Login to access exclusive gaming content, win competition prizes
and post on our forums. Don't have an account? Create one now!
Why should you join?
Click here for full benefits!
Follow our Twitter feed400 Champions Online beta keys going going... http://bit.ly/100Osx
SIGN IN/JOIN UP
GamesForumsCheatsVideo
Mass Effect 2: See the box art | Need for Speed: Shift video | Wet dated for September | Guitar Hero Avatar edition - video | MS: "Gearbox NOT working on Halo" | Monkey Island, Drift Mania on WiiWare | New Resonance of Fate screens | Dark Void slips to 2010 | New Colin McRae: Dirt 2 footage | PS3 production costs down 70 percent | F.E.A.R 2 DLC coming August | Final Fantasy VII countdown emerges | Home gets Fat Princess mini game | New Vandal Hearts shots | AVP sequel to include motion control? | DSi gets Facebook app | Carmack: Rage runs faster on Xbox 360 | New Blur video | PSN Store deploy: Fat Princess | MAG Beta is "internal only" | Masses of Halo: ODST footage | New Uncharted 2 screens | Telltale: "iPhone much more powerful than Wii" | World At War Map Pack movie | MS: 'Next-gen will be new software, not hardware'
All|PC|PlayStation|Xbox|Nintendo|Download PC Games
Search CVG
Computer And Video Games - The latest gaming news, reviews, previews & movies
MS: 'Next-gen will be new software, not hardware'
Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic - View next topic  
chimpchilla
Kudos: 21

PostPosted: 30 Jul 09 2:08 pm Reply with quote

That is until someone else releases hardware that is more powerful than yours....
Mark240473
Kudos: 36

PostPosted: 30 Jul 09 2:12 pm Reply with quote

Or in other words:

'I'm buggered if I am going to cough up billions for dodgy hardware again.' Laughing

Seriously though, it is the right way to go, though not very exciting for us tech lovers out there.

Natal seems to be the first rung on the ladder.
pherik
Kudos: 25

PostPosted: 30 Jul 09 2:15 pm Reply with quote

Amen to that...

So long as Sony and Nintendo are thinking along the same lines and build on their existing console then it should be good for all of us.
Though would have to admit that the Wii does seem a little limited in how much they can build on what they have compared to MS and Sony (primarily due to the lack of HDD storage)
ricflair
Kudos: 32

PostPosted: 30 Jul 09 2:18 pm Reply with quote

It's like Nintendo in 2005/6 all over again.

Graphics whore are going to be miffed.
bennyboi1979
Kudos: 20

PostPosted: 30 Jul 09 2:24 pm Reply with quote

Well its a good job your console is about as future proof as HD DVD then......????? what planet is this person on?????
WHERESMYMONKEY
Kudos: 31

PostPosted: 30 Jul 09 2:26 pm Reply with quote

so 32gb off an SD card isn't enough storage for the wii. especially considering the biggest wiiware games are 40mb.

pull the other one.

Or you could always run the USB loader and dump all of your games to a HDD and never have to use a disc again.

The one thats really got potential HDD issues in its future is the 360 as with all the new features being promised, especially 1080p movies, games on demand the ever increasing size arcade of i could see even the elite struggling eventually.
ricflair

PostPosted: 30 Jul 09 2:33 pm Reply with quote

Actually scrap that!

Last edited by ricflair on 30 Jul 09 2:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
wildhook2
Kudos: 31

PostPosted: 30 Jul 09 2:37 pm Reply with quote

Add blu ray drive to Xbox 360 then you'll be fine for years and years, MS.
AJB123644
Kudos: 27

PostPosted: 30 Jul 09 2:39 pm Reply with quote

Hold on then guys. This is coming from a company who are about to release a supposedly gaming revolution in oh what's that? Hardware! WTF Microsoft if software is so important why release Natal after all surely you could create a better experience without the hardware?

Anyone else slightly confused by their remarks?

Also did they not say this a while back? Pretty sure they did and if I remember correctly I remember saying that as much as software is a good thing the hardware is what it runs on and software will always be limited by what is inside in the box...
Together we are strong and United we will stand. As PC Gamers come together United we shall be Victorious!
steven_h1
Kudos: 29

PostPosted: 30 Jul 09 2:39 pm Reply with quote

Quote:
The 'next generation' will be defined by software and services, not hardware," he said.

So Natal is a software upgrade is it. So the camera and box of electronics is a unique form of software then.

It seems to me that both the PS3 & Xbox 360 struggle to even do 720p properly at times so there's certainly room for improvement in the hardware department.
leefear1

PostPosted: 30 Jul 09 2:40 pm Reply with quote

pherik wrote:
Amen to that...

So long as Sony and Nintendo are thinking along the same lines and build on their existing console then it should be good for all of us.
Though would have to admit that the Wii does seem a little limited in how much they can build on what they have compared to MS and Sony (primarily due to the lack of HDD storage)

The Wii has the option of using up to 32Gb sd cards which is plenty enough storage especially when you can use multiple cards.

It is rumoured that the next Nintendo console will be upping the power quite a bit and that sony are going to simply release a wii style power upgrade for the PS4.

To be honest I don't care as long as we get great games. They can stop developing new consoles for all I care, games are king and if they can continue producing good original games for this generations consoles then I will be perfectly happy.
juniorbeep
Kudos: 22

PostPosted: 30 Jul 09 2:50 pm Reply with quote

sounds to me like they will be releasing new hardware first as suspected. Other two will be a bit later meaning their hardware will prob be a little more powerful... so to counteract this issue MS dress up next gen as "all about services etc". Not bad thinking but why can't you have both?
KMakawa

PostPosted: 30 Jul 09 3:38 pm Reply with quote

Unless Graphic Cards, Processors and all that stuff, make a huge jump in the next 3 years, it really is all about software.

Beyond Good & Evil 2, and Alan Wake, and Uncharted and all these games really do show a glimpse of what next-gen will be like. Its all about waiting for those big jumps by the companys that make the stuff, until then all the companys will still expand onto the console bases.

I honestly think the Wii is coming to the end though, there is only so much you can do, and they are nearing it. to be honest.
svd_grasshopper

PostPosted: 30 Jul 09 3:41 pm Reply with quote

inkeeping with the 360 philosophy then... Surprised

old hat DVD drives.

toshiba, microsofts HD-DVD drive partner just made a BR drive (the last company to do so - swallow that bitter pill) so a 360 BR drive could be on the cards... there was a rumour of it printed on N4G.
KMakawa

PostPosted: 30 Jul 09 3:48 pm Reply with quote

And here we go again, Grasshopper the first to turn this into a fanboy-war, ..You really need to grow up sometime, It really is saddening to see all the bait your throw out mate.
StonecoldMC
Kudos: 38

PostPosted: 30 Jul 09 3:49 pm Reply with quote

svd_grasshopper wrote:
inkeeping with the 360 philosophy then... Surprised

old hat DVD drives.

toshiba, microsofts HD-DVD drive partner just made a BR drive (the last company to do so - swallow that bitter pill) so a 360 BR drive could be on the cards... there was a rumour of it printed on N4G.

And there is a picture of Elvis doing the moonwalk on Mars. Come on grasshopper, N4G? If people think this place is bad, sheeesh.
Jensonjet
Kudos: 21

PostPosted: 30 Jul 09 4:04 pm Reply with quote

I have to say Shane Kim is an absolute marketing dick! Can you imagine him saying this just prior to a new Xbox coming out? What a pathetic marketing worm this guy is. And how insulting to EVERY gamers intelligence that he thinks we believe this crap. If we weren't in a recession, and Microsoft hadn't lost so much money desperately pushing out an unfinished, completely untested 360 just to be ahead of the Playstation, and more importantly Sony weren't so far from producing a new console themselves, he wouldn't be saying any of this rubbish.

I imagine every single gamer, regardless of age is aware that if Sony were to announce a new console Microsoft would take less than a week to announce their next console and talk of the next generation being software wouldn't be heard of again.

In an era when thousands of people are losing their jobs, and businesses and industries are struggling to survive, it amazes me people like Shane Kim. If Microsoft want to offset the loss of fixing a few hundred 360s, they could do no worse than to show Mr Kim the back door! The more Microsoft market Natal, the more convinced I am that it will fail. They utterly failed to do anything new/exciting/worthwhile with that little camera of theirs years ago, and I can imagine history repeating itself with this Natal thing.

If Natal is priced at �10 and could switch off my Xbox whenever I stick my middle finger up at it I might consider purchasing said 'hardware'... second hand!
petpiranha
Kudos: 17

PostPosted: 30 Jul 09 4:09 pm Reply with quote

Nvidia GTX 300 series. Nuff said.
svd_grasshopper

PostPosted: 30 Jul 09 4:11 pm Reply with quote

N4G is just a site linking all the news about games up. hence news for gamers.

it wasnt its own story. i dont even think they run their own stories...
leefear1

PostPosted: 30 Jul 09 4:11 pm Reply with quote

Jensonjet wrote:
If Natal is priced at �10 and could switch off my Xbox whenever I stick my middle finger up at it I might consider purchasing said 'hardware'... second hand!

So even if the greatest game ever made came out for Natal you would not want to get it?

Lets face it is looks a little bit odd to control etc but we have not seen what it can really do yet so should reserve judgment.
Black Mantis

PostPosted: 30 Jul 09 4:40 pm Reply with quote

svd_grasshopper wrote:

I read that article. It was just some random persons thoughts, so I wouldn't even call it a rumour.
StonecoldMC
Kudos: 38

PostPosted: 30 Jul 09 4:47 pm Reply with quote

svd_grasshopper wrote:

Ive been on N4G a few times and to me it's just Blogs being reported as news stories, I wouldnt listen or believe any of the 'stories' that appear there.

CVG might be slow with their news but at least it pretty accurate and not full of Yanks!
shellster2
Kudos: 36

PostPosted: 30 Jul 09 4:49 pm Reply with quote

there's a massive room for improvement. games ought to run in 1080p, dedicated physics chips, more storage, graphical leap, way more ram etc.

i hope we don't have to wait another 5 years to see the next round of consoles.
Sleepaphobic
Kudos: 19

PostPosted: 30 Jul 09 4:52 pm Reply with quote

i wonder if many people will be praising this or smthg and these are the same people who have been laughing at sony's 10 year thing.

either way its a stupid idea. consoles are already way behind and they will risk being left in the stone age if they decide to do this.
Sleepaphobic
Kudos: 19

PostPosted: 30 Jul 09 5:07 pm Reply with quote

KMakawa wrote:
Unless Graphic Cards, Processors and all that stuff, make a huge jump in the next 3 years, it really is all about software.

octo-core processors from intel, and nvidias 300 lineup.
they will smoke everything thts out now.
was hearing a 40-50% increase in gpu power somewhere a month or so back.
and thats all prob under a years time!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Article Comments All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: