Login to access exclusive gaming content, win competition prizes
and post on our forums. Don't have an account? Create one now!
Why should you join?
Click here for full benefits!
GamesForumsCheatsStore
Battlefield 1943 only 600 MS Points! (NYE) | Amazon's 2009 bestsellers almost all Wii | Two Worlds II gets MoveShots(TM) | Rock Band bags McCartney, Blink-182 | Lost Planet 2 screens | China blames online games for drugs, murder and teen pregnancy | Gears of War added to Games On Demand | Borderlands Mad Moxxi's Underdome Riot out now | Dragon Age DLC coming Jan 5 | UK: Games outsell movies | C&C; eyes "new medium" | Mass Effect 2 save game details | EA targets male fitness on Wii | Sony goes multi-core for PS4? | Star Wars: The Old Republic video | Here's a new Xbox 360 kid | ModNation Racers update | 25% off Telltale games | FIFA 10 World Cup due April? | GTA 5 info at E3? | Reggie: It'll be tough to hit last year's figures | Ocarina of Time Reorchestrated released (free) | 3D Realms: Strong resurgence coming for Duke | Merry Christmas and Happy New Year | PSN gets first premium avatars
All|PC|PlayStation|Xbox|Nintendo|Download PC Games
Search CVG
Computer And Video Games - The latest gaming news, reviews, previews & movies
China blames online games for drugs, murder and teen pregnan
Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic - View next topic  
sweatyBallacks?
Kudos: 24

PostPosted: 29 Dec 09 10:45 pm Reply with quote

And don't try and smuggle drugs into the country, otherwise Mr Yang will introduce you to Mr Bullet...or a lethal dose of barbiturates
lordirongut
Kudos: 29

PostPosted: 29 Dec 09 10:50 pm Reply with quote

China is beginning to sound like the Daily Fail.
Forge88
Kudos: 10

PostPosted: 29 Dec 09 10:55 pm Reply with quote

Incredible coming from a country that adandons its children to the streets if a household has more than one.Go bck to eatin ye cats ye morons.
The_KFD_Case
Kudos: 33

PostPosted: 30 Dec 09 12:27 am Reply with quote

And China adds another tick to its long, and continuously growing, list of faux pas. Rolling Eyes
h3r3tic666
Kudos: 12

PostPosted: 30 Dec 09 12:48 am Reply with quote

you buy DVD ? Laughing
The_KFD_Case
Kudos: 33

PostPosted: 30 Dec 09 2:18 am Reply with quote

h3r3tic666 wrote:
you buy DVD ? Laughing

Laughing
Jensonjet

PostPosted: 30 Dec 09 6:39 am Reply with quote

They forgot to mention that videogames are also responsible for:
Cancer, global warming, AIDS, baldness, road accidents, unemployment, sexual diseases, blindness, fatal animal bites, the extinction of the dinosaurs, the recession... the list is endless. Those damn videogames probably even caused the creation of the universe itself.

I think there's only two solutions: get rid of all entertainment and wipe everyone's mind of such evil, or we all agree to kill ourselves. Perhaps we should all go to China, and their Government can do it for us! Problem is I'm now too frightened to go out so I may just starve to death... and that'll be the fault of videogames! When I die I'm suing the whole gaming industry.

And while we're on the subject of the evil of games... didn't Atari start World War 2? Or were they responsible for the fall of the Roman Empire??? I'm pretty sure Genghis Kahn used to arrange flowers 'til he put his hands on a joypad.
Domin666
Kudos: 21

PostPosted: 30 Dec 09 6:44 am Reply with quote

China a world leader in been dumb come on we had all this happening before the internet or do the chinese think that the internet has been here 4eva?
bunneyo
Kudos: 26

PostPosted: 30 Dec 09 9:32 am Reply with quote

who the hell gives 2 s**ts about china anyway you commie bas***ds
Sammy_bham

PostPosted: 30 Dec 09 9:46 am Reply with quote

First the ill advised, terrible execution of our british citizen.

Then this absolute poor excuse of blaming a media type for the action of a small handleful of people who most likely cant afford or dont play online games.

When you think at times there are up to 14 million people playing WOW, up to 8 million people playing mw2. and there are plenty of other online games including ultima online etc. How many of those people are going around killing people and getting pregnant? Not many i can tell you that now. Firstly, a lot of the online gamers (please forgive me, are single blokes) and if there are STILL that many people playing online games, when do they have time going around killing??? lol its just stupid.

Sometimes people just don't think about what they are saying. and when they cant explain something fully, they blamie something thats easy to attack with no backlash. Theres no backlash because the people they are attacking are too busy playing games lol!

madness. The world is turning upside down.
Dajmin
Kudos: 38

PostPosted: 30 Dec 09 10:30 am Reply with quote

I'm going to ignore the execution issue (because if you know the risks then you don't really deserve sympathy) and move straight to the gaming part.

Actually, I was going to ask where free will came into the idea, but then realised it was China we were talking about, where daring to have your own opinions tends to get you killed.

That article makes lots of bold and wild claims but doesn't back them up with any of the purported "evidence". The people are saying "this game made them do this in-game stuff" (which is what games do, the option is to switch off), but connecting that to crime is a leap even for the Chinese government. Unless they're concerned that their people see each other as monsters and must therefore hunt them down. Takes a special kind of mindset to do something like that.

And becoming addicted to cough medicine to keep energy levels up? What kind of crazy drugs do they have over there that instead of making you drowsy help keep you up all night? Total fabrication.

To be honest, I've argued this case too many times now to really care. Gaming is simply the new scapegoat like TV and rock music once were. Lots of people enjoy it so the odds are younger people who do bad sh*t have played a game at some point in their lives. Anything else is coincidence.
zelamy

PostPosted: 30 Dec 09 11:35 am Reply with quote

online games causing teenage pregnancy?
unlikely unless there's some sort of demon seed scenario going on.

but we all know they're just trying to take the blame off the government.
the citizens of china have few human or civil rights and almost every part of their lives are dictated by the government that allows no opposition.
with that kind of system crime is inevitable.
china is supposed to be a communist country, but i believe the founders of communism would be appalled by what china has become, it's now a fascist state.
Miss_Wacy
Kudos: 27

PostPosted: 30 Dec 09 12:34 pm Reply with quote

Dajmin wrote:
I'm going to ignore the execution issue (because if you know the risks then you don't really deserve sympathy) and move straight to the gaming part.

Actually, I was going to ask where free will came into the idea, but then realised it was China we were talking about, where daring to have your own opinions tends to get you killed.

That article makes lots of bold and wild claims but doesn't back them up with any of the purported "evidence". The people are saying "this game made them do this in-game stuff" (which is what games do, the option is to switch off), but connecting that to crime is a leap even for the Chinese government. Unless they're concerned that their people see each other as monsters and must therefore hunt them down. Takes a special kind of mindset to do something like that.

And becoming addicted to cough medicine to keep energy levels up? What kind of crazy drugs do they have over there that instead of making you drowsy help keep you up all night? Total fabrication.

To be honest, I've argued this case too many times now to really care. Gaming is simply the new scapegoat like TV and rock music once were. Lots of people enjoy it so the odds are younger people who do bad sh*t have played a game at some point in their lives. Anything else is coincidence.

exactly but people still want to deny that fact
Beetle Bum
Kudos: 13

PostPosted: 30 Dec 09 12:47 pm Reply with quote

after all reading all these comments there is still isnt a civilized constructive intelligent comment made.
Goes to show how what "western" gamers are really like.
jazzy_p

PostPosted: 30 Dec 09 1:18 pm Reply with quote

Fascinating. I can understand violence being blamed on games to a degree...but drug use and teenage pregnancy? Where on earth is there a correlation between those two and gaming? Would be nice if an article was sited or a paper...it would be interesting to see if there was a correlation, though i find it highly spurious.

Quote:

The whole problem is that it is claimed that he had no idea what he was doing and suffered from severe bi-polar disorder. He had no translator, had half an hour trial and was refused psychological evaluation..that breaks at least 3 sections of the human rights act 1998, which..'shockingly'..China is not a party too. Thus China have in their eyes done nothing wrong, as a sovereign nation they can decide their own laws, while in the west it is a SERIOUS breach of human rights. Trying to balance the two without exasperating the situation is a difficulty to say the least.

Oh and cough medicine, like some aspirin has caffeine in it.

Quote:

Personally I agree with this, but look at it from an outsiders perspective: Which came first the game or the violence? Did one lead to the other? Would columbine have happened if they hadn't been playing games with guns in them? I think thats where the problems come in. One has increased with the other, so naturally they create a link.

However it takes reasoned arguments to enlighten people to the falsity of the claim, something which the majority of gamers seem completely unable to do.

oh and Lordirongut, nice avatar...funny how Lt Quattro looks a lot like Char huh?
roland82
Kudos: 28

PostPosted: 30 Dec 09 1:24 pm Reply with quote

I may be missing something, but I dont get how staying inside playing games leads to teenage pregnancy.

Maybe Im doing it wrong.

Zelamy I guess any political system can turn into a police state if 'for the greater good' is used.
Dajmin
Kudos: 38

PostPosted: 30 Dec 09 1:41 pm Reply with quote

jazzy_p wrote:
The whole problem is that it is claimed that he had no idea what he was doing and suffered from severe bi-polar disorder. He had no translator, had half an hour trial and was refused psychological evaluation..that breaks at least 3 sections of the human rights act 1998, which..'shockingly'..China is not a party too.

Everyone knows China's rep for the treatment of foreigners at the best of times though, so it's not like he went in innocently and was punished. He was trafficking drugs. He took a risk and was caught. So sure, in another country he might have only ended up in jail, but he still knew what he was doing.

jazzy_p wrote:
Which came first the game or the violence? Did one lead to the other? Would columbine have happened if they hadn't been playing games with guns in them? I think thats where the problems come in. One has increased with the other, so naturally they create a link.

Well there's been gun crime since there's been gunpowder, video games have only been around in the mainstream for about 15-20 years. And due to the accessibility of media, we're hearing about more. But I don't think the rate will have increased that much.
It should of course work the other way. Releasing tension by shooting someone on-screen should stop these nutbars wanting to kill, but then again I guess you do need some sort of mental problem if you want to murder people at all - games or not.

jazzy_p wrote:
However it takes reasoned arguments to enlighten people to the falsity of the claim, something which the majority of gamers seem completely unable to do.

I think that's because the passion takes over. Thankfully I can just about stifle it, but sometimes you do just want to smack some heads! Either that or it's because people are getting dumber, and I hope that's not the case :p
fionn1
Kudos: 14

PostPosted: 30 Dec 09 2:10 pm Reply with quote

BBC News interviewed their Chinese editor I believe? on the matter of the execution, and he felt that potentially it is because China have a grudge against our treatment of them and our imperialistic rule...interesting thought.

Never has the term .."dont throw stones in glass houses" been more applicable, there abandonment of babies in streets is deplorable and against all notions of human rights.
jazzy_p

PostPosted: 30 Dec 09 2:44 pm Reply with quote

Quote:
Everyone knows China's rep for the treatment of foreigners at the best of times though, so it's not like he went in innocently and was punished. He was trafficking drugs. He took a risk and was caught. So sure, in another country he might have only ended up in jail, but he still knew what he was doing.

I understand your point, but you are assuming he knew anything about what he was doing or even understood it. The mental illness of the sort he is reported to have had, would make it very difficult to say whether or not he knew what he was doing. You'd be surprised how many people I've interviewed in the cells who don't entirely understand what they have done.

Criminal actions are formed of Actus Reus, the act itself, and Mens Rea, having the intention to do the criminal act. You need both to be able to convict in english law. While the act was present, it is increasingly obvious that the mental state was not. Add that to the breach of human rights and its full understandable why the UK is angry about this.

I'm not cognisant of Chinese law beyond the death penalty for drug trafficking, and i only discovered that due to the press. How on earth would a mentally unstable man who certainly would not have had legal training know any of this?

Quote:
Well there's been gun crime since there's been gunpowder, video games have only been around in the mainstream for about 15-20 years. And due to the accessibility of media, we're hearing about more. But I don't think the rate will have increased that much.
It should of course work the other way. Releasing tension by shooting someone on-screen should stop these nutbars wanting to kill, but then again I guess you do need some sort of mental problem if you want to murder people at all - games or not.

Indeed, but you have to see it from an outsiders perspective who doesn't play videogames, has a teenager addicted to MW2 and gets wound up by Sky News or the Daily Mail every day. Its an understandable reaction.
conceptwhite_fox
Kudos: 16

PostPosted: 30 Dec 09 3:18 pm Reply with quote

Quote:
I may be missing something, but I dont get how staying inside playing games leads to teenage pregnancy.

Maybe Im doing it wrong.

Zelamy I guess any political system can turn into a police state if 'for the greater good' is used.

Razz
spooney100
Kudos: 34

PostPosted: 30 Dec 09 4:01 pm Reply with quote

Beetle Bum wrote:
after all reading all these comments there is still isnt a civilized constructive intelligent comment made.

Are you for real? China doesn't deserve a civilized constructive intelligent comment, the Chinese government don't know what civilized means! You're talking about a nation that has the worst human rights record ever (apart from Nazi Germany but that goes without saying), add to that their shocking treatment of animals (ever been to a Chinese meat and food market?) and to top it all off their carbon emissions are going through the roof. You could argue thats because of the Wests needs for Chinese manufactured goods but thats a hollow argument. Every country in the West is doing their most to bring emissions down but China simply doesn't care. China is probably one of if not the most disgraceful countries in the world, how dare they dictate that games are to blame for the worlds problems.
h3r3tic666

PostPosted: 30 Dec 09 4:08 pm Reply with quote

Beetle Bum wrote:

How civilised and "intelligent" are you ? why didn't you come up with something concrete ? Instead of blaming "western" gamers .. are you one of them commie who can't bare the truth ?
r0zm4n

PostPosted: 30 Dec 09 4:26 pm Reply with quote

HUNGRY AND HORNY

WILL GRIND FOR POON TANG (TEENIES ONLY PLZ KTNXBI)

cheaper and shorter than dinner and a show I suppose, plus at least you'll be guaranteed of meeting someone with similar interests Twisted Evil
LPKODE2
Kudos: 4

PostPosted: 30 Dec 09 4:56 pm Reply with quote

All i'm going to say is f**k china & it's goverment Smile
duncanskuse
Kudos: 34

PostPosted: 30 Dec 09 7:04 pm Reply with quote

Next time the Daily Mail comes out with a slightly racist article I hope China comes up with a "All English people are twats!" headline. Or, next time CVG make a spelling mistake the French start talking about how all English people can't spell.

Mind you, we do have a lot of racists in this country. Not enough for a BNP reign to be plausible, but not far off.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Article Comments All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: