Login to access exclusive gaming content, win competition prizes
and post on our forums. Don't have an account? Create one now!
Why should you join?
Click here for full benefits!
Follow our Twitter feedBlu-ray capacity increased. Could your PS3 game get even bigger? http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=230794
SIGN IN/JOIN UP
GamesForumsCheatsStore
Gran Turismo 5 indy cars confirmed | Trauma Team movie, details | Call Of Duty Vietnam info leaked? | Star Trek Online movie of exploration | Sony plans dedicated 3D TV network | Movie tie-ins are "generally a piece of crap" | Blu-ray capacity increased | Left 4 Dead NES remake released (it's free) | Metal Slug XX on PSP next month | StarCraft 2 gets Protoss 'mini-campaign' | Blur demo headed to Live | Mark Hamill 'never asked' to voice Star Wars game | Dark Void demo tomorrow | Runescape sequel still alive | STALKER: Call of Pripyat release date | Tatsunoko Vs Capcom video shows gameplay | Heavy Rain gets 15 despite 'violence, sex' | Banjo-Kazooie on Games on Demand | Nintendo DS is best selling console in Europe | Dragon Age expansion confirmed | 39% let kids play 18-rated games | OnLive is no threat to PS3, says Sony | Apple tablet computer in March? | Jade Raymond appears in girls mag | Mass Effect 2 'best game in history of BioWare'
All|PC|PlayStation|Xbox|Nintendo|Download PC Games
Search CVG
Computer And Video Games - The latest gaming news, reviews, previews & movies
Man buys MMO space station for $330,000
View previous topic - View next topic  
lwill
Kudos: 37

PostPosted: 3 Jan 10 11:38 pm Reply with quote

Perhaps he's looking at it as an incredibly long term investment?
Jensonjet
Kudos: 24

PostPosted: 3 Jan 10 11:57 pm Reply with quote

Is this for real? Is it not a joke? Do I understand this correctly... a gamer has thousands of dollars on a map, effectively, that other gamers can go to. And those gamers pay to play within that map?

If I understand that correctly, and I hope I'm wrong, what a bunch of idiots, seriously, what a bunch of dicks that play that game! There are hundreds of games I don't play, don't understand people liking, but accept we're all different.

While I like some shooter games, another person likes arcade or levels games, which I would never touch. But regardless I assumed we were all pretty much on a level footing... we all have our system, ranging from the consoles, up to expensive PCs... and we all pay about the same... PC games being the cheapest, console game tending to cost more. And of course, there are those who actually love paying every month for their World of Warcraft and such like. I accept that, not for me, but each to their own.

But this? Seriously? What a joke. Really that has to be the most pathetic side to gaming. I don't know who's more pathetic.. the idiot who spends that much on a videogame map... or the idiots who pay to play within one videogame map. I am absolutely stunned. Or, is someone actually taking advantage of another's mental illness? If so, is that legal?
Black Mantis
Kudos: 34

PostPosted: 4 Jan 10 1:09 am Reply with quote

lwill wrote:
Perhaps he's looking at it as an incredibly long term investment?

Apparently he'll make back that money and plenty more pretty easily, if the posters on Kotaku's forums are to be believed.

Love how Jensonjet got so wound up by this news! Laughing
The_KFD_Case
Kudos: 33

PostPosted: 4 Jan 10 2:35 am Reply with quote

My first reaction was: "Apparently someone has more money than sense," and then I contemplated the possibility of the buyer being able to run advertisements in the space station, or lease out sections of it in-game to other players for a monthly rent, etc. In short, while it initially seems to be an asinine venture doomed to fail horribly it might just turn out to be a fairly deft business move if it mirrors the sort of real estate and leasing business transactions we are accustomed to in our physical world. Still, even if I were rolling in that kind of cash I doubt I would spend it on an online MMO space station. Smile

P.S. @JensonJet: if someone knowingly takes advantage of another person's mental disability, I'm quite certain there are sound grounds for a lawsuit. While I do not know the exact penal code under British law, it would surprise me if one didn't exist that covers such a scenario. Considering that there are laws which prohibit a person from misleading another person about the items in a contract if the signatory does not understand the language in use in other Western nations, it seems almost certain that similar laws prohibit taking advantage of someone whom can be proven clinically insane or otherwise mentally unfit within UK law.
theimmortal
Kudos: 27

PostPosted: 4 Jan 10 1:05 pm Reply with quote

A person of unsound mind is legally allowed to enter into any contract for the very reason above that they could be taken advantage of.

If a person is found to be mentally deficient when they signed a contract then that contract is void. Same as people under the age of 18 cant enter into a contract either as they aren't legally liable.
Dajmin
Kudos: 38

PostPosted: 4 Jan 10 2:43 pm Reply with quote

Whether you can justify it morally or not, if he has the money then it's irrelevant. If I tried to do that you'd hear the bank laughing at me from the real space station. Must be nice to have 1/3 of a million to blow like that.

You also can't deny that it's a brilliant scheme the developers have come up with. They just made over 300 grand by doing sod all! I expect they'll get a share of all transactions across the entire game as well. I wish I'd thought of that. You don't need new content, you just need to sell the old stuff. Amazing.
skabone
Kudos: 11

PostPosted: 4 Jan 10 3:51 pm Reply with quote

I think you're all just jealous
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Article Comments All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: