Login to access exclusive gaming content, win competition prizes
and post on our forums. Don't have an account? Create one now!
Why should you join?
Click here for full benefits!
Follow our Twitter feedSee iPad games in action: http://bit.ly/aisbDs Anyone getting one?
SIGN IN/JOIN UP
GamesForumsCheatsStore
Mass Effect 2 source code says 'PS3' | Civilization Facebook beta delayed | The Secret World in-game footage | World of Warcraft patched | New Games On Demand added | Iwata: New Wii needs more than just HD | NiGHTS confirmed for Sega All-Stars Racing | BioShock 2 US launch plans | Heavy Rain requires 4.2GB install | NBA 2K10 sells over 2 million worldwide | Dante's Inferno review scores trickle out | Quantum Theory slips | More Prison Break screens and official website land | Mass Effect 3 release timed to "maximise quality" | Dante's Inferno DLC detailed | Mass Effect 2 sex video arrives | Namco Bandai cutting 630 jobs | Join CVG's Facebook fan page | God of War 3 rated '18' in UK | Alien vs Predator Survivor Mode trailer | Days of Thunder trailer released | PS3 Mass Effect 2 - EA offers 'no comment' | Madison naked in Heavy Rain video | Wii 2 "needs something new" - Iwata | Capcom: Western devs to only handle "established brands"
All|PC|PlayStation|Xbox|Nintendo|Download PC Games
Search CVG
Computer And Video Games - The latest gaming news, reviews, previews & movies
Apple unveils iPad
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic - View next topic  
Padua
Kudos: 27

PostPosted: 27 Jan 10 8:19 pm Reply with quote

It looks like the Apple iFlop to me.

How can you have the whole web in your hands if it can't display Flash? Shocked

I'd take a netbook over this any day or just stick with my iPhone!
voodoo341
Kudos: 40

PostPosted: 27 Jan 10 8:36 pm Reply with quote

fannypad
MassivBongFace
Kudos: 24

PostPosted: 27 Jan 10 8:37 pm Reply with quote

Well if I ever feel the need to waste a fat load of cash I will head straight for my nearest Apple store.
ASUS P5N-E Sli
4Gb PNY DDR2 RAM @ 960
BFG GTX285 OC2 Edition
Thermaltake Water Cooling
Nintendo DS
pmantis
Kudos: 8

PostPosted: 27 Jan 10 8:49 pm Reply with quote

psssh enough with this tablet pc bullshit, gimmie that iConsole now!
Black Mantis
Kudos: 35

PostPosted: 27 Jan 10 8:54 pm Reply with quote

I wasn't impressed by this at all. The iPhone look doesn't suit the size of the device imo and Apple should have started from the 32Gb model and scrapped the 16Gb model.
leefear1
Kudos: 33

PostPosted: 27 Jan 10 8:57 pm Reply with quote

Wow, apple have finally completely disappeared up their own bottom! Months of hype and they deliver a oversized iphone! How can steve jobs claim that netbooks are not good at anything while holding that piece of overpriced sh!t.

My netbook cost me �250, has a 160gb hard drive a 1.6 ghz processor and has 1GB ram alongside a 2GB readyboost sd card. It has USB ports, VGA port, 2 SD card ports and a network port. I can browse the net as good as pretty much anything and I can run flash apps. It also runs photoshop, visual studio 2008, lightroom 2 and pretty much anything else. The only thing it can't really do is full gaming as the GPU is not really up to much.

Steve Jobs claims that this ipad offers the best browsing experience he has ever had.... the thing does not have flash! (plus safari renders fonts in a particularly horrible way). He must have been browsing on lynx all his life if he thinks it offers the best browsing experience he has ever had.....

God I hate apple more and more every day...

The thing is they will sell millions of these things as people will buy anything as long as it is marketed well.
rak49
Kudos: 31

PostPosted: 27 Jan 10 9:11 pm Reply with quote

My mate develops apps for an iphone and he just told me how amazing this peice of kit is, how revolutinary it is...I really dont get it :S
altitude2k

PostPosted: 27 Jan 10 9:17 pm Reply with quote

I've got an iPhone. I've got a laptop. I honestly don't know why I would need such a costly device. Keyboard isn't as useable as a laptop and it's not portable like a phone and it'll be a very expensive purchase. It screams out inconvenient to me, and I simply don't get why I would ever need one of these.

If I were to get a tablet at all I'd wait and get a Windows 7 one. Wouldn't be any less attractive and you can actually do things with it. Rolling Eyes
jubbgi01
Kudos: 31

PostPosted: 27 Jan 10 9:20 pm Reply with quote

I'm a mac fan but this is a daft idea. It's a giant iPod. No camera, no expandable storage, it runs iphone's version of OS X rather than a proper OS, no flash. I wont be parting with my iphone, macbook or �400-600 anytime soon.
anakin22

PostPosted: 27 Jan 10 9:21 pm Reply with quote

I disagree with all of you.
I can easily see this becoming a huge succes, spawning a whole new format/way of computing/gaming.

It's a book format, get it.

That hasn't been done before.

A interactive book page. No keyboard, no clumsy whatever. This was built to be a winner. To start a new step in this ever evolving evolution towards the future.

In the future we will all be reading digital newspapers.
Well, the future is all around us, happening as we speak.

The interactive book format will gain mass market succes because of it's size (I saw this comming cause there's a market for it, but I would have made it A4 shaped. Like a clipboard, but that will come in time) and because it is a part of the hugely succesfull I-whatever family.

That guy Steve Jacobs deserves his paycheck, whatever that is. That guy saved apple. Again.

I don't have an I phone. I'm not in to all that, yet, but it's fascinating to see trends beeing made.

This will be a new succes, I'm pretty sure. Maybe in a year or two when you look at it in the hands of Averege Joe, and you start to want one, you will finally agree.

Personally I find the format too flat vs how high it is. Clipboard A4 would have been better. More office suited, with notebook, briefcase and all, but it will find it's place.

Man, wish that I worked at apple getting these ideas.

Arh, forget it, I just wish I had their money Cool
darry

PostPosted: 27 Jan 10 9:38 pm Reply with quote

Quote:

Ahahahahahahahahahaha, ahahahahahahaha, hahahahah, hoooooooo, aha, aha, heh, heheheh, ah, ha ha... Heh.

Good one.

That's right, folks Apple have made the first EVER tablet computer that is less powerful that anything else! Does it run normal applications? Of course not! That would waste your time and money! This way you can buy all new apps that do less than your other software, which means you don't have to worry about what to spend your money on. Apple have taken care of that for you.

I mean for God's sake, it doesn't even have a camera. And all your chat about 'book' format - it has a 10 hour battery life. E-reader will be kicking its bottom before it even comes out. This springs to mind Click Here
originalbadboy
Kudos: 22

PostPosted: 27 Jan 10 9:44 pm Reply with quote

I agree that with the above poster it will be a huge sucess ... doesn't mean it deserves to be though ..

Basically Apple have been very clever and just taken the iPhone and scaled it up, knowing that everybody will recognise it straight away ..

Dont get me wrong Im not anti Apple, I have a mac mini and love it to bits, however I detest everything that the iPhone stands for tbh ... and everyone seems to have one its bloody daft ...

Personally I will wait for a decent win7 tablet to appear which wont be too long anyway .. Would rather have the flexibity of one of those than this ... it doesn't even have OSX on it ffs
leefear1

PostPosted: 27 Jan 10 9:50 pm Reply with quote

anakin22 wrote:
I disagree with all of you.
I can easily see this becoming a huge succes, spawning a whole new format/way of computing/gaming.

It's a book format, get it.

A interactive book page. No keyboard, no clumsy whatever. This was built to be a winner. To start a new step in this ever evolving evolution towards the future.

In the future we will all be reading digital newspapers.
Well, the future is all around us, happening as we speak.

The interactive book format will gain mass market succes because of it's size (I saw this comming cause there's a market for it, but I would have made it A4 shaped. Like a clipboard, but that will come in time) and because it is a part of the hugely succesfull I-whatever family.

That guy Steve Jacobs deserves his paycheck, whatever that is. That guy saved apple. Again.

I don't have an I phone. I'm not in to all that, yet, but it's fascinating to see trends beeing made.

This will be a new succes, I'm pretty sure. Maybe in a year or two when you look at it in the hands of Averege Joe, and you start to want one, you will finally agree.

Personally I find the format too flat vs how high it is. Clipboard A4 would have been better. More office suited, with notebook, briefcase and all, but it will find it's place.

Man, wish that I worked at apple getting these ideas.

Arh, forget it, I just wish I had their money Cool

You are joking I hope...

Apple have not invented a new format. Tablets have been around for decades! Also while you were thinking about this new book format did Kindle, Nook, Sony e-reader etc etc not pop into your mind (Apple have not invented a new way to read books)? Reading e-books on this thing will be a nightmare! E-books normally have e-ink screens which are perfect for reading as they cause less strain on the eyes and offer the other benefit of massive battery life as they only use power when turning pages. This has non of those benefits. I could just as easily read the ebooks on my netbook. The cost is just stupid!

I may have jumped the gun though and your post may (and hopefully is) just sarcasm.
anakin22

PostPosted: 27 Jan 10 9:50 pm Reply with quote

Hmm.. more nay-sayer while I wrote my previous reply.

Ok, here's one more:
Portable gaming.

No more tiny psp/ds screens.

I'not, but everbody who's into portable gaming should cherris this.

'Just whip the screen out and play.'

And books.

Why buy books when you can buy one template, one page, and then any book can appear.

'Just whip your screen out and play.'

If this is done right it WILL gain mass market succes.

Personally, as said I'm not into all of that, so I'm not attacking you other posters, nor hailing apple in any way whatsoever, I'm just beeing realistic.
I also, like you guys, think it looks a little clumsy and silly, but that was also my opinion regarding the I-phone.... and see where that went, in no time everybody seem to be getting it.

(And I-pods are so common now (here in Denmark) that it's getting surreal.)

So in all I still predict this a winner, because people seem to have embrased the I-brand.

May well be sad, but look around you. It actually is true.

And whith that said, haters or not, I still respect a man with a vision that pushes the limit of our everyday world.

Most of you guys just seem to be moaning and not much else.

It's not that it provokes me, I just wonder where all this anger comes from.

Envy? Self confidence? jealousy?

Why not try something new:

Serious/constructive critisism. Wink
originalbadboy
Kudos: 22

PostPosted: 27 Jan 10 9:59 pm Reply with quote

anakin22 wrote:

Ok, here's one more:
Portable gaming.

And books.

Why buy books when you can buy one template, one page, and then any book can appear.

Personally, as said I'm not into all of that, so I'm not attacking you other posters, nor hailing apple in any way whatsoever, I'm just beeing realistic.
I also, like you guys, think it looks a little clumsy and silly, but that was also my opinion regarding the I-phone.... and see where that went, in no time everybody seem to be getting it.

So in all I still predict this a winner, because people seem to have embrased the I-brand.

And whith that said, haters or not, I still respect a man with a vision that pushes the limit of our everyday world.

Shares in Apple by any chance ...? Rolling Eyes
darry

PostPosted: 27 Jan 10 9:59 pm Reply with quote

The only thing I'm a little angry about is that this will sell millions because it's Apple. It's like the MacBook Air a few years back - great bit of design, impressive, but ultimately utterly useless and pointless.

As an E-Book reader this will be completely outclassed by every dedicated device because of the screen and battery life.

It's too big to truly be a portable gaming device, as it's not really any smaller than a netbook. The reason DS/PSP screens are small is so you can put them in your pocket.

It doesn't run a proper OS, so it's not going to be that handy for work, and I can't see anyone writing full documents with a touchscreen keyboard.

There are no USB ports.

No. USB. Ports.

Maybe in 6 months when they update it and release another version they'll have a product that is a bit closer to being useful. Until then, you could buy a Windows/Linux laptop that wasn't much bigger and was a proper computer that let you do things.
leefear1

PostPosted: 27 Jan 10 10:07 pm Reply with quote

anakin22 wrote:

Ok, here's one more:
Portable gaming.

And books.

I just can't understand what you are getting at? If is a bigger screen you want then my �250 netbook has a 10.1" screen (ie bigger than the ipad) it also has a faster processor and much more storage. Oh and it has buttons which are often useful for gaming. I can also plug in my 360 joypad etc. Currently playing Cannon fodder on winuae on my netbook.

I don't understand why you think this ipad has come up with anything new apart from changing way over the top prices for what is a netbook lite.

And stop with the ebook thing as this ipad is no better for reading ebooks than any laptop or netbook. if you have any understanding of technology at all you will understand why e-ink is the way forward for ebooks.
bazzatuk
Kudos: 32

PostPosted: 27 Jan 10 10:11 pm Reply with quote

As with all Apple gear, it's stylish which means it will be overpriced, under specified and pretty much useless in business related scenarios.

It essentially is an iPhone, just larger.
anakin22

PostPosted: 27 Jan 10 10:16 pm Reply with quote

Ok, forget the 'new format' taken litterately.

I'm that little in to that. My bad, my loss, I know Cool

But look around you in maybe 2-3 years and let's talk again.

Look at the exponentially rising amount of I-pods and I-phones around you in everyday picture.

Why?

I-tablet is easy to use.

As I-phone.

As I-pod.

And they have been/will be ambrased by mass market because they don't give a damm about some kindle nook sony thing. These users, like myself, are not into all of these nerdy gadgets.

They don't interest us.

The I-brand has been accepted by the mass market and is therefore, by definition not nerdy anymore.

This is the new member of the I-family, and the world seem to have embrased that brand long ago, even deemed it 'cool'.

Mass market don't have strong individual opinions, they usually follow trends. Also sad but true.

So, no, I'm not beeing sarcastic. But sorry for the 'inventing a new format' on a taken litteraly note.

It was meant as in 'making the format main stream in the western mass market in maybe 2-3 yars.' (running improvements and price-cuts a factor ofcourse)
darry

PostPosted: 27 Jan 10 10:23 pm Reply with quote

So all you're saying is that it'll sell due to its branding. I can agree with that.
leefear1

PostPosted: 27 Jan 10 10:27 pm Reply with quote

anakin22 wrote:
Ok, forget the 'new format' taken litterately.

I'm that little in to that. My bad, my loss, I know Cool

But look around you in maybe 2-3 years and let's talk again.

Look at the exponentially rising amount of I-pods and I-phones around you in everyday picture.

Why?

I-tablet is easy to use.

As I-phone.

As I-pod.

And they have been/will be ambrased by mass market because they don't give a damm about some kindle nook sony thing. These users, like myself, are not into all of these nerdy gadgets.

They don't interest us.

The I-brand has been accepted by the mass market and is therefore, by definition not nerdy anymore.

This is the new member of the I-family, and the world seem to have embrased that brand long ago, even deemed it 'cool'.

Mass market don't have strong individual opinions, they usually follow trends. Also sad but true.

So, no, I'm not beeing sarcastic. But sorry for the 'inventing a new format' on a taken litteraly note.

It was meant as in 'making the format main stream in the western mass market in maybe 2-3 yars.' (running improvements and price-cuts a factor ofcourse)

I will agree that it will sell loads. The public has shown that they know nothing about technology and will buy what ever is advertised the best (which apple are great at). Just look at the ipod, there are many players that are cheaper with better sound quality but they are always overlooked. I however love my Samsung P3.

I do suggest though that if you want the best technology you look into things a bit more. Just buying apple because you can't be bothered to look elsewhere is simply stupid. Would you buy a new car without testing a few competitors? Are you one of the many people that believes Apple invented copy and paste on phones?
Unition
Kudos: 5

PostPosted: 27 Jan 10 10:32 pm Reply with quote

This is ridiculous! Who wants to hold it whilst watching a video? I know, better prop it up against something - very cool ... Oh yeah, I love the fact that my chiropractor will be laughing all the way to the bank, after my neck stops working from typing at an awkward angle. One finger typing - ingenious! Best go out and buy a giant sized jacket so I can fit it in my pocket, or shall I spend my money on a suitcase? On second thought, I'll just use it at home or at the office, it's so needed. It will be like ... owning a computer, just worse. Then again, thank God I can look at a screen to read a book. I hate paper, it's so bland. I need shiny shiny shiny! This is going to flop BIG TIME.
anakin22

PostPosted: 27 Jan 10 10:34 pm Reply with quote

No, I don't have anything to do with apple. I'm a normal poor danish guy with a normal job (nursery assistant), painting pictures and making electronic music on the side. and playing quality games of course.

I agree with darry Laughing

It beats the laptop as a book, because you dont flip the thing open and reveal a gigantic keyboard the size of the whole darn screen.
You just whip out the screen and touch it.
See many female laptop users on a portable basis, in say a bus stop or a train?
People mostly use laptops for work stuff, when on the road, apart from the odd movie)
But to just touch the screen and nothing else. Women will love this. It will be mass market.

'just whip it out and play/read/surf/whatever' (insert 1950 style commercial voiceover)

Anyway, thinkin of buying ME2 tomorrow if it's out in Denmark. Is is any good or what, cmon guys?

Last edited by anakin22 on 27 Jan 10 10:38 pm; edited 2 times in total
leefear1

PostPosted: 27 Jan 10 10:34 pm Reply with quote

Unition wrote:
This is ridiculous! Who wants to hold it whilst watching a video? I know, better prop it up against something - very cool ... Oh yeah, I love the fact that my chiropractor will be laughing all the way to the bank, after my neck stops working from typing at an awkward angle. One finger typing - ingenious! Best go out and buy a giant sized jacket so I can fit it in my pocket, or shall I spend my money on a suitcase? On second thought, I'll just use it at home or at the office, it's so needed. It will be like ... owning a computer, just worse. Then again, thank God I can look at a screen to read a book. I hate paper, it's so bland. I need shiny shiny shiny! This is going to flop BIG TIME.

I think you are forgetting that there are millions that have bought ipods and iphones so this thing will sell loads no matter how useless it is.
darry

PostPosted: 27 Jan 10 10:38 pm Reply with quote

Quote:
Anyway, thinkin of buying ME2 tomorrow

That's a much better subject to be talking about! Disappointingly I won't be able to buy it for a least three weeks due to travelling and work... Rubbish! Still, it'll be all the sweeter when I get it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Article Comments All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: