Login to access exclusive gaming content, win competition prizes
and post on our forums. Don't have an account? Create one now!
Why should you join?
Click here for full benefits!
GamesForumsCheatsStore
Battlefield 1943 only 600 MS Points! (NYE) | Amazon's 2009 bestsellers almost all Wii | Two Worlds II gets MoveShots(TM) | Rock Band bags McCartney, Blink-182 | Lost Planet 2 screens | China blames online games for drugs, murder and teen pregnancy | Gears of War added to Games On Demand | Borderlands Mad Moxxi's Underdome Riot out now | Dragon Age DLC coming Jan 5 | UK: Games outsell movies | C&C; eyes "new medium" | Mass Effect 2 save game details | EA targets male fitness on Wii | Sony goes multi-core for PS4? | Star Wars: The Old Republic video | Here's a new Xbox 360 kid | ModNation Racers update | 25% off Telltale games | FIFA 10 World Cup due April? | GTA 5 info at E3? | Reggie: It'll be tough to hit last year's figures | Ocarina of Time Reorchestrated released (free) | 3D Realms: Strong resurgence coming for Duke | Merry Christmas and Happy New Year | PSN gets first premium avatars
All|PC|PlayStation|Xbox|Nintendo|Download PC Games
Search CVG
Computer And Video Games - The latest gaming news, reviews, previews & movies
Sony goes multi-core for PS4?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic - View next topic  
StokedUp
Kudos: 28

PostPosted: 28 Dec 09 10:23 pm Reply with quote

I say just keep what you done with the ps3, just make the developers take lessons off real talented developers like guerilla, insomniac, square enix and naughty dog they dont moan n groan they get on with it and finish with outstanding results!
Tobal
Kudos: 23

PostPosted: 28 Dec 09 11:31 pm Reply with quote

agreed.
timewarp1

PostPosted: 28 Dec 09 11:48 pm Reply with quote

What StokedUp says Smile
Forge88
Kudos: 10

PostPosted: 29 Dec 09 12:22 am Reply with quote

Well said Stoked
KesMonkey

PostPosted: 29 Dec 09 12:47 am Reply with quote

StokedUp wrote:
I say just keep what you done with the ps3, just make the developers take lessons off real talented developers like guerilla, insomniac, square enix and naughty dog they dont moan n groan they get on with it and finish with outstanding results!

It's quite obvious that you're not a developer, and don't really know what you're talking about.
This would appear to be good news, if true. I'll bet there's not a single developer out there that won't welcome this news.
lonewolf2002
Kudos: 35

PostPosted: 29 Dec 09 1:31 am Reply with quote

Well good news for devs and Sony, now they might be in the future using a CPU architecture that is universally known it shouldnt take devs so long to get results from it. If I was a dev and 2 consoles were released 1 with a genius albeit a pig to work with architecture (going by what I have read in the past) and 1 with an architecture that I know inside and out, I know which I would work with.

Either way if true it can only mean good things for us gamers. Cool
WoW Realm=Stormrage Char=Loanwolf (human rogue)
bazzatuk
Kudos: 32

PostPosted: 29 Dec 09 1:52 am Reply with quote

StokedUp, your comment is completely idiotic.

The reason Sony is struggling to gain momentum this generation is because the PS3 is difficult to develop for. The Xbox 360 on the other hand is far more friendly, has lesser development times, was already in the lead when the PS3 launched and this is what matters.

The names you mention are big developers with cash to splash on training. The smaller developers do not have the cash to splash and one failed product can cause them to fail. Even if that product is of a high quality. So they either spend 5 months extra developing your PS3 product or instead ignore it and develop for the 360 in a shorter time period.

Simply put, time is money. Even Valve refuse to develop for the PS3 and that says something about it's issues for developers because those guys as we all know are incredibly talented.
moss66
Kudos: 19

PostPosted: 29 Dec 09 2:40 am Reply with quote

agreed with the chap above but only to a extent. That being im a stoner and if a choice between doing the easy way or the hard way ill take the easy way every time (If its something im not fussed about) but if its something that matters (like my vocation) id like to master it. In short devs who cannot be bothered to learn how to programme for ps3 shouldn't really be allowed to call themselves developers. More like MS whipping boys.

Xbox IS the SOLE reason this gens gone bluetits up. If MAG can pull off 256 player battles then there's no reason MW2 could have. Its just the kerplunk toy that devs know they can programme for thats holding everything back. So the next time some xboob fanboy says ps3 is shyte remind them its because of MS wallet and their feeble machine thats ruining gaming for consoles and pcs alike.

with a bit of luck only dorian and his 1 braincell will be all thats left of xblive in a few years
dorian2011

PostPosted: 29 Dec 09 4:15 am Reply with quote

haha shut the f**k up moss66, you say i have 1 brain cell? :L when you admit to being a stoner, oh another shining example of the kind of people on psn, omg i cant wait to buy one and play a commuinty of paedos, chavs and stoners haha, get a f**king job you tramp or go on jeremy kyle. and mag? thats a EPIC FAIL, 30 mins to play match? no thanks and having 256 players in a match is to ott, and you seem offly excited for that kid on the other topic i bet u like the lil kiddies breathing down the mic so f**k off and get a grip
ginsin
Kudos: 39

PostPosted: 29 Dec 09 4:37 am Reply with quote

StokedUp wrote:

Well, that's not exactly the best approach. It'll be for the best to make your machine as easy to program for as possible, so you can get games out quicker and cheaper.

The big developers would be able to get their big hitters out sooner aswell.

moss66 wrote:
Xbox IS the SOLE reason this gens gone bluetits up. If MAG can pull off 256 player battles then there's no reason MW2 could have. Its just the kerplunk toy that devs know they can programme for thats holding everything back. So the next time some xboob fanboy says ps3 is shyte remind them its because of MS wallet and their feeble machine thats ruining gaming for consoles and pcs alike.

Alot of people don't want 256 players online. Some people want what games like Modern Warfare 2 have to offer, because, you know, that's why it sells quite a few copies.

You start chucking some people in to 256 players online, they'll run a mile with the sheer scope of it all. Alot of gamers just want a quick arcade fix, pick up and play.
voodoo341

PostPosted: 29 Dec 09 7:43 am Reply with quote

bazzatuk wrote:
The Xbox 360 on the other hand is far more friendly, has lesser development times, was already in the lead when the PS3 launched and this is what matters.

Rolling Eyes

Of course it was in the lead, it was launched a year earlier!
bazzatuk
Kudos: 32

PostPosted: 29 Dec 09 9:06 am Reply with quote

voodoo341 wrote:
bazzatuk wrote:
The Xbox 360 on the other hand is far more friendly, has lesser development times, was already in the lead when the PS3 launched and this is what matters.

Rolling Eyes

Of course it was in the lead, it was launched a year earlier!

Exactly my point, it was in the lead. The fact that it was out a year before wasn't something I thought I had to make obvious. A lead is a lead. The PS2 out a good 18 months and was in the lead when the Gamecube and the Xbox launched, and a major factor in its popularity and market position during the last generation.

My point in my original post is that small developers cannot afford the extra development costs that harsh development for the PS3 has.

The games industry is much harsher than it was a decade a go. Products take years to produce, and one failure can kill that developer. Look at Free Radical as a prime example, they put all their development time into Haze, it failed both critically and commercially. Next up goes the developer.

The majority of developers cannot afford the risk, so they go with the safest bet. Currently the 360 offers a larger userbase than PS3, has more games sold per console than either the PS3 or the Wii and offers easier development. Whatever your favoured stance towards a particular console, you can't deny business is business and going with the safest bet is just good business.
WHERESMYMONKEY
Kudos: 33

PostPosted: 29 Dec 09 10:19 am Reply with quote

What you failed to point out is that not only are Naughty Dog, Insomniac and Guerilla big devs, They're also owned in whole or in part by sony and therefore only make games for the PS3. If they couldn't get the most out of the machine then they'd really be in trouble.
restlessmedia
Kudos: 20

PostPosted: 29 Dec 09 10:44 am Reply with quote

Can someone explain this difficulty concept? So, a new piece of hardware comes on the scene, you learn it, you know it, you build for it. How is this different to say building websites in php & asp? You learn c#, you build a site. You learn php, you build a site.

I understand there are massive variations in the languages and how they are used but surely the concept of learning something is the same?
Dajmin
Kudos: 38

PostPosted: 29 Dec 09 10:51 am Reply with quote

It's not just about how easy it is to program for, it's about the potential return on the investment of time. You want to release a quality PS3 game, you need to get your team learning how to optimise for the console. That takes time and money, both of which are in short supply in the marketplace.
You need to know that you're going to see the sales to cover it when you're done. Spending 6 months on research followed by 2 years of programming is non-profit time, if you then only sell a few thousand copies you're screwed.

Being on board with Sony in that respect makes their life much easier because they'll get advice directly AND they have financing to keep the project going they wouldn't have otherwise. It would've been a travesty if Uncharted 2 hasn't been released due to the developer going under.

But I never saw the point in using Cell as a gaming processor - it's a number cruncher, not a gaming platform. Maybe they went that way because they wanted loads of cores but the small chips weren't available at the time. Now that's all different.
JuiKuen

PostPosted: 29 Dec 09 11:03 am Reply with quote

I like the fact how dorian thinks he's made a good post. Typical moronic comment. Like Live doesn't have fu**ing chavs on it. And how do you know paedos aren't on there too?

Live was full of c*nts and the best move M$ ever did was introduce the party chat system. And having one brain cell is better than having none, right dorian you thick shit?
Dajmin

PostPosted: 29 Dec 09 11:25 am Reply with quote

To be honest I think this thread has proved exactly the kind of attitudes found on both networks. Where you get a lot of people you inevitably get a lot of morons. But that's what you have a rating system for - someone annoys you, you block them, ignore them, mute them, negative rep them and you likely won't see them again.

I use the "avoid" option on Live with extreme prejudice. Squeaky little 5 year-olds calling everyone fags? Gone. Constant racist homophobic slurs (and I don't mind a comment clearly made in jest but they can do OTT)? Gone and complaints filed. That's what it's there for.

And because they tend to gravitate together, blocking a handful cuts out a massive amount of other people they're in games with. The system works, you just have to use it. I hardly ever hear morons like that these days.
Forge88
Kudos: 10

PostPosted: 29 Dec 09 11:57 am Reply with quote

Stockeds comment is not idiotic,stupid or whatever u noobs wanna say.No offence to developers but if u cant developer for the PS3 yet then wats the point.Personally i dont wanna see another genration till when the PS4 supposedly is coming out which is 2016-18. This gens fine and will keep me happy for years to come....... ok maybethe Wii could do wit a upgrade lol
tmulford

PostPosted: 29 Dec 09 12:02 pm Reply with quote

I thought that SONY would continue with the Cell processor and increase the number of cores and maybe the the clock speed and then add more memory.

Polyphonic a year or so ago were showing a version of GT5 running on 4 PS3s that could either run at 2160p 60fps or 1080 at 240fps. Link

This to me seemed to be a taster of what to expect in the future. Developers have invested a lot in getting up to speed with the current PS3 architecture and the results when developers have invested that time are spectacular. Continuing with the Cell would mean that developers could continue to use their knowledge from the PS3.

StokedUp

PostPosted: 29 Dec 09 12:19 pm Reply with quote

^Thats why i said other developers should just get info off those developers that know how to use it. Look at the bioshock developer 2K, when they decided to make the game for ps3 they admitted they struggled and so got help off sony, in which sony taught them how to use it. Now they say they know how it works and i can make games for the sony no problem.

Last edited by StokedUp on 29 Dec 09 12:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
daviddanut

PostPosted: 29 Dec 09 12:23 pm Reply with quote

Sony probably want to move to a much cheaper console to produce. If I remember rightly they were making a loss even when the PS3 launched at about �450.

Add the fact that companies are networking piles of PS3s to act as DIY supercomputers (I think the US Navy got there hands on about 4000 of them) Sony's losing a ton of money as those users won't buy any games. Which is why I assume Sony removed the linux capability from the PS3 Slim.

And f(_)cknuggets wise in Live and PSN, this is one of the reasons that PC gamers got pissed off with no dedicated servers in MW2. With Dedi servers, you can kick and ban these idiots.
StonecoldMC

PostPosted: 29 Dec 09 12:34 pm Reply with quote

StokedUp wrote:

So, its ok for 1st party Devs or absolutely fecking massive Dev houses to 'learn' how to program for the PS3 but what about smaller independant Devs? They just have to wing it and hope there Game does/sells well?

There might be a reason that Sony want to go to a multi core processor, did you think about that?
svd_grasshopper
Kudos: 34

PostPosted: 29 Dec 09 12:43 pm Reply with quote

daviddanut wrote:
Add the fact that companies are networking piles of PS3s to act as DIY supercomputers (I think the US Navy got there hands on about 4000 of them) Sony's losing a ton of money as those users won't buy any games. Which is why I assume Sony removed the linux capability from the PS3 Slim.

retarded.

they are making money off that whether they buy games or not - they never bought them with the intent of gaming.

and most importantly, it doesnt affect the ordinary consumer buying games for the ps3.

the people using ps3's as servers are bonus sales, above and beyond. its not detracting from anything.
Dajmin

PostPosted: 29 Dec 09 12:45 pm Reply with quote

Cell was always going to be a risk, but that alone got them major publicity. Every time some scientist tied a couple together to cure cancer or some render farm used a few to generate stupidly large 3D images with realtime raytracing, I bet Sony sold another handful of consoles.

Of course it was offset by being a mare to program for. It's totally understandable that they don't want the same issues with the PS4 that they had with multiplatform games this time round - you all remember the lag and frame rate issues, right?

4 cores is now standard across PCs, so hopefully by the time the next gen comes round they'll be running 6 or 8 so they won't need the Cell. Everyone wins.

As long as they use up-to-date graphics cards, of course.
Black Mantis
Kudos: 34

PostPosted: 29 Dec 09 1:01 pm Reply with quote

Sony will of course be looking into more financially viable options considering the way this gen has gone so far. No-one expected MS and Nintendo to grab as much market share as they have done, so Sony have to head into the next generation thinking things won't necessarily go there way.

As for keeping future Playstation's difficult to develop for, the 360 has it's fair share of shoddy games and it's supposed to be easy to develop for. Two Worlds or Vampire Rain anyone?!

There will always be s**t games and rubbish ports, what Sony want to avoid is a repeat of this gen, with Activision and Valve chief's spouting off and giving the PS brand negative publicity.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Article Comments All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: