Login to access exclusive gaming content, win competition prizes
and post on our forums. Don't have an account? Create one now!
Why should you join?
Click here for full benefits!
Follow our Twitter feedPlay Shadow Complex early! http://bit.ly/CENKe
SIGN IN/JOIN UP
GamesForumsCheatsVideo
Australian game rating system a "joke" | Fight Night 4 DLC revealed | THQ picks up Blood Bowl | Nintendo gives away Metroid for free | Enhanced PSN trophies online | This week's Nintendo update | PSN update comes out fighting (and loses) | Ex-GRIN staff form PSN/XBLA studio | First Red Faction: Guerrilla DLC today | New Spyborgs video | EA interested in smaller acquisitions | New Silent Hill: Shattered Memories screens | Section 8 shooter hits beta | MX vs ATV Reflex stunt movie | Behind the screens PES 10 video | 30 Dragon Age shots | Aragorn's Quest delayed | Branded Modern Warfare pads incoming | Football Manager 2010 dated | Wii Remote chargers being recalled | Sony responds to region-specific PSN "frustration" | Seven new C&C4; shots | Sony to unveil PS3 video store at Gamescom | Risen refused classification In Australia | Get Guitar Hero: Van Halen free
All|PC|PlayStation|Xbox|Nintendo|Download PC Games
Search CVG
Computer And Video Games - The latest gaming news, reviews, previews & movies
Will ODST shut down Halo 2 online?
View previous topic - View next topic  
English Shmuppet
Kudos: 31

PostPosted: 11 Aug 09 3:01 pm Reply with quote

Cancel ODST I say... Wink
rabbit0147
Kudos: 36

PostPosted: 11 Aug 09 3:06 pm Reply with quote

I want to know if they will bring out the ODST disc on its own without the halo multiplayer disc. I mean i don't have xbox live and don't intend to get it, so why should i have to pay for a disc i'm not going to use.
BeauBeau
Kudos: 24

PostPosted: 11 Aug 09 3:25 pm Reply with quote

This raises a question I've never considered before: for how long can the owner of a game reasonably expect any online part of it to continue being hosted? Does the industry itself have any rules about when (or indeed, if) they can shut down a game's online action?

Suppose (hypothetically) that I, a humble consumer, went to Game/Gamestation today and purchased a copy of Halo 2. Then tomorrow Bungie decided to jack the plug on its online elements. Do I have any consumer rights?

Just a thought: it's a slow day in the office...
WHERESMYMONKEY
Kudos: 31

PostPosted: 11 Aug 09 3:38 pm Reply with quote

I think but don't quote me on this part of the user agreement of LIve and many other online games. is that the provider can cut the service anytime for any reason. If you did have them you forego them as soon as you agree to use the service.

Like most user agreements the devs have you over a barrel form the get go.
altitude2k
Kudos: 29

PostPosted: 11 Aug 09 5:14 pm Reply with quote

rabbit0147 wrote:
I want to know if they will bring out the ODST disc on its own without the halo multiplayer disc. I mean i don't have xbox live and don't intend to get it, so why should i have to pay for a disc i'm not going to use.

Not being funny but that's a stupid thing to say - do you demand to pay half price for other games because they include multiplayer segments?
sonic_uk
Kudos: 19

PostPosted: 11 Aug 09 7:08 pm Reply with quote

Wow, I didn't know people were still playing Halo 2 online. Guess it goes to show even after all this time its still good fun to play.

Personally I think 100 people on the friends list is more than enougth, I mean who honestly has more than 100 friends? Much like various social networking sites I don't see the point in trying to get as many people on your friends list as possible and only have genuine friends on mine. I think if people are still playing and enjoying Halo 2 online than they should keep the servers open.

BeauBeau wrote:
This raises a question I've never considered before: for how long can the owner of a game reasonably expect any online part of it to continue being hosted? Does the industry itself have any rules about when (or indeed, if) they can shut down a game's online action?

Suppose (hypothetically) that I, a humble consumer, went to Game/Gamestation today and purchased a copy of Halo 2. Then tomorrow Bungie decided to jack the plug on its online elements. Do I have any consumer rights?

Just a thought: it's a slow day in the office...
I have thought this for many years, and its the very reason I wont buy any online only game, as if I ever want to revisit the game years later I cannot if the servers have been shut down.

Last edited by sonic_uk on 11 Aug 09 7:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
richard99
Kudos: 23

PostPosted: 11 Aug 09 8:46 pm Reply with quote

I play Halo 3 online all the time but now and again I do swap over to Halo 2 just to play on some different maps.
It's still a great game and it's surprising how many people are still on it and how quick you can find a game in matchmaking. I think a few of them are still on the original xbox.
I'd go with being able to play a great game over having a huge friends list. Is there really that many gamers that need more than 100 friends?
pherik
Kudos: 25

PostPosted: 12 Aug 09 12:07 am Reply with quote

If MS really wanted to be nice to their Halo fans, how much trouble would it be for them to patch Halo 2 to work with more friends? The original Xbox could download game patches as well couldn't it?
The again, if the problem is more ingrained in the Xbox1, then I guess they'd have to kill online support for all games on the xbox1

It's not unprecidented for console (or PC) games to have their online component switched off. EA release a list every year (more or less) of all the games that are having their multiplayer servers switched off - not sure that many of their games last more than a 3 years.
Jensonjet
Kudos: 22

PostPosted: 12 Aug 09 4:50 am Reply with quote

sonic UK, it's not about collecting as many friends as possible. I guess depending on the type of player and person you are, but if you enjoy co-op games, you're very likely to start adding new friends rapidly. For example, when I finally got around to buying Left4Dead (at a more realistic price!) I knew I'd have to go through hell for a couple of weeks building up a set of gamers who were 1. talkative and friendly, 2. decent, organised co-op gamers. Practically all my friendlist is made up of co-op gamers. This game style attracts some of the worst gamers you could ever meet. Disruptive, immature, teamkilling, talentless, you name it they'll end up in co-op at some point.

So to get the most out of these games you're forced to go 'fishing' for new friends. So any time you want to play there's hopefully always a decent set of players out there, rather than hope you bump into nice gamers to play with. That's the theory, and it works, but taking into account how quickly people give up on games on consoles it's always handy to keep building the list of friends. I recently had to start clearing out a few because of the limit. Annoying, because everyone of the people in my list are as I described, friendly, fun, organised, good co-op players.

I admit out of the now 96 friends on my list, only a handful are really, really good friends, but I'm sure most of them would be real-life friends if they lived close.

While I don't play and don't care for Halo I actually don't think the answer should be to cut off the servers and ruin players possible favourite game. I think a better solution is for Microsoft to sort it out! As in, get an update made that resolves the issue... surely they've made enough money out of Halo fans that there has to be an answer and the cost shouldn't be an issue. Cutting off the servers, or worse still blaming Halo 2 fans for the size of the friends list is pretty immature. I thought pointing fingers and blaming people were what we as gamers/forum users do. I would have expected more from Mothership Microsoft.
sfk1973
Kudos: 17

PostPosted: 12 Aug 09 6:18 am Reply with quote

i havent got it myself ,didnt have online at the time!but i think if theres still alot of people playing it and obviously they have to pay for xbox live then i feel they should be allowed to continue,and as for 100 person cap cmon,ive recently cut my friends list down to who i game with or talk to,if you need more than that me thinks thers summit up,besides if youve got a memory big enuf to remember 100 or more peeps,then im sure youll have no probs just entering sum1 s gamertag to look em up,seems to me like a lame excuse just to stop something ,some may see as expendable!
Zonf
Kudos: 28

PostPosted: 12 Aug 09 12:21 pm Reply with quote

Jensonjet wrote:
This game style attracts some of the worst gamers you could ever meet. Disruptive, immature, teamkilling, talentless, you name it they'll end up in co-op at some point.

Tbh, any game style attracts that type of gamer. Co-op merely emphasises those qualities.
Jensonjet
Kudos: 22

PostPosted: 12 Aug 09 1:46 pm Reply with quote

Zonf, I agree. And that's why anyone who likes playing with friendly, organised people and enjoys the social aspect of gaming online could well do with a larger friends list. Of the near 100 friends I have, I only ever see about 20-odd, maximum, online at once, and of that amount, only a handful are ever playing what I'm playing.

What people fail to understand is when you've met someone who's talkative and friendly, and good to play with, there's bound to be a period when you don't meet up because you don't share the same games. Case in point, I have several friends who I met in Rainbow Six. I don't play with them currently but I look forward to gaming with them again when we've got the same game. To me only people who aren't social, struggle to make friends, aren't team-players, new to Xbox Live, or just don't enjoy social gaming find 100 friends acceptable.

But as I mentioned previously, regardless of my dislike for Halo, for fellow gamers, I believe Microsoft shouldn't stop Halo 2, but work out a way of fixing the friends list and allowing Halo 2 to continue. I thought Microsoft were a big company who's main business was software! They act like a bunch of kids working out of a bedroom sometimes.
WormyTheWorm
Kudos: 17

PostPosted: 12 Aug 09 2:56 pm Reply with quote

If the reason is so they can increase the amount of people on friends lists then i say keep it online... 100 is way more than any1 would ever need. What would the new cap be anyway? 200, 500 1000?
I have about 50-ish on mine & i am going to prune it down as i feel thats an excessive amount. I only play a few of them regularly... some ive not played for many months so its a bit of a waste of space for a lot of people i think.

What about other original xbox games that are still played? does them being online affect the 360's friends list capacity or is it just halo because it has dedicated servers?

I was gutted when the Dreamcast WormsWorldParty's servers got shut off but there was only a tiny amount of people playing that regularly and i expected that to be shut down before it was... it didnt have a yearly subscription fee to pay for the server(s)though.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Article Comments All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: