Login to access exclusive gaming content, win competition prizes
and post on our forums. Don't have an account? Create one now!
Why should you join?
Click here for full benefits!
Follow our Twitter feedModern Warfare 2 DLC "exclusively first" on 360: http://tiny.cc/z8495
SIGN IN/JOIN UP
GamesForumsCheatsStore
FIFA 'beating the heck out of Pro Evo' | Fable III reveal next month | Greenpeace report slams Nintendo... again | Official: Heavy Rain out Feb 26 | Microsoft: 3D still has hurdles to clear | The greatest Nintendo gaming moment of all time is... | Ninety-Nine Nights II release date "spring" | EA plans 'attack' on Call Of Duty success | Bayonetta does Playboy | Microsoft treating Natal 'as a new console' | Call of Duty MMO is a go? | This week's Nintendo downloads | Nintendo's first Wii game for 2010 is... | Red Dead Redemption screenshots | God Of War 3 is a 'must have' - Sony | Heavy Rain release date outed for US | Left 4 Dead 2 gets free Xbox weekend | Modern Warfare 2 supremo making graphic novel | Halo Reach image leaks | Lost Planet 2 screens uncovered | Dead Or Alive 5 "in production" for PS3 | 10 new countries to get XBL Video Marketplace | Tatsunoko vs. Capcom: Ultimate All-Stars screens | Blomkamp on District 9 game (fooking prawns) | Modern Warfare 2 DLC "exclusively first" on 360
All|PC|PlayStation|Xbox|Nintendo|Download PC Games
Search CVG
Computer And Video Games - The latest gaming news, reviews, previews & movies
GT5 boxart and screens
Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic - View next topic  
BattleMoose87
Kudos: 26

PostPosted: 6 Jan 10 8:10 pm Reply with quote

I was hoping that boxart was for the US release as it seems more their kind of box cover. It's fairly f'ugly to be honest. I liked the simpleness of the GT4 box more than this cluttered mess.

Maybe this is a new ploy by publishers to get people buying the collector's editions with prettier boxart? At least that's my excuse for buying the CE of Mass Effect 2 Laughing
SavageEvil
Kudos: 17

PostPosted: 6 Jan 10 9:20 pm Reply with quote

I fail to see the clutter of a cut away door open view of the car, its the same as GT4's just the door is open now. I like the box art though, simple and to the point. Wickedly detailed and just plain sexy.
I read up that the rest of us might be getting GT 5 by the end of March, it shouldnt be too far off, since they just had the OPM editorial.
chunkyboymania
Kudos: 30

PostPosted: 6 Jan 10 9:21 pm Reply with quote

Mmmm I'm trying to like it but agree it definitely suits the American market. Americans are so unsubtle when it comes to graphic design. I guess if that's what's shoved in your face all the while you grow to like it out of ignorance.

I expect this isn't the Euro box art and we will get something superior.
BattleMoose87

PostPosted: 6 Jan 10 9:43 pm Reply with quote

chunkyboymania wrote:

No such luck. It's got the PEGI ratings label on the lower left corner.

@SavageEvil: the GT4 box was similar but it was just so much more subtle and elegant. It had nice clean lines and the GT logo wasn't plastered on top of the car like with this one. Also, the red of the 'T' shouldn't be placed so close to the red door as it clashes.

All of this is nitpicking though, as it's the actual game that matters. Isn't this boxart premature for a game supposedly coming out in summer?

Last edited by BattleMoose87 on 6 Jan 10 9:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
badgerpog

PostPosted: 6 Jan 10 9:45 pm Reply with quote

It's a very nice car though!
Sleepaphobic
Kudos: 24

PostPosted: 6 Jan 10 9:56 pm Reply with quote

Wow you guys are arguing over box art. Nice...
Jensonjet

PostPosted: 6 Jan 10 10:13 pm Reply with quote

chunkyboymania wrote:
Mmmm I'm trying to like it but agree it definitely suits the American market. Americans are so unsubtle when it comes to graphic design. I guess if that's what's shoved in your face all the while you grow to like it out of ignorance.

It's clear that you have an immense dislike of Americans but using a videogame cover design to express that is unbelievable. Your hatred must be pretty deep. To suggest this design would suit the ignorant or that all American design lacks subtlety is a pretty pathetic sweeping statement. Not to mention utterly incorrect, immature and (rather ironically) ignorant.

Have you looked at any videogame covers, new or old? Many of them have very, how do you put it 'unsubtle' cover designs. I would ask you to explain what makes a game cover specifically designed for Americans than another nation but you would end up embarrassing yourself further and highlighting how little you understand on the subject.

Had you specifically targeted males of a particular age group your argument might have had a little validity. Instead you've shown a contempt for Americans, a lack of knowledge and have come across as a bit dumb really. If you must express your hatred for a nation, by all means explain why that is, but to use a videogame cover design as an excuse is a pretty cheap shot. In case you're wondering I'm British and I'm a graphic designer.
bunneyo

PostPosted: 6 Jan 10 10:35 pm Reply with quote

who gives a f**k, its whats on the disk inside the box I care about, I cant believe people on here are so bored that they have to even come up with something negative for a poxy cover!

buy the game, play the game, draw on the box if you have to!
Joshinator2008
Kudos: 15

PostPosted: 6 Jan 10 11:47 pm Reply with quote

I don't care what a cover looks like, its the game I want!

The thing I'm looking foward to the most in GT5 is that one of the tracks is the Top Gear Test Track Very Happy
chunkyboymania

PostPosted: 7 Jan 10 12:24 am Reply with quote

Jensonjet wrote:
chunkyboymania wrote:

It's clear that you have an immense dislike of Americans but using a videogame cover design to express that is unbelievable. Your hatred must be pretty deep. To suggest this design would suit the ignorant or that all American design lacks subtlety is a pretty pathetic sweeping statement. Not to mention utterly incorrect, immature and (rather ironically) ignorant.

Have you looked at any videogame covers, new or old? Many of them have very, how do you put it 'unsubtle' cover designs. I would ask you to explain what makes a game cover specifically designed for Americans than another nation but you would end up embarrassing yourself further and highlighting how little you understand on the subject.

Had you specifically targeted males of a particular age group your argument might have had a little validity. Instead you've shown a contempt for Americans, a lack of knowledge and have come across as a bit dumb really. If you must express your hatred for a nation, by all means explain why that is, but to use a videogame cover design as an excuse is a pretty cheap shot. In case you're wondering I'm British and I'm a graphic designer.

Okay before I reply I'll let you know that I've read some of your comments before and I think you are normally spot on.

I am also British and a graphic designer working in Broadcast so don't think my opinion is uneducated. I am fully aware that there is some awesome graphic design work coming out of America however apart from Cinema and high budget television this is rarely seen in the mainstream.

Basically it's common knowledge that America take less care in their graphic design work compared to the Uk. Want some examples?

TV

US Big Brother
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NzkTt4Nczdg

UK Big Brother
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43YiEtLqo9c

Box art/Print

US Resident Evil
Click Here

UK Resident Evil
Click Here

As you can see in all these examples the UK version is more elegant and SUBTLE in its use of colour, typeface and composition. I am sure there are examples to the contrary yet you would probably have to do some searching to find them. These are just examples off the top of my head.

So please don't make me out to be a racist you complete moron. Graphic design is always reflected by its culture. Hence Europe will always be more reserved than America.

So yes it is ignorant to generalise that all Americans are ignorant to the of the beauty of subtle graphic design. Yet graphic design has to generalise to comply with the majority of its target audience.

So as you can see I can justify my arguments so you can suck my balls. Smile [/b]

Last edited by chunkyboymania on 7 Jan 10 12:50 am; edited 2 times in total
Jellybeans
Kudos: 28

PostPosted: 7 Jan 10 12:25 am Reply with quote

Joshinator2008 wrote:

The thing I'm looking foward to the most in GT5 is that one of the tracks is the Top Gear Test Track Very Happy

is that true, i want that to be true
SavageEvil
Kudos: 17

PostPosted: 7 Jan 10 1:02 am Reply with quote

Well it's because America has a vastly different demographic than that of the UK. It's odd though the English have an uppity aura about them, like you are so much better than Americans, what is that about? You try to act reserved when you are just as out of control, I don't get it? The box art is fine, American advertising is relegated to being colorful and loud to get attention, competition out here is fierce. If it works then it works!

Just remember as loud and brash as your American cousins are, they are quite resourceful and funny. Just give them the respect they deserve they are after all related to you.
KesMonkey
Kudos: 23

PostPosted: 7 Jan 10 1:21 am Reply with quote

Jellybeans wrote:
Joshinator2008 wrote:

is that true, i want that to be true

It is indeed true. And, I can tell you, having driven around the track (Dunsfold Aerodrome) in GTR2 and rFactor, it's every bit as much fun as you hope it's going to be.
Jensonjet

PostPosted: 7 Jan 10 5:37 am Reply with quote

I'm sorry, you are wrong Chunkyboymania.

It is not common knowledge that America takes less care in their graphic design work. You can't generalise about a whole nation of designers in one sweeping statement like that! Maybe you're suggesting in your eyes all American graphic designers are rubbish? But I can't believe you think that either.

The designs you've given as examples are both capable of being created by designers from either nation. The style or quality wasn't down to the designer's nationality but their experience and skill plus many other circumstances including time constraints and budget. The way your original message was worded does come across as very anti-American.

I really can't see how anyone could describe all British videogame covers as reserved or elegant. Some may be, but not many. It's not really the style of game covers, and for good reason. The game type is more likely to influence the cover design.

A videogame cover's job is to grab attention and make it distinguishable, to stand out. The same techniques to do this are employed by both American and British designers. Equally a german designed car is attractive to people from all over the world. An italian shirt could be purchased by men from all nations. I think you overestimate the British gamer, or devalue the work of designers in America.

Criticise the design work on a specific game cover. Sure. Everyone's entitled to an opinion. But sweeping statements about an industry that America also happens to be a leader in is wrong. Britain's graphic design has been influenced by America you know.

Next time you think British graphic design is reserved or elegant go to the shops. You'll see a whole range of packaging, posters, point-of-sale graphic design that isn't very British in your eyes.

On a final note, I happen to think the cover looks very nice. Strong, bold and distinctive. Typography's a little weak, but I'm sure that's down to the client more than the designer. But what do I know, I can't tell the nationality a game covers designed for (except by the language displayed on it). Maybe the game will completely bomb because you're right and the cover is too 'foreign'. Personally I think the game will do just fine in the UK with that cover design.
LordVonPS3
Kudos: 29

PostPosted: 7 Jan 10 8:07 am Reply with quote

chunkyboymania wrote:
Basically it's common knowledge that America take less care in their graphic design work compared to the Uk. <snippy paste snip> As you can see in all these examples the UK version is more elegant and SUBTLE in its use of colour, typeface and composition.

So please don't make me out to be a racist you complete moron. Graphic design is always reflected by its culture. Hence Europe will always be more reserved than America.

Wait wait wait... You cite UK examples versus USA examples and then extrapolate that to fit GT5 EU box art and European culture? Are you trying to convince us that Italy, Greece, Portugal, Spain and France - as nations - are more reserved than America? How about all the other EU nations? What do you know about it anyway? Are you employed as a part-time minister of global culture?

Just the notion that you might make such an ill advised sweeping statement is hilarious. Laughing Please, the lot of you, just STFU about this.

On topic, I quite like the box. 'Nuff said. Laughing
Mark240473
Kudos: 37

PostPosted: 7 Jan 10 11:10 am Reply with quote

Jesus wept! It's just a cover art for a game!

I actually think it looks rather nice.
feeg86
Kudos: 21

PostPosted: 7 Jan 10 1:45 pm Reply with quote

I see they are still using the tag line "real driving simulator". Thats brave.
chunkyboymania

PostPosted: 7 Jan 10 2:11 pm Reply with quote

Sorry if I offended anyone it wasn't supposed to be a personal attack on Americans just a generalisation.

I don't want to get into an argument I was just pointing out that American design from my experience tends to lean towards the more bold and extravagant. Whether it be in its architecture, cars, advertising and so on.

It wasn't an attack on American's intelligence. What I meant by ignorance is that they are accustom to design being more in your face.

I expect my views have been skewed because I work in broadcast advertising where Europe is vastly more understated than America... but that's just advertising.

So apologies again that will teach me to generalise. Oh an LordVon I've read the tripe you come out with and you display a massive level of ignorance so I don't really care what you think.
LordVonPS3

PostPosted: 7 Jan 10 2:14 pm Reply with quote

chunkyboymania wrote:
Oh an LordVon I've read the tripe you come out with and you display a massive level of ignorance so I don't really care what you think.
Feel free to cite some examples of my ignorance. I await with baited breath!
chunkyboymania

PostPosted: 7 Jan 10 2:36 pm Reply with quote

You are a fanboy so by definition your are ignorant. You dismiss everyones opinion that disagrees with you regardless of evidence no matter how conclusive. I'm not going to trawl through loads of your posts because I'm at work but that's my opinion of you.
LordVonPS3

PostPosted: 7 Jan 10 2:48 pm Reply with quote

chunkyboymania wrote:
You are a fanboy so by definition your are ignorant. You dismiss everyones opinion that disagrees with you regardless of evidence no matter how conclusive. I'm not going to trawl through loads of your posts because I'm at work but that's my opinion of you.
The next best thing you can do after apologizing for generally lumping on Americans is to apologize to me for calling me ignorant.

Your sense of national pride may be strong, but clearly you have no clue about culture.
chunkyboymania

PostPosted: 7 Jan 10 3:25 pm Reply with quote

Okay if you want an apology that's no problem I'm sorry for calling you ignorant.

Having said that I actually meant my apology for my poorly worded comment earlier and can see how it came across as snobbish without being justified. However yours is just out of courtesy.
Jensonjet

PostPosted: 7 Jan 10 4:03 pm Reply with quote

It seems we all misread your message. And while we're at it, I could've been a little less insulting in my original post, but as I said, I geniunely thought you were using this story as an excuse to vent your issues. It's easy to assume as we've all heard or read both American and English have a go at each other for no geniune reason at all. We all have the exact same hobby so if we're going to pick on anyone it should be united together and against the idiots who spread lies and misinformation about gamers and what games are supposed to do to people.
badgerpog

PostPosted: 7 Jan 10 4:19 pm Reply with quote

The Mercedes Benz SLS AMG is still a very nice car.
chunkyboymania

PostPosted: 7 Jan 10 6:00 pm Reply with quote

Jensonjet wrote:
It seems we all misread your message. And while we're at it, I could've been a little less insulting in my original post, but as I said, I geniunely thought you were using this story as an excuse to vent your issues. It's easy to assume as we've all heard or read both American and English have a go at each other for no geniune reason at all. We all have the exact same hobby so if we're going to pick on anyone it should be united together and against the idiots who spread lies and misinformation about gamers and what games are supposed to do to people.

Agreed.

What form of graphic design do you do?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Article Comments All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: