Login to access exclusive gaming content, win competition prizes
and post on our forums. Don't have an account? Create one now!
Why should you join?
Click here for full benefits!
Follow our Twitter feedPS3 Slim spotted in Batman movie? http://bit.ly/Fc9oW
SIGN IN/JOIN UP
GamesForumsCheatsVideo
Tekken 6 intro movies | MS experimenting with Games On Demand pricing | Super Star Wars coming to VC | Fat Princess patched | New Need for Speed: Shift video | Burnout running on Natal - video | Iwata: 'No price cuts planned' | Does new Batman video show blurred out PS3 Slim? | Six Days In Fallujah dev closed? | Guitar Hero: Van Halen "reveal" trailer | 50 Cent voices Modern Warfare 2 | COD Classic priced? | Five new Sigma 2 co-op shots | Iwata: Nintendo's E3 briefing wasn't good enough | Retailers date LittleBigPlanet PSP | New Warlock of Firetop Mountain screens | THQ acquires Midway San Diego studio | New Dirt 2 DS shots | MX vs ATV Reflex movie | Championship Manager trailer | Games For Windows - Live 3.0 launched | World Of Warcraft censored in China? | Tales of Monkey Island chapter two dated | Wii Sports Resort does 600k across Europe | 82 Forza 3 screens
All|PC|PlayStation|Xbox|Nintendo|Download PC Games
Search CVG
Computer And Video Games - The latest gaming news, reviews, previews & movies
Activision would like to raise game prices further
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
View previous topic - View next topic  
BeauBeau
Kudos: 24

PostPosted: 7 Aug 09 8:15 am Reply with quote

Bobby Kotick is an ass. Discuss.
Leders
Kudos: 18

PostPosted: 7 Aug 09 8:30 am Reply with quote

Thanks Bobby, but if you dont mind, i'll just go rent your games out, because £50 + for a game is daylight robbery!
bagofbones
Kudos: 24

PostPosted: 7 Aug 09 8:33 am Reply with quote

"He's an a**hole"

*insert Marty McFly accent for better effect.
versionr
Kudos: 20

PostPosted: 7 Aug 09 8:39 am Reply with quote

Expect more people to buy on the 2nd hand market, you won't see any revenue from that!
Tonyb
Kudos: 35

PostPosted: 7 Aug 09 8:42 am Reply with quote

If people keep paying it, they'll keep raising it, simple as that!!
kimoak
Kudos: 28

PostPosted: 7 Aug 09 8:47 am Reply with quote

I see subscriptions for newzbin and giganews rising if the prices raise even higher. This will more than likely encourage more piracy.
WHERESMYMONKEY
Kudos: 31

PostPosted: 7 Aug 09 8:48 am Reply with quote

quick we must go back in time and kill this bastard before he became the head of the biggest games company in the world.

What a t**t. They have a couple great franchise so they diside to rip its fans off. f**k that who's for boycotting MW2 in favour of COD4 or Bad Company 2. The first had waay more character than Call of Duty ever did.

f**k YOU ACTIVISION!
ei8hty5ive
Kudos: 14

PostPosted: 7 Aug 09 8:49 am Reply with quote

Is it the same Activision who recently told Sony to drop the price of the PS3 or they might stop developing for them? They are hypocrites, it's ok for them to fleece customers if they are earning money but others must lose money to appease them. I think everyone should boycott Activisions future releases at launch until they drop the price THEN buy when the price comes down...
paul_brown940
Kudos: 33

PostPosted: 7 Aug 09 8:56 am Reply with quote

What would be interesting to see is whether the so called 'casual' market would be willing to take on a higher price point?

Personally I was expecting prices to start coming down as the volume of sales increased.

Raising prices along with the world recession could push the games market backwards in terms of total revenue as people buy less games.

Also, if less people buy full priced games then there will be less second hand games around which will in turn cause their price to rise aswell.
Blackest_Waltz
Kudos: 16

PostPosted: 7 Aug 09 8:57 am Reply with quote

Looks like I'll be buying that second hand. And £20 for DLC? Bugger that for a game of soldiers. I think they've got it seriously wrong, especially in time of recession.
minignaz
Kudos: 36

PostPosted: 7 Aug 09 9:00 am Reply with quote

I think it's bad for them to judge this on pre-orders though, most online places offer a good pre-order price then raise it just prior to launch.

I had no intention of getting MW2, and now I doubt I'll get any more Activision games until they get their act together, or it's second hand/in the bargain bin. It's been a weird couple of years with them and EA, they have completely shifted their stances.
If they want a reason why there is so much piracy, this is a good one.
Willforbes
Kudos: 19

PostPosted: 7 Aug 09 9:08 am Reply with quote

i noticed they raised the price by about a tenner for the pc version to £34.99 - you see activision, if pc users feel a company is ripping them off, we will just pirate your game and play it for free, its as simple as that. we are not your console sheep, you have overstepped the mark.
Mark240473
Kudos: 36

PostPosted: 7 Aug 09 9:09 am Reply with quote

I really hope that this attitude eventually bites them on the ass.

I'm joining the 2nd hand club.

Tossers.

What annoys me the most is the fact that most COD fans will pay more for it.
ParmaViolet
Kudos: 37

PostPosted: 7 Aug 09 9:15 am Reply with quote

minignaz wrote:
I think it's bad for them to judge this on pre-orders though, most online places offer a good pre-order price then raise it just prior to launch.

I had no intention of getting MW2, and now I doubt I'll get any more Activision games until they get their act together, or it's second hand/in the bargain bin. It's been a weird couple of years with them and EA, they have completely shifted their stances.
If they want a reason why there is so much piracy, this is a good one.

Bang on the money.

I can only really see this sort of move increasing the rate of piracy and the sales of pre-owned games....two things that a publisher hates the most.

I'm not a COD fan and the only real Activision title that I've bought in the past is Guitar Hero - but, I won't be buying that (QOTSA track and they give us 'Make it Witchu'?) - so, I can't see me buying any more Activision games for the forseeable future...this has just made that decision a whole lot easier.

Smile
Spiny
Kudos: 12

PostPosted: 7 Aug 09 9:19 am Reply with quote

Well, I'd like to stick "Bobby"'s head up his ass!
lawless1891
Kudos: 32

PostPosted: 7 Aug 09 9:20 am Reply with quote

Activision keeps mentioning the MW2 RRP will be over £55 which keeps the game in the news loop and all of us outraged and talking about their games on these news stories and forums ,and so now when its finally released and shops are selling it for a £44 the majority of gamers will say to themselves "see i knew it wouldn't be £55 its ONLY £44 BARGAIN"
So Activision get their £4 price rise and are still gods in the eyes of the masses because they only raised the price by £4.

Here is how twisted COD fans can be if you mention you dont agree with Activisions pricing policies

(quote)
Anyway, the price it is for the zombies alone is more than worth it in my opinion. And f**k you i hope your parents die slowly of aids if you don't agree.
Dajmin
Kudos: 37

PostPosted: 7 Aug 09 9:20 am Reply with quote

Absolutely. Of course publishers and retailers approve of a price hike, that's how they make more money. But not if it hurts sales. £50 for a new game is already appalling, even £40 seems a bit steep, but I appreciate all the people who are required to make games these days.

It's definitely a sure-fire way to ensure more pirate copies get used than retail.
WHERESMYMONKEY
Kudos: 31

PostPosted: 7 Aug 09 9:23 am Reply with quote

This is true, but most COD fans i've had the displeasure of meeting are complete meatheads.
DrRickDagless MD
Kudos: 15

PostPosted: 7 Aug 09 9:23 am Reply with quote

I cant help but feel that we're all just pissing in the wind. Companies like Activision will do what they want and no boycot will be big enough to cause any pain to their wallet. You talk to most people buying MW2 in HMV around christmas they wont even know who activision is.

The only thing we can hope for is the industry to level out a bit and allow devs not to need/want to be under the Activision umberalla.

EA realised that they needed to improve there brand just to get some respect back. They didn't need to but I applaud the atempt.

As a group myself and friends have decided not to get MW2 this christmas. Mainly because we have other games we are looking forward to more.

Last edited by DrRickDagless MD on 7 Aug 09 9:29 am; edited 1 time in total
roger4000

PostPosted: 7 Aug 09 9:24 am Reply with quote

LEDERS your on the ball. that's just what i do with lovefilms.com. it's saved me a fortune in just the few months i have been renting. games like force unleashed are an evenings entertainment but i would have forked out 40 quid for it. i could name many more i would have bought then sold on ebay a month later. cod 6 will be normal price in ASDA / MORRISONS i can gurantee it. i would never, ever pay £55.00 for a game no matter what it was. apart from resi 4 Confused oh! what about that £75 copy of super star wars imported for the snes i bought. at least it was on a nice hefty cartridge, good old value for money, those were the days Wink
duncanskuse

PostPosted: 7 Aug 09 9:29 am Reply with quote

He'd be an idiot if he didn't want to raise his profits. Are all of you so stupid that you don't know about capitalism? Take your heads out of your arses and look around.
bmaindj

PostPosted: 7 Aug 09 9:29 am Reply with quote

They say that the pre-orders taken suggest they can charge higher prices. What they probably forgot to mention was that most people have had this on pre-order for most of the year when it was down at a reasonable price of about £40.

It's disgusting what they are doing but once MW2 hits the selves people won't care about an extra £10 if the game is as good as it's being billed to be.

It took well over a year for the price of MW1 to come down so unless you like waiting that long for it most will end up getting it anyway.
morpheus2n

PostPosted: 7 Aug 09 9:32 am Reply with quote

Yeah good one dev and publishers all demand the hardwar comes down in price but there more than happy to incress the price of software so ether way we all still out of pocket!!!
Scarlet_Pimp
Kudos: 21

PostPosted: 7 Aug 09 9:37 am Reply with quote

I aint buying MW2 till its lets than 30 quid.
/"\
|\./|
| |
| |
|>~<|
| |
/'\| |/'\..
/~\| | | | \
| =[@]= | | \
| | | | | \
| ~ ~ ~ ~ |` )
| /
\ /
\ /
\ _____ /
|--//''`\--|
| (( +==)) |
|--\_|_//--|
Sit on it Activision.
Conkers

PostPosted: 7 Aug 09 9:37 am Reply with quote

Hey look guys, a story everyone can agree on, hath hell frozen over? Now we can all dance round the maypole with daisies in our hair, going la la la laaaa la laaa la.

It’s not very astute to announce that they would love to charge consumers more than what they are paying now for the same product, for the same cost of production, in the midst of worldwide economic downturn. I can see it from his business side, of course you would if you want to make oodles more cash, but you wouldn’t publicly announce it the way he did, you’d just slip it in, blaming raising costs, less revenue and so on.

On a customers viewpoint though, which in this case I am, I just think he’s a thieving f**king t**t.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Article Comments All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to: