Login to access exclusive gaming content, win competition prizes
and post on our forums. Don't have an account? Create one now!
Why should you join?
Click here for full benefits!
Follow our Twitter feedDreamcast games coming to PSN? http://bit.ly/7uFJh
SIGN IN/JOIN UP
GamesForumsCheatsVideo
Wii price cut official | Splinter Cell: Conviction out Feb. 2010 | Wolfenstein pulled from sale in Germany | More Batman DLC coming this week | EA responds to Left 4 Dead 2 AU banning | Halo Encyclopedia dated | Trials HD dev "proud" with 300,000 sales | Netflix CEO wants service on all consoles | Alpha Protocol defends "barely RPG" comment | Ubisoft unveils Settlers 7 | THQ stock surges amid takeover speculation | Xbox Live prepares for Facebook/Twitter today | Uncharted 2 "doesn't conclude story at all" | US Xbox 360 Elite buyers offered $50 rebate | MS/Bungie "totally bungled" ODST's marketing | New Left 4 Dead DLC date confirmed | PS3 gets Beatles: Rock Band mic pack | Get free ODST Premium theme now | Aion launch trailer | New 360 Games on Demand | Bethesda's second Wii game revealed | MS says Xbox Live is awesome | Uncharted 2 scores Oct 16 launch | World Of Warcraft back online in China | Sacred 2 'Ice and Blood' DLC video
All|PC|PlayStation|Xbox|Nintendo|Download PC Games
Search CVG
Computer And Video Games - The latest gaming news, reviews, previews & movies
Dirt 2: First ever gameplay footage
Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic - View next topic  
morpheus9394
Kudos: 22

PostPosted: 7 May 09 3:47 pm Reply with quote

<Picks up lower jaw off the floor and puts eyes back into their sockets>
WOW WOW WOW!!! Looks and sounds incredible. If they can get handling right and make it feel more like the older Colin Mcrae Rally games, I will be in driving heaven.
alano0031
Kudos: 19

PostPosted: 7 May 09 3:49 pm Reply with quote

What was the background music? Thanks
Mark240473
Kudos: 36

PostPosted: 7 May 09 4:09 pm Reply with quote

Looks absolutely awesome!

I read in the latest OPM that the devs have rewritten the handling to make the game more fun.

If DIRT 2 plays well with the wheel, then I will be over the moon.
Jensonjet
Kudos: 23

PostPosted: 7 May 09 4:18 pm Reply with quote

Looks amazing. But it's still going to aimed at the young american audience with very little true rallying and a ton of trucks, buggies and other pointless dirt track racing discipines, I assume!

While improved water and dust effects will shift a few more copies, the backwards step from the old games moving towards simulation to the near arcade style of the last was incredibly disappointing, as a previously committed long-term fan. Still, it doesn't stop the presenter from giving us the usual line that accompanies the release of every racing game; "improved handling". I don't understand why any developer bothers saying this any more... arcade racers sell well. If racing game sales are anything to go by, everyone wants and loves arcade, lightweight racing games. I assume there's only about a handful of us out there who actually want racing to emulate real life. This probably explains why online racing in the orignal Dirt completely ditched custom car setups. Surely it's only a matter of time before all the actual rallying is dropped in this series.
svd_grasshopper
Kudos: 33

PostPosted: 7 May 09 4:49 pm Reply with quote

video doesnt work. they made sure their advert did though. bullshit.

the buggies and trucks are a f**king disgrace. especially now hes dead. it should have been a direct homage to his rallying, and nothing but. with intensive features and scope for customization.

not some across-the-board trying to please everyboady pish. hence the name "dirt", which is a bit off now considering.
collyboy187
Kudos: 24

PostPosted: 7 May 09 5:22 pm Reply with quote

it was looking good till they showed the "trailblazer evo". a car like that means a drift mode.
DRIFTING IS NOT RALLYING!!!
happy to see a non ken block liveried impreza though, mabey there's hope for this one yet....
KK-Headcharge78
Kudos: 21

PostPosted: 7 May 09 6:01 pm Reply with quote

Whoa whoa kids hold onto your dummies! Since when was the game called Colin McRae Rallying?, it can have bloody go-karts in it for all I care as long as there is a large slice of rallying action (as the first 1 did) Certain other modes were pants but not all, at least you get the choice. The visuals look awesome too so hope it plays well.

Also just explain to me why having buggies in this game make it a disgrace specifically now Colin has passed away?
KK-Headcharge78

PostPosted: 7 May 09 6:01 pm Reply with quote

Whoa whoa kids hold onto your dummies! Since when was the game called Colin McRae Rallying?, it can have bloody go-karts in it for all I care as long as there is a large slice of rallying action (as the first 1 did) Certain other modes were pants but not all, at least you get the choice. The visuals look awesome too so hope it plays well.

Also just explain to me why having buggies in this game make it a disgrace specifically now Colin has passed away?
KK-Headcharge78

PostPosted: 7 May 09 6:02 pm Reply with quote

Whoa whoa kids hold onto your dummies!!!! Since when was the game called Colin McRae Rallying?, it can have bloody go-karts in it for all I care as long as there is a large slice of rallying action (as the first 1 did) Certain other modes were pants but not all by any stretch, at least you get the choice. The visuals look awesome too so hope it plays well.

Jensonjet
Kudos: 23

PostPosted: 7 May 09 7:01 pm Reply with quote

Headcharge, I'm not kid thank you very much and I think my message attempted to explain clearly where my problems stood with the game. I wasn't whining or crying just expressing my opinion and disappointment.

The whole point with this game is the developers have turned their back on the fans that made this game profitable over the years, over the previous five geniune rally versions. While I accept games can change, develop and morph into something unrecognisable it doesn't stop me being a little annoys that what was once the best rallying game in my eyes has become an arcade racer for a young american audience who don't even care or probably know anything about the sport. I accept there's a market, and no doubt bigger than the rallying one for ridiculous fat wheeled vehicles, buggies and whatever else this game has, but those race styles have always been catered for in other games. There are few rallying games around these days... in fact I think there's a total of NONE about right now.

So if you find it hard to understand why someone buying a Tiger Woods golf game gets upset when they suddenly find themselves on a tennis court, or purchase a copy of FIFA only to find themself playing netball with a bunch of girls, or start up Forza to find themself rowing down a river in a canoe, then perhaps you'll never understand. I guess anyone who's happy to drive a go-kart in a Colin McRae game probably wasn't actually worth replying to and has never felt passionate about a game or series.
KK-Headcharge78

PostPosted: 7 May 09 8:06 pm Reply with quote

Jenson appreciate your comments and I shall make it brief in response to save turning the thread into a very long boring story:
1) I never said anyone were whining or crying
2) Clearly the profitability of the franchise was not enough as simply a rallying game any longer, either that or a rallying only game was not the most sought after title in the genre, these companies spend a pretty penny on research after all.
3) Go-karting was a flippant remark and should be treated as so, if you can not decipher between flippant and serious remarks we have a long way to go here
4) As much as it pains me, as a rally fan, to attempt comparing it to golf is like comparing football to lacrosse
5) The basis of your assumptions, all they are I am afraid, is a short video, some scant detail and a general overview of a game that's not even finished so perhaps waiting to see what the game actually has in it would be a good course of action?

Cheers
KK-Headcharge78

PostPosted: 7 May 09 8:07 pm Reply with quote

Jenson appreciate your comments and I shall make it brief in response to save turning the thread into a very long boring story:
2) Clearly the profitability of the franchise was not enough as simply a rallying game any longer, either that or a rallying only game was not the most sought after title in the genre, these companies spend a pretty penny on research after all.
3) Go-karting was a flippant remark and should be treated as so, if you can not decipher between flippant and serious remarks we have a long way to go here
4) As much as it pains me, as a rally fan, to attempt comparing it to golf is like comparing football to lacrosse
5) The basis of your assumptions, all they are I am afraid, is a short video, some scant detail and a general overview of a game that's not even finished so perhaps waiting to see what the game actually has in it would be a good course of action?

Cheers
horngreen
Kudos: 31

PostPosted: 7 May 09 9:27 pm Reply with quote

Looks damn good just don't go ape s**t overboard on the lens flare/bloom effect. I like realism but if I wanted to drive into a blinding sun I'd do it for real.
Black Mantis

PostPosted: 7 May 09 10:43 pm Reply with quote

Looks great, hope they've improved the handling as someone mentioned.

For those who can't view the videos on this site, try downloading FFDShow codecs.
duncanskuse

PostPosted: 8 May 09 5:20 am Reply with quote

KK-Headcharge78 wrote:

"Whoa whoa kids hold onto your dummies!!!!"

You may have not said it, but you damn well suggested it.
AJB123644
Kudos: 28

PostPosted: 8 May 09 10:22 am Reply with quote

This does look pretty impressive. Never played the first one but with the new features such as water and more realistic cars I think this could be a seller for me. As someone else said the visuals also look fantastic.

Just to put across my view: I dont think the inclusion of other types of vehicles will actually ruin the game if anything it gives it more variety. Sure you could skip them too. Just remember that rallying isnt just cars it can also be about trucks etc too.
Together we are strong and United we will stand. As PC Gamers come together United we shall be Victorious!
svd_grasshopper

PostPosted: 8 May 09 10:31 am Reply with quote

he was not well known for buggy and truck racing.

they should be focusing on his greatest area of achievement now hes dead... instead of watering it down with this mickey mouse s**t in a bid to please everybody. it wont be a patch on motorstorm 2, the mudplugging side, and its largely irrelevant, so why bother?!

could have made it a rally game down to the last detail, instead of all this stuff strung together.

i found the trucks and buggies the most boring from the last game, to the point i never finished the game because of them. great variety. its insecure that they cant make a dedicated rally game, to one of rallys most dedicated stars.

buggies. f**k off.

hope they incorporate the back wheels this time, instead of driving only the set of front wheels and axle.

you could turn on yourself. world smallest turning circle. try employing some PHYSICS "codemasters".
ledickolas
Kudos: 29

PostPosted: 8 May 09 10:50 am Reply with quote

Whoa guys stop getting so over sensitive about this. If they're using Colin McRae's name then the McRae family are getting money for it. It's up to them if they use it for charities or whatever.

Colin McRae was a great sportsman, but the biggest tragedy in all this was that he took his young son with him.

If the family gave permission for Codemaster's to use the name then it's up to them.

I really liked the first DIRT, it was exhilirating to play. I've been waiting for the sequel ever since. If other disciplines disgust you then don't buy it.

And golf/tennis doth not equate to driving/driving. If you want to coin an analogy then do golf/crazy golf of golf/pitching and putting. If Tiger Woods effectively does pitching and putting if you so desire, and if he was ever to grace a crazy golf course as a minigame then it adds VALUE.
svd_grasshopper

PostPosted: 8 May 09 11:00 am Reply with quote

value, f**k off. it wrecks it.

free for all. a game that doesnt know what it is.

the other "disciplines" exist on late night channel 5, trailer trash tv, for trailer trash.

that analogy is retarded.

if you paid for a days racing at a ferrari event, then got MADE drive a smart car for a few laps, id call that a mundane chore, not value.

they are padding it out because they dont have the ideas to do a dedicated game. cheesy as f**k. the game slows to a snails pace when you are in the other vehicles. they are shite.

should be about white knuckle racing. the broth has been spoiled. call it value if you wish Rolling Eyes
ledickolas

PostPosted: 8 May 09 11:23 am Reply with quote

Don't buy it then you repugnant foetal mishap.

Stop getting your scrotum in a scrunch and go and go outside or something. Get rid of that pent up aggression, you loathsome little shite.
dangermou5e
Kudos: 32

PostPosted: 8 May 09 11:40 am Reply with quote

svd, Colin embraced all types of dirt racing it just so happens his career was in rallying he would have been more then happy for other disciplines of racing to be included in the game.
CURRENTLY PLAYING:Battlestations Pacific, Grid
---------------------------------------------
In the words of Valhalla "Its only a demo"
svd_grasshopper

PostPosted: 8 May 09 11:45 am Reply with quote

go f**k yourself bargain hunter.

you'll be playing my second hand copy of this after i discard it.

such VALUE. look at all the cars. even though half of them are shite. your like a jeremy kyle guest in pound stretchers.
svd_grasshopper

PostPosted: 8 May 09 11:50 am Reply with quote

dangermou5e wrote:
svd, Colin embraced all types of dirt racing it just so happens his career was in rallying he would have been more then happy for other disciplines of racing to be included in the game.

only reason we know of this is because of the first DIRT. it was a hobby more than anything.

the trucks and buggies are boring. thats why they aint popular, as a sport, or as television broadcasts. they are irrelevant.

why dont they chuck in helicopters, since hes a dab hand at them too. Rolling Eyes
ledickolas

PostPosted: 8 May 09 12:02 pm Reply with quote

No, your comments are irrelevant, you bile spitting little man. I'll be playing your second hand copy? So you'll be buying it then, you hypocritical little oaf? You just come on here and vomit shite for the sake of it.

And your last comment really showed what a f**king dick you are.

Can't argue with someone like you, because you are so gleefully ignorant.
svd_grasshopper

PostPosted: 8 May 09 12:05 pm Reply with quote

where did i say i wont be buying it?

f**king retard. think or at least read before you open your foul smelling gob.

wasnt me who killed my son and my sons friend showing off acting smart. then they have a cheek to release a game milking cash from him called DIRT. when he put 2 wee boys in it.

aye, im the dick.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Article Comments All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: