Login to access exclusive gaming content, win competition prizes
and post on our forums. Don't have an account? Create one now!
Why should you join?
Click here for full benefits!
Follow our Twitter feed200 extra beta keys for Champions Online here: http://bit.ly/100Osx
SIGN IN/JOIN UP
GamesForumsCheatsVideo
New Bleach shots | Champions Online pricing revealed | Champ Man 2010 dated | High Voltage "interested" in Conduit 2 | MS explains full 360 summer update | Call of Duty: Modern Warfare confirmed for Wii | Wii makes most money for EA | Box art special: Lampard and Walcott join Rooney | Halo 3: ODST gameplay footage | Crytek threatens to leave Germany | New Champions Online video | New Serious Sam HD shots | Gran Turismo PSP gets the Lambo | Aliens Vs Predator out February | Modern Warfare 1 for Wii? | Sony pulls new Wipeout HD in-game ad | Monster-mashing Spectrobes: Origins trailer | New Raven Squad trailer | New Left 4 Dead 1 DLC coming | Kingdom Hearts 358/2 due Oct. | TMNT: Turtles in Time launch trailer | PS3 Slim/price drop rumour round-up | Wacky World Of Sports - new shots | Call of Duty gets free iPhone app | More Monkey Ball Step & Roll shots
All|PC|PlayStation|Xbox|Nintendo|Download PC Games
Search CVG
Computer And Video Games - The latest gaming news, reviews, previews & movies
PS3 installed base doubles
Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic - View next topic  
StonecoldMC
Kudos: 38

PostPosted: 3 Aug 09 4:46 pm Reply with quote

I know its been a long day (for me anyway) but I dont understand that Title Confused .

They have doubled from when, is it since the initial launch or something else?

I have a sneaky feeling that this thread wont turn nasty, infact we are about to read some rather interesting takes on the fiscal numbers for both MS and Sony, from a neutral and unbiased standpoint. This should be quite refreshing Laughing .
Mark240473
Kudos: 36

PostPosted: 3 Aug 09 4:53 pm Reply with quote

I honestly thought that the price drop for the 360 would have had a bigger effect than it has. However, it has sold 5 million more than the original xbox, which is great - especially since the 360 is still going strong.

However, I think it is impressive that the PS3 has sold so many at such a higher price than the competition.

The fabled price drop should cause quite a stir....

No excuse for you though, CVG. This news is just rehashed flamebait.

I'm out of here!.... Laughing
pp82
Kudos: 19

PostPosted: 3 Aug 09 5:06 pm Reply with quote

Of course it is they just want to get as much traffic as they can by posting meaningless stories
I wish they would upgrade their servers that's why everyone all ways post duplicate reply's you click submit then nothing so you press again and again.
flash501
Kudos: 31

PostPosted: 3 Aug 09 5:12 pm Reply with quote

I must say I'm surprised the ps3 is only around 7 million units behind the 360, I was expecting a far bigger gap to be honest. Impressive numbers for the wii though, it's sold as much as its two competitors combined.
svd_grasshopper
Kudos: 32

PostPosted: 3 Aug 09 5:25 pm Reply with quote

doubled since they last sold half that. Confused

its as if they are talking from last year.

anyway with the ps3 slim and/or a price cut, uncharted 2 and gran turismo on the horizon, they should see their most significant peak in sales yet.
lordirongut
Kudos: 19

PostPosted: 3 Aug 09 5:58 pm Reply with quote

I don't really know how to put this any other way but the PS3 is the system that people aspire to, since it has the biggest price tag. If they would have gone middleware, then they would have had no selling point since people would have either gone for the cheapest (Xbox 360) or the most innovative (Wii). Sony's entire strategy probably hinges on the system being the most expensive and most powerful, which is the way it gets noticed. It advertises itself, in a way.

Or, again, am I talking out of my rear-end?
wildhook2

PostPosted: 3 Aug 09 6:42 pm Reply with quote

Only 7 millions behind? To be honest I don't find it very impressive.

Xbox 360 had 1 year extra and it is the cheapest console.
Last Ninja
Kudos: 5

PostPosted: 3 Aug 09 6:43 pm Reply with quote

this is all because shenmue 3 is coming to playstation 3 units are selling out all over the world in wait for the greatest game of all time
KMakawa
Kudos: 22

PostPosted: 3 Aug 09 6:46 pm Reply with quote

Is it just me or does anyone else feel completely baffled by this article?
Diomedes1977
Kudos: 25

PostPosted: 3 Aug 09 6:47 pm Reply with quote

Mmm ,in fact its 23.8 million sold to customers not 22.7.It was 22.7 before the last 1.1 million reported.
voodoo341
Kudos: 38

PostPosted: 3 Aug 09 7:15 pm Reply with quote

There's one important factor to remember when comparing this years Q1's against last years Q1 for the PS3 and that's MGS 4. While MGS4 wouldn't account for the 18% difference on its own it did shift PS3's last year, especially in Japan.
Dewin
Kudos: 20

PostPosted: 3 Aug 09 8:27 pm Reply with quote

With Uncharted 2, God of war 3, new Ratchet, Gran Tourismo, Heavy Rain and not to mention Shenmue and FF in Japan.... Sony will sell units pretty from now till 2nd quarter 2010. I can only imagine what a pricecut would do for sales if a pricecut was made in this timeframe.
pherik
Kudos: 25

PostPosted: 3 Aug 09 8:43 pm Reply with quote

Shenmue 3??

Did I miss something, when did this get announced?
svd_grasshopper

PostPosted: 3 Aug 09 8:44 pm Reply with quote

whats this shenmue on ps3?!
ricflair

PostPosted: 3 Aug 09 8:45 pm Reply with quote

Decent stuff all round really, the PS3's selling at it's higher price point and the 360 has eaten away at some of Sony's dominance after they ran the last two gens.

Although the article and title don't really make much sense. According to Edge (didn't agree with their review of WSR but what the hell!) it's since 'Summer 2008'.
eddiehitler
Kudos: 30

PostPosted: 3 Aug 09 9:27 pm Reply with quote

the difference between the PS3 and the 360 is Japan where the 360 is performing pretty weakly and mainland europe which is traditionally Sony's stronghold.

I think by the end of the generation they'll be evenly matched unless Sony's wand thing or Natal swings the battle in one companys direction and allows them to start catching up with ninty.
Black Mantis

PostPosted: 3 Aug 09 9:51 pm Reply with quote

Last Ninja wrote:
this is all because shenmue 3 is coming to playstation 3 units are selling out all over the world in wait for the greatest game of all time

Now look what you've done! Stop spreading BS! Cool
Last Ninja
Kudos: 5

PostPosted: 3 Aug 09 10:09 pm Reply with quote

yu suzuki said as much on his jap twitter page my wife is japanese she told me wat it said its defo happening spread the word
WingForward
Kudos: 15

PostPosted: 4 Aug 09 12:35 am Reply with quote

I think part of it is people are buying multiple consoles more than they used to. More adults are buying consoles than before and being adults they have jobs and can afford to. I remember last gen most of the people I knew that played games were teens now it's everyone, because they appeal to a larger audience now and of course those teens grew up. I have both as do about half of my gaming friends. The game industry is increasing drastically each year, I don't think anyone has to worry about their favorite brand going under anytime soon despite the recession.
sweatyBallacks?
Kudos: 23

PostPosted: 4 Aug 09 12:36 am Reply with quote

Oh wow. This is quite a friendly thread of posts.

No angry and aggressive types here. Makes a change from the weekend.

Now...if Suzuki is bringing a Shenmue epic blu ray extravaganza to PS3, the console will officially become the best console ever made.
360_Fan
Kudos: 23

PostPosted: 4 Aug 09 2:46 am Reply with quote

sweatyBallacks? wrote:
Oh wow. This is quite a friendly thread of posts.

No angry and aggressive types here. Makes a change from the weekend.

Now...if Suzuki is bringing a Shenmue epic blu ray extravaganza to PS3, the console will officially become the best console ever made.

Now that is the most desperate comment I have ever heard, given the source. Everyone on this site bags cvg all the time and then they believe this ass clown about shenmue.
Dewin
Kudos: 20

PostPosted: 4 Aug 09 8:09 am Reply with quote

Hehe ok ok i'll admit, that Shenmue was wishful thinking on my part Wink
WHERESMYMONKEY

PostPosted: 4 Aug 09 8:30 am Reply with quote

Some one says Yu suzuki has said he's making Shen mue 3. Then you want to believe it. Deep down you know its probably crap but you wish just for once it wasn't.

Back on topic. I was a bit baffled by the article too. I think Sony might end up on an even footing with MS by the end of this gen, because it looks like its going to be the longest one ever. When we finally get the exclusives people wanted from launch (GOW3 and GT5) sales should pick up further.
roxcolin
Kudos: 7

PostPosted: 4 Aug 09 9:49 am Reply with quote

have i missed something?????? shenmue 3, if this happens then the ps3 will sell loads more, the fan base for shenmue is huge, me included!!!! imagine shenmue on a blu ray disc, wow, now im excited, and im 37 lol Laughing
roxcolin
Kudos: 7

PostPosted: 4 Aug 09 9:50 am Reply with quote

have i missed something?????? shenmue 3, if this happens then the ps3 will sell loads more, the fan base for shenmue is huge, me included!!!! imagine shenmue on a blu ray disc, wow, now im excited, and im 37 lol Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Article Comments All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: