Login to access exclusive gaming content, win competition prizes
and post on our forums. Don't have an account? Create one now!
Why should you join?
Click here for full benefits!
Follow our Twitter feedModern Warfare 2 DLC "exclusively first" on 360: http://tiny.cc/z8495
SIGN IN/JOIN UP
GamesForumsCheatsStore
FIFA 'beating the heck out of Pro Evo' | Fable III reveal next month | Greenpeace report slams Nintendo... again | Official: Heavy Rain out Feb 26 | Microsoft: 3D still has hurdles to clear | The greatest Nintendo gaming moment of all time is... | Ninety-Nine Nights II release date "spring" | EA plans 'attack' on Call Of Duty success | Bayonetta does Playboy | Microsoft treating Natal 'as a new console' | Call of Duty MMO is a go? | This week's Nintendo downloads | Nintendo's first Wii game for 2010 is... | Red Dead Redemption screenshots | God Of War 3 is a 'must have' - Sony | Heavy Rain release date outed for US | Left 4 Dead 2 gets free Xbox weekend | Modern Warfare 2 supremo making graphic novel | Halo Reach image leaks | Lost Planet 2 screens uncovered | Dead Or Alive 5 "in production" for PS3 | 10 new countries to get XBL Video Marketplace | Tatsunoko vs. Capcom: Ultimate All-Stars screens | Blomkamp on District 9 game (fooking prawns) | Modern Warfare 2 DLC "exclusively first" on 360
All|PC|PlayStation|Xbox|Nintendo|Download PC Games
Search CVG
Computer And Video Games - The latest gaming news, reviews, previews & movies
Call Of Duty Vietnam info leaked?
Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic - View next topic  
lwill
Kudos: 37

PostPosted: 6 Jan 10 12:55 am Reply with quote

I think this would be great as it'd be something completely new.

I'm a bit worried it'll be too much like the Japanese parts in WAW, which were not very good.

Starting the new decade just made me realise there's not a huge difference between WW2 and Vietnam. Obviously the M16 will have a noticeable difference though. I guess there could be helicopters too, which could make for some great on rails sections.
The_KFD_Case
Kudos: 34

PostPosted: 6 Jan 10 1:03 am Reply with quote

I got a chuckle out of the mention of "Saving Private Ryan" as video inspiration. I thought it was a magnificent WWII movie and I do realise that it may still be possible to learn things about combat and physics, etc. from that movie however, it has nothing to do with the Vietnam war in military terms.
Forge88
Kudos: 12

PostPosted: 6 Jan 10 2:34 am Reply with quote

Havent really looked forward to a COD since COD4.Wasent impressed witg WOW or MW2 (well i was at first with MW2) but straight away dont like the sound of this. For one Treyarch is doing it and two its in Vietnam which is just gunner be identicle to the Japenese missions in WOW.

Plus with Vietnam how much depth can you have.Wit World War 2 you had five years of worldwide battles to work with and with Modern Warefare..... well look at the state of the world today. With Vietnam you only have two sides in a pointless war. To me it sounds like to many booby traps and Last Stands to me really cant see what they can do with this but hay i hope i get my eye wiped and they make a decent game but with it bein Treyacrh... cant really see it.
The_KFD_Case

PostPosted: 6 Jan 10 3:41 am Reply with quote

Forge88 wrote:
Havent really looked forward to a COD since COD4.Wasent impressed witg WOW or MW2 (well i was at first with MW2) but straight away dont like the sound of this. For one Treyarch is doing it and two its in Vietnam which is just gunner be identicle to the Japenese missions in WOW.

Plus with Vietnam how much depth can you have.Wit World War 2 you had five years of worldwide battles to work with and with Modern Warefare..... well look at the state of the world today. With Vietnam you only have two sides in a pointless war. To me it sounds like to many booby traps and Last Stands to me really cant see what they can do with this but hay i hope i get my eye wiped and they make a decent game but with it bein Treyacrh... cant really see it.

While I'm not quite sure how thrilled (or not) to be about this latest news (and I feel the same way about WAW, MW2 and Treyarch as you do), I think you are barely scratching the surface of the Vietnam conflict.

The tensions, both diplomatically and strategically speaking, began almost immediately after the French colonial power pulled out after losing the first Indochina War in Vietnam (then known as "French Indochina" ). The US inserted advisors (read "CIA" ) in to South Vietnam starting with the Eisenhower administration, this intensified along with smaller numbers of military personnel being deployed as well under the Kennedy administration. It was under the Johnson administration in 1965 that the US military was unleashed in Vietnam. Under the Nixon administration a cease fire was established in 1973 although a steady bombing campaign continued - incidentally the US dropped more bombs over Vietnam, Laos and Cambodia combined than they did during all of WWII. The US completely stopped the official war against Vietnam under the Ford administration in 1975 after Nixon resigned in disgrace after being caught bugging his political adversaries campaign headquarters during an election year. Thus the Vietnam war came to a close in 1975 some 10 years after it militarily began in 1965 while having taken place in the three countries of Vietnam, Cambodia and Laos. That's a lot of military history in a lot of places. There were full frontal assaults, new technology developed not seen before (ex. early laser guided bombs), plenty of covert operations carried out by special forces, drug deals orchestrated by national intelligence organizations to help fund their operations away from prying eyes. Add to that the global scene which was deep in the Cold War at the time and I'm confident there is loads of material to work with!
bloodbathrich
Kudos: 26

PostPosted: 6 Jan 10 7:14 am Reply with quote

if the daily mail frowned upon mowing down tourists in an airport i wonder what they will say about droping a ton of Napalm onto whole villages....

come to think of it, ir is the daily mail so they will most likely give it 5 stars.
RustySpoon80
Kudos: 11

PostPosted: 6 Jan 10 9:16 am Reply with quote

I think that WAW has a better campaign than MW2. Lasted far longer with a better story. Also the multiplayer is less buggy. If implemented with all MW2 'advancements' I'm sure it'll be an excellent game. Will we see the return of the evil (un)dead?
snips10

PostPosted: 6 Jan 10 9:21 am Reply with quote

The_KFD_Case wrote:
Forge88 wrote:

While I'm not quite sure how thrilled (or not) to be about this latest news (and I feel the same way about WAW, MW2 and Treyarch as you do), I think you are barely scratching the surface of the Vietnam conflict.

The tensions, both diplomatically and strategically speaking, began almost immediately after the French colonial power pulled out after losing the first Indochina War in Vietnam (then known as "French Indochina" ). The US inserted advisors (read "CIA" ) in to South Vietnam starting with the Eisenhower administration, this intensified along with smaller numbers of military personnel being deployed as well under the Kennedy administration. It was under the Johnson administration in 1965 that the US military was unleashed in Vietnam. Under the Nixon administration a cease fire was established in 1973 although a steady bombing campaign continued - incidentally the US dropped more bombs over Vietnam, Laos and Cambodia combined than they did during all of WWII. The US completely stopped the official war against Vietnam under the Ford administration in 1975 after Nixon resigned in disgrace after being caught bugging his political adversaries campaign headquarters during an election year. Thus the Vietnam war came to a close in 1975 some 10 years after it militarily began in 1965 while having taken place in the three countries of Vietnam, Cambodia and Laos. That's a lot of military history in a lot of places. There were full frontal assaults, new technology developed not seen before (ex. early laser guided bombs), plenty of covert operations carried out by special forces, drug deals orchestrated by national intelligence organizations to help fund their operations away from prying eyes. Add to that the global scene which was deep in the Cold War at the time and I'm confident there is loads of material to work with!

Fantastic history lesson there. Can't wait to play the Nixon Invasion minigame!

Did anyone ever play Vietcong on the PC several years ago. That was actually not a bad game and if Treyarch can build on that using the COD engine, then I'm gonna hold out hope. Although I'll be first to admit a new COD game every year is wearing rather thin.

Of course everything hinders on them getting the soundtrack just right!
stonecold77

PostPosted: 6 Jan 10 10:01 am Reply with quote

I don't care what anyone says about WAW I enjoyed it far more than I did MW2, both online and especially the campaign. I hope Treyarch are going for Vietnam as it's a period of history I know very little about unlike WW2 which I have a great deal of interest in.
lwill

PostPosted: 6 Jan 10 10:08 am Reply with quote

RustySpoon80 wrote:
I think that WAW has a better campaign than MW2. Lasted far longer with a better story. Also the multiplayer is less buggy. If implemented with all MW2 'advancements' I'm sure it'll be an excellent game. Will we see the return of the evil (un)dead?

The campaign was maybe an hour longer at most. Maybe.

Also, don't you rememebr the WAW underscreen glitch? That was a pain in the bottom! Totally ruined some games. I'd love to see zombies cme back, although, I don't know, I see something a bit 'wrong' with Vietcong zombies, just seems a bit out of order, not sure why.
altitude2k
Kudos: 32

PostPosted: 6 Jan 10 10:14 am Reply with quote

The_KFD_Case wrote:
I got a chuckle out of the mention of "Saving Private Ryan" as video inspiration. I thought it was a magnificent WWII movie and I do realise that it may still be possible to learn things about combat and physics, etc. from that movie however, it has nothing to do with the Vietnam war in military terms.

Didn't MoHAA do this more than 12 years ago? Confused
TykerD3
Kudos: 22

PostPosted: 6 Jan 10 10:48 am Reply with quote

shoot the koogs
Rothepony
Kudos: 6

PostPosted: 6 Jan 10 11:28 am Reply with quote

I bet the soundtrack kicks ass! Very Happy
afterFran
Kudos: 11

PostPosted: 6 Jan 10 11:55 am Reply with quote

Typically, treyarch havnt created anything half as good as Infinaty, the same design will be used for everything, AGAIN, big bright yellow highlights for where explosives need to be placed, everything scripted to hell, unlimited enemy respawns.. I'm more looking forward to what EA do with the Modern 'Medal of Honour' and what DICE will add to the bound-to-be-fantastic Bad Company2.

Yes, BC2 will follow the same design as the original but it's feels so much more rewarding being able to destroy buildings and plot your own route through the open environment. Theirs just something that's too outdated with the 'Call of Duty' franchise, even with MW2 being set in a modern day battleground- it try's too hard to disguise the flaws that have plagued the series for quite some time!
ThebigJBIG
Kudos: 6

PostPosted: 6 Jan 10 12:06 pm Reply with quote

I wanna hear Jimi's Star Spangled Banner over the end credits Very Happy
mike1gh
Kudos: 33

PostPosted: 6 Jan 10 12:13 pm Reply with quote

i wonder how historically correct it will be? US army will win this time round im sure.
quintus

PostPosted: 6 Jan 10 1:46 pm Reply with quote

i'd like to play as the 'other side' in many of these games. I'd rather have an involving story of a vietnamese soldier then that of a generic american 'hero soldier'.

Also like the person who said that the americans will win this time. I bet you won't be that wrong, it'll probably be like 'We were soldiers' were victory comes from shooting everything up and getting airlifted away safely.

Also just the throw this out there, what do you people think about a game set in the 18th century playing as the British trying to hold on to the Americas, or even something like the american civil war?
AJB123644
Kudos: 28

PostPosted: 6 Jan 10 2:05 pm Reply with quote

Interesting stuff. I have hope for this game especially if Treyarch can detach itself from their previous games of which I thought WAW was still pretty interesting.

Would be a great new start for the mini franchise within the COD branding and I feel as KFD stated that there is a lot more to the Vietnam war than many people think. If they can nail the backstory and create a great atmosphere it would be great.
Together we are strong and United we will stand. As PC Gamers come together United we shall be Victorious!
battles_atlas
Kudos: 28

PostPosted: 6 Jan 10 2:37 pm Reply with quote

Quote:
And pacing of the game is rumoured to follow movies such as Saving Private Ryan, Platoon, Apocalypse Now and Full Metal Jacket.

What the hell does that mean?

The "pacing" of Apocalypse Now and Platoon are completely different from one another. The first half of FMJ is spent at boot camp where the only combat is lyrical, whilst Saving Private Ryan starts with the biggest fight scene in film history.

So in answer to my question: f*ck all.

Google what a word means before using it (or, more likely, cut and pasting it from the press release).
Gaseous Snake
Kudos: 4

PostPosted: 6 Jan 10 2:49 pm Reply with quote

I think a full game based on Nazi zombies would sell well, as it's the only reason many people bought COD5. They could have different levels from different times (e.g. WW2, Vietnam, Iraq etc) with a load of perk/weapon unlocks. Nazi zombies, in my opinion, is the best survival game out there by far. Plus, competing with Halo, MW and all of the other shooters out there would be madness, people would only buy it because it's called call of duty.
Treyarch, you could make the best survival game on the market without a problem, so why the hell not?
lwill

PostPosted: 6 Jan 10 2:53 pm Reply with quote

I'd like that too, but I just can't imagine that Activision would let something like that happen.

It's such a big shift to what everyone sees Call of Duty (speaking as a Franchise).

Like, if Mcdonalds suddenly started selling Indian and Chinese and turned itself into a restaraunt (not fast food) instead.
The_KFD_Case

PostPosted: 6 Jan 10 3:14 pm Reply with quote

altitude2k wrote:
The_KFD_Case wrote:

Didn't MoHAA do this more than 12 years ago? Confused

Yes, although MoHAA was released Feb. 5th, 2002 so 8 years as opposed to 12 years ago. Smile What a fantastic introductory mission/level it was too, IMO!
The_KFD_Case

PostPosted: 6 Jan 10 3:20 pm Reply with quote

mike1gh wrote:
i wonder how historically correct it will be? US army will win this time round im sure.

Depends on how you wish to view the historical facts. Did North Vietnam successfully manage to overpower South Vietnam and establish a communist regime? Yes. Was North Vietnam fighting primarily US forces at the end of that conflict? No; the vast majority of US forces had left by 1973, so some would argue that it is false to say the US military lost since it wasn't actually there in a large combat capacity when South Vietnam finally did succumb. South Vietnamese forces lost the war for a variety of reasons (lack of political support for the perceived puppet government of South Vietnam amongst the civilian population, a lack of supplies and arms from the US or so some claim, while China and the USSR helped keep the Vietcong well supplied, etc.) Finally, from a US military perspective the Vietnam conflict wasn't a "total war"; in such conflicts all military means are used and for geo-political reasons one would imagine, Uncle Sam didn't start tossing nuclear weapons around Hanoi at the time though it could have.

Furthermore, some people would likely argue that by committing to an extensive and costly war in Vietnam, the US successfully communicated to the two main communist powers of the USSR and China that the US would not allow a "Domino effect" to take place in Southeast Asia whereby communism would have spread unhindered. Indeed, some credit the US commitment to Vietnam as a catalyst for the ousting of communist sympathizers in the Philipines (nevermind that a totalitarian despot by the name of Marcos later came in to power *ahem*).

Last edited by The_KFD_Case on 6 Jan 10 3:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
The_KFD_Case

PostPosted: 6 Jan 10 3:23 pm Reply with quote

Gaseous Snake wrote:
I think a full game based on Nazi zombies would sell well, as it's the only reason many people bought COD5. They could have different levels from different times (e.g. WW2, Vietnam, Iraq etc) with a load of perk/weapon unlocks. Nazi zombies, in my opinion, is the best survival game out there by far. Plus, competing with Halo, MW and all of the other shooters out there would be madness, people would only buy it because it's called call of duty.
Treyarch, you could make the best survival game on the market without a problem, so why the hell not?

Sounds a little bit like the premise of "Jericho".
The Bossman
Kudos: 20

PostPosted: 6 Jan 10 3:26 pm Reply with quote

Vietnam would be an inspired location. All we've had so far are Conflict: Vietnam which, as a Conflict fan, apart from the dreadful PS3 Conflict, is the worst in the series, and the Shellshock games which were both terrible as well. I'd want some WW1 shooters as well, completely unexplored territory there.
The_KFD_Case

PostPosted: 6 Jan 10 3:30 pm Reply with quote

The Bossman wrote:
Vietnam would be an inspired location. All we've had so far are Conflict: Vietnam which, as a Conflict fan, apart from the dreadful PS3 Conflict, is the worst in the series, and the Shellshock games which were both terrible as well. I'd want some WW1 shooters as well, completely unexplored territory there.

Not "completely" but certainly sparsely covered! Off the top of my head:

"Necrovision" & "Iron Storm".
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Article Comments All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: