Login to access exclusive gaming content, win competition prizes
and post on our forums. Don't have an account? Create one now!
Why should you join?
Click here for full benefits!
Follow our Twitter feedGTA: Gay Tony - first movie: http://bit.ly/3Oo9J8
SIGN IN/JOIN UP
GamesForumsCheatsVideo
Gran Turismo PSP Entertainment Pack revealed | New Bomberman, Bonk for XBLA/PSN/WiiWare | First Champions Online update detailed | DiRT 2 gets London launch gig | More Ninety-Nine Nights 2 shots | UK Xbox 360 sales up 43 percent | Scene It heads to Wii, PS3 | Houser: More will play GTA: Gay Tony if it's on a disc | First DSi-only game revealed | Comedy Blur video released | Batman: Arkham Asylum 'PhysX' trailer | Japan gets Xbox 360 price cuts | Tom Clancy pair for 360 Games on Demand | LostWinds sequel is official | First Gran Turismo 5 shots released | Modern Warfare 2 - New multiplayer footage | Take-Two on the GTA V announcement | Disney "considering" Marvel games deals | New BlazBlue shots | Take-Two settles Hot Coffee case | Heavy Rain delayed because it "needs space" | Bayonetta demo incoming | GTA IV: Gay Tony - movie | Kotick: Games can "eclipse" film and TV | Dark Void: Fresh screenshots
All|PC|PlayStation|Xbox|Nintendo|Download PC Games
Search CVG
Computer And Video Games - The latest gaming news, reviews, previews & movies
PS3 firmware 3.0 video
View previous topic - View next topic  
robbiej55
Kudos: 11

PostPosted: 1 Sep 09 4:09 pm Reply with quote

I also prefer the spiderman font, but hey ho.

where's the TV icon? I thought the inclusion of iplayer meant that it was there whether you had play TV or not?

Anyone see the Metro paper today? Big front/back cover add from Sony pushing iplayer, blu-ray, Vidzone etc. for £249. And the cheeky xbox add about half way through.

I am surprised that the ps3 add didn't push the free online aspect though. Still the biggest selling point over the xbox for me.
waltyftm
Kudos: 22

PostPosted: 1 Sep 09 4:26 pm Reply with quote

D'oh , I thought i was the ONLY one to know about motion controlled SPARKLES Sad
Dajmin
Kudos: 37

PostPosted: 1 Sep 09 4:27 pm Reply with quote

I prefer the old logo too. I wonder if that new logo is to go with the new slim model, since the font is clearly narrower.

But holy crap, that dynamic desktop is incredible. Seems to take no time to load and looks great. Maybe not so useful in terms of actually seeing the menus, but impressive. I might sign up for a Jap PSN account just for that.

Can't wait to see what other ones become available.
Jeffers15

PostPosted: 1 Sep 09 5:42 pm Reply with quote

robbiej55 wrote:

where's the TV icon? I thought the inclusion of iplayer meant that it was there whether you had play TV or not?

Anyone see the Metro paper today? Big front/back cover add from Sony pushing iplayer, blu-ray, Vidzone etc. for £249. And the cheeky xbox add about half way through.

I am surprised that the ps3 add didn't push the free online aspect though. Still the biggest selling point over the xbox for me.

You're seriously saying that a service that cost's from 50p - £1 a week and is vastly superior to the PS3 equivalent (I own both consoles), is something you'd quote as it's biggest selling point???
Legrasse
Kudos: 20

PostPosted: 1 Sep 09 7:22 pm Reply with quote

I don't think the Xbox Live is vastly superior at all, you might but that's your opinion, wind yer neck in. One of Playstation's pluses over XBox is free online gaming, simple as.

Maybe you should list what it is about Xbox Live that's vastly superior?
Sleepaphobic
Kudos: 21

PostPosted: 1 Sep 09 9:42 pm Reply with quote

Legrasse wrote:
I don't think the Xbox Live is vastly superior at all, you might but that's your opinion, wind yer neck in. One of Playstation's pluses over XBox is free online gaming, simple as.

Maybe you should list what it is about Xbox Live that's vastly superior?
if you take a very lengthy and mind crushing 5 min to set it up properly then xbl is only bettr for its friends list. if thats important to you or you're one of those people who cant set it up (ie retarded) then xbl is worth it.
ei8hty5ive
Kudos: 15

PostPosted: 2 Sep 09 12:33 am Reply with quote

like the sparkles, on't like the new PS3 logo...As for 30 quid a year for Xbox live, i'd rather buy an extra game every year instead...
hrahukka

PostPosted: 2 Sep 09 5:30 am Reply with quote

Very nice and all.. Just wanted to let you guys know that I bought slim ysterday: it rebooted itself after first 3mins being active. Then i was able to play Batman for 3hours before I had to go and make dinner. After dinner I felt like playing a little more and what did I found? Turning on my brand new PS3 slim made it run for 2secs, flash yellow - flash red, bleep 3 times and power off blinking red light..
My loyality is shaking, I've had 1 broken 40GB with the disc reading problem, one faulty controller with broken R2 (the springs went of their places and R2 went all ultra sensitive..).
Hopefully I will get a replace straight away, I'm bit worried that they've sold all units and I will have to wait.
monkeydan19
Kudos: 3

PostPosted: 2 Sep 09 8:51 am Reply with quote

people who think xbox live isnt that much better obvouisly have not tried it !
I have 360 and ps3 trust me its a massive difference sony are about 5 years behind the only thing thats good about network is vidzone
But hey lets not kick off and just admit you got it for the blu ray like me and anything else is a bonus
robbiej55

PostPosted: 2 Sep 09 8:59 am Reply with quote

Jeffers15 wrote:
robbiej55 wrote:

You're seriously saying that a service that cost's from 50p - £1 a week and is vastly superior to the PS3 equivalent (I own both consoles), is something you'd quote as it's biggest selling point???

For me it was yes, I didn't like the idea of paying for online as it was a perpetual cost. Online was something I wanted but all I wanted it for was to play online with a few games, it's not a major thing for me. Therefore 2 years ago I decided to go for the free online that did the job rather than spend £200-300 over the lifetime of the console for the better online that I wouldn't make the most of anyway.

I also think for the average Joe on the street (like Metro readers) being shown that online is free would be a good selling point. They wont know, or care about, the ins-and outs of better friends lists etc. All they'll see is "Free online".
JazzJ
Kudos: 18

PostPosted: 2 Sep 09 2:20 pm Reply with quote

You're a little more than an average joe as you've found yourself on a gaming website and contributing to the forums!

I don't really believe that the optional £40 quid a year would really sway people from one console to another. It's the initial payment, and it's always been about the initial payment for the masses.

When you go into a shop and say "How much is this gonna t.v gonna cost me?" They don't often break down your electricity costs per year to run the thing, they tell you the price on the ticket.

Back to subject and I've not yet downloaded the update for the PS3, but that afrika thing does look really awesome. I don't know how often I'll stare at the home screen, and the sadistic part of me wants a lion to run in, but I'm sure it, or the UK available ones anyway, will be a good thing to entertain at some point.
Legrasse

PostPosted: 2 Sep 09 6:35 pm Reply with quote

monkeydan19 wrote:
people who think xbox live isnt that much better obvouisly have not tried it !
I have 360 and ps3 trust me its a massive difference sony are about 5 years behind the only thing thats good about network is vidzone
But hey lets not kick off and just admit you got it for the blu ray like me and anything else is a bonus

Click Here

To the left is my PS3 and to the right, on the floor, is my 360. I recently cancelled Xbox Live account because I can do everything I need to on my PS3, for free. You haven't stated why it's a massive difference, you also didn't say why PSN is five years behind.

I agree with JazzJ. Mostly the initial cost is all that people take into consideration. If people can get the games they want on a system that's significantly cheaper then that's just what they'll do - both systems have great games, both have pros and cons, most people just see the great games and then the prices. Sold.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Article Comments All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: