Login to access exclusive gaming content, win competition prizes
and post on our forums. Don't have an account? Create one now!
Why should you join?
Click here for full benefits!
Follow our Twitter feedUnboxing The Black Wii Video! http://bit.ly/nJ6HU
SIGN IN/JOIN UP
GamesForumsCheatsVideo
Another DSi exclusive revealed | 13 Star Trek Online shots | No dedicated Aliens vs Predator servers? | New PokéPark screenshots | 25% of UK gamers pay for DLC | Free Brutal Legend DLC detailed | Both Ratchet & Clank demos this week | 20 shiny Gran Turismo 5 screenshots | New GTA: Gay Tony screens, video | First Castlevania Rebirth video | LocoRoco Midnight Carnival this week | Sky dodges PS3 player question | And here's the Left 4 Dead 2 TV ad | Black Wii going for £164.99 online | First Assassin's Creed: Lineage short live | Sky on Xbox Live OUT with 24 channels | MS: Xbox Live still "generation ahead" of competition | Xbox 360 Avatar Awards out | Braid dev hiring for Natal | Modern Warfare 2 third-person mode confirmed | Nintendo releasing 'larger' Nintendo DSi | Insomniac: PS3 won't be maxed out for 2-3 years | New Excitebike for WiiWare | EU PS video store changes revealed | Dragon Age review: "RPG of the decade"
All|PC|PlayStation|Xbox|Nintendo|Download PC Games
Search CVG
Computer And Video Games - The latest gaming news, reviews, previews & movies
Sky Player Xbox 360 beta footage
View previous topic - View next topic  
monty_79
Kudos: 27

PostPosted: 26 Oct 09 10:59 am Reply with quote

Are any of these channels going to be free? I have a crap reception in my house, so being able to use my 360 as a freeview box would be welcome, but I am not going to be paying Ł40 a month for SKY. No way!
pp82
Kudos: 22

PostPosted: 26 Oct 09 11:01 am Reply with quote

Very suspicious that with one day to go before it is released they still haven't announced any price details.
altitude2k
Kudos: 31

PostPosted: 26 Oct 09 11:02 am Reply with quote

monty_79 wrote:
Are any of these channels going to be free? I have a crap reception in my house, so being able to use my 360 as a freeview box would be welcome, but I am not going to be paying Ł40 a month for SKY. No way!

That video did give the impression that the user was able to watch things like Sky Sports News and BBC without an active link to a Sky subscription.
StonecoldMC
Kudos: 38

PostPosted: 26 Oct 09 11:05 am Reply with quote

Should be a pretty cool App to have if your a Sky customer already (I think), will deffo be having a play around with it tomorrow.
steve_2003
Kudos: 35

PostPosted: 26 Oct 09 11:09 am Reply with quote

Impressed, it all seems to run smoothly, the amount of channels/content is pretty large and being a sky subscriber already it means I'll have an extra room linked up to Sky.

A friend of mine who lives in a tower block can't wait, as it means he can finally get Sky without having to worry about setting up a dish.

Nice. Very Happy
peterjharrison
Kudos: 1

PostPosted: 26 Oct 09 11:19 am Reply with quote

Come on guys, get real. Course its not going to be free, when have Microsoft or Sky ever given anything away for free?

The cost of it will be the same as getting a subscription with Sky, as it is the Sky Player part we will be getting, which is already available to Sky customers as part of their Sky package on the sky website.

If you want Sky Sports/Movies then you will have pay Sky what they charge their normal Sky customers for it on top of a basic Sky subscription.

Remember, unlike Facebook and Twitter, Sky are not open source, so a service from them will never be free.
Madge82
Kudos: 13

PostPosted: 26 Oct 09 11:22 am Reply with quote

Ive heard its free if you already hav multi room and/or broadband with sky, other wise 9.95 per mnth for standard customers or 40 per yr for non customers
skidpro
Kudos: 9

PostPosted: 26 Oct 09 11:23 am Reply with quote

Sky Player has BBC iPlayer built in anyways, so u can watch BBC but it switches to BBC iPlayer...I wonder how this going to work, I have Sky+HD, your limited to 1 PC sky player per household, I have also 2 360's with GOLD accounts....????
ricflair
Kudos: 33

PostPosted: 26 Oct 09 12:15 pm Reply with quote

I'll have a play around tomorrow. My friend has a full sky subscription, so I'll see if I can use his account.

Did anyone living in the real world expect this to be free? My live sub costs Ł2/pcm, they're never going to give you a free sky sub for that. Even if they don't have to bother with dishes and set top boxes etc.

I just hope they give you the chance to PPV on premier league matches at a reasonable price. But even this might go against their broadcasting contract with the EPL, so god knows. It is a bit strange they haven't released firm details yet.

What have people thought about the twitter/facebook/lastfm/zune update? Have no interest in Twitter, but Facebook was actually good for flicking through photos of my friend's wedding and lastfm is just good anyway. Definitely a bonus for me.
evileyecheese
Kudos: 7

PostPosted: 26 Oct 09 1:41 pm Reply with quote

this is a right load of old tosh, and proberbly why microsoft will be upping the live subs. Anyone remember when ms increased the price of the 360 a couple o months ago, oh yeah sorry that was a price cut! lol. oh and for anyone whos dead set against advertising on xbox live then this is a massive step in the wrong direction. no wonder the ps3 is gaining ground with microsofts blatant attack on its customers intelligence, if I had more cash id take my 360 and push it into a cows rectum, and buy a second hand ps3 and then when that broke down id buy another second hand ps3 and repeat process untill the end of time!
metallicorphan
Kudos: 26

PostPosted: 26 Oct 09 1:43 pm Reply with quote

video doesn't work for me Sad
steve_2003
Kudos: 35

PostPosted: 26 Oct 09 2:00 pm Reply with quote

evileyecheese wrote:
if I had more cash id take my 360 and push it into a cows rectum,

oh..., I remember the days when pushing games machines into cows rectums was free, many a day daisy & I used to sit up on that hill and have fun with that Super Nintendo.

Good ol' days. Smile
altitude2k
Kudos: 31

PostPosted: 26 Oct 09 2:02 pm Reply with quote

steve_2003 wrote:
evileyecheese wrote:
if I had more cash id take my 360 and push it into a cows rectum,

oh..., I remember the days when pushing games machines into cows rectums was free, many a day daisy & I used to sit up on that hill and have fun with that Super Nintendo.

Good ol' days. Smile

Now that's a disturbing image Confused
Pokeymike
Kudos: 20

PostPosted: 26 Oct 09 2:04 pm Reply with quote

Hey evileyecheese, where does it say the live sub is going up? Nowhere.
Where did anyone say that increasing the price of the Xbox was a price cut? Of course it's not.
How can adding functionality be a blatant attack on Microsoft's customers intelligence?
You're not disguising your hatred of the Xbox very well with your ill informed rants are you?
originalses
Kudos: 16

PostPosted: 26 Oct 09 3:33 pm Reply with quote

videos not working, sky should be good although im only looking to have sports and movies, if the pricings crap then i will keep on watching iraqgoals. i was accepted in to the beta for the facebook/twitter/last.fm/zune update, and i read them like this = Facebook 6/10 (Not as much functionallity as I would of expected, but with a few updates its a winner), twitter = no score (dont use it as updating facebook is enough, dont see the point in telling people everytime i go for Shi$ or everything else i do), last fm = 9/10(really like this feature and easily the best one out of the three, although maybe being able to keep music playing in the background whilst accessing other parts of the dashboard would put this upto a 10/10), zune = not tried this yet as payday is afew days off and need to add some ms points although i can see it being good as i have a banging net connection, so wont be let down by my isp (im with Be There if your wondering)
Herr_Lowe
Kudos: 41

PostPosted: 26 Oct 09 3:46 pm Reply with quote

Anyone who thinks the combination of Rupert Murdoch and Bill Gates are ever going to give you something for free must live in a very colourful world.
evileyecheese
Kudos: 7

PostPosted: 26 Oct 09 7:55 pm Reply with quote

hey pokeymike
live sub going up ill admit is at the moment hearsay and conjecture but I think youll agree is quite possible.
However the "price cut" was promoted as such, and was proberbly one of the stupidest marketing ploys ive ever seen. sony actually did drop its price but what MS did was to increase the price of its lowest price unit and decrease the price of the most expensive which was a very stupid thing to do. I love the games on the 360 but im slowly being turned away with the mass market vomit which is being poured into my beloved console.

xbox live + sky = advertising opportunity.

you should all try pushing things into cows rectums as its quite fun all the country kids are doing it these days, including crack which I hear is quite moreish

yum Very Happy

thanks for tuning in
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Article Comments All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: