Login to access exclusive gaming content, win competition prizes
and post on our forums. Don't have an account? Create one now!
Why should you join?
Click here for full benefits!
Follow our Twitter feedHere are the 20 people about to play Shadow Complex TODAY! http://bit.ly/3xmlgA
SIGN IN/JOIN UP
GamesForumsCheatsVideo
Pay what you want for Champ Manager 2010 | Mini Ninjas demo detailed | Spore hits Wii, DS in October | Germany becomes biggest Euro games market | New Supercar Challenge vids | Xbox 360 Arcade price rise imminent? | MAG gets January US date | New Pokémon gets 2010 date | Dirt 2: A "Rally rally good" trailer | Ashes Cricket holds top spot | I Am Alive - alive | StarCraft II single-player exposed | Red Alert 3 for XBLA, PSN | Vote for Sega's next XBLA game | Play Shadow Complex today | Batman: The gadgets video | New Splinter Cell screens | Champions Online open beta | Deering: Ten million game sales the new target | Operation Flashpoint vehicles vid | L4D 2: New campaign revealed | Gabe Newell: "sorry" to PS3 owners | Turtles: Smash Up video | Xbox 360 tops nine million in Europe | New PSN racer out next week
All|PC|PlayStation|Xbox|Nintendo|Download PC Games
Search CVG
Computer And Video Games - The latest gaming news, reviews, previews & movies
Apple's tablet games machine spotted
Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic - View next topic  
voodoo341
Kudos: 38

PostPosted: 6 Aug 09 8:34 am Reply with quote

It'll need to be good at that price.
kimoak
Kudos: 29

PostPosted: 6 Aug 09 8:45 am Reply with quote

Quote:
will cost between $700 and $800

If this is the case, I am curious of it's capabilities. I guess they will call it a 'Premium product' Smile
Mark240473
Kudos: 36

PostPosted: 6 Aug 09 9:13 am Reply with quote

Blimey, the PSP Go seems like a give-away compared to the price of the Apple doodah! Laughing
berelain
Kudos: 27

PostPosted: 6 Aug 09 9:14 am Reply with quote

I was going to say I hope its not another overpriced Apple product, but then I saw the price tag. Ouch. It better have some good capabilities for that price, because you can get a pretty powerful gaming laptop for that price with enough room to spare for an Xbox.
Wii: CP: EA Sports Active
PC: LOTRO, EndWar
DS: Final Fantasy IV
PSP: Brave Story
WHERESMYMONKEY
Kudos: 31

PostPosted: 6 Aug 09 9:22 am Reply with quote

if its anything like the I phone an apple gaming platform would be worse for shovelware and crap than both the ds and wii combined. It'll just be chesp rubbish and bad gimmicks all on your over priced load of crap. from apple.

I think i'll pass.
StonecoldMC
Kudos: 38

PostPosted: 6 Aug 09 9:31 am Reply with quote

This was inevitable, Ive always thought that Apple would enter the console race at some point.

There kind of where Sony used to be and are pretty much guaranteed 1st day sales of what a few million units, instantly!?

Very very interesting.
monty_79
Kudos: 23

PostPosted: 6 Aug 09 9:40 am Reply with quote

I think I will hold of judgement until it is released but if it costs $700-$800, you just know it is going to cost at least £600 over here.

Also, yeah. It is just going to have loads of utter crap on it, and I doubt it will be taken seriously as a gaming console. they do have to get it right though as, once the Mac enthsiasts have all bought one, it could still collapse (just like apple tv).

Still, it will be very interesting to see.
AJDarkstar
Kudos: 25

PostPosted: 6 Aug 09 9:54 am Reply with quote

How much? That's way to expensive for a gadget fan like me. Think I'll stick to proper consoles, ta. Besides, the market struggles with two very similar consoles in the PS3 and 360 already, so how will this fare? Apple presents the new Neo-Geo: too expensive for anyone but those rich enough to not care.
shellster2

PostPosted: 6 Aug 09 9:54 am Reply with quote

bit of a misleading article.

the supposed product is Apple's version of a netbook with a 10" screen. no physical keyboard so think a bigger version of the iphone/ipod touch. it will be a normal mac as well as being geared towards games (through touch controls i'm guessing). cvg are just over egging the pudding in this respect. but as people have already said it will connect to the app store and it will have a gargantuan amount of crap stuff available for you to download.

it will also hook up to your other mac devices in the house and if you've got half a brain it'll connect to a windows pc as well and of course any NAS drive's you may have. It's not cheap but it sounds pretty cool to me.

News of this has been all over ZD net for a while amongst other places, just in case you think i'm making this up.
Hobophobik
Kudos: 23

PostPosted: 6 Aug 09 9:57 am Reply with quote

StonecoldMC wrote:
This was inevitable, Ive always thought that Apple would enter the console race at some point.

I don't think they are specifically marketing this as a games console, it will be a much more generic device. Obviously this is a gaming site, so CVG are reporting on it from a gaming perspective.
headspin
Kudos: 26

PostPosted: 6 Aug 09 10:03 am Reply with quote

“ladies and gentlemen, first there was the clit-pod, then came the clit-phone……….. ladies and gentlemen I present the latest fashion accessory for all the sheep, the apple clit console!!!!”

(clit= every c*nt has one)
Mariokart Code: 1977-0293-7826
http://www.ctrlaltdel-online.com/comics/20050205.jpg
jonbwfc

PostPosted: 6 Aug 09 10:30 am Reply with quote

It's not a bloody 'games machine'. There's more chance of it running Windows than it being specifically designed for games. What it will be (if it exists at all) is basically a scaled up iPod Touch - possibly with 3g data connection but very unlikely to have iPhone style voice functionality. Given it will have access to the App Store it will be able to download and play the games on there - although I'm not sure how well games designed for a (what?) 480*320 3 inch screen are going to look scaled up to 10" wide.

It's a computer. Therefore you can play games on it. That doesn't make it a 'games machine' any more than the fact I put my shopping in the boot makes my car a tractor.

Jon
ParmaViolet
Kudos: 37

PostPosted: 6 Aug 09 10:33 am Reply with quote

I have never and will never purchase an Apple product.

I have no doubts that it will be over-priced tat that boasts a load of features that are absolutely rubbish.

Click Here

I think that sums the company and their products up rather nicely.

Smile
GTCzeero
Kudos: 12

PostPosted: 6 Aug 09 10:33 am Reply with quote

Despite the cost, despite the fact that the software will probably consist entirely of shovelware, and despite the fact there's already beter alternatives available, people will buy it in droves. Why? Because it's an Apple product, and some people just can't be helped.
theideal
Kudos: 39

PostPosted: 6 Aug 09 10:41 am Reply with quote

I hear it's just going to run the iphone version of the OS and not regular OSX.
I used to be a massive supporter of Apple, especially being in the industry I'm in, but after some recent customer service 'issues' Apple can GTF!
jonbwfc

PostPosted: 6 Aug 09 11:17 am Reply with quote

ParmaViolet wrote:

How wonderful it must be to have such clarity of vision.

Jon
Osiris25
Kudos: 16

PostPosted: 6 Aug 09 11:28 am Reply with quote

Well technically speaking this would be the second attempt at entering into the console arena after the first effort the Apple Pippin in 1995/6. That was over priced and promised to do lots of things but gaming was its main use. It flopped big time, and if there is any truth in a Apple console at that price it could all be history repeating its self.
paul_brown940
Kudos: 33

PostPosted: 6 Aug 09 11:44 am Reply with quote

headspin wrote:
“ladies and gentlemen, first there was the clit-pod, then came the clit-phone……….. ladies and gentlemen I present the latest fashion accessory for all the sheep, the apple clit console!!!!”

I'm gonna go crazy and take I wild stab in the dark, but I'm guessing your not an Apple fan???? (the company not the fruit, or maybe not the fruit aswell) Am I right or am I right (bloody father in law used to say that, I think he just liked to weight the argument in his favour) Smile
Jensonjet
Kudos: 22

PostPosted: 6 Aug 09 11:52 am Reply with quote

It's amazing how dramatic kids get about a manufacturer who undoubtly doesn't make any products within their budget, or to suit their needs.

I could equally dramatic and immature about hundreds of manufacturers I'm not interested in, but you know what, it would be pointless, and ultimately who cares! As a designer I use a Mac, and as a gamer I use a 360. I don't use any other products from Apple or Microsoft, but I'm not bitter about them releasing other products. It seems these days everyone's desperate to change their phones every year, and have a collection of gadgets that play games or music, I don't need these products to fulfill my life. But I'm not going call those that purchase such goods any particular names, or make up ridiculous predictions about new products. Clearly every day we all prove how little interest we have in thousands of products we don't purchase. I find it very odd that there are those willing to concentrate and post comments about products they know nothing about and would never buy.

People need to grow up a little. If a product isn't for you, don't go all Playstation-fanboy, instead concentrate on what you like or want, not what you 'hate'! People are interested in thoughts or intelligent opinions, not brainless, pathetic, unwarranted, uninformed and immature dislikes.
ricflair
Kudos: 32

PostPosted: 6 Aug 09 12:14 pm Reply with quote

ParmaViolet wrote:

I have no doubts that it will be over-priced tat that boasts a load of features that are absolutely rubbish.

Click Here

Smile

I was the same, nearly everybody I knew who bought Macs just wouldn't shut up about them and it wasn't about the differences that make them a more viable purchase for certain people - it was the the gimmicks! And the white headphone on ipods I don't care for either. Here Mr Mugger, you can be 99% sure there's something worth nicking in my pocket!

But I got an iphone when my contract came up and I have no complaints at all - in fact there was nothing anywhere near on par with it as a mobile phone for surfing etc when I got it. I just hate itunes as a piece of software (quite possibly set in my ways) and the whole mp3 download thing in general.

But the article says its a tablet. Never says its a console and Apple have been talking about entering the netbook market for a while.

I'm sitting in the garden typing this on a 10.2" asus 1000he, battery lasts all day (if I treat it right!), runs XP, surfs fine, plays films, runs MAME, GENS etc, word processing etc and it cost £300. I'm sure it's not as powerful as this mac thingy but it does the job!! In fact I hardly ever use my quad core pc anymore, so the monitor has come downstairs and is attached to the 360!

Gotta love The Onion though!
shellster2

PostPosted: 6 Aug 09 12:25 pm Reply with quote

ricflair wrote:
ParmaViolet wrote:

Click Here

Smile

I was the same, nearly everybody I knew who bought Macs just wouldn't shut up about them and it wasn't about the differences that make them a more viable purchase for certain people - it was the the gimmicks! And the white headphone on ipods I don't care for either. Here Mr Mugger, you can be 99% sure there's something worth nicking in my pocket!

But I got an iphone when my contract came up and I have no complaints at all - in fact there was nothing anywhere near on par with it as a mobile phone for surfing etc when I got it. I just hate itunes as a piece of software (quite possibly set in my ways) and the whole mp3 download thing in general.

But the article says its a tablet. Never says its a console and Apple have been talking about entering the netbook market for a while.

I'm sitting in the garden typing this on a 10.2" asus 1000he, battery lasts all day (if I treat it right!), runs XP, surfs fine, plays films, runs MAME, GENS etc, word processing etc and it cost £300. I'm sure it's not as powerful as this mac thingy but it does the job!! In fact I hardly ever use my quad core pc anymore, so the monitor has come downstairs and is attached to the 360!

Gotta love The Onion though!

sciver Laughing
jon_hill987
Kudos: 35

PostPosted: 6 Aug 09 12:34 pm Reply with quote

But will it have cut, copy and paste or will that have to wait for an update? I couldn't believe it when I saw apple are running TV adverts about copy/paste on the iPhone, it is a basic feature that should have been there from the start, lots of other phones have had it for years and they talk about it like it is the holy grail.

Nah, all apple products look pretty but they are overpriced and lacking basic features.
Barca Azul
Kudos: 25

PostPosted: 6 Aug 09 12:42 pm Reply with quote

They will need a first party Dev to be taken seriously though, although there were rumours that they were considering buying EA!
headspin
Kudos: 26

PostPosted: 6 Aug 09 1:11 pm Reply with quote

paul_brown940 wrote:
headspin wrote:

I'm gonna go crazy and take I wild stab in the dark, but I'm guessing your not an Apple fan???? (the company not the fruit, or maybe not the fruit aswell) Am I right or am I right (bloody father in law used to say that, I think he just liked to weight the argument in his favour) Smile

i actually like the mac, the iphone crowd etc just irritate me cos the people that buy it do so mostly as a fashion accesory or are easily sold on silly apps like lightsabers or turning the phone into a shotgun, the apps that are useful on the iphone are already done better on other smartphones....
Mariokart Code: 1977-0293-7826
http://www.ctrlaltdel-online.com/comics/20050205.jpg
lordirongut
Kudos: 22

PostPosted: 6 Aug 09 1:42 pm Reply with quote

Haven't there been rumours of a new Apple gaming device for years? There are forums dated 2004 that discuss this sort of stuff.

Some Apple products are good, others aren't. The computers are nice, but I dislike the OS on them and they are very expensive - you can get a Windows PC or laptop with similar specs much cheaper. I'm not big on iPods either. I don't think that apps are necessary and I think that sound quality is more important, something that I found them to be lacking in. Video quality on them is good, especially on the iTouch/iPhone, but you can get better screens than them as well. I believe that iPods of all varieties are overpriced and overrated and I personally went with a Walkman X-Series and a cheap £30 1GB Walkman B-Series (for when I know I have to leave it unattended), the X-Series has some of the best sound/video quality that I have ever seen and even the cheap B-Series knocks the socks off all the iPods in terms of sound quality, even though it has no video player.

I also agree that apps like the lightsaber app and shotgun app are silly, although I do know people that did buy it for music for the storage capacity.

Last edited by lordirongut on 6 Aug 09 1:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Article Comments All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: