Login to access exclusive gaming content, win competition prizes
and post on our forums. Don't have an account? Create one now!
Why should you join?
Click here for full benefits!
Follow our Twitter feedBatman: Arkham Asylum is GOOD! http://bit.ly/PGAk8
SIGN IN/JOIN UP
GamesForumsCheatsVideo
New DSiWare initiative to rival PSP minis? | GC: Silent Hill: Shattered Memories shots | GC: FIFA 10 shots | GC: Katamari Forever screens | Midway becomes Tradewest Games | GC: Monkey Ball Step & Roll shots | Free GH: World Tour game with Guitar Hero 5 pre-orders | GC: Tony Hawk's: Ride - hands-on video | Achievements give away Mass Effect DLC? | GameStop expects further console price cuts | Siege of Spinner Cay trailer | GC: The Dante's Inferno trailer | Zelda: Spirit Tracks dated? | Two racers for 360 Games on Demand | English FFXIII demo would be "completely new" | Modern Warfare 2 cast revealed | This week's Nintendo updates | GC: Tekken 6 punches Gamescom in the face | GC: Mafia II shots, trailer | GC: Borderlands media out | GC: EA "certain" of classic IP revivals | James Cameron's Avatar movie trailer | GC: Beatles: Rock Band DLC revealed | Bethesda reveal "in the next month" | GC: Extensive DLC planned for LBP PSP
All|PC|PlayStation|Xbox|Nintendo|Download PC Games
Search CVG
Computer And Video Games - The latest gaming news, reviews, previews & movies
James Cameron's Avatar movie trailer
Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic - View next topic  
dewd457
Kudos: 20

PostPosted: 20 Aug 09 5:48 pm Reply with quote

So this film has become so hyped now that a gaming website feels the need to report on it. Rolling Eyes I understand that a game is coming based on the film but there was no actual "news" relating to it, only to the trailer.

Urgh I wish James Cameron would just go away, the trailer wasnt even that impressive imho.
ester25
Kudos: 28

PostPosted: 20 Aug 09 6:32 pm Reply with quote

Meh, this trailer is way better:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYBRFJ9RArc
nottsville
Kudos: 37

PostPosted: 20 Aug 09 6:53 pm Reply with quote

As a CGI spunkfest, it looks pretty cool.
timewarp1
Kudos: 22

PostPosted: 20 Aug 09 6:55 pm Reply with quote

Curses for being partially sighted !
Little Moth

PostPosted: 20 Aug 09 6:56 pm Reply with quote

Looks awesome. Very Happy
Paul_Boland2

PostPosted: 20 Aug 09 7:18 pm Reply with quote

Graphically it looks great but other then that, there is no appeal for me at all. It actually looks boring.
The_KFD_Case
Kudos: 31

PostPosted: 20 Aug 09 7:49 pm Reply with quote

Good God that looks incredible from a visual stand point. I look forward to the movie being released. I'm a bit concerned that humanity is doing some rather nasty things, perhaps in the shape of being "body snatchers", of the local inhabitants. Ah well, I'll keep hoping that humanity isn't a complete bastard "bad guy" group in "Avatar".
Jensonjet

PostPosted: 20 Aug 09 8:26 pm Reply with quote

This trailer actually shows just how good game design is these days, when such an expensive movie has such average design. The creatures themselves are utterly underwhelming. As they're so close to human in shape and structure, I don't understand why they didn't use actors and CGI any extra alien detail on top if needed. Making CGI human-like effects stands out as so fake, as we know how a human hand/eye/hair, etc work and react. The biggest issue is that in an imaginery alien world, with an enormous budget, and access to anyone and everyone in the creative world, and the aliens turn out like this!!!! Anorexic, broken nosed, elf earred, blue tall humans! Wow (and not in a good way). Seriously any old creature design from practically any old videogame made in the last five years probably has more creative and original ideas!

Ignoring that, the dragon-alike is absolutely typical CGI sci-fi. The director said after watching Lord of the Rings he was convinced the technology has reached a point where he could make this movie. He's right if you're not bothered about computer images looking like computer images. Actually a decent combination of old fashioned special effects, minatures, make up and bit of CGI would have been far more convincing.
brad.storch
Kudos: 18

PostPosted: 20 Aug 09 9:15 pm Reply with quote

needs more CGI
Budly Moore

PostPosted: 20 Aug 09 10:13 pm Reply with quote

Yeah, this film looks great, Star Wars for the 21st centuary. The game will be better FF7, Mass Effect, Deus EX, and the rest. James Cameron rocks, YEAH!!!!!!!!!

Think positive people.
blueblade
Kudos: 17

PostPosted: 21 Aug 09 1:35 am Reply with quote

I was actually looking forward to this film, but it looks like a load of cut scenes from "insert fantasy RPG name here". 'From the Director of Titanic', did he have to remind me of that? That film sucked donkeys ass, no matter how profitable it was or how many misty eyed nostalgia lists it tops. Seriously, if the 3d doesn't pay off he is going to look like a mug. You can expect 5 star reviews from Total Film/Empire magazine however it turns out, being the excitable children with pens that they are.
dannybuoy

PostPosted: 21 Aug 09 8:39 am Reply with quote

Classic CVG proof reading! "Trailer form the film"///
altitude2k
Kudos: 30

PostPosted: 21 Aug 09 9:36 am Reply with quote

Those are blatantly Pelicans and Hornets in that trailer...
Sonic Fanboy
Kudos: 19

PostPosted: 21 Aug 09 9:45 am Reply with quote

looks like a sci-fi scrap of cowboys vs indians, in HD
BenJy!

PostPosted: 21 Aug 09 9:59 am Reply with quote

Looks crap.
Skuz
Kudos: 2

PostPosted: 21 Aug 09 10:02 am Reply with quote

As this doesn't much of the plot away, besides the aeriel dog-fight I'll hold off on judging it too harshly, but it doesn't look to be doing anything new, if the 3d system they use isn't totally revolutionary then the only gimmick this has going for it will be a waste of time.

Watch "District 9" if you want to see sci-fi done with some sense of originality.
Black Mantis
Kudos: 32

PostPosted: 21 Aug 09 10:29 am Reply with quote

The_KFD_Case wrote:
Good God that looks incredible from a visual stand point. I look forward to the movie being released. I'm a bit concerned that humanity is doing some rather nasty things, perhaps in the shape of being "body snatchers", of the local inhabitants. Ah well, I'll keep hoping that humanity isn't a complete bastard "bad guy" group in "Avatar".

My thoughts exactly. I believe this is relevant news for CVG though, one day we'll be playing games that look like this! Very Happy
FiltyMonkey
Kudos: 23

PostPosted: 21 Aug 09 10:31 am Reply with quote

Skuz wrote:

Watch "District 9" if you want to see sci-fi done with some sense of originality.

Not that original though is it - Re: Alien Nation
Black Mantis
Kudos: 32

PostPosted: 21 Aug 09 10:35 am Reply with quote

FiltyMonkey wrote:
Skuz wrote:

Not that original though is it - Re: Alien Nation

Agreed, not to take anything away from District 9 though! Looks great Very Happy
Random Hangman
Kudos: 27

PostPosted: 21 Aug 09 12:50 pm Reply with quote

I think that Cameron's problem with this is going to be that he's spent too long on it. When he started he was using cutting edge technology. Let's face it, if this had been released 5 years ago (before we were all spoilt by "next gen" graphics), we'd have all been much more impressed. Now we look at it and think, "It's good, but not spectacular".

As someone else stated, this all rests on whether the 3D is any good! Confused
r0zm4n
Kudos: 24

PostPosted: 21 Aug 09 12:57 pm Reply with quote

Skuz wrote:
As this doesn't much of the plot away, besides the aeriel dog-fight ...

I just watched the trailer at work so no sound.

The plot was thus, Marine's personality was inserted into a clone of some alien race who's planet we want. He is then dropped onto said planet to scout out the locals. Our boy falls in luv with another blue skinned chick and when the invasion starts, decides to join in on their side.

That about cover it? Sad
AJDarkstar
Kudos: 25

PostPosted: 21 Aug 09 1:06 pm Reply with quote

Am I wrong for not getting excited about this film? Let us not forget that the last film this man made was Titanic. Commercially it did very well, yes, but I didn't enjoy it at all, to be honest.

Terminator 2 was his last truly brilliant film, and that was a very long time ago.
MrPirtniw
Kudos: 33

PostPosted: 21 Aug 09 1:08 pm Reply with quote

altitude2k wrote:
Those are blatantly Pelicans and Hornets in that trailer...

They are as well!
funkyjack

PostPosted: 21 Aug 09 1:32 pm Reply with quote

Looks pretty decent.
TheMullet3
Kudos: 23

PostPosted: 21 Aug 09 1:45 pm Reply with quote

I suppose it'll look incredible in 3D, the way its meant to be seen. In 2D the cgi looks a bit of a letdown. Star trek has now set the benchmark for special effects.
I can't believe I fell for the hype about the special effects for avatar.
Hopefully the movie itself will be fun.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Article Comments All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: