Login to access exclusive gaming content, win competition prizes
and post on our forums. Don't have an account? Create one now!
Why should you join?
Click here for full benefits!
Follow our Twitter feedLook what EA did to the Dante's book! http://bit.ly/4wCg38
SIGN IN/JOIN UP
GamesForumsCheatsStore
Perfect Dark Zero release weeks away? | Alan Wake screens get spooky | Serious Sam HD: The First Encounter live | Dragon Age DLC released | Assassins Creed 3 release date this year? | Splinter Cell: Conviction delayed AGAIN | God Of War Trilogy - a £110 GAME exclusive | Sony: MAG will make you buy a PS3 | New Final Fantasy XIII trailer is lush | Aliens vs Predator DLC 'already in creation' | Metroid: Other M release this year | MAG release date confirmed | Lips: Party Classics details | MW2 was UK's best-seller in 2009 | Modern Warfare 2 smashes past $1 billion sales | God of War 3 release dated | Red Dead Redemption has 'huge problems' - report | Xbox 360 is "fully 3D capable" | Netflix for Wii coming this spring | The Old Republic release date confirmed | New OnLive pics unveiled | Naughty Bear trailer isn't naughty | Capcom to revive classic series for Natal | Microsoft: Streaming tech is 'limited' | Star Trek Online beta opens
All|PC|PlayStation|Xbox|Nintendo|Download PC Games
Search CVG
Computer And Video Games - The latest gaming news, reviews, previews & movies
MS: "There's no need to launch a new Xbox"
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic - View next topic  
apolloa
Kudos: 22

PostPosted: 11 Jan 10 1:14 pm Reply with quote

No comments on here yet??
A serious question I ask then is have MS actually solved the reliability problems now? If not then it's arrogant to state you won't redesign something that's flawed, that's why I jumped ship, after having 3 of them.
I also suspect this is being stated as Sony have not said anything about the PS4, then again they are probably still out of pocket from the PS3 developments cost. But they at least update it with the Slim, can't see why MS can't do that with the 360?

Like the idea of Natal though, looks very interesting, different to what the Wii brought to the games world.
No doubt a flame war will now continue hence..............
StonecoldMC
Kudos: 39

PostPosted: 11 Jan 10 1:21 pm Reply with quote

E3 2012, the first reveal of a new Xbox.

Thats what id go for anyway looking at how this generation is panning out.
flash501
Kudos: 36

PostPosted: 11 Jan 10 1:21 pm Reply with quote

Quote:
"The Xbox 360 was designed for a long life

That made me laugh. Hasn't he hard of RROD?. Wink
gogo65uk
Kudos: 28

PostPosted: 11 Jan 10 1:22 pm Reply with quote

I don't know about that it seems flame wars start when someone in the industry talks up the ps3. Xbox gets away with it Smile
steve_2003
Kudos: 35

PostPosted: 11 Jan 10 1:22 pm Reply with quote

I can't see Sony or Microsoft releasing a new console for at least another couple of years. They both have powerful hardware (being enhanced with add-ons). Nintendo on the other hand, I can see producing a HD based Wii this year.

Nintendo Christmas 2010:- Wii HD.
Microsoft 2012:- Xbox 3D, Live based console with built in Natal.
Sony 2012:- Playstation 4 with 3D space controllers.

Smile
Toasted_PSP
Kudos: 33

PostPosted: 11 Jan 10 1:26 pm Reply with quote

With NATAL on the way and with the RROD problem finally brought down to an acceptable level this is really the best possible time to launch a new 360, a nice slim model, with NATAL and with the RROD behind them could see the system receive a nice lift in sales.

And to think, loads of people thought Sony were crazy with the 10 year plan for the PS3, with MS on board for a long life for the 360 that will only help Sony reach that goal.

A slim really is needed for MS though
oOPuPPeTOo
Kudos: 26

PostPosted: 11 Jan 10 1:30 pm Reply with quote

Yea well, lets see what they say when sales of 360 start to fall off, also I think Microsoft are putting a little too much faith in Natal (you never know it could flop).
leefear1

PostPosted: 11 Jan 10 1:33 pm Reply with quote

apolloa wrote:
No comments on here yet??
A serious question I ask then is have MS actually solved the reliability problems now? If not then it's arrogant to state you won't redesign something that's flawed, that's why I jumped ship, after having 3 of them.
I also suspect this is being stated as Sony have not said anything about the PS4, then again they are probably still out of pocket from the PS3 developments cost. But they at least update it with the Slim, can't see why MS can't do that with the 360?

Like the idea of Natal though, looks very interesting, different to what the Wii brought to the games world.
No doubt a flame war will now continue hence..............

Yes the reliability problems are now solved with the new machines. Sony are rumored to do a Nintendo and release a more powerful PS3 however Nintendo did obviously release game changing controls so we will see what sony will do for PS4.

As for Natal, I just don't get it. I can see how good it could be for office apps etc but how do you move around in a game with it while using your hands to interact? I just can't see how it will work for games. (It is very clever though).
svd_grasshopper
Kudos: 34

PostPosted: 11 Jan 10 1:33 pm Reply with quote

unless they think suddenly their user base would be happy with worse graphics and performance with the 'bonus' of motion controls.

cant have software driven motion and top end games.

no, the future is not natal. they can continue to make normal games, but motion will be a fad. watch the egg blow up in microsofts FACE!

the wii has the worst attach rate (even with the most amount of consoles out there by far)

this isnt gonna pull real gamers to the 360. and casuals will stay with the wii.
ricflair

PostPosted: 11 Jan 10 1:38 pm Reply with quote

Reading the actual article on the Guardian site, does the guy writing know anything aboyt games?

"Most console wars result in a big win for one player -- Atari VCS, Nintendo NES, Sega Mega Drive, Sony PlayStation or whatever -- with the others failing. This encourages the failing companies to move to the next generation first to get a competitive edge.

So the Megadrive sold more than the SNES worldwide did it? Yep, and the SNES was such a massive failure that Nintendo did all they could to get the N64 out of the door first!

Journalists? Pah!

And for the last time, attach rates have nought to do with the sales, that's the point! And the PS3's was the lowest earlier this year, may well be different now though.
altitude2k

PostPosted: 11 Jan 10 1:39 pm Reply with quote

svd_grasshopper wrote:
unless they think suddenly their user base would be happy with worse graphics and performance with the 'bonus' of motion controls.

no, the future is not natal. they can continue to make normal games, but motion will be a fad. watch the egg blow up in microsofts FACE!

the wii has the worst attach rate (even with the most amount of consoles out there by far)

this isnt gonna pull real gamers to the 360. and casuals will stay with the wii.

By your logic, Sony's wand will also do the same thing. Good effort.
leefear1

PostPosted: 11 Jan 10 1:40 pm Reply with quote

steve_2003 wrote:
I can't see Sony or Microsoft releasing a new console for at least another couple of years. They both have powerful hardware (being enhanced with add-ons). Nintendo on the other hand, I can see producing a HD based Wii this year.

Smile

I can't see Nintendo releasing a Wii HD. They are close to the lifecycle end and therefore are surely more likely to release a whole new console. If they do and it turns out (as rumoured) a return to the graphical powerhouse, then MS will need to come up with a new console. Especially as I would expect the next nintendo console to compete quite well on the online and media front judging by the change of heart that has been shown by nintendo.
svd_grasshopper

PostPosted: 11 Jan 10 1:41 pm Reply with quote

the point was casuals already have the wii. why would they buy a 360?!

and motion doesnt drive games sales.

fail all round.

motion will fade into the background and normal game development will continue as normal.
altitude2k

PostPosted: 11 Jan 10 1:43 pm Reply with quote

leefear1 wrote:
steve_2003 wrote:

Smile

I can't see Nintendo releasing a Wii HD. They are close to the lifecycle end and therefore are surely more likely to release a whole new console. If they do and it turns out (as rumoured) a return to the graphical powerhouse, then MS will need to come up with a new console. Especially as I would expect the next nintendo console to compete quite well on the online and media front judging by the change of heart that has been shown by nintendo.

Let me remind you of the following set of Nintendo hardware releases: DS, DS Lite, DSi, DS XL. I'd say they're more likely to upgrade the Wii than release a new console.
svd_grasshopper

PostPosted: 11 Jan 10 1:46 pm Reply with quote

altitude2k wrote:
svd_grasshopper wrote:

yes, idiot.

sony havent touted motion as the future though.

as the 360 peaks, they are relying on motion to bring them up to their next console...

just as the ps3 starts to get better and specific games like agent that use the BR drive without worrying about DVD limits.

we will start to see it pull away. while you are all flapping about in front of the tv like gimps.
ledickolas
Kudos: 30

PostPosted: 11 Jan 10 1:48 pm Reply with quote

The xbox 360 was designed for a long life was it? What an absolute a hole. How can he say that with a straight face, and how can CVG post this story without any hint of irony? My xbox is on it's way to germany, this being the third time I have had to send my console off. Designed to give my a bloody hernia is what the 360 is.

What an embarrassingly idiotic f**k.
altitude2k

PostPosted: 11 Jan 10 1:49 pm Reply with quote

svd_grasshopper wrote:
altitude2k wrote:
svd_grasshopper wrote:

yes, idiot.

as the 360 peaks, they are relying on motion to bring them up to their next console...

just as the ps3 starts to get better and specific games like agent that use the BR drive without worrying about DVD limits.

we will start to see it pull away. while you are all flapping about in front of the tv like gimps.

I'm sure you're very concerned about the BR capacity when you're on your own touching your EyePet inappropriately. Now THERE's a way to drive technology forward Rolling Eyes
eltonbird
Kudos: 26

PostPosted: 11 Jan 10 1:50 pm Reply with quote

I think with MS and Sony both sticking with their current hardware for the foreseeable, it would be very interesting for Nintendo to launch the HD Wii (I'd like to see it called the WiiII for comedy reasons!).

Now if they launched it backwardly compatible, with a hight end capability that outstrips PS3 and 360, (surely not that hard, there are much better GPUs at affordable prices in the PC space) and have a proper pad for proper games, they could end up in a very strong position.
only_777
Kudos: 29

PostPosted: 11 Jan 10 1:51 pm Reply with quote

I think there is a lot of time left in the 360 and in this generation as a whole. I can see this being the longest ever, infact Sony's 10 year cycle could be spot on.

Microsoft don't need to bring a new machine out becuase I still don't think dev's have quite maxxed it out yet. Plus MS have shown with NXE how they can change the whole experence with the system with just a new firmware update.

Sony clearly have lots of untapped power in the PS3, plus the cell processor is still not fully unlocked.

Its Nintendo that will release a new machine first. 3rd parties are pulling out of the Wii fast, and the attach rate on the system is dire. They are still selling like hot cakes but even Nintendo have admited there is a problem with hardware sales starting to slow now.
svd_grasshopper

PostPosted: 11 Jan 10 1:57 pm Reply with quote

altitude2k wrote:
svd_grasshopper wrote:
altitude2k wrote:
svd_grasshopper wrote:

yes, idiot.

I'm sure you're very concerned about the BR capacity when you're on your own touching your EyePet inappropriately. Now THERE's a way to drive technology forward Rolling Eyes

most garbage post ever.

you do tend to talk absolute shite when you cant argue in your favour anymore.
altitude2k

PostPosted: 11 Jan 10 1:59 pm Reply with quote

svd_grasshopper wrote:
altitude2k wrote:
svd_grasshopper wrote:
altitude2k wrote:
svd_grasshopper wrote:

yes, idiot.

most garbage post ever.

you do tend to talk absolute shite when you cant argue in your favour anymore.

And you, faceless anon, managed to miss the point entirely.
shellster2
Kudos: 36

PostPosted: 11 Jan 10 2:03 pm Reply with quote

my elite died on friday. E74 - nice.

luckily i have another 360 i can use otherwise i'd be pretty p'd off.

the 360 will be around for a while. i'm not convinced that Natal will do much. if it just ends up woth a load of casual crap then count me out. if on the other hand stuff like fable, forza and some other big hitters use it well then i'm all up for it.

i'm with whoever said the Big N will release a new console. not an updated Wii. Nintendo have already indicated they won't do a Wii HD as that would not constitute innovation.
leefear1

PostPosted: 11 Jan 10 2:05 pm Reply with quote

altitude2k wrote:
leefear1 wrote:
steve_2003 wrote:

Smile

Let me remind you of the following set of Nintendo hardware releases: DS, DS Lite, DSi, DS XL. I'd say they're more likely to upgrade the Wii than release a new console.

Not when they have all but confirmed that they are working on a new console altogether... If a new console is on its way in the next 12-24 months then they are not going to release a Wii HD. It would not make any sense as it may affect the sales of the new console.
leefear1

PostPosted: 11 Jan 10 2:07 pm Reply with quote

svd_grasshopper wrote:

Yet another uninformed and ignorant comment by SVD... What a surprise.. Rolling Eyes
feedel
Kudos: 10

PostPosted: 11 Jan 10 2:08 pm Reply with quote

Someone said earlier that the ps4 will be 3d.

Sony are allready testing 3d Games on PS3. They had a demo of Wipeout fusion in 3d. Cnet said it was really good and promising. And sony reckon they can run 3d games at 1080P. Meaning you could see your favourite games in 3d. something like Gran Turismo was mentioned.

As for the topic of this thread. The xbox's lifespan is coming to an end, I seriously hope that microsoft have not banked their future sucess on the natal. If microsoft were to start developing a new console now they've have such a huge advantage. i don't see why they are trying to get a market which has allready been taken by the wii.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Article Comments All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: