventing you from getting a ps3, you don't deserve to own one. Installs are small prices to pay for truly unique innovations in gaming.

Shut the f**k up, open your third eye and play mgs4 - your life will have meaning!
Black Mantis
Kudos: 35

PostPosted: 3 Feb 10 10:39 am Reply with quote

pmantis wrote:
Quote:

If "crappy" installs are preventing you from getting a ps3, you don't deserve to own one. Installs are small prices to pay for truly unique innovations in gaming.

Shut the f**k up, open your third eye and play mgs4 - your life will have meaning!

I'm not sure that's the right game to recommend to somebody who hates installs! Smile
martinawatson
Kudos: 26

PostPosted: 3 Feb 10 10:43 am Reply with quote

4.2 gb install time = wank in the shower
pmantis
with the origami swan
chumps

Does that count as animal sex ?
Dajmin
Kudos: 38

PostPosted: 3 Feb 10 11:30 am Reply with quote

The installs are because of the Blu-ray read speed. It's great for big files but pretty slow for small ones. Texture files, small 3D objects, sound files, etc are all pretty small and usually loaded on-the-fly. If that can't be done fast enough you end up with horrible pop-in like Mass Effect 1. You don't want that in the middle of an action sequence and what you miss is important audio cues. Or you get a blob of untextured crap fly past you.

I'd rather suffer the install and have a smooth game when it's time to play than skip it and have the gameplay ragged all over the shop.
jon_hill987
Kudos: 35

PostPosted: 3 Feb 10 12:05 pm Reply with quote

The last game I played (not counting games on my DS) that didn't require installing was Doom back in 1994...
drpunk
Kudos: 22

PostPosted: 3 Feb 10 12:07 pm Reply with quote

They given it an install cos they can't be doing with any 360 possibility chatter. By giving it an install then 360ers automatically hate it Wink
only_777
Kudos: 30

PostPosted: 3 Feb 10 1:11 pm Reply with quote

Dave_25 wrote:

I bet your same person that says that disc swoping on 360 is not an issue! Rolling Eyes

--------------

Before this gets taken the wrong way, disc swoping is not an issue, but nor is game installs. You can't just slate PS3 for installs then claim disc swoping is all smiles and rainbows.
Suivatam109PS3
Kudos: 23

PostPosted: 3 Feb 10 2:28 pm Reply with quote

Charlie Bell wrote:
This means that although the game is released on Feb 26, you don't actually start playing until the beginning of March...

Wink Laughing

Top Quality!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Article Comments All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: