Login to access exclusive gaming content, win competition prizes
and post on our forums. Don't have an account? Create one now!
Why should you join?
Click here for full benefits!
Follow our Twitter feedPS3 Slim spotted in Batman movie? http://bit.ly/Fc9oW
SIGN IN/JOIN UP
GamesForumsCheatsVideo
Tekken 6 intro movies | MS experimenting with Games On Demand pricing | Super Star Wars coming to VC | Fat Princess patched | New Need for Speed: Shift video | Burnout running on Natal - video | Iwata: 'No price cuts planned' | Does new Batman video show blurred out PS3 Slim? | Six Days In Fallujah dev closed? | Guitar Hero: Van Halen "reveal" trailer | 50 Cent voices Modern Warfare 2 | COD Classic priced? | Five new Sigma 2 co-op shots | Iwata: Nintendo's E3 briefing wasn't good enough | Retailers date LittleBigPlanet PSP | New Warlock of Firetop Mountain screens | THQ acquires Midway San Diego studio | New Dirt 2 DS shots | MX vs ATV Reflex movie | Championship Manager trailer | Games For Windows - Live 3.0 launched | World Of Warcraft censored in China? | Tales of Monkey Island chapter two dated | Wii Sports Resort does 600k across Europe | 82 Forza 3 screens
All|PC|PlayStation|Xbox|Nintendo|Download PC Games
Search CVG
Computer And Video Games - The latest gaming news, reviews, previews & movies
Activision taking Wolf leak "very seriously"
Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic - View next topic  
lordirongut
Kudos: 21

PostPosted: 6 Aug 09 5:59 pm Reply with quote

Anything that pis*es off Activision is good. Kudos to those who have obtained this, and I wish failure upon Activision in court. In fact, I wish failure on anything associated with Activision.
Tonyb
Kudos: 35

PostPosted: 6 Aug 09 6:05 pm Reply with quote

Why can't these sad pr1cks just wait until the game is released instead of getting a hard-on about distributing an unfinished build.

And people wonder why PC gaming is in the s**t it is!!
monty_79
Kudos: 22

PostPosted: 6 Aug 09 6:52 pm Reply with quote

Hmm, I have very mixed feelings about this.

Piracy is stealing, and it not just Activision who will suffer as a result of this. On the flip side, Activision will suffer (even if ever so slightly) so in that respect it is a good thing.

I can't stand those greedy bastards. They can f**k off. 2nd hand all the way for me. Looking forward to a drop in 2nd hand prices for MW1 once the sequel is released.

Pity I don't have a 2nd hand PS3 too, so I can spite Sony at the same time. c**ts.
JewJitsu
Kudos: 16

PostPosted: 6 Aug 09 7:16 pm Reply with quote

wow monty thats pretty harsh but i agree esp. the sony part
voodoo341
Kudos: 38

PostPosted: 6 Aug 09 7:18 pm Reply with quote

monty_79 wrote:
Hmm, I have very mixed feelings about this.

Piracy is stealing, and it not just Activision who will suffer as a result of this. On the flip side, Activision will suffer (even if ever so slightly) so in that respect it is a good thing.

I can't stand those greedy bastards. They can f**k off. 2nd hand all the way for me. Looking forward to a drop in 2nd hand prices for MW1 once the sequel is released.

Pity I don't have a 2nd hand PS3 too, so I can spite Sony at the same time. c**ts.

Confused a second hand PS3 wouldn't really spite Sony at all.
runadumb
Kudos: 31

PostPosted: 6 Aug 09 8:30 pm Reply with quote

If its the hardcore that are beta testing it then its no bad thing. Kinda like what people are doing with windows 7, but illegal.

I posted on these forums a while back about not buying Activision games due to their insane attack on brutal legends in the courts. I however wont slag them for chasing down the people responsible for this leak. Even though I feel in experienced users hands its just a beta test and does no harm.

Also Prototype is �20 on steam...so I may break my self imposed ban 2 weeks after making it Embarassed
Just finished Infamous and really fancy prototype
lordirongut

PostPosted: 6 Aug 09 8:47 pm Reply with quote

No, man! Have willpower!
The_KFD_Case

PostPosted: 6 Aug 09 8:49 pm Reply with quote

Tonyb wrote:
Why can't these sad pr1cks just wait until the game is released instead of getting a hard-on about distributing an unfinished build.

And people wonder why PC gaming is in the s**t it is!!

I concur with the emboldened bit.
runadumb

PostPosted: 6 Aug 09 9:40 pm Reply with quote

lordirongut wrote:
No, man! Have willpower!

But..but, it looks so much fun!
lordirongut

PostPosted: 6 Aug 09 9:59 pm Reply with quote

That's what Kotick wants you to think.
lawless1891
Kudos: 32

PostPosted: 6 Aug 09 10:20 pm Reply with quote

So is it true the W@W zombie map packs have all along just been a paid for demo for Activisions real zombie game Wolfenstein?

Calm down i'm only joking you addicts you.
Jensonjet

PostPosted: 7 Aug 09 5:46 am Reply with quote

And there was I thinking "who's going to play this online, with so much competition?" ...and now I have my answer - pirates - kids who can play it for free!

I recently read about someone who received a massive fine for downloading music. I have a feeling whoever is responsible for this is going to regret his actions. Pirating retail games is bad enough, but one that's not released is surely the best way to upset developers and publishers. I expect someone's going to be massively in debt once this goes to court.

It's really about time internet providers started to police this, or the law needs to get involved (if they've got time to sit beside roads desperately waiting for a speeding driver, they have time to plenty of other things!). While pirating clearly isn't anywhere near as serious as other crimes involving computers, the law has shown, when it cares, it can track down online criminals. It's about time pirating was taken more seriously by law enforcement agencies and the courts. The whole argument about privacy laws and people rights is pathetic. Only criminals or those involved in criminal activity have something to hide!

On the plus side, our internet speeds might improve too if movie, music and game pirates are stopped!
DrRickDagless MD
Kudos: 15

PostPosted: 7 Aug 09 7:40 am Reply with quote

I was really hoping this story was going to be about some actual wolves that had escaped the Activision Head Office.

Maybe they should get some to keep the workers in line.

These people who do this stuff are the norm it seems. Everytime I come on to these sites there has been a leak of some kind.

Sadley its the same for all other mediums of entertainment. Guess there's not much respect out there for the people and products.
WHERESMYMONKEY

PostPosted: 7 Aug 09 8:43 am Reply with quote

Activision may be evil, but the guys that made Prototype are just a dev that is a slave to this evil cash consuming monster. Help them earn thier freedom by buying Prototype.

It kicks ass too.
blind_fools
Kudos: 16

PostPosted: 7 Aug 09 9:09 am Reply with quote

� suggest not buying prototype its a crap game.
it has so many bugs it could rival mercenaries 2....... ok not that many but still.
it kept freezing up on me locking the whole system.
the missions are exactly the same, the whole game your either fighting the military or protecting them.
prototype would have to be the most repetitive game ive ever played, if you have to play it rent it its not worth 30 bucks.
not even 20.
as for wolfenstien im really excited for the game, but also verry worried.
theres no demo.
every game activision has released that had no demo i hated.
to me theres only 1 reason they wouldn't have a demo.
because they dident want to scare off the fans of the series.
ill wait for the reviews if any good i might rent it.
otherwise i aint buying any activision games this year, if they keep going the way they are i wont be buying their games ever again.
greedy SOBs
lawless1891

PostPosted: 7 Aug 09 9:29 am Reply with quote

If you have been playing COD W@W's zombie maps you will have already played the Wolfenstein DEMO Laughing

(only joking w@w fans dont get all bent outa shape)
The_KFD_Case

PostPosted: 7 Aug 09 9:42 am Reply with quote

Jensonjet wrote:
And there was I thinking "who's going to play this online, with so much competition?" ...and now I have my answer - pirates - kids who can play it for free!

I recently read about someone who received a massive fine for downloading music. I have a feeling whoever is responsible for this is going to regret his actions. Pirating retail games is bad enough, but one that's not released is surely the best way to upset developers and publishers. I expect someone's going to be massively in debt once this goes to court.

It's really about time internet providers started to police this, or the law needs to get involved (if they've got time to sit beside roads desperately waiting for a speeding driver, they have time to plenty of other things!). While pirating clearly isn't anywhere near as serious as other crimes involving computers, the law has shown, when it cares, it can track down online criminals. It's about time pirating was taken more seriously by law enforcement agencies and the courts. The whole argument about privacy laws and people rights is pathetic. Only criminals or those involved in criminal activity have something to hide!

On the plus side, our internet speeds might improve too if movie, music and game pirates are stopped!

Sure, because the one thing we need more of is a police state mentality. No thanks. Law and order is one thing; insidious, over reaching, semi-fascist initiatives that do not distinguish between legitimate privacy and pirates, etc. are an entirely different matter.

In this instance - and it does not appear to be an isolated incident - it wasn't the general public that's responsible and yet it will be the general public that bears the consequences if your wishes are executed. It literally amounts to the old saying of "one bad apple spoils the rest". That is an indefensible mentality to uphold in a modern court of law in liberal democracies(illeberal democracies, such as Russia, are another matter). I would recommend the publishers and developers find better ways of screening beta testers, even the journalists that receive early copies along with their own members of staff if need be (unpleasant as it may be for the working environment). Then there's the matter of the reliabitility of the retail stores' staff, but again in none of the groups mentioned above is it, nor should it be, the responsibility of the general public to suffer the burden.

Last edited by The_KFD_Case on 7 Aug 09 9:50 am; edited 2 times in total
monty_79

PostPosted: 7 Aug 09 9:47 am Reply with quote

Posted by voodoo341
"Confused a second hand PS3 wouldn't really spite Sony at all."

Yes it does, as they do not have any money from me but the previous owner, whereas if purchased new, they not only receieve money from me, but that is one more sale to boost sales forecasts for them.

True it is just me, but what is an ocean, but a collection of drops?

@Rick Daglas

Ha ha, yeah. I was kind of hopeing the same thing. The Activision Wolf has escaped! Ha ha
The_KFD_Case

PostPosted: 7 Aug 09 10:04 am Reply with quote

DrRickDagless MD wrote:
I was really hoping this story was going to be about some actual wolves that had escaped the Activision Head Office.

Maybe they should get some to keep the workers in line.

These people who do this stuff are the norm it seems. Everytime I come on to these sites there has been a leak of some kind.

Sadley its the same for all other mediums of entertainment. Guess there's not much respect out there for the people and products.

Laughing
The_KFD_Case

PostPosted: 7 Aug 09 10:10 am Reply with quote

monty_79 wrote:
Posted by voodoo341
"Confused a second hand PS3 wouldn't really spite Sony at all."

Yes it does, as they do not have any money from me but the previous owner, whereas if purchased new, they not only receieve money from me, but that is one more sale to boost sales forecasts for them.

True it is just me, but what is an ocean, but a collection of drops?

@Rick Daglas

Ha ha, yeah. I was kind of hopeing the same thing. The Activision Wolf has escaped! Ha ha

Precisely. While Sony has received money from the initial purchase they do not benefit from your cash directly. It is a fine distinction and it can be a slippery slope at times, but there is a difference.

Side note: Fenris? Razz

Last edited by The_KFD_Case on 7 Aug 09 11:05 am; edited 1 time in total
SAeN
Kudos: 28

PostPosted: 7 Aug 09 10:26 am Reply with quote

The pirates have my support in this. I hate piracy, but if it pisses off activision then its all goooooooooood Wink
------
xfire: thievingpigeon
Gamertag: thieving pigeon
Steam: SAeNLESS
WoW: Server: Steamwheedle Cartel- Name: Hedyt
lawless1891

PostPosted: 7 Aug 09 11:51 am Reply with quote

Buying a second hand console doesn't benefit the manufacturer are you certain about that,you not gonna play anything but second hand games on it and never take it online or download any demos then,this isn't meant as a personal attack mate but your statement didn't make any sense to me either.
monty_79

PostPosted: 7 Aug 09 1:19 pm Reply with quote

@ Lawless

Yes. I will be playing pretty much nothing but 2nd hand when I get my pre-owned PS3. There are loads of games on the PS3 now that I want but have been out for a while, so I can purchse them 2nd hand. Also, where PSN is not a pay per use service (except for game downloads and DLC obviously), I honestly think I will be able to purchase the vast majority of games pre-owned, except for a few exceptional curcumstances. It's not that I think Microsoft are angels, and derseve my money as they are 'nice' or anything, but I do have a problem with Sony as a company. They are one of the most ruthless corps around. The only coporations I can think of who are even more ruthless off the top of my head are Disney and Glaxoklein Welcome.

As stated earlier, Microsoft are in a similar bracket to Sony, but on the whole when it comes to the Xbox 360, i think they are genrally getting it right. Also, they did not have a CEO who said that the 360 will install disiplin, and that I have to work extra hours to be able to afford one.

Things like that tend to prey on my stubborn streak, so I am going to do everything I can to play a PS3 and all it's games legally, without Sony getting a penny. Activision have now joined that list (my list also includes Apple, after my ibook G4 broke as a result of a desing fault, and they never sorted it out).

Ha ha, I know I probably come across as a bit of a t**t, but this isn't about fanboyism, it is about companies taking the p**s. Microsoft have yet to spite me personally, neither have Nintendo.
The_KFD_Case

PostPosted: 7 Aug 09 1:40 pm Reply with quote

lawless1891 wrote:
Buying a second hand console doesn't benefit the manufacturer are you certain about that,you not gonna play anything but second hand games on it and never take it online or download any demos then,this isn't meant as a personal attack mate but your statement didn't make any sense to me either.

It makes quite a lot of sense if you examine it a bit further. Say person A bought game X upon release. Person B wants to play the game but won't buy it at release price and/or directly from the publisher. So what does person B do? Pirate it or buy it second hand. This effectively costs the publisher one sale since person B was interested in buying it and if he/she had no other recourse than to buy a new copy and isn't willing to forego the game then the publisher has ensured that a second copy will be bought for person B instead of one copy bought by person A being sold on to person B at no profit to the publisher. The second-hand market only offers the publisher the first sale profits. All subsequent transactions bypass them. That's where the potential for loss arises since some of those second hand sales mights have been first sales had the pricing been lower or if the company in question wasn't in the dog house with person B,C,D,E,F,G, etc.

This is also the likely source of the claim that some companies are intentionally trying to destroy the second-hand market. Whether that is true or not, it's certainly easy to see the financial motive for various companies to try and achieve such a result.
The_KFD_Case

PostPosted: 7 Aug 09 1:44 pm Reply with quote

monty_79 wrote:
@ Lawless

Yes. I will be playing pretty much nothing but 2nd hand when I get my pre-owned PS3. There are loads of games on the PS3 now that I want but have been out for a while, so I can purchse them 2nd hand. Also, where PSN is not a pay per use service (except for game downloads and DLC obviously), I honestly think I will be able to purchase the vast majority of games pre-owned, except for a few exceptional curcumstances. It's not that I think Microsoft are angels, and derseve my money as they are 'nice' or anything, but I do have a problem with Sony as a company. They are one of the most ruthless corps around. The only coporations I can think of who are even more ruthless off the top of my head are Disney and Glaxoklein Welcome.

As stated earlier, Microsoft are in a similar bracket to Sony, but on the whole when it comes to the Xbox 360, i think they are genrally getting it right. Also, they did not have a CEO who said that the 360 will install disiplin, and that I have to work extra hours to be able to afford one.

Things like that tend to prey on my stubborn streak, so I am going to do everything I can to play a PS3 and all it's games legally, without Sony getting a penny. Activision have now joined that list (my list also includes Apple, after my ibook G4 broke as a result of a desing fault, and they never sorted it out).

Ha ha, I know I probably come across as a bit of a t**t, but this isn't about fanboyism, it is about companies taking the p**s. Microsoft have yet to spite me personally, neither have Nintendo.

You and I seem to be coming from the same place on matters such as this, and even regarding the same companies. The notable exception being that I have no intention of buying a PS3 even if it's second-hand kit. Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Article Comments All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: