Login to access exclusive gaming content, win competition prizes
and post on our forums. Don't have an account? Create one now!
Why should you join?
Click here for full benefits!
Follow our Twitter feedOne last SuperCar beta code for today! More later on in the week: XMKA-82BB-I5BP
SIGN IN/JOIN UP
GamesForumsCheatsVideo
New Left 4 Dead 1 DLC coming | Kingdom Hearts 358/2 due Oct. | TMNT: Turtles in Time launch trailer | PS3 Slim/price drop rumour round-up | Wacky World Of Sports - new shots | Call of Duty gets free iPhone app | More Monkey Ball Step & Roll shots | Mario & Sonic Winter Games - new shots | 52 New Phantasy Star Zero shots | CoD4 exploit fix "in the works" | More lovely FFXIII screens | OPM podcast goes live | VidZone scoops new Prodigy video | Braid PS3 confirmed | 32 Metroid Trilogy shots | Bethesda publishes Wii racer | Monster Hunter Tri coming "early 2010" | Batman demo this Friday | Sales and losses decline at Sega | XBLA deal of the week - R-Type | Paid levels planned for LittleBigPlanet PSP | PS3 installed base doubles | New PSP Gran Turismo shots | Person PSP remake movie | GT5 "source" comments are "rumour and speculation"
All|PC|PlayStation|Xbox|Nintendo|Download PC Games
Search CVG
Computer And Video Games - The latest gaming news, reviews, previews & movies
Bill Gates: Natal for Windows too
View previous topic - View next topic  
badgerpog
Kudos: 29

PostPosted: 15 Jul 09 4:03 pm Reply with quote

Keep Natal and give us Alan Wake instead! Razz
Dajmin
Kudos: 37

PostPosted: 15 Jul 09 4:18 pm Reply with quote

Has Bill been into a regular office recently? It's people being miserable, sitting answering phones and clicking on keyboards when they need to.

I can't imagine any of the people I work with being too happy about needing to wave their arms around to do the same things they can do with no effort now.
bennyboi1979
Kudos: 20

PostPosted: 15 Jul 09 4:22 pm Reply with quote

they will want you to type and move a cusor with a tangible item in your hand...... NO THANKS!!!!! kepp ya webcam and ya $200
kimoak
Kudos: 28

PostPosted: 15 Jul 09 4:32 pm Reply with quote

I can imagine during a conference with Natal picking up facial expression and an artificial voice telling a salesperson. 'Mr Blahblahblah looks pissed off with your proposal' Smile
ParmaViolet
Kudos: 37

PostPosted: 15 Jul 09 4:39 pm Reply with quote

kimoak wrote:
I can imagine during a conference with Natal picking up facial expression and an artificial voice telling a salesperson. 'Mr Blahblahblah looks pissed off with your proposal' Smile

Or even a Powerpoint presentation that selects different slides depending on the reaction it's getting? (plan A, plan B, plan C).

To be honest, I figured that Natal was obvious for use with Windows...it's not going to replace the mouse and keyboard, but I could certainly imagine it being used for a lot of things - it's like touch screen (without having an actual touch screen monitor....and not actually touching anything, I guess).

Smile
AJB123644
Kudos: 27

PostPosted: 15 Jul 09 4:42 pm Reply with quote

Wow I said this would happen and good news too. Well in a way, would be handy for controlling certain media aspects to the pc and certain interactive programes.

Maybe even some games companies would start to develop for it on the pc but I think that would probably not be a brilliant idea. Natal as a home entertainment tool would be awesome and work brilliantly.

For the office though I am a little unsure of whether this could work. What would actually be the benefit to businesses apart from perhaps graphics companies in creating 3d models...
Together we are strong and United we will stand. As PC Gamers come together United we shall be Victorious!
runadumb
Kudos: 31

PostPosted: 15 Jul 09 6:11 pm Reply with quote

I see the potential for this is a media/novelty kinda way. Make it (really) cheap and im in...even if I cant figure out what to do with it haha
The Kool Kid

PostPosted: 15 Jul 09 6:13 pm Reply with quote

School children will one day be taught by Natal...
Paul_Boland2

PostPosted: 15 Jul 09 7:12 pm Reply with quote

Umm... Interesting, but I want Alan Wake!!!
spam23

PostPosted: 15 Jul 09 9:26 pm Reply with quote

sure, windows 7 SP1 could have some natal features in it. Might be fun to mess around with. Much more stuff will be made to use it in much more interesting ways on a PC too with the bedroom codies coming up with ideas no one else would.

If MS think people in normal office jobs are going to adopt it they're tripping on some serious s**t. Ain't happening.
360_Fan
Kudos: 23

PostPosted: 16 Jul 09 4:12 am Reply with quote

The Kool Kid wrote:
School children will one day be taught by Natal...

I was thinking the same thing when it was announced.
bmaindj

PostPosted: 16 Jul 09 9:06 am Reply with quote

It'll probably be used in a type of media interface, kind of like minority report style moving and pulling files I would think but seeing as we all sit looking at some really tiny monitors these days especially in the office I dont think we're quite ready for this kind of stuff just yet!
danmiracle
Kudos: 21

PostPosted: 16 Jul 09 9:12 am Reply with quote

This could be pretty good for creative software (design and music applications etc)

Imagine being able to mould a 3D object in literally with your own hands in Maya etc (or maybe even mould it with clay/plasticine and the software models the same object for you in real time on screen)

Huge potential if the right software supports it...[/quote]
altitude2k

PostPosted: 16 Jul 09 10:13 am Reply with quote

danmiracle wrote:
This could be pretty good for creative software (design and music applications etc)

Imagine being able to mould a 3D object in literally with your own hands in Maya etc (or maybe even mould it with clay/plasticine and the software models the same object for you in real time on screen)

Huge potential if the right software supports it...

I work in engineering design, and our software UI is very good with the limited tools we have in a mouse, keyboard and space navigator. If you could use a Natal-like system to do freeform modeling and then constrain with dimensions using perhaps a more intricate control, such as the mouse, then it would certainly revolutionise the industry.
jazzy_p
Kudos: 25

PostPosted: 16 Jul 09 12:36 pm Reply with quote

you too can fling your arms around and look like an idiot while giving a powerpoint presentation...
so no change there then.

Seriously, this could really be good for animators or engineers, but i dont see how it can help people in an office environment.
headspin
Kudos: 26

PostPosted: 16 Jul 09 1:11 pm Reply with quote

anyone else picture the movie monority report when they read the article??? the first step maybe towards that kind of tech????
Mariokart Code: 1977-0293-7826
http://www.ctrlaltdel-online.com/comics/20050205.jpg
justforkicks101
Kudos: 26

PostPosted: 16 Jul 09 2:06 pm Reply with quote

hmm, this could be great
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Article Comments All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: