Login to access exclusive gaming content, win competition prizes
and post on our forums. Don't have an account? Create one now!
Why should you join?
Click here for full benefits!
Follow our Twitter feedPS3 Slim spotted in Batman movie? http://bit.ly/Fc9oW
SIGN IN/JOIN UP
GamesForumsCheatsVideo
Tekken 6 intro movies | MS experimenting with Games On Demand pricing | Super Star Wars coming to VC | Fat Princess patched | New Need for Speed: Shift video | Burnout running on Natal - video | Iwata: 'No price cuts planned' | Does new Batman video show blurred out PS3 Slim? | Six Days In Fallujah dev closed? | Guitar Hero: Van Halen "reveal" trailer | 50 Cent voices Modern Warfare 2 | COD Classic priced? | Five new Sigma 2 co-op shots | Iwata: Nintendo's E3 briefing wasn't good enough | Retailers date LittleBigPlanet PSP | New Warlock of Firetop Mountain screens | THQ acquires Midway San Diego studio | New Dirt 2 DS shots | MX vs ATV Reflex movie | Championship Manager trailer | Games For Windows - Live 3.0 launched | World Of Warcraft censored in China? | Tales of Monkey Island chapter two dated | Wii Sports Resort does 600k across Europe | 82 Forza 3 screens
All|PC|PlayStation|Xbox|Nintendo|Download PC Games
Search CVG
Computer And Video Games - The latest gaming news, reviews, previews & movies
360 Games-on-demand pricing detailed
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic - View next topic  
dangermou5e
Kudos: 32

PostPosted: 6 Aug 09 5:05 pm Reply with quote

I dont mind downloadin arcade titles but i wont download these due to fact that my local corner shop sells most of these between £10 and £15 quid each and if you shop online you could get them even cheaper
CURRENTLY PLAYING:Battlestations Pacific, Grid
---------------------------------------------
In the words of Valhalla "Its only a demo"
StonecoldMC
Kudos: 38

PostPosted: 6 Aug 09 5:09 pm Reply with quote

Hopefully in a years time a Game will be released in the stores and be available for digital download on the same day.

That is the future, isnt it?
KMakawa
Kudos: 22

PostPosted: 6 Aug 09 5:12 pm Reply with quote

Spot on stonecold, spot on.
pishers
Kudos: 29

PostPosted: 6 Aug 09 5:14 pm Reply with quote

how does this work?

if you delete a downloaded game can you re-download for free?

is it possible to sign into someone elses 360 and download a game already downloaded? i dont even know if its possible to log into someone else's 360 as yourself.
monkey_puncher
Kudos: 31

PostPosted: 6 Aug 09 5:14 pm Reply with quote

It certainly is, but I'm guessing we won't see that for a while as none of the console makers will want to p**s off retail that much. Certainly not until they bring out a console that is completely focused on downloadable games.
porkHammer
Kudos: 11

PostPosted: 6 Aug 09 5:18 pm Reply with quote

Quite a few of these games can be picked up for less than $10 in store. $19.99 seems overpriced.
Conkers
Kudos: 28

PostPosted: 6 Aug 09 5:20 pm Reply with quote

StonecoldMC wrote:
Hopefully in a years time a Game will be released in the stores and be available for digital download on the same day.

That is the future, isnt it?

I doubt it, they value their ‘relationship’ with retailers a little too much, and seeing as they are the main source of income for them through software sales I wouldn’t envisage same day downloads for a long, long time, if ever. Cutting out the middle man will only be biting the hand that feeds them…
Robzy1990
Kudos: 16

PostPosted: 6 Aug 09 5:21 pm Reply with quote

monkey_puncher wrote:
It certainly is, but I'm guessing we won't see that for a while as none of the console makers will want to p**s off retail that much. Certainly not until they bring out a console that is completely focused on downloadable games.

The future?

The future would be to have a game downloading about the same time as it goes gold but once it's downloaded it's unplayable until a second past midnight!! No more waiting in the rain / cold outside Game for the latest Halo!!!

THAT is the future!
SoulChimera
Kudos: 35

PostPosted: 6 Aug 09 5:21 pm Reply with quote

Yep, I won't be getting any of these either. I've bought most of those for a lot less.

Fight Night Round 3 - £7 a few years ago from Gamestation
Mass Effect - £6 A few months ago from Blockbuster
Need for Speed: Most Wanted - £12 a few months after launch from Ebay
Perfect Dark Zero - £5 for the limited editon about 2 years ago from Game
Prey - £3 Game.co.uk about 18 months ago
Sega Rally - £4 Blockbuster a few months ago
Viva Piñata - £7 for the limited edition from Ebay not long after it came out

Now, I know most of these were preowned, but I would rather pay a 3rd of the price and actually own something physical.

Game's online preowned section has most of those games for under a tenner.
adgr19
Kudos: 23

PostPosted: 6 Aug 09 5:26 pm Reply with quote

where do they get this pricing from? what are their overheads? this will flop because as previously spotted by other people a lot of the games listed can be brought for less than a tenner and in a nice shiny box.
Soviet1918
Kudos: 3

PostPosted: 6 Aug 09 5:29 pm Reply with quote

* NO TO DOWNLOAD ONLY GAMES * This is gonna be one massive ripoff and if MS get there way you will not have a choice, as you know MS and the second hand market are a thorn in there side that MS would love to pull out ,getting rid of discs, do that then its download only games ,no choice on price, eg at the moment Bioshock 2000ms points = £17 On that auction site Bioshock limited edition cost about £9.
YCshinobi

PostPosted: 6 Aug 09 5:30 pm Reply with quote

Only game there i'm interested in is Burnout Paradise, I don't think I'm going to download it though.
Aliens: Colonial Marines
Bioshock 2
Mass Effect 2
Modern Warfare 2
Wii
Metroid: Other M
Tatsunoko vs Capcom
Monster Hunter 3
No More Heroes 2
Red Steel 2
wyabcp1
Kudos: 17

PostPosted: 6 Aug 09 5:30 pm Reply with quote

much rather wait till the games are cheap on ebay, and then complete them and just send them on.
I've still got boxes of Saturn and dreamcast games that cost a small fortune, ebay wasn't around that time, and looking at them now... i think what a waste of money
Soviet1918
Kudos: 3

PostPosted: 6 Aug 09 5:31 pm Reply with quote

* NO TO DOWNLOAD ONLY GAMES * This is gonna be one massive ripoff and if MS get there way you will not have a choice, as you know MS and the second hand market are a thorn in there side that MS would love to pull out ,getting rid of discs, do that then its download only games ,no choice on price, eg at the moment Bioshock 2000ms points = £17 On that auction site Bioshock limited edition cost about £9.
footieharry

PostPosted: 6 Aug 09 5:32 pm Reply with quote

how come usa get it cheeper?
Eclipse Dj
Kudos: 28

PostPosted: 6 Aug 09 5:40 pm Reply with quote

Burnout Paradise £9.79
Sega Rally £9.91
Test Drive £11.73
Viva Pinata £7.79
Viva Pinata 2 £9.98
Kameo £4.99
Perfect Dark Zero £6.85
TR Legend £7.79
PREY £6.87
Assassin's Creed £8.99
Table Tennis £9.89
R6 Vegas £8.95
Fight Night 3 £9.87
Mass Effect £13.19

Just done a quick online search and these are the prices for some of the titles right now. ALL brand new and delivered to your door.

So how many people will want to take up serious hard drive space and pay extra when they can own a hard copy for less? which can also be taken round friends etc and has a sell on value when you get bored!
monkeybaby
Kudos: 19

PostPosted: 6 Aug 09 5:52 pm Reply with quote

Jeez, I HATE this 'points' system that Microsoft and Nintendo employ. I don't have a credit card which makes it very difficult to purchase these items with any great ease. Yes, I can go out and get a points card, but they're next to useless because of the denominations they come in (once you buy a major title, you're left with an amount of points that can't buy anything of any use!). Why not stick with the Sony model which at least allows use of a debit card? I'd love to give Microsoft and Nintendo my money - they just make it so bloody hard!
lordirongut
Kudos: 21

PostPosted: 6 Aug 09 6:03 pm Reply with quote

I already have all the ones worth owning. It's still too early for this idea to take off, unless new releases are MUCH, MUCH, cheaper than they are at retail. I'm thinking half price cheaper.
Tonyb

PostPosted: 6 Aug 09 6:03 pm Reply with quote

As others have said, the price for the majority of those titles is too much, but I'm guessing it's a case of Microsoft testing the water to see how may suckers are prepared to buy at those prices.

If the take-up is p**s poor then they'll obviously have to do a rethink on their pricing policy, so here's hoping this goes down like a lead balloon.
zodyack

PostPosted: 6 Aug 09 6:16 pm Reply with quote

Totally agree with the above posts: they're simply overpriced...

I used to pre-order a lot of titles but these days I just add the ones I'm interested in to Gamestracker's website and set a price I'm willing to pay - and it's surprising how quickly the price drops to that kind of level.

Unless I'm a massive-massive fan of a particular title I've totally given up on paying the RRP on release day - so I certainly won't be paying way over the RRP for a download only version with no onward-sale value at all (plus it takes up HDD space which is already taken up installing said hard copies in the first place).
zodyack

PostPosted: 6 Aug 09 6:18 pm Reply with quote

monkeybaby wrote:
Jeez, I HATE this 'points' system that Microsoft and Nintendo employ. I don't have a credit card which makes it very difficult to purchase these items with any great ease. Yes, I can go out and get a points card, but they're next to useless because of the denominations they come in (once you buy a major title, you're left with an amount of points that can't buy anything of any use!). Why not stick with the Sony model which at least allows use of a debit card? I'd love to give Microsoft and Nintendo my money - they just make it so bloody hard!

Aren't they doing away with Points only for this service? I'm not sure if they'll take a debit card card but they're certainly taking a one-off credit card payment... If your debit card has the Visa symbol on it, you may get away with it regardless Smile
monty_79

PostPosted: 6 Aug 09 6:45 pm Reply with quote

Yeah. Only one I want that I don't already have from that list is Burnout paradise. You can get Fable 2 and burnout P for £30 new from hmv.
Legrasse
Kudos: 19

PostPosted: 6 Aug 09 7:21 pm Reply with quote

I think they're overpriced, but I can still see this being a hit, a lot of people will pay over the odds for the convenience of being able to get a game there and then. Just imagine you wake up on a Friday, think 'I fancy playing X game tonight...'. You can then set it downloading, leave your Xbox on during the day to do the deed, and when you get home in the evening with your jaffa cakes you're all set. Good times. It might also be awesome from a stoner's point of view. These guys often can't make it to the store, or even across the room to the PC, so having games on demand will be like crack on tap.
zodyack

PostPosted: 6 Aug 09 8:04 pm Reply with quote

Legrasse wrote:
I think they're overpriced, but I can still see this being a hit, a lot of people will pay over the odds for the convenience of being able to get a game there and then. Just imagine you wake up on a Friday, think 'I fancy playing X game tonight...'. You can then set it downloading, leave your Xbox on during the day to do the deed, and when you get home in the evening with your jaffa cakes you're all set. Good times. It might also be awesome from a stoner's point of view. These guys often can't make it to the store, or even across the room to the PC, so having games on demand will be like crack on tap.

Hmm... one way of looking at it! Wink I wonder if that'll make it in to Microsoft's marketing campaign:

"Games On Demand: The Stoner's Choice"
pR!M8
Kudos: 30

PostPosted: 6 Aug 09 8:08 pm Reply with quote

Those prices are ridiculous.

Remember a few years ago when games companies were touting the revolutionary and i quote, "cheaper" games downloads that we would see.

Cheaper? we all asked. Well yes they said, by cutting out the middle man and the cost of disks/packaging etc we can pass the savings onto the consumer. Oh cool, bring it on then.

Oh but look how it has all panned out. Are we actually seeing these savings on games digitally distributed? Are we f**k!

CoD4 £14.99 (retail) - £29.99 (Steam)
SF4 £17.73 (retail) - £29.99 (steam)
TS3 £23.99 (retail) - £39.99!! (EA Store)
Spore £24.96 (retail (In Stock)) - £39.99!! (EA Store) (Cheapest was £19.99 but not in stock)
Damnation £17.99 (retail) - £34.99 (Codemasters.co.uk)
To name but a few.

As you can see, apart from some of the limited time savings you can get now and then these companies are just trying to rip us off rather than 'pass on the savings'.

So im sorry MS if im not jumping around with joy over your games on demand digital distribution service but you, with all the others can shove it up your digital arseholes untill you stop taking the p**s.

/rantover.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Article Comments All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: