Login to access exclusive gaming content, win competition prizes
and post on our forums. Don't have an account? Create one now!
Why should you join?
Click here for full benefits!
GamesForumsCheatsVideo
Borderlands' zombie DLC detailed (already) | New Gay Tony video | Miyamoto: Nintendo keen on HD | 250GB PS3 reach US in November | Lord of the Rings Online: Mirkwood movie | Modern Warfare 2 "caters to the hardcore gamer" | Left 4 Dead 2 demo details | Alpha Protocol delay is (finally) official | Shaun White Wii movie | Here's your PSN Update list | Another video of THAT Sega game | New Ratchet & Clank Home space today | Kojima: New Zone of the Enders "top of the list" | New Wii Pokémon game confirmed | Tekken 6 vid features hot ladies | CryEngine 3 is OUT (for developers) | Sign up for the 360 Facebook/Twitter beta | Leaked: Cross game chat in next PS3 Firmware | Golden Joystick votes hit 1 million | God of War III demo next month | GTA: Gay Tony multiplayer shots | Football Manager 2010 video, demo | Uncharted motion comic revealed | Dark Void: Latest, improved screens | Miyamoto likes to measure things
All|PC|PlayStation|Xbox|Nintendo|Download PC Games
Search CVG
Computer And Video Games - The latest gaming news, reviews, previews & movies
GT5 car damage shots
Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic - View next topic  
Jellybeans
Kudos: 27

PostPosted: 14 Oct 09 3:19 pm Reply with quote

just bits falling off as far as i can see, not damaged
HITMANBAZZA
Kudos: 16

PostPosted: 14 Oct 09 3:22 pm Reply with quote

Looks good, Looks Damn Good
Forza 3 pah!
ingy
Kudos: 31

PostPosted: 14 Oct 09 3:24 pm Reply with quote

Oooooh shiny,
so it should be after 500 years development time*pardon the exageration*

The problem for me is this still just looks like 'bumper cars' with no real drawback to bouncing off walls, apart from showing damage.

Looks pretty but is this really better than forza where it counts, ie gameplay, we shall have to wait and see 'sometime next year'ish' Wink
Black Mantis
Kudos: 33

PostPosted: 14 Oct 09 3:24 pm Reply with quote

What about normal everyday production cars though?
svd_grasshopper

PostPosted: 14 Oct 09 3:29 pm Reply with quote

looks good. but they have been "shotgunning" screenshots out steadily. nothing to do with forza - especially since thats on a different console, half a year away... it has no impact.

also truely hate doors flapping about as you drive. hated it in GTA IV. looks retarded, and never happens in real life.

shouldnt be as bad in cockpit view. IV's in-car view was mince - looked like you were driving a powerboat along the streets, best played in third person anyway.

digital foundry has seen GT's damage model since it was first shown. they say it has made "big, big improvements".
Mark240473
Kudos: 36

PostPosted: 14 Oct 09 3:44 pm Reply with quote

Black Mantis wrote:

Normal everyday production cars will have similar damage to Forza 3; bumps and scrapes, etc. Over 200 of the racing spec cars will have full damage, which includes bits falling off and cockpit damage.

Can't wait to see what they pull out of the bag next year.
I had to use a brush on the end of a very long stick because it was quite a high fox.
leefear1
Kudos: 32

PostPosted: 14 Oct 09 3:46 pm Reply with quote

Jellybeans wrote:
just bits falling off as far as i can see, not damaged

Exactly what I thought. I can't see any denting or scratches, smashed windows etc. Perhaps they will put that in at a later date.
flash501

PostPosted: 14 Oct 09 3:47 pm Reply with quote

Black Mantis wrote:

As far as I know there's only damage available for certain cars (all the racing cars, I'd imagine). It's a poor effort on their part if you ask me, with the length they've been working on it, they have no excuse for not having damage on every car.

Though I could be completely wrong.

EDIT: After reading Marks post, it looks like I was wrong. oops.

Nothing to see here people. Move along *whistles*
Black Mantis

PostPosted: 14 Oct 09 3:54 pm Reply with quote

Mark240473 wrote:
Black Mantis wrote:

Normal everyday production cars will have similar damage to Forza 3; bumps and scrapes, etc. Over 200 of the racing spec cars will have full damage, which includes bits falling off and cockpit damage.

Can't wait to see what they pull out of the bag next year.

Cheers, it's looking good regardless.
Black Mantis

PostPosted: 14 Oct 09 3:56 pm Reply with quote

flash501 wrote:
Black Mantis wrote:

As far as I know there's only damage available for certain cars (all the racing cars, I'd imagine). It's a poor effort on their part if you ask me, with the length they've been working on it, they have no excuse for not having damage on every car.

Laughing I guess it's down to car manufacturers as to whether we see full damage in either series however. Whilst us gamers would love to see it, I can understand the car industry having reservations about it.
Mark240473

PostPosted: 14 Oct 09 3:56 pm Reply with quote

flash501 wrote:
Black Mantis wrote:

It's an easy misconception because the details appeared to have been lost in translation.

It has now been confirmed that all cars will have damage, though only 200+ will have 'full' damage, whatever that entails.

Apparently PD have said that they want to go beyond what fans are expecting, which is why it was delayed.

Colour me excited.
I had to use a brush on the end of a very long stick because it was quite a high fox.
leefear1

PostPosted: 14 Oct 09 4:07 pm Reply with quote

Black Mantis wrote:
flash501 wrote:
Black Mantis wrote:

Laughing I guess it's down to car manufacturers as to whether we see full damage in either series however. Whilst us gamers would love to see it, I can understand the car industry having reservations about it.

I do not think this is an excuse anymore (no matter what Polyphony want to have us believe). Many games have had car damage on cars from all the manufacturers for quite a few years now.
yetiC

PostPosted: 14 Oct 09 4:11 pm Reply with quote

leefear1 wrote:

I do not think this is an excuse anymore (no matter what Polyphony want to have us believe). Many games have had very basic minor damage that proves that cars are safe and won't kill you from all the manufacturers for quite a few years now.

I fixed this for you...

Only games with fantasy cars have had full body deformation etc - and notice how those games don't have actual drivers that can also be deformed?

C.

Last edited by yetiC on 14 Oct 09 4:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
leefear1

PostPosted: 14 Oct 09 4:24 pm Reply with quote

yetiC wrote:
leefear1 wrote:

I do not think this is an excuse anymore (no matter what Polyphony want to have us believe). Many games have had very basic minor damage that proves that cars are safe and won't kill you from all the manufacturers for quite a few years now.

I fixed this for you...

Only games with fantasy cars have had full body deformation etc - and notice how those games don't have actual drivers that can also be deformed?

C.

Well Toca has had full damage along with colin mcrae and they were not really fantasty cars. Also Forza has damage on all cars. In fact TOCA 3 has a very very impressive damage model.

And what part of GT5s damage model makes it look as if cars are not safe? (stupid argument by the way) The cars do not even have dents on them!

Also the argument was regarding the statement that polyphony put out a while ago that manufacturers did not want damage on their cars. At no point did my argument include anything about the technical side of damage modeling.

Last edited by leefear1 on 14 Oct 09 4:27 pm; edited 2 times in total
flash501

PostPosted: 14 Oct 09 4:26 pm Reply with quote

leefear1 wrote:
Black Mantis wrote:
flash501 wrote:
Black Mantis wrote:

I do not think this is an excuse anymore (no matter what Polyphony want to have us believe). Many games have had car damage on cars from all the manufacturers for quite a few years now.

Yeah, it's a bit of a strange one, although I can't really see any other reason why they wouldn't include full damage on all the cars as it's been one of the biggest criticisms of previous GT's. If they had the manufacturers permission, surely a full damage model would be one of the first things they would've put in the game.

Mark240473 wrote:
Colour me excited

Seconded.

Last edited by flash501 on 14 Oct 09 4:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
leefear1

PostPosted: 14 Oct 09 4:30 pm Reply with quote

flash501 wrote:
leefear1 wrote:
Black Mantis wrote:
flash501 wrote:
Black Mantis wrote:

Yeah, it's a bit of a strange one, although I can't really see any other reason why they wouldn't include full damage on all the cars as it's been one of the biggest criticisms of previous GT's. If they had the manufacturers permission, surely a full damage model would be one of the first things they would've put in the game.

It may be more down to graphics. To put damage in the game requires more processing power and therefore may well have an impact on the graphics engine.

Personally in a driving simulator I would rather have more realistic physics than better graphics.
Mark240473

PostPosted: 14 Oct 09 4:32 pm Reply with quote

leefear1 wrote:
yetiC wrote:
leefear1 wrote:

I fixed this for you...

C.

Well Toca has had full damage along with colin mcrae and they were not really fantasty cars. Also Forza has damage on all cars. In fact TOCA 3 has a very very impressive damage model.

And what part of GT5s damage model makes it look as if cars are not safe? (stupid argument by the way) The cars do not even have dents on them!

Also the argument was regarding the statement that polyphony put out a while ago that manufacturers did not want damage on their cars. At no point did my argument include anything about the technical side of damage modeling.

Rally, F1 and TOCA games have damage because it is part and parcel of the racing.

On the other hand, it can't be easy having a damage model that suits over 1000 different vehicles.
yetiC

PostPosted: 14 Oct 09 4:35 pm Reply with quote

leefear1 wrote:

I'll admit - I've not played Toca 3 so am unable to comment on that one...

leefear1 wrote:

I fear you have inferred something from my post that I did not imply?!

C.
Dajmin
Kudos: 37

PostPosted: 14 Oct 09 4:36 pm Reply with quote

Viper Racing, circa 1998 had a full (if weird) damage model. Very similar to Live For Speed there though, where the panels were almost infinitely flexible.

Colin McRae Rally 2.0, circa 1999. Great damage models there, featuring plenty of breakable parts on a selection of real cars.

Plenty of games have had real cars with working damage models. Now supercar manufacturers might be a little different from standard road cars, but it only takes one to set a precedent.
I never got why they always claimed the lack of damage was due to the manufacturers not wanting it included. What did they lose if someone wanted to repeatedly plough their Lambo into a wall to see bits fly off?

I blame it more on modelling limitations in the GT engine, which may also explain why it's only being added to the race-spec vehicles (which could easily be regular road versions with extra bodykit glued over the top, which would fall off to reveal the regular car underneath).

That said, look at the car models in GT5. They are stunning. I wouldn't want people to come along and spoil that either Smile
leefear1

PostPosted: 14 Oct 09 4:39 pm Reply with quote

yetiC wrote:
leefear1 wrote:

I'll admit - I've not played Toca 3 so am unable to comment on that one...

leefear1 wrote:

I fear you have inferred something from my post that I did not imply?!

C.

May well have been inferred from the post of mine that you so helpfully changed for me

Quote:
leefear1

PostPosted: 14 Oct 09 4:50 pm Reply with quote

Mark240473 wrote:
leefear1 wrote:
yetiC wrote:
leefear1 wrote:

I fixed this for you...

C.

Rally, F1 and TOCA games have damage because it is part and parcel of the racing.

On the other hand, it can't be easy having a damage model that suits over 1000 different vehicles.

Damage is part and parcel of any motor racing, be it f1, WRC or chavs racing in the streets.
svd_grasshopper

PostPosted: 14 Oct 09 4:51 pm Reply with quote

forza's damage model was pretty lame eurogamer said in their 'hands-on'. least GT has half a year to best it, and they are definately working on it.
gogo65uk

PostPosted: 14 Oct 09 5:11 pm Reply with quote

I'm not really interested too much in the damage after all its a driving simulator not a destruction derby game (would love a new version of that too) anyone with a car or even an ounce of common sense knows one good smash and the car won't go. All I really want from gt5 which is something that always bothered me is skid marks on the track the graphics and handling are already really good. Oh and if they put a cheat "rewind" button in gt5 I wont be getting it.
flash501

PostPosted: 14 Oct 09 5:25 pm Reply with quote

gogo65uk wrote:
I'm not really interested too much in the damage after all its a driving simulator not a destruction derby game

I know what you're saying, but any game that calls itself a simulator really needs to have a reasonably realistic damage model.

gogo65uk wrote:
Oh and if they put a cheat "rewind" button in gt5 I wont be getting it.

I just don't understand comments like this. It's all I hear about Forza 3. No one is forcing you to use the rewind feature. It's there to make the game more accessible for beginners. How could a feature YOU DON'T HAVE TO USE! put you off buying a game?.
gogo65uk

PostPosted: 14 Oct 09 5:34 pm Reply with quote

Because such a feature shouldn't be in a "simulation" if your going to use it or not.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Article Comments All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: