Login to access exclusive gaming content, win competition prizes
and post on our forums. Don't have an account? Create one now!
Why should you join?
Click here for full benefits!
Follow our Twitter feed400 Champions Online beta keys going going... http://bit.ly/100Osx
SIGN IN/JOIN UP
GamesForumsCheatsVideo
Mass Effect 2: See the box art | Need for Speed: Shift video | Wet dated for September | Guitar Hero Avatar edition - video | MS: "Gearbox NOT working on Halo" | Monkey Island, Drift Mania on WiiWare | New Resonance of Fate screens | Dark Void slips to 2010 | New Colin McRae: Dirt 2 footage | PS3 production costs down 70 percent | F.E.A.R 2 DLC coming August | Final Fantasy VII countdown emerges | Home gets Fat Princess mini game | New Vandal Hearts shots | AVP sequel to include motion control? | DSi gets Facebook app | Carmack: Rage runs faster on Xbox 360 | New Blur video | PSN Store deploy: Fat Princess | MAG Beta is "internal only" | Masses of Halo: ODST footage | New Uncharted 2 screens | Telltale: "iPhone much more powerful than Wii" | World At War Map Pack movie | MS: 'Next-gen will be new software, not hardware'
All|PC|PlayStation|Xbox|Nintendo|Download PC Games
Search CVG
Computer And Video Games - The latest gaming news, reviews, previews & movies
Monkey Island, Drift Mania on WiiWare
View previous topic - View next topic  
stonecold77
Kudos: 24

PostPosted: 31 Jul 09 2:05 pm Reply with quote

I got the monkey island special edition it looks good and brings back a lot of memories from 1990.
leefear1
Kudos: 32

PostPosted: 31 Jul 09 2:11 pm Reply with quote

stonecold77 wrote:
I got the monkey island special edition it looks good and brings back a lot of memories from 1990.

Well when you cross the two coolest things on planet earth, namely monkeys and pirates, the outcome can only be good.
chainsawgerbil
Kudos: 24

PostPosted: 31 Jul 09 2:27 pm Reply with quote

theres no ninjapiraterobotzombie in it tho so it loses points Rolling Eyes

gos to show that as far as point and click go's you don't need over the top production values, keep making them good and keep churning them out i say
milky_joe

PostPosted: 31 Jul 09 2:44 pm Reply with quote

1000 points... yikes... that works out at £45 for the five chapters based on the £17.99 price of a 2000 points card on Amazon...
leefear1

PostPosted: 31 Jul 09 3:14 pm Reply with quote

milky_joe wrote:
1000 points... yikes... that works out at £45 for the five chapters based on the £17.99 price of a 2000 points card on Amazon...

I thought that 3000 point cost £21?
vamos
Kudos: 10

PostPosted: 31 Jul 09 3:28 pm Reply with quote

I really want to purchase Monkey Island but the cost for all 5 parts is scandalous.
leefear1

PostPosted: 31 Jul 09 3:40 pm Reply with quote

vamos wrote:
I really want to purchase Monkey Island but the cost for all 5 parts is scandalous.

but £35 is less than a normal game...
YCshinobi
Kudos: 35

PostPosted: 31 Jul 09 3:44 pm Reply with quote

leefear1 wrote:
milky_joe wrote:

It is, Amazon must be ripping people off, because 1000 points is just £7, so 2000 should be no more than £14, not £18.
Aliens: Colonial Marines
Bioshock 2
Mass Effect 2
Modern Warfare 2
Wii
Metroid: Other M
Tatsunoko vs Capcom
Monster Hunter 3
No More Heroes 2
Red Steel 2
JuiKuen
Kudos: 26

PostPosted: 31 Jul 09 3:56 pm Reply with quote

I used to play The Secret of Monkey Island round at my friend's back in the day. He had the Amiga version and I remember it being really good.

This seems a little pricey for me right now though for all the chapters. Maybe one day though...
swiss999
Kudos: 21

PostPosted: 31 Jul 09 3:59 pm Reply with quote

Even though I fail to see how £35 for a game is scandalous, just download the PC version if you really feel that way. It's $35, so just over twenty quid.
milky_joe

PostPosted: 31 Jul 09 4:01 pm Reply with quote

YCshinobi wrote:
leefear1 wrote:
milky_joe wrote:

It is, Amazon must be ripping people off, because 1000 points is just £7, so 2000 should be no more than £14, not £18.

Amazon:

1000 - £14.99
2000 - £17.99
3000 - £29.99

Play:

Same, except 1000 is £11.99

Game:

Can only find 2000 for £19.99
leefear1

PostPosted: 31 Jul 09 4:21 pm Reply with quote

milky_joe wrote:
YCshinobi wrote:
leefear1 wrote:
milky_joe wrote:

Amazon:

1000 - £14.99
2000 - £17.99
3000 - £29.99

Play:

Same, except 1000 is £11.99

Game:

Can only find 2000 for £19.99

Well I think this teaches us that buying the points cards is expensive. The points cost £7 per 1000 points in the wii shop.
YCshinobi
Kudos: 35

PostPosted: 31 Jul 09 4:24 pm Reply with quote

Well maybe nintendo has up their prices for points over the last few weeks, i use a credit card to buy VC and wiiware titles, and the last one i bought (which wasn't that long ago) was 1000 points and it took exactly £7 off my credit card. So paying anything more is a rip-off.
Aliens: Colonial Marines
Bioshock 2
Mass Effect 2
Modern Warfare 2
Wii
Metroid: Other M
Tatsunoko vs Capcom
Monster Hunter 3
No More Heroes 2
Red Steel 2
milky_joe

PostPosted: 31 Jul 09 4:29 pm Reply with quote

YCshinobi wrote:
Well maybe nintendo has up their prices for points over the last few weeks, i use a credit card to buy VC and wiiware titles, and the last one i bought (which wasn't that long ago) was 1000 points and it took exactly £7 off my credit card. So paying anything more is a rip-off.

Last time I looked you could only use Visa or Mastercard to purchase points on there, and as I choose to stick with debit cards, that rules that option out.

Why Nintendo don't allow the use of debit cards is beyond me, especially when I discovered you can use them on PSN.
leefear1

PostPosted: 31 Jul 09 4:39 pm Reply with quote

milky_joe wrote:
YCshinobi wrote:

Last time I looked you could only use Visa or Mastercard to purchase points on there, and as I choose to stick with debit cards, that rules that option out.

Why Nintendo don't allow the use of debit cards is beyond me, especially when I discovered you can use them on PSN.

I use my Visa debit card all the time to purchase points from the wii shop. I am pretty sure the maestro (mastercards debit card) also works fine.
slatters
Kudos: 22

PostPosted: 31 Jul 09 4:49 pm Reply with quote

Just a heads up, WHSmith have been selling off wiipoints. In my local store(which is reasonably small) you can get 2000 for £9!!

Can't say this'll be the same the country over but may be worth a look even though smiths wouldn't be my first choice to shop for games!

Very Happy
Angelic Lapras K
Kudos: 28

PostPosted: 31 Jul 09 9:37 pm Reply with quote

You can get points much much cheaper if you buy em off your Wii.
paullwar
Kudos: 30

PostPosted: 1 Aug 09 12:27 pm Reply with quote

I don't think its pricey at all, quite a good buy in fact. If it were to come out in retail on one dvd, you would pay £35 for it. If you didn't like it, your left with either it collecting dust, some poor trade in price, or an ebay disaster waiting to happen. At least with buying this in chapters, if you don't like it, then you don't need to buy the rest.

I know this argument can come down to-'well thats what demos are for' and i agree, but demos also dont give enough longetivity to make an informed decision.

In anycase, if you like point and click affairs, then you could do a whole lot worse than anything with the monkey island stamp. It is thanks to this one series alone, that brought comedy, superb visuals and brilliant music in to the point and click genre and ultimately the series that catapulted point and clicks in to there own sub category of adventure games.

Without monkey island, I wonder if many other titles would have been born, simon the sorcerer for example borrowed many elements. Titles like broken sword, whilst dropping the comedy in favour of well narrated and serious storyline, might also have never seen light of day, without the popularity Monkey Island.

I do own the original Amiga Monkey Island 1 & 2 games, I will be picking up the enhanced version for either the 360 or ps3 (have decided which yet, though not on PSN at the moment), but certainly will be buying this on the wii, being a whole new series.

Superb stuff all round.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Article Comments All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: