Login to access exclusive gaming content, win competition prizes
and post on our forums. Don't have an account? Create one now!
Why should you join?
Click here for full benefits!
Follow our Twitter feedHMV scoops £120 Modern Warfare 2 Prestige box - http://bit.ly/CUBoL
SIGN IN/JOIN UP
GamesForumsCheatsVideo
Batman: Arkham Asylum - new vid | Behind the scenes with Trauma Team | Gears of War 2: All Fronts maps movie | Cursed Mountain - two new movies | Ashes games dated | Nintendo DS WINS | Massive MapleStory update planned | Industry sees biggest decline in nine years | Halo: ODST tagged at £39.99 | This week's PSN Update | New MGS: Peace Walker screens - awesome | Xbox dashboard update: Full details | Op Flashpoint: Dragon Rising dated | HMV scoops £120 Modern Warfare 2 Prestige box | NPD: 360 sales rise as other systems fall | Assassin's Creed Bloodlines - new movie | 300th game lands on Virtual Console | New PS3 motion control details | Extra design options for APB's enforcers | LucasArts: "world exclusive" news at Comic-Con | Marvel vs. Capcom dated for PSN | Resi 5 PC gets a date | New Final Fantasy XIII details | Guitar Hero 5: More tracks revealed | Watchmen: Part 2 new movie
All|PC|PlayStation|Xbox|Nintendo|Download PC Games
Search CVG
Computer And Video Games - The latest gaming news, reviews, previews & movies
Halo: ODST tagged at £39.99
Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic - View next topic  
_Marty_
Kudos: 35

PostPosted: 17 Jul 09 1:07 pm Reply with quote

DOes that mean we can expect as much content from this as Halo 3 itself? Cos otherwise we are being screwed...

Maybe it'll be worth every penny, but it sure does sound like a lot for additional content.
dark_gamer
Kudos: 32

PostPosted: 17 Jul 09 1:09 pm Reply with quote

And I thought it wasn't going to be priced as a full game? They're probably using the multiplayer as an excuse but this still should of been around £20-25.
Conkers
Kudos: 27

PostPosted: 17 Jul 09 1:09 pm Reply with quote

Then I’m even more glad that I pre ordered with normally shabby retailer Argos for only £26.99, though to be honest I would have paid full price for it anyway, even though I’ve bought all of the maps for Halo already.
StonecoldMC
Kudos: 37

PostPosted: 17 Jul 09 1:11 pm Reply with quote

Really looking forward to ODST. Ive read a few previews recently and the Game seems to be .... Fun!

Bungie know how to make a good Game and I am sure that the £39.99 that ill pay for it will be hours and hours of Fun!
altitude2k
Kudos: 29

PostPosted: 17 Jul 09 1:15 pm Reply with quote

_Marty_ wrote:
DOes that mean we can expect as much content from this as Halo 3 itself? Cos otherwise we are being screwed...

How do you work that out? £40 is RRP - preorder price on Play, Amazon, GAME is under £30. Considering you get a campaign, firefight mode and all the halo 3 multiplayer bits that's a good deal.

CVG should be quite clear that these prices are RRP and not necessarily what you are going to pay. ODST will be a clear tenner cheaper than Halo 3 was at launch.

Last edited by altitude2k on 17 Jul 09 1:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
Hobophobik
Kudos: 23

PostPosted: 17 Jul 09 1:17 pm Reply with quote

Conkers wrote:
Then I’m even more glad that I pre ordered with normally shabby retailer Argos for only £26.99, though to be honest I would have paid full price for it anyway, even though I’ve bought all of the maps for Halo already.

I'm told if you pre-order a game from Argos, the voucher code "game20" will get 20% off. Not tried it myself.
Conkers
Kudos: 27

PostPosted: 17 Jul 09 1:28 pm Reply with quote

Hobophobik wrote:
Conkers wrote:

I'm told if you pre-order a game from Argos, the voucher code "game20" will get 20% off. Not tried it myself.

I didn’t do that, when they first listed the game on their website they had that price, obviously using what had previously been touted as RRP for the game. I ordered, they took the cash, soon after they upped their price to about £37. I like capitalising on other peoples mistakes, it makes me all warm and fuzzy inside. Such a shame I missed out on the early Gears of War 2 All fronts pack at 800 points, damn stupid work getting in the way.
Sniper_Fox
Kudos: 4

PostPosted: 17 Jul 09 1:42 pm Reply with quote

Waste of money, f**k all content in this package. And Halo sucks.
_Marty_
Kudos: 35

PostPosted: 17 Jul 09 1:42 pm Reply with quote

altitude2k wrote:
_Marty_ wrote:

How do you work that out? £40 is RRP - preorder price on Play, Amazon, GAME is under £30. Considering you get a campaign, firefight mode and all the halo 3 multiplayer bits that's a good deal.

CVG should be quite clear that these prices are RRP and not necessarily what you are going to pay. ODST will be a clear tenner cheaper than Halo 3 was at launch.

I know what a RRP is - and the standard RRP for 360 games is 40-50 quid, making ODST a full price release.
altitude2k

PostPosted: 17 Jul 09 1:49 pm Reply with quote

_Marty_ wrote:
altitude2k wrote:
_Marty_ wrote:

I know what a RRP is - and the standard RRP for 360 games is 40-50 quid, making ODST a full price release.

Regardless of the label "full price", it's still £10 cheaper than Halo 3 at launch - and most games at launch, in fact.
GTCzeero
Kudos: 11

PostPosted: 17 Jul 09 2:34 pm Reply with quote

What is this, gouge the consumer week? I want ODST as much as the next person, but it's an expansion, I'm sure they stated it wouldn't be as big as a full Halo title. £40 is asking too much.
altitude2k

PostPosted: 17 Jul 09 2:46 pm Reply with quote

GTCzeero wrote:
What is this, gouge the consumer week? I want ODST as much as the next person, but it's an expansion, I'm sure they stated it wouldn't be as big as a full Halo title. £40 is asking too much.

Yes...if retailers were actually selling it at £40 - but they're clearly not.

Click Here

Click Here

Click Here
CVG Gav
CVG Staff

PostPosted: 17 Jul 09 3:40 pm Reply with quote

altitude2k wrote:

Microsoft has confirmed that ODST will "have a suggested retail price of £39.99."
altitude2k

PostPosted: 17 Jul 09 4:00 pm Reply with quote

CVG Gav wrote:
altitude2k wrote:

Microsoft has confirmed that ODST will "have a suggested retail price of £39.99."

Better get in there quick, then:

Click Here
BeauBeau
Kudos: 23

PostPosted: 17 Jul 09 4:04 pm Reply with quote

GAME currently have it for £34.99: buy it through Quidco and you'll get another 9% off (about £32). Plus if you're an uber-nerd you can get double reward points, to cut the cost of your next purchase. Like the Meerkat says, 'simples.'

That said - and just so I understand this entirely - will ODST actually have a single player campaign worth playing? Much as I love Halo, I loathe it online (spending my evenings in the company of racist American teenagers not being high on my list of fun things), so I'd only really be buying it for single player and offline co-op.
Miss_Wacy
Kudos: 24

PostPosted: 17 Jul 09 4:14 pm Reply with quote

pre orderd mine from amazon for 29.99
xbl:TastyAcidMilk
ricflair
Kudos: 31

PostPosted: 17 Jul 09 4:16 pm Reply with quote

Hobophobik wrote:
Conkers wrote:

It does work, I ordered Wii Sports Resort for £30, RRP is £49.99! But they charge your card immediately, not on dispatch and I think you have to put in seperate orders for multiple games as they will despatch when the order is complete - as the postage is free, it doesn't really matter!

Click Here

However some posted that ODST comes up as out of stock - it's a preorder!!
StonecoldMC
Kudos: 37

PostPosted: 17 Jul 09 4:22 pm Reply with quote

altitude2k wrote:
GTCzeero wrote:

Yes...if retailers were actually selling it at £40 - but they're clearly not.

Click Here

Click Here

Click Here

Merci Buckets altitude!

And merci buckets, Amazon Laughing .
ricflair
Kudos: 31

PostPosted: 17 Jul 09 4:31 pm Reply with quote

Regarding prices of games, just remember that Virtua Racing I made my dad buy for me on the MD was over £100 in new money!

MD games were closer to £40 and SNES closer to £50, that's still close the the £70 mark! Although on the whole I'm sure they sell a hell of a lot more copies nowadays.
minignaz
Kudos: 36

PostPosted: 17 Jul 09 4:35 pm Reply with quote

Gameplay have it for £30 so I've ordered it from there.
Still a bit more than I expected to pay for it, but I'm sure I'll live.
gogo65uk
Kudos: 26

PostPosted: 17 Jul 09 5:24 pm Reply with quote

Not sure what the deal with the halo series is. I kinda liked the 1st hated the 2nd and didnt play 3rd beyond fourth lvl as it didnt suck me in. I Don't care if ODST comes out for a fiver I wont be getting it. But I don't doubt it will sell well.
romeolovesyou

PostPosted: 17 Jul 09 5:44 pm Reply with quote

preordered for £19.99 Surprised) actual price ill be paying when you factor in quidco etc.. is probably closer to £17. good times
sonic_uk
Kudos: 19

PostPosted: 17 Jul 09 6:59 pm Reply with quote

As it should be. No standard edition game should be priced above £40. I would only expect to pay more than that for a limited or special edition.
starsail
Kudos: 14

PostPosted: 18 Jul 09 2:23 pm Reply with quote

It best have a full campiagn (even bigger than Halo 3's as this was immensely under developed.) 4 player co-op and an online mode to match MAG (ok, going too far here, we know Xbox 360 would never be able to support that).

In all seriousness though, I thought this was an expansion, not a full priced retail game. With charges for Live (garden restricted service), charges proposed for a music services, rental only movie downloads, and now full price expansions, I think MS need to readdress a few polices before users realise their paying more for their Xbox than users are for PS3.
The_KFD_Case
Kudos: 30

PostPosted: 18 Jul 09 5:06 pm Reply with quote

starsail wrote:
It best have a full campiagn (even bigger than Halo 3's as this was immensely under developed.) 4 player co-op and an online mode to match MAG (ok, going too far here, we know Xbox 360 would never be able to support that).

In all seriousness though, I thought this was an expansion, not a full priced retail game. With charges for Live (garden restricted service), charges proposed for a music services, rental only movie downloads, and now full price expansions, I think MS need to readdress a few polices before users realise their paying more for their Xbox than users are for PS3.

Except that Xbox 360 users, like myself, whom do not use any of the above mentioned things, but only use the Xbox 360 as a stand-alone gaming machine with the odd DVD being played from it for HDMI connectivity, do not incur any of those costs. The PS3 is more expensive and at the end of the day, as Marty pointed out in a previous thread, the Xbox 360 is currently the only "next gen" console you can buy for 100 quid (Arcade version,) and begin playing on straight away if gaming is what you are interested in. You don't *need* to have a hard drive in order to play the games although it might be a good idea if you plan on saving a lot. You don't need online connectivity. You don't need a movie service, etc. I can't do the same with either the PS3 nor the Wii for that price. Like it or not MS's strategy of offering greater customization options than its competitors, and lower prices as well, has paid dividends for it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Article Comments All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: