Login to access exclusive gaming content, win competition prizes
and post on our forums. Don't have an account? Create one now!
Why should you join?
Click here for full benefits!
Follow our Twitter feedGot a question for Tekken director Katsuhiro Harada? http://bit.ly/1gUuT9
SIGN IN/JOIN UP
GamesForumsCheatsVideo
Sega does 7 days of Golden Joysticks | Sony dev wanted God of War FPS | Ask Namco your Tekken questions | Left 4 Dead 2 pre-orders get demo early | Japan: DSi on top, PS3 sales slim | SBK dev does World Rally Championship | Spore CGI movie is go | Modern Warfare 2: IW "haven't begun thinking about" DLC | Naughty Dog keen for Uncharted PSP | Let's look at Lego Indy 2 | Xbox Live: FIFA 10, Left 4 Dead DLC | MMA fighter threatens to pummel programmer | Super Street Fighter IV gameplay video | F1 2009 gets November date | DJ Hero gets David Guetta DLC | Nintendo acknowledges Wii update problems | Witcher 2 dev bought out | Buy FIFA 10 for £24.97 at Tesco | Ratchet: Crack in Time getting two demos | Final Fantasy XIII screenshot explosion | New PSN Game Cards heading to retail | GTA IV: Gay Tony 'Armando, Henrique' trailer | Splinter Cell: Conviction gets Collector's Edition | Exec producer Gavin Raeburn leaves Codemasters | More Mass Effect for 360 Avatars
All|PC|PlayStation|Xbox|Nintendo|Download PC Games
Search CVG
Computer And Video Games - The latest gaming news, reviews, previews & movies
MS/Bungie "totally bungled" ODST's marketing
Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic - View next topic  
Mark240473
Kudos: 36

PostPosted: 23 Sep 09 9:46 am Reply with quote

I've not played it yet, but the short campaign has put me off buying it, I must admit, which probably has got something to do with the terrible marketing.

I don't know what they (Bungie) are worrying about because millions will buy it in their droves anyway - and I am sure that most of them will be happy with it.

It's probably just a few who sat on the fence, like me, who have opted out.

And most of the furore comes from the rabid anti-Halo mob anyway.....
I had to use a brush on the end of a very long stick because it was quite a high fox.
BeauBeau
Kudos: 24

PostPosted: 23 Sep 09 9:48 am Reply with quote

Amazon have got it on sale for £29, so at least they're clear in their pricing that what you're buying isn't necessarily a 'full-length' game (although anyone that remembers the sudden and profoundly infuriating end of Halo 2 can hardly say that Bungie haven't tried this sh*t before). That said, as a Halo fan I'm still buying it: even a few hours is totally worth the price in my book.

Besides, what the bloke from Bethesda thinks constitutes satisfactory game length is presumably somewhat longer than MS or Bungie might agree with, as both the fantastic Fallout 3 and the epic yawn-fest Oblivion can freely attest.
altitude2k
Kudos: 30

PostPosted: 23 Sep 09 9:56 am Reply with quote

While I do agree with some of his points, I don't think it was as big of a marketing blunder as he was making out.

And I'd like to see the overall sales figures for the first month of ODST and the 360 version of Fallout 3. I think that would paint a pretty good marketing picture...
Black Mantis
Kudos: 33

PostPosted: 23 Sep 09 10:12 am Reply with quote

It was always going to carry a stigma no matter how MS marketed it. Personally, I started on Legendary straight away and have clocked up just over 4 hours and I've only completed the first two missions.
Tonyb
Kudos: 35

PostPosted: 23 Sep 09 10:18 am Reply with quote

Worry about your own games Cheng and let Bungie/MS take care of their own franchise(s) you tosser!

Picking up ODST today and I'm SURE it will be brilliant...a game doesn't have to be 100 hours long in single player to justify the price tag, it's all about replay value and the on-line experience which can add months never mind hours of continued play time.
The_KFD_Case
Kudos: 32

PostPosted: 23 Sep 09 10:27 am Reply with quote

I like the tidbits of the background story that I've seen/heard, and I was comforted by CVG's review of ODST. However, I don't plan on buying it for the simple reason that once you've played FPS with a gaming keyboard and mouse, FPS games played on a gamepad (no matter how comfortable it sits in my hand for other games) is an exercise in frustration akin to what I can only imagine might be attempting to build a house of cards as a paraplegic in a wheelchair with multiple sclerosis. Thanks, but no thanks - there are plenty of other frustrations in day-to-day life. "Halo 3" and "Gears of War 2" may very well be the first and last FPS I bought/buy for my Xbox 360 (I consider "Dead Space" an exception because of it's third-person view and fantastic controller setup). Short of a remote "gun" (Natal maybe?) I just don't see FPS games for the Xbox 360 ever meeting the standard I've grown accustomed to on my gaming PC.
LivinJoke84
Kudos: 18

PostPosted: 23 Sep 09 10:35 am Reply with quote

Amen to the firefight matchmaking.

So in order to get a decent game out of it i have to have 3 other friends online, all who own a copy of ODST, all of who have to be playing the game as the same time as me and all of whom want to play Firefight at the same time as me.

Utter crap. GoW2 had matchmaking in horde, why the hell should the be any different.

I finished the campaign on the first day, i was hoping firefight would keep me interested until MW2 but because theres no matchmaking, im left with a £30 paperweight
I'm talking bang! I'm talking guns, I'm talking people like Uzi MC, the Blood Rap Movement, Herman the Tosser... how do you feel when young people are presented with the sort of stuff that they're churning out?
XBox Gamertag: LivinJoke84
altitude2k

PostPosted: 23 Sep 09 10:47 am Reply with quote

The_KFD_Case wrote:
I like the tidbits of the background story that I've seen/heard, and I was comforted by CVG's review of ODST. However, I don't plan on buying it for the simple reason that once you've played FPS with a gaming keyboard and mouse, FPS games played on a gamepad (no matter how comfortable it sits in my hand for other games) is an exercise in frustration akin to what I can only imagine might be attempting to build a house of cards as a paraplegic in a wheelchair with multiple sclerosis. Thanks, but no thanks - there are plenty of other frustrations in day-to-day life. "Halo 3" and "Gears of War 2" may very well be the first and last FPS I bought/buy for my Xbox 360 (I consider "Dead Space" an exception because of it's third-person view and fantastic controller setup). Short of a remote "gun" (Natal maybe?) I just don't see FPS games for the Xbox 360 ever meeting the standard I've grown accustomed to on my gaming PC.

I used to play nothing but PC games. I saw the mouse and keyboard combination as the epitome of FPS control.

But I then got an Xbox, and found it far easier to play games on. I played that more and more to the point now where I wouldn't want to play an FPS any other way. Even when I go back to the PC for the odd dabble in BF2142, I get on ok with the control, but I don't find it anywhere near as comfortable. Especially when you realise you're having to pick up the mouse, move it somewhere else and carry on the same move to do big sweeps.
cjw101
Kudos: 42

PostPosted: 23 Sep 09 11:06 am Reply with quote

altitude2k wrote:
Especially when you realise you're having to pick up the mouse, move it somewhere else and carry on the same move to do big sweeps.

Or you could just increase your mouse sensitivity...
shadowsblaze
Kudos: 31

PostPosted: 23 Sep 09 11:09 am Reply with quote

altitude2k wrote:
While I do agree with some of his points, I don't think it was as big of a marketing blunder as he was making out.

And I'd like to see the overall sales figures for the first month of ODST and the 360 version of Fallout 3. I think that would paint a pretty good marketing picture...

Unfair comparison. Halo has become a well known brand thanks to it's first 3 games. ODST will sell regardless of it's quality or reviews simply off the back of the first 3 games. Fallout was a game series relatively unknown by console owners so would therefore be much more difficult to market.

You'd be better off comparing ODST sales to that of other well known FPS's such as Killzone 2 or even perhaps Halo 3. If first month's sales are down compared to their previous game, it would prove that Microsoft screwed up their marketing.
altitude2k

PostPosted: 23 Sep 09 11:14 am Reply with quote

shadowsblaze wrote:
altitude2k wrote:

Unfair comparison. Halo has become a well known brand thanks to it's first 3 games. ODST will sell regardless of it's quality or reviews simply off the back of the first 3 games. Fallout was a game series relatively unknown by console owners so would therefore be much more difficult to market.

You'd be better off comparing ODST sales to that of other well known FPS's such as Killzone 2 or even perhaps Halo 3. If first month's sales are down compared to their previous game, it would prove that Microsoft screwed up their marketing.

You misunderstand. I said Fallout 3 because it was released by Bethesda. It was a flippant remark aimed at that bloke's arrogance.
altitude2k

PostPosted: 23 Sep 09 11:18 am Reply with quote

cjw101 wrote:
altitude2k wrote:
Especially when you realise you're having to pick up the mouse, move it somewhere else and carry on the same move to do big sweeps.

I'm well aware for mouse sensitivity, thanks Rolling Eyes

But changing that up the the absolute maximum won't resolve the issue. If you turn to the left 90 degrees, you always have to pick up and move your mouse back to the comfortable position in order for you to be able to do the same move again. It's the nature of the beast. It's a minor complaint for most people, but going back to it from a controller I'm very aware of it. It's just one of the things that you have to make sure you do otherwise you can end up with your mouse rammed up against your keyboard during a firefight.
sweatyBallacks?
Kudos: 24

PostPosted: 23 Sep 09 11:45 am Reply with quote

I hate this growing acceptance that '5-10 hours' for a single player game is acceptable.

No it is not.

10 hours is adequate, sure. Personally I like games to go on as long as possible. But then there is the younger generation that are used to measly 5-10 hour campaigns.
The_KFD_Case

PostPosted: 23 Sep 09 11:56 am Reply with quote

altitude2k wrote:
The_KFD_Case wrote:

I used to play nothing but PC games. I saw the mouse and keyboard combination as the epitome of FPS control.

But I then got an Xbox, and found it far easier to play games on. I played that more and more to the point now where I wouldn't want to play an FPS any other way. Even when I go back to the PC for the odd dabble in BF2142, I get on ok with the control, but I don't find it anywhere near as comfortable. Especially when you realise you're having to pick up the mouse, move it somewhere else and carry on the same move to do big sweeps.

As another poster already pointed out, that depends entirely on your dpi count. I use a Razer DeathAdder with 1800 dpi which is considered "low" these days in light of the 4,000 dpi gaming mice you can pick up now. As for "picking up the mouse" I have no such issue since I have a large gaming plate/mousepad specifically designed for gaming and my K&M setup buries my wireless Xbox 360 controllers any day of the week where it pertains to quick and precise responses. There's no contest, hands down.

I will likely always prefer a FPS on my PC or be greatly inclined to pass on a given FPS if no PC version is in the works. I like my Xbox 360 but it will never reach above the knees of my PC; it simply can't since it was never designed to do so.

P.S. There are a good reasons - once individual skill and experience have been accounted for - why PC gamers tend to cream console gamers in mixed FPS online games.
altitude2k

PostPosted: 23 Sep 09 11:59 am Reply with quote

The_KFD_Case wrote:
P.S. There are a good reasons - once individual skill and experience have been accounted for - why PC gamers tend to cream console gamers in mixed FPS online games.

I'm sure I've stated this before, but the Shadowrun devs proved otherwise...
The_KFD_Case

PostPosted: 23 Sep 09 12:00 pm Reply with quote

altitude2k wrote:
cjw101 wrote:
altitude2k wrote:

I'm well aware for mouse sensitivity, thanks Rolling Eyes

But changing that up the the absolute maximum won't resolve the issue. If you turn to the left 90 degrees, you always have to pick up and move your mouse back to the comfortable position in order for you to be able to do the same move again. It's the nature of the beast. It's a minor complaint for most people, but going back to it from a controller I'm very aware of it. It's just one of the things that you have to make sure you do otherwise you can end up with your mouse rammed up against your keyboard during a firefight.

Speaking for myself, with the sensitivity settings I have, the type of mouse and mouse pad surface I have, I can turn ca. 145 degrees with just the flick of my wrist in a single player and online FPS game. Nothing I've seen on my Xbox 360 yet compares to that.
The_KFD_Case

PostPosted: 23 Sep 09 12:02 pm Reply with quote

altitude2k wrote:
The_KFD_Case wrote:

I'm sure I've stated this before, but the Shadowrun devs proved otherwise...

If you will look more closely at what I posted you will see the word "trend", as in not 100% absolute, but with a general preponderance for favouring the PC crowd under the circumstances.

You are arguing against established and proven tech...
The_KFD_Case

PostPosted: 23 Sep 09 12:08 pm Reply with quote

sweatyBallacks? wrote:
I hate this growing acceptance that '5-10 hours' for a single player game is acceptable.

No it is not.

10 hours is adequate, sure. Personally I like games to go on as long as possible. But then there is the younger generation that are used to measly 5-10 hour campaigns.

Agreed.

Paying 35-45 quid for a 5 hour gaming experience is not my idea of good value for money. 10 hours is around the time I start to begin feeling satisfied where it pertains to FPS games. Sure, often I will play through the game slower than the reviewers because I like to take my time and re-try different approaches if I think I missed something first time around in the middle of the game.
360_Fan
Kudos: 25

PostPosted: 23 Sep 09 12:08 pm Reply with quote

Messed up the pricing would be more accurate.
garyddpaul
Kudos: 25

PostPosted: 23 Sep 09 12:25 pm Reply with quote

You can pick it up at morrisons or asda for 29 quid.

much better pricing imho..
altitude2k

PostPosted: 23 Sep 09 12:32 pm Reply with quote

The_KFD_Case wrote:

I spend 10 years of my life fixed to a PC for my gaming needs and yet I still believe the controller to be the better all-round performer for FPS games.

The analogue controller was designed for FPS's...the m&k combination was designed for spreadsheets...
dewd457
Kudos: 21

PostPosted: 23 Sep 09 1:27 pm Reply with quote

"Give me a break. First off, most games - especially first person shooters - are anywhere from 5-10 hours. Tops. What makes Halo different from others? You can't just ping Halo ODST for it."

Exactly and its completley unfair having to pay £40 for every single one. Just because thats true doesnt mean that ODST should of followed suit.Rolling Eyes If they couldnt of made the campagin at least 10 hours long then the price should of gone down. Or they could of just bundled odst in a single disc because i personally have no interest in paying for the same content twice. The multiplayer for me is stale so this is a no buy. Until the game is at least £25, or the Halo Reach beta is released im not touching it.
FlimFlam
Kudos: 14

PostPosted: 23 Sep 09 1:30 pm Reply with quote

Interesting why a member of Bethesda feels the need to comment on the marketing of a Halo game...

Personally I don't think they have messed it up at all. It was originally announced as an expansion called Recon, then over the course of a year or so added to it, and added to it, and added to it... Changed the name and stated it had become more than a mere expansion. Looking at the content included, include the Reach beta access, it's hard to disagree, even if the campaign is short (let's face it, what FPS have you played recently that took over 10 hours to complete?).

further to that, I got my copy for £26, and the average price point seems to be £30, less than a full price game.

Bearing in mind all of the above, it's hard to fathom the validity or point of such an observation, from someone who really doesn't need to be making such assertions in the first place.
English Shmuppet

PostPosted: 23 Sep 09 2:01 pm Reply with quote

May not be equal to the price of a game in the shops but you can certainly get a lot of newer titles for little over 30 quid if you look online.

This is by far the most expensive bonus pack I have ever seen for a game...any game.

However, I'm sure the mulitplayer will amount to mroe than 5-10 hours worth.
The_KFD_Case

PostPosted: 23 Sep 09 2:05 pm Reply with quote

altitude2k wrote:
The_KFD_Case wrote:

I spend 10 years of my life fixed to a PC for my gaming needs and yet I still believe the controller to be the better all-round performer for FPS games.

The analogue controller was designed for FPS's...the m&k combination was designed for spreadsheets...

You are certainly entitled to your personal preference, however the empirical evidence in the form of hardware present in the PC and console platforms is not subject to personal likes or dislikes when it comes to real-term performance. Advanced mouse and keyboard configurations put the console controllers to shame. Precision? Check. Speed? Check. Incidentally the PC mouse was designed as a means of accessing and operating various PC programs - not solely for spreadsheets. Wink

Whichever way you look at it - irrespective of how fond you are of a given console - all of the consoles, the Wii, the Xbox 360, the PS3, are each of them a proverbial tech dinosaur compared to the hardware being churned out for PCs. That doesn't mean the consoles can't provide fun and engaging gaming sessions - I am of the opinion that they can, and do - but for anyone to argue that the consoles can keep up with the best PC gear out there is just flat out false and preposterous. It's not a matter of personal sentiments; it's fact. Apropos, ATI's HD5800 series launched yesterday in the US and today in Europe. That baby smokes existing single GPUs and even some of the dual GPUs out there currently on occassion. It'll be interesting to see what Nvidia's GT300 series brings to the table hopefully before too long. Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Article Comments All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: