Login to access exclusive gaming content, win competition prizes
and post on our forums. Don't have an account? Create one now!
Why should you join?
Click here for full benefits!
Follow our Twitter feedPS3 Slim - 1st week of September. Confirmed!
SIGN IN/JOIN UP
GamesForumsCheatsVideo
Colin McRae: Dirt 2 website update | GC: New Heavy Rain characters revealed | GC: PSP gets Digital Comics | GC: PS3 motion control set for TGS | GC: GT free for PSP Go pioneers | GC: PSP gets 'Mini' games | GC: PS3 Video Store comes to UK | GC: PS3 Firmware 3.0 out Sept 1 | GC: LittleBigPlanet gets water levels | GC: PS3 Slim unveiled | GC: Dante's Inferno out Feb 2010 | GC: New Mass Effect details | GC: Battlefield: Bad Company 2 dated | GC: Brutal Legend demo next month | New 360 Games on Demand | Bethesda: "Enough" Fallout 3 DLC released | Lips follow-up dated for UK | Assassin's Creed II casts British Comedian | Nintendo downloads: PilotWings, Mario vs. DK | SingStar: Beatles headed to PS3? | EVE dev unveils console MMO | Video: New Modern Warfare... for DS | New Earthworm Jim for XBLA, Wii, PSN | Big LittleBigPlanet news today | KMart confirms, dates PS3 Slim?
All|PC|PlayStation|Xbox|Nintendo|Download PC Games
Search CVG
Computer And Video Games - The latest gaming news, reviews, previews & movies
Xbox 360 Arcade price rise imminent?
Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic - View next topic  
gillri
Kudos: 19

PostPosted: 17 Aug 09 3:05 pm Reply with quote

lol I paid £105 for a Jasper model back in January for Shopto.net
Squall5005
Kudos: 30

PostPosted: 17 Aug 09 3:11 pm Reply with quote

gillri wrote:
lol I paid £105 for a Jasper model back in January for Shopto.net

Bargain! It's a shame they still get the dreaded RROD though.
Increasing the price is a joke. I was recently treated to my 2nd RROD yesturday. Not happy
flash501
Kudos: 32

PostPosted: 17 Aug 09 3:11 pm Reply with quote

What's that I hear?......is it?........it is!!!!!! FANBOYS!!!!.
Squall5005

PostPosted: 17 Aug 09 3:21 pm Reply with quote

flash501 wrote:

Whether or not this thread gets hit with a torrent of fanboy attacks, you can't deny that it's shitty news. That extra 30quid could have gotten you an extra couple of cheap games or 12 month live subscription.
richm74
Kudos: 22

PostPosted: 17 Aug 09 3:24 pm Reply with quote

Well I was seriously think about getting an X-Box at crimbo, but if it goes up by £30 and we get nought extra for it, then they can go take a very long running jump.
bazzatuk

PostPosted: 17 Aug 09 3:25 pm Reply with quote

Someone is having a laugh with pricing for the UK.

They abuse us when they pound is good and they abuse us even more when the pound is bad. This decision does not make any sense at all. What will happen with the price of everything else?

Will the price of the 60gb go up and the Elite as well?

If it does that makes it it as expensive as the PS3 and the 360 isn't worth that with a lack of BluRay, wireless and reliability.
Squall5005

PostPosted: 17 Aug 09 3:29 pm Reply with quote

bazzatuk wrote:

If it does that makes it it as expensive as the PS3 and the 360 isn't worth that with a lack of BluRay, wireless and reliability.

The Elite is dropping by 60quid apparently. Not sure how much the imminent PS3 price drop is going to be.

I totally agree with your PS3 comment too. 2010 should be an interesting year.
flash501

PostPosted: 17 Aug 09 3:35 pm Reply with quote

Squall5005 wrote:
flash501 wrote:

Whether or not this thread gets hit with a torrent of fanboy attacks, you can't deny that it's shitty news. That extra 30quid could have gotten you an extra couple of cheap games or 12 month live subscription.

It is a bit shitty alright. It is pretty underhand by MS if they increase the price of the Arcade and then drop the price of the Elite, it will bring the prices closer together so people will be more likely to go for the more expensive Elite. It'll probably be a nice little earner for them.

Quote:
The platform holder has also confirmed a number of price rises to many of its accessories, including joypads and headsets, says MCV.

Aren't the accessories expensive enough as it is???.

Last edited by flash501 on 17 Aug 09 3:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
bazzatuk

PostPosted: 17 Aug 09 3:37 pm Reply with quote

Squall5005 wrote:
bazzatuk wrote:

The Elite is dropping by 60quid apparently. Not sure how much the imminent PS3 price drop is going to be.

I totally agree with your PS3 comment too. 2010 should be an interesting year.

I love my 360, but if the price of one model goes down and the other goes up it just doesn't make any sense.
wiikii007
Kudos: 31

PostPosted: 17 Aug 09 3:42 pm Reply with quote

Well...The rumors of the elite getting a price drop and core going up by the amounts stated...Can't be true. Because if the core goes up to £159.99 and the elite goes down 60quid...then, em, there gonna kinda cost the same amount...
altitude2k

PostPosted: 17 Aug 09 3:45 pm Reply with quote

Pound goes down, prices go up - which makes sense on the Arcade given that it's probably a rock-bottom price as it is. They can probably afford to bring the price of the Elite down to compensate a little.

We see exactly the same thing happening at the moment with TVs etc.

The worrying trend for these things, though, is that usually the Pound goes up and prices stay the same.
Squall5005

PostPosted: 17 Aug 09 3:46 pm Reply with quote

flash501 wrote:
Squall5005 wrote:
flash501 wrote:

It is pretty underhand by MS if they increase the price of the Arcade and then drop the price of the Elite, it will bring the prices closer together so people will be more likely to go for the more expensive Elite. It'll probably be a nice little earner for them. Also aren't the accessories expensive enough as it is???.

I also heard that they aren't gonna bundle in the 5 XBLA games that usually comes with the arcade system either Confused

http://www.gamezine.co.uk/news/formats/xbox360/rumour-xbox-360-arcade-suffer-price-increase-in-uk-$1319428.htm
Mark240473
Kudos: 36

PostPosted: 17 Aug 09 3:46 pm Reply with quote

A strange time to increase the price of the 360, especially when the PS3 is about to get a (rumoured) price-cut.

How odd.

Surely it has to be a bundle of some sort, maybe with MW2 included?

That would make sense and easily justify a £30 increase.

Confused
svd_grasshopper

PostPosted: 17 Aug 09 3:50 pm Reply with quote

this is epic retardism.

what better way to combat the buzz of new slim hardware and a price drop, with a price hike Confused

cant be right, surely?! just shooting themselves in the foot.
footieharry
Kudos: 23

PostPosted: 17 Aug 09 3:52 pm Reply with quote

they will probs take out the pro, add a hdd to the arcade and price drop on the elite.

Thats the sensible thing to do.
paul_brown940
Kudos: 33

PostPosted: 17 Aug 09 4:00 pm Reply with quote

The weird thing is that it won't generate any extra money for Microsoft just reduce the amount spent and enjoyment garnered for individuals buying a new 360.

If you had £200 to spend now on a pro console and game, after this increase you have to buy either the Arcade, seperate hard disk and game (I'm guessing approx £240) or the Elite and a game (after price cut probably £240/£250). You can't do either.

Its like the rumoured raising the price of games, at the moment you could buy a few games for around the £100 mark but after the increase you could probably buy 2 games and 1 publisher/developer loses the sale.

People normally have a set amount to spend (I know I do) and it's not suddenly going to increase, especially in these times.
ricflair

PostPosted: 17 Aug 09 4:01 pm Reply with quote

Mark240473 wrote:
A strange time to increase the price of the 360, especially when the PS3 is about to get a (rumoured) price-cut.

How odd.

Surely it has to be a bundle of some sort, maybe with MW2 included?

That would make sense and easily justify a £30 increase.

Confused

A bundle sounds more sensible. I can't believe they're just going to hike the price by about 25%. MS seem to have been quite happy to take a hit, not sure why that will change.

If this happens, will it just be europe? If so that seems even more stupid, because the PS3 is definitely stronger here than the US. And even more so with a price cut seemingly just around the corner. Couldn't say what I'd go for if the prices were the same.

Maybe, just maybe, they've completely redesigned the insides, putting a better DVD drive in and finally getting rid of the RROD??? Yeah, that's probably it!!! I'm joking, but I'd pay more a bit more if the RROD and disc issues were fixed. And a big noisy unreliable console doesn't fit in with the more casual market they are aiming for with natal, avatars etc.
ricflair

PostPosted: 17 Aug 09 4:05 pm Reply with quote

svd_grasshopper wrote:
this is epic retardism.

what better way to combat the buzz of new slim hardware and a price drop, with a price hike Confused

cant be right, surely?! just shooting themselves in the foot.

Shooting themselves in the face more like. If it happens I don't see it being a positive move for MS or the consumer. MS have good attach rates and get alot of money from gold subs, they won't get any of that if people buy a PS3 instead.

If this is true, there's got to be more to it than a simple price hike.
Zero_Cool
Kudos: 9

PostPosted: 17 Aug 09 4:06 pm Reply with quote

£159.99 for an Arcade bundle...f**k that! I could buy a Nvidia 275 GTX GPU for that price.
altitude2k

PostPosted: 17 Aug 09 4:16 pm Reply with quote

Zero_Cool wrote:
£159.99 for an Arcade bundle...f**k that! I could buy a Nvidia 275 GTX GPU for that price.

You certainly could. But where would you put the game discs? Oh that's right you'd need the rest of a computer.

Rolling Eyes
pp82
Kudos: 20

PostPosted: 17 Aug 09 4:19 pm Reply with quote

However, a closer inspection of the documentation sent to retailers seems to suggest that the Xbox 360 Arcade listing is a placeholder for an as-of-yet unspecified SKU. Whether that’s an enhanced Arcade SKU or a reduced RRP Elite – or even both – is yet to be seen.

That is the last part of story on MCV. You could at least post the rest of the story next time
tmulford
Kudos: 28

PostPosted: 17 Aug 09 4:20 pm Reply with quote

footieharry wrote:
they will probs take out the pro, add a hdd to the arcade and price drop on the elite.

Thats the sensible thing to do.

Given the move towards downloadable titles, increased amounts of DLC and optional game installs having a HDD in all new 360's would be a very sensible move.

I've always suspected that given the significant number of 360's without HDD that the PS3 is actually a larger DLC/Download market.
pishers
Kudos: 29

PostPosted: 17 Aug 09 4:26 pm Reply with quote

a lot of people seem to be getting concerned over speculation, this is no more confirmed than the sony price drop.
BenJy!
Kudos: 28

PostPosted: 17 Aug 09 4:28 pm Reply with quote

My 360 has recently just 'died' on me after having it since launch. I'm thinking of buying an arcade and just putting my 20 GB HDD on to it.
WHERESMYMONKEY
Kudos: 31

PostPosted: 17 Aug 09 4:43 pm Reply with quote

chances are if the 360 gets a price increase, and wii technically already has to suppliers. Then we are not getting a PS3 price drop this side of the pond.

Also the elite doesn't appear to be getting a price increase but a £60 drop (if it makes it to the UK) Therefore making it an even more attractive package in comparison to the Arcade model than the pro was which it appears to be succeeding as the main SKU. wonder if they'll change the colour back to white.

Also the slim eds of Sonys hardware are generally more expensive than the fat version. initially anyway, even though they generally pack even less features.

wonder what they'll ditch. The ability to upgrade the HDD, knock off a couple more usb ports perhaps, or the wifi, suppose they don't really need the card reader either Maybe all 4. decisions decisions.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Article Comments All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: