Login to access exclusive gaming content, win competition prizes
and post on our forums. Don't have an account? Create one now!
Why should you join?
Click here for full benefits!
Follow our Twitter feed400 Champions Online beta keys going going... http://bit.ly/100Osx
SIGN IN/JOIN UP
GamesForumsCheatsVideo
Mass Effect 2: See the box art | Need for Speed: Shift video | Wet dated for September | Guitar Hero Avatar edition - video | MS: "Gearbox NOT working on Halo" | Monkey Island, Drift Mania on WiiWare | New Resonance of Fate screens | Dark Void slips to 2010 | New Colin McRae: Dirt 2 footage | PS3 production costs down 70 percent | F.E.A.R 2 DLC coming August | Final Fantasy VII countdown emerges | Home gets Fat Princess mini game | New Vandal Hearts shots | AVP sequel to include motion control? | DSi gets Facebook app | Carmack: Rage runs faster on Xbox 360 | New Blur video | PSN Store deploy: Fat Princess | MAG Beta is "internal only" | Masses of Halo: ODST footage | New Uncharted 2 screens | Telltale: "iPhone much more powerful than Wii" | World At War Map Pack movie | MS: 'Next-gen will be new software, not hardware'
All|PC|PlayStation|Xbox|Nintendo|Download PC Games
Search CVG
Computer And Video Games - The latest gaming news, reviews, previews & movies
Nintendo Q1 profit dives 60 percent
Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic - View next topic  
coolpro
Kudos: 16

PostPosted: 30 Jul 09 11:03 am Reply with quote

So it's not just Sony then!!
Mark240473
Kudos: 36

PostPosted: 30 Jul 09 11:16 am Reply with quote

coolpro wrote:
So it's not just Sony then!!

Nope, we're all doomed.
bennyboi1979
Kudos: 20

global recession.... none of this is a surprise.
alexkidd
Kudos: 29

if they swithc the 100's for 50's they wont need to cancel the weekly money fight..damn this recession is tough
canis77
Kudos: 21

PostPosted: 30 Jul 09 11:18 am Reply with quote

Market Saturation or have people finally started to realise that the Wii is a bit s**t?
G_R7
Kudos: 27

PostPosted: 30 Jul 09 11:27 am Reply with quote

canis77 wrote:
Market Saturation or have people finally started to realise that the Wii is a bit s**t?

The Wii is a great little console but it just hadn't had any AAA titles since Super Smash Bros Brawl. Don't get me wrong, there have been some good games this year that I have enjoyed but none that I have loved.

But thats been with all the consoles. Nothing this year I have played has been massive to me, and I have all the consoles and play them fairly.
kimoak
Kudos: 28

PostPosted: 30 Jul 09 11:31 am Reply with quote

canis77 wrote:

These type of comments need to be failblogged.

So, erm... Fail!

Smile

Last edited by kimoak on 30 Jul 09 11:35 am; edited 2 times in total
stedman
Kudos: 17

PostPosted: 30 Jul 09 11:31 am Reply with quote

Well most people who wanted one have one by now...

It's been three years...

Wii's got the best game ever made, cant be that s**t Smile
FiltyMonkey
Kudos: 22

PostPosted: 30 Jul 09 11:35 am Reply with quote

I think Activision need to look at these current treads before releasing MW2 at their new cough up or f**k off price. Arseholes.
WHERESMYMONKEY
Kudos: 31

PostPosted: 30 Jul 09 11:43 am Reply with quote

i think activision need to take MW2 and shove it up thier bottom. Not only is it going to be exactly the same as the last bloody game. but its going to cost twice the price. thanks for helping to make gaming just like every other creative industry these days.

Creatively kicked in the groin by f**king accountants till anything of any real merit is swept under a sea of trite lifeless drivel concieved by f**king focus groups!!!

Rant over. Thank f**k for the likes of tim shaeffer and Suda 51 i say.
palancas7

PostPosted: 30 Jul 09 11:51 am Reply with quote

People, don't compare this to Sony's. Sony had massive losses, while Nintendo.... had a profit decline. 40.4 billion Yen PROFIT, to be exact.
milky_joe
Kudos: 32

PostPosted: 30 Jul 09 11:52 am Reply with quote

I'm sure it's a real kick in the teeth that they only made �270.8m profit and brought in �1.62b in revenue in the first few months of the financial year.

At those kind of levels they'll still be making a �1b profit by the end of the year.
ricflair

PostPosted: 30 Jul 09 12:21 pm Reply with quote

Numbers will pick up, it's amazing it's still full price coming up to three years after release.

Drop the price, or even package more controllers with it and things will pick up. As it stands, (as I think voodoo said) by the time you've bought a wii at �180, wii sports resort for �40, extra motion plus at �20, extra controller at �30 and nunchuck at �15 you're up to the same price as a PS3 with an extra DS3.

For the more core gamer, if �200 is too expensive for a PS3, then close to �300 for a complete two player experience on the wii is crazy - especially with the level of scepticism of Nintendo from 'core' gamers. That's not including classic/gamecube controllers or a wii fit board.

Will the wii come with a motion plus now? Because it is awesome, it improves things massively.

But yeah, still good figures and still in profit.
PTG
Kudos: 27

PostPosted: 30 Jul 09 12:23 pm Reply with quote

"Posted by coolpro
So it's not just Sony then!!"

Yes it is just Sony, Nintendo made a massive profit, jut not as large as last year, whereas Sony lost loads of cash.

53 million Wii's sold worldwide, lets panic because profits are down lol.
sweatyBallacks?
Kudos: 23

PostPosted: 30 Jul 09 12:32 pm Reply with quote

In other news...

My personal profits fell 50% from the same time last year.

Profits fell from �100,000 in 2008 to �50,000 in 2009, a drop of 50%.

Net loss was �287,521 and 50 pence compared to a net profit of �5.00 the year before.

Article supplied by Edge-Online
360_Fan
Kudos: 23

PostPosted: 30 Jul 09 12:43 pm Reply with quote

Good. Now that this freak show is coming to an end, the gamers and the game developers can get back to playing and making real games.
The_KFD_Case

PostPosted: 30 Jul 09 1:10 pm Reply with quote

palancas7 wrote:
People, don't compare this to Sony's. Sony had massive losses, while Nintendo.... had a profit decline. 40.4 billion Yen PROFIT, to be exact.

A good point. I suspect a lack of AAA titles has hurt their more "hardcore" gaming population sales, and while the Wii can still continue to sell I would expect that there is some amount of market saturation at this point. Still, the PS2 sold an estimated 150 million units, so historically it isn't impossible for the Wii to continue selling the way it has been.
The_KFD_Case

PostPosted: 30 Jul 09 1:13 pm Reply with quote

sweatyBallacks? wrote:
In other news...

My personal profits fell 50% from the same time last year.

Profits fell from �100,000 in 2008 to �50,000 in 2009, a drop of 50%.

Net loss was �287,521 and 50 pence compared to a net profit of �5.00 the year before.

Article supplied by Edge-Online

Someone bought a house, lost stock options or has an extensive run of bad look at the bookies. Possibly a combination of all three.
WHERESMYMONKEY

PostPosted: 30 Jul 09 1:33 pm Reply with quote

true, but a relatively large percentage of the ps2s 150 mill were repurchases after one of them kicked the bucket. The wii on the other hand is solid as a rock.

I think wii sales might pick up a little bit when the next zelda gets released.

It wouldn't surprise me if Nintendo started bundling wii sports resort and m+ in with the wii eventually.
Osiris25
Kudos: 16

PostPosted: 30 Jul 09 2:00 pm Reply with quote

I think its already been reported that the Vidoegame industry as a whole is suffering. It seems the economy has finally caught up with it. Still i'm sure they'll all ride it out and carry on. The Wii is a good piece of hardware with good games and will probably carry on selling well. I think Sony has a much harder job on their hands getting the PS3 jumped started again, even with a price drop its in that uneasy realm for consoles where its been out a while and now people are overlooking it and don't consider it when making there choice for purchase (Thats what happened to the Dreamcast and to a lesser extent GC & Xbox 1). However on the plus side it might mean that the prices of hardware & software may drop across the board which is good for all of us!
warren.barrie
Kudos: 9

PostPosted: 30 Jul 09 2:11 pm Reply with quote

People have probably been snapping up 2nd hand Wii consoles being sold by fed-up (Hard)core gamers which Nintendo can't include in their sales figures !! They then wonder why 'core' games don't sell......
gothchild

PostPosted: 30 Jul 09 4:43 pm Reply with quote

This is when people start spouting off about stuff when they don't really understand economic theory and the basics of industry.

I don't either, but I don't pretend to know it's so simple as some people make it out to be.
JuiKuen
Kudos: 26

PostPosted: 30 Jul 09 6:49 pm Reply with quote

Well Nintendo, you have to make some moves in terms of price maybe? Its a recession after all.

On the other hand, they also have to get the core games out such as Piltowings, Star Fox, F-Zero, Donkey Kong (a true 3D platfomer) and Kid Icarus.

Nintendo are kinda reminding me of Arsenal at this point...
kingwiiboy101
Kudos: 7

PostPosted: 30 Jul 09 7:32 pm Reply with quote

profit vs loss

number one console seller on earth wii

number one handheld dsi

number two hand held seller in world ds

number one over all 3rd party software seller ds/wii

number one first party title seller nintendo

its clearly resesion time the big push for middle year and end year will make up a huge amount i.e black wii wm+ push and monster hunter 3

theres corrently a huge selling ds game at number 1 in japan

and wii sports resort is second qort not first qort

nintendo number one sofeware seller

nintendo number one hardware seller

nintendo profits in every single department in every single thing they do

last 6 months of 2009 will be much better

sony loses will continue

theres just not that much spending in usa etc with this credit rescission

nintendos 2009 profits will be huge again ds profits dsi profits wii profits software profits

theres nothing to worry about its a slow economy thats all
kingwiiboy101
Kudos: 7

PostPosted: 30 Jul 09 7:36 pm Reply with quote

[quote="coolpro"]So it's not just Sony then!![/quote

erm nintendo = >>>profit still huge<<<<

sony=>>>>loss<<<< dont try that one on silly sony fans

a profits a profit a loss is a loss sonys psp flopped from day one

ps3 flopped from day one

nintendo profits this gen from day one

its economy not nintendo

wii sports resort and wm+ will bring the next Q term back up

basic mathamatics boys and girls
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Article Comments All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: