Login to access exclusive gaming content, win competition prizes
and post on our forums. Don't have an account? Create one now!
Why should you join?
Click here for full benefits!
Follow our Twitter feedGrab your Free Star Trek Online beta key! 1500 live on the home page at 4pm GMT!
SIGN IN/JOIN UP
GamesForumsCheatsStore
Wii Netflix lacking HD is 'no loss', says Nintendo | Wii 2 'not just a HD upgrade', says Reggie | Free! Star Trek Online beta keys | Gran Turismo 5 3D out this summer - report | New GT5 trailer, screens of awesome | Counter-Strike 2 petition hits Facebook | Valve's Gabe Newell awarded industry honour | Saints Row, Red Faction developer at work again | I Am Alive gets complete reboot | All-new Ghost Recon confirmed | Rockstar responds to Red Dead "problems" | DJ Hero 2 confirmed | iPhone apps lose $450 million to piracy | Sega All-Stars Racing release date confirmed | Beyond Good & Evil 2 still in production | Picross 3D release date confirmed | Clash of the Titans screenshots | The Last Guardian is GamesRadar's most anticipated of 2010 | First Tekken movie trailer | More Sega All-Stars Racing characters outed | This week's Nintendo downloads | Halo: Reach takes series to a 'new level' - Microsoft | North America's bestselling games of 2009 are... | NPD: Nintendo software dominates December | Nintendo DS2 announcement "within 8 months"
All|PC|PlayStation|Xbox|Nintendo|Download PC Games
Search CVG
Computer And Video Games - The latest gaming news, reviews, previews & movies
Valve's Gabe Newell awarded industry honour
View previous topic - View next topic  
StonecoldMC
Kudos: 39

PostPosted: 15 Jan 10 3:27 pm Reply with quote

Congratulations to Mr Newell, some well deserved recognition indeed.
badgerpog
Kudos: 30

PostPosted: 15 Jan 10 3:28 pm Reply with quote

Fair enough. Also as the Half Life series pioneered some of the things we take for granted these days...
altitude2k
Kudos: 33

PostPosted: 15 Jan 10 3:32 pm Reply with quote

I can't think of anyone in the industry more deserving.
feedel
Kudos: 10

PostPosted: 15 Jan 10 3:58 pm Reply with quote

Half life was a revolution in FPS, Steam was a revolution in Digital Distribution. No one deserves it more than him. Unless they wanted to give it to me for my hello world app i did a few years ago.
h3r3tic666
Kudos: 13

PostPosted: 15 Jan 10 4:14 pm Reply with quote

Well and truly deserved ! congratulation Wink Now how about some Ep3 news ?
Mogs
Kudos: 35

PostPosted: 15 Jan 10 4:23 pm Reply with quote

Gabe FTW!
Mark240473
Kudos: 37

PostPosted: 15 Jan 10 4:24 pm Reply with quote

I can't argue with that. Although, when it comes to inspirational developers, Shigsy and Kojima immediately spring to mind, rather than Newell.

Maybe that's because I am not a PC nut though.

Anyway, congratulations.

Now please make some games for the PS3 and stop being a stubborn sod.

Laughing
ricflair
Kudos: 34

PostPosted: 15 Jan 10 4:29 pm Reply with quote

Well deserved.

Has he been given it before, but I'd go for Miyamoto as a rather more obvious (and more deserving, in my opinion) choice. It might be a bold thing to say, but I doubt anyone else will have the same effect as him over such a long period in this industry. Although different times and conditions will play a huge part, not that nobody else will 'be as good'.

As he said himself, he doubts he'd even get a job at nintendo now. Most other long term staff members/directors end up being like annoying mouth pieces like Balmer or Kaz, without actually having any direct effect on the games.
kimoak

PostPosted: 15 Jan 10 4:33 pm Reply with quote

Can't argue with that when you look at the shortlist. I chuckled when I saw Popcap there.
pishers

PostPosted: 15 Jan 10 4:42 pm Reply with quote

Mark240473 wrote:
I can't argue with that. Although, when it comes to inspirational developers, Shigsy and Kojima immediately spring to mind, rather than Newell.

Maybe that's because I am not a PC nut though.

Anyway, congratulations.

Now please make some games for the PS3 and stop being a stubborn sod.

Laughing

i dont think mr newell is actually a dev, think he is just a business man that left MS to setup a games dev. the best thing he did was suppport modders and employ the best ones - cheap yet effective way of finding talent.

its hard to think of another dev that has come from nowehere in the last 12 years and produced such quality games and one that changed a genre for the better in 1998 and then another that did it again in 2004.
4everutd
Kudos: 31

PostPosted: 15 Jan 10 5:06 pm Reply with quote

please what the hell? they havent made a decent game ever, i played the orange box on xbox and its so dull and boring. one other thing how did half life 2 get so many awards for its story?
anyway there are much more deseving peeps/devs that deserve this
i have but need to play- ac2, fifa10,the sabatoure, zelda st, brutal legend, f3 goty
kill4pie
Kudos: 13

PostPosted: 15 Jan 10 5:39 pm Reply with quote

Quote:
please what the hell? they havent made a decent game ever, i played the orange box on xbox and its so dull and boring. one other thing how did half life 2 get so many awards for its story?

Just because you were to thick to understand the story of the Half Life series dosen't mean it wasn't good. And you have clearly never played any of VALVe's games on PC (which you need to do to appreciate them fully).
nathar
Kudos: 21

PostPosted: 15 Jan 10 5:50 pm Reply with quote

4everutd wrote:
there are much more deseving peeps/devs that deserve this

Please give us the list of those who you feel are more deserving? Im looking forward to reading more of your wisdom.
kimoak

PostPosted: 15 Jan 10 9:35 pm Reply with quote

4everutd wrote:

Exclamation

Seriously??!?
4everutd
Kudos: 31

PostPosted: 15 Jan 10 10:05 pm Reply with quote

hideo Kojima, Miyamoto as someone else said, also maybe ken lavine. oh and Shinji Mikami.
i have but need to play- ac2, fifa10,the sabatoure, zelda st, brutal legend, f3 goty
bubblyofart
Kudos: 29

PostPosted: 15 Jan 10 10:51 pm Reply with quote

congrats to Gabe Newell!!!

Now where the hell is Episode 3?! lol

If its released alongside Portal 2 (we all know its coming) then all will be forgiven. Very Happy
Paradaz - UK
Kudos: 37

PostPosted: 16 Jan 10 12:05 am Reply with quote

4everutd wrote:

You played it on xbox........so you probably weren't aware that people were playing the same game in 2004, which was probably about 3 years before you had even heard of the game, along with HD resolutions, online multiplayer and game modifications....all of which were available back then to PC Gamers and had been for a long, long time before that.

Back in 2004, it was great..however it did lose some of the impact later in its life after poor conversions especially the PS3 version.

This is exactly why console only gamers wax lyrical about their favourite games. PC Gamers has had everything that a console gamer has now....but only 10 years ago, some of it just isn't impressive to PC gamers like it is to console gamers...

What next? 3D games and head tracking lol? Like that isn't over 7 years old either!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Article Comments All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: