Login to access exclusive gaming content, win competition prizes
and post on our forums. Don't have an account? Create one now!
Why should you join?
Click here for full benefits!
Follow our Twitter feed400 Champions Online beta keys going going... http://bit.ly/100Osx
SIGN IN/JOIN UP
GamesForumsCheatsVideo
Mass Effect 2: See the box art | Need for Speed: Shift video | Wet dated for September | Guitar Hero Avatar edition - video | MS: "Gearbox NOT working on Halo" | Monkey Island, Drift Mania on WiiWare | New Resonance of Fate screens | Dark Void slips to 2010 | New Colin McRae: Dirt 2 footage | PS3 production costs down 70 percent | F.E.A.R 2 DLC coming August | Final Fantasy VII countdown emerges | Home gets Fat Princess mini game | New Vandal Hearts shots | AVP sequel to include motion control? | DSi gets Facebook app | Carmack: Rage runs faster on Xbox 360 | New Blur video | PSN Store deploy: Fat Princess | MAG Beta is "internal only" | Masses of Halo: ODST footage | New Uncharted 2 screens | Telltale: "iPhone much more powerful than Wii" | World At War Map Pack movie | MS: 'Next-gen will be new software, not hardware'
All|PC|PlayStation|Xbox|Nintendo|Download PC Games
Search CVG
Computer And Video Games - The latest gaming news, reviews, previews & movies
PS3 production costs down 70 percent
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic - View next topic  
flash501
Kudos: 31

PostPosted: 31 Jul 09 11:31 am Reply with quote

That makes their huge losses from Q1 of the year look even worse.
lordirongut
Kudos: 18

PostPosted: 31 Jul 09 11:33 am Reply with quote

Cue SVD_Grasshopper and KingWiiBoy...
This should be an amusing afternoon.
Mark240473
Kudos: 36

PostPosted: 31 Jul 09 11:34 am Reply with quote

No doubts about a Christmas price drop now.

70% is very impressive.

That means Sony could potentially drop the price to £199.99 or cheaper.

Awesome news, especially after seeing their recent losses.
bunneyo
Kudos: 24

PostPosted: 31 Jul 09 11:36 am Reply with quote

if this means a price drop is coming, awesome! il buy another 3 lol Cool
Last Ninja
Kudos: 3

PostPosted: 31 Jul 09 11:38 am Reply with quote

Ive heard Shenmue 3 is a shock xmas release only on ps3 its on some crazy jap site thank the world
lawless1891

PostPosted: 31 Jul 09 11:42 am Reply with quote

Gets you wondering just how much cheaper the PSP GO is to manufacture compared to the old 3000?
Samildanach

PostPosted: 31 Jul 09 11:42 am Reply with quote

Even if they did drop the price, people would still complain.
svd_grasshopper
Kudos: 32

PostPosted: 31 Jul 09 11:51 am Reply with quote

lordirongut wrote:
Cue SVD_Grasshopper and KingWiiBoy...
This should be an amusing afternoon.

wanker. stop name dropping cause noone recognizes you.
lordirongut

PostPosted: 31 Jul 09 12:13 pm Reply with quote

>
You've done it to yourself, mate. I mean, how the hell do you start an argument over the colour of a controller?
WHERESMYMONKEY

PostPosted: 31 Jul 09 12:14 pm Reply with quote

ah there we go right on que. Speak the devils name and he shall come. and they call this demi god of general ignorance, illiteracy, servere venerial disease and plain obnoxiousness.

the grasshopper.

ahem back on subject. It does make sony seem to be taking the p**s a little by not cutting the price they currently have the machine at a 55ish percent markup.

makes you wonder if the 360 still sells for a profit or not.
ricflair

PostPosted: 31 Jul 09 12:19 pm Reply with quote

Why quote dollar prices? Sony are Japanese - it's all about the yen!! Exchange rates have changed massivly in the 2.5 years since release - 116 yen to the dollar in Dec 06 compared to 95 now.

$800 on release was 92,800yen; drop that by 70% = 27,840yen. Which is now £175 ($293). Adding VAT to end users, and you're already over £200 without any retailer profit (though margins are pretty small) and other costs (shipping etc).

If Sony don't want to sell at a loss, £200 in the UK still looks unlikely going by these 'figures', if this $800 figure is even accurate. At least the pound has bounced back a bit recently, but we're still at the mercy of the exchange rates.
bunneyo
Kudos: 24

PostPosted: 31 Jul 09 12:20 pm Reply with quote

WHERESMYMONKEY wrote:
ah there we go right on que. Speak the devils name and he shall come. and they call this demi god of general ignorance, illiteracy, servere venerial disease and plain obnoxiousness.

the grasshopper.

wara lagend lol!
svd_grasshopper

PostPosted: 31 Jul 09 12:28 pm Reply with quote

seriously, what a bunch of gimps.

the kind of people who got bullied at school, but come out into their own on a forum. technology - isnt it great.
The_KFD_Case

PostPosted: 31 Jul 09 12:38 pm Reply with quote

Mark240473 wrote:
No doubts about a Christmas price drop now.

70% is very impressive.

That means Sony could potentially drop the price to £199.99 or cheaper.

Awesome news, especially after seeing their recent losses.

Agreed, and a significant price drop can't come soon enough if Sony hopes to regain lost ground in the market.
The_KFD_Case

PostPosted: 31 Jul 09 12:41 pm Reply with quote

svd_grasshopper wrote:
seriously, what a bunch of gimps.

the kind of people who got bullied at school, but come out into their own on a forum. technology - isnt it great.

And yet you haven't even commented on the actual topic of this article yet despite at least two posts. Rolling Eyes
Whitby
Kudos: 27

PostPosted: 31 Jul 09 12:42 pm Reply with quote

svd_grasshopper wrote:

I've said this before but - oh the irony!

You're the best example of an internet 'ard man. All you do is crap on people opinions and swear in bold, when in real life you will just be a small desperate, lonely and paranoid little boy. Now get to f**k back to eurogamer.
Click Here
svd_grasshopper

PostPosted: 31 Jul 09 12:46 pm Reply with quote

WHO CARES! this s**t has been covered 10 times before. your all speculating like that prick michael panchter.

get over yourselves.

sad c**ts, the xbox live generation. scared to step out the door. you use a microphone instead of a mobile phone.
freaky_seb
Kudos: 22

PostPosted: 31 Jul 09 12:51 pm Reply with quote

ricflair wrote:
Why quote dollar prices?

Because the global economy works in us$, hence why we get screwed over for tech prices in this country.

This is good news thought, hopefully a price cut should be around xmas time, I seriously would like to own all 3 consoles.

Oh and off topic - Don't feed the trolls!
KMakawa

PostPosted: 31 Jul 09 12:56 pm Reply with quote

michael pachter*
lordirongut

PostPosted: 31 Jul 09 12:59 pm Reply with quote

I believe that Monkey is a Wii enthusiast and I myself do not pay for for Xbox Live and use PSN to go online with. You are again using the Xbox 360 as an insult. Typical Grasshopper, using unfounded insults (if you can even call them insults) on people he knows nothing about.

Hopefully if a price cut does come as a result of this, it won't attract more people like HIM to the PSN.
pishers
Kudos: 29

PostPosted: 31 Jul 09 1:01 pm Reply with quote

maybe some of this drop in costs is due to the slim ps3 which is why the exisitng unit is priced as it is. i dont know but perhaps they have a chance to reduce the prices from here on in, i dont think they are taking the mickey with their pricing as the price reflects a design decision.
Conkers
Kudos: 27

PostPosted: 31 Jul 09 1:02 pm Reply with quote

I’m not actually sure what people expect when they continuously mention Grasshopper’s name prior to his arrival in a thread, of course he’s going to go into overload immediately. It is getting rather tiresome, and becoming just as bad as his little rants. At least let himself get worked into a tizzy all by himself first!

All you’re doing is raising notoriety, do you wish him exalted onto a plateau here and other sites? No? Then leave it be.
FiltyMonkey

PostPosted: 31 Jul 09 1:22 pm Reply with quote

svd_grasshopper wrote:
WHO CARES! this s**t has been covered 10 times before. your all speculating like that prick michael panchter.

get over yourselves.

sad c**ts, the xbox live generation. scared to step out the door. you use a microphone instead of a mobile phone.

He he, you're just jealous that our microphones work properly and when playing different games. And I know the correct useage of the words YOUR and YOU'RE.

Plus I'll fight you anyday.
shellster2
Kudos: 36

PostPosted: 31 Jul 09 1:24 pm Reply with quote

i for one hope they do drop the price to tempt me to buy one.

on a different note i was just having a look over at play.com and saw this at number 1 in the ps3 chart Click Here

Laughing

i agree with conkers. cut SVD a bit of slack, he's quite capable of hanging himself.
ricflair

PostPosted: 31 Jul 09 1:24 pm Reply with quote

freaky_seb wrote:
ricflair wrote:
Why quote dollar prices?

Because the global economy works in us$, hence why we get screwed over for tech prices in this country.

This is good news thought, hopefully a price cut should be around xmas time, I seriously would like to own all 3 consoles.

Oh and off topic - Don't feed the trolls!

I know that, but its made by a japanese company, R&D mainly in japan and built in the region. So the cost in dollars (or any other local currency) is only relative to the exchange rate at the time. I'm pretty sure that when Sony look at their costs, they'll be thinking yen.

Everyone has been screwed over to some degree, and it's mainly the strength of the yen. Thats why Nintendo were going to up the trade price of a wii in Europe.

And yeah, this baiting of people before they even post is just as bad as the baitee starting the argument. If anything it's worse because there are even more posts!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Article Comments All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: