Login to access exclusive gaming content, win competition prizes
and post on our forums. Don't have an account? Create one now!
Why should you join?
Click here for full benefits!
Follow our Twitter feedGTA Chinatown Wars coming to PSP! http://bit.ly/12vjcA
SIGN IN/JOIN UP
GamesForumsCheatsVideo
Street Fighter II Turbo HD Remix price cut | Images of Midway's Necessary Force arise | Five more characters for Tekken 6 - shots | ArmA 2 gets July US release | New Duke Nukem in development | Mortal Kombat 9 will be "sick" | Prototype tops Sims 3 | Mass Effect DLC news this week? | GTA: Chinatown Wars goes PSP | 360 Avatar rules revealed: No sex, booze | Max Payne 3 dated | Peter Moore squares up to Obama | Most UK broadband users "dissatisfied" | Fallout: Point Lookout DLC shots | Madballs XBLA - first movie | Ballmer explains new Xbox comment | Champ Man 2010 dated | Left 4 Dead update this week | Fat Princess delayed | Nelson talks new "faster" 360 dashboard | First F1 2010 images | America's Army studio shut | ID theft moves to console, PC games | Sports stars praise Wii Sports Resort | Behind the Sims: Pixie Lott video
All|PC|PlayStation|Xbox|Nintendo|Download PC Games
Search CVG
Computer And Video Games - The latest gaming news, reviews, previews & movies
ArmA 2
View previous topic - View next topic  
The_KFD_Case
Kudos: 30

PostPosted: 17 Jun 09 2:14 pm Reply with quote

Man! That does sound good. Parts of the review gave me flashbacks to basic training in the army. Covering squad movement (half cover while the other half advance, then vice versa, etc.); slowly walking through a field of high grass trying to look in every direction waiting for an attack and then suddenly hearing the first cracks of gunfire and the sergeant shouting the command word for seeking cover from a simulated grenade attack...the sun in yours eyes as you lie uncomfortably hot and sweaty in a dry field of grass, disoriented and desparetly trying to determine where the attack is coming from (muzzle flashes are hard to see during day time,) debating whether to brave raising your head above the tall grass line to get a better view vs. the potentially deadly consequences....ArmA2 sounds like it's pulled these aspects of soldiering off quite nicely. A shame the AI issues and bugs appear to hamper the game. I'll wait to see what OpsFlash 2 is like, and maybe by then some of the issues will have been ironed out in this game.
trooperdx3117
Kudos: 23

PostPosted: 17 Jun 09 3:01 pm Reply with quote

This game sounds alright but is it coming out for 360, I don't have a computer made of lasers and this game was announced for 360 but I heard it was cancelled
Sleepaphobic
Kudos: 17

PostPosted: 17 Jun 09 3:40 pm Reply with quote

trooperdx3117 wrote:
This game sounds alright but is it coming out for 360, I don't have a computer made of lasers and this game was announced for 360 but I heard it was cancelled
no i think its PC only. if you cant play it (which is a shame) then wait for flashpoint in the fall as that is for the consoles as well, how good it will be is the million dollar question though

and the bugs will be fixed as bohemia really do support their games post launch with fixes and extra sp/mp stuff.
Adam81uk
Kudos: 21

PostPosted: 17 Jun 09 4:14 pm Reply with quote

The game looks great and sounds amazing, i just think its going to be a little bit too hardcore for me. Not sure i have the time to invest to really learn to think like a soldier, nor the patience for that matter. Shame as the premise really appeals to me, i just know my lack of patience and skill wouldn't allow me to get the most out of it after playing other FPS.
lmimmfn
Kudos: 36

PostPosted: 17 Jun 09 6:22 pm Reply with quote

And the bloody spec of the machine used for the review was??????????????????????????????????
I know it'll come down to it was a box on the page of the magazine, but jez do these articles ever get reviewed before getting uploaded?
SAeN
Kudos: 27

PostPosted: 17 Jun 09 7:24 pm Reply with quote

3 GHz Quad core, 4Gb of RAM, 512Mb 3d card.

And as was said in the review, that made it smooth.

Players who bagged an early copy are reporting that it needs to be better optimised but that was to be expected. Most blame the fillrate slider that acts as a replacement for AA
------
xfire: thievingpigeon
Gamertag: thieving pigeon
Steam: SAeNLESS
WaR: Server-Karak Norn; Name-Hedyt
The_KFD_Case

PostPosted: 18 Jun 09 12:14 am Reply with quote

SAeN wrote:
3 GHz Quad core, 4Gb of RAM, 512Mb 3d card.

And as was said in the review, that made it smooth.

Players who bagged an early copy are reporting that it needs to be better optimised but that was to be expected. Most blame the fillrate slider that acts as a replacement for AA

Thanks for the info. Asides from the Quad Core bit (I use a Duo Core,) my PC rig meets all of those specifications. Still, as previously stated, I'll wait until OpsFlash 2 is out before making my final decision. Perhaps a more optimized version will be out by then.
darthmelly
Kudos: 23

PostPosted: 18 Jun 09 9:46 pm Reply with quote

Agreed. Looks promising enough but definitely not the complete package. Will wait for OP2 and make a decision then.

It does seem the same problems that plagued the first generation games are still here (AI, specs, bugs) which is disappointing. I would prefer a complete game experience straight off rather than waiting until a couple of patches come out.
Speciala
Kudos: 18

PostPosted: 19 Jun 09 4:47 pm Reply with quote

The game is more than playable. The bugs wont stop you enjoying the game. If they do stop your enjoyment, the game is not for you.
Alex

PostPosted: 19 Jun 09 5:19 pm Reply with quote

Ok the competition link in the CVG email redirects to this page, is there even a competition to win a monitor cos I can't find one! Crying or Very sad
Alex

PostPosted: 19 Jun 09 8:40 pm Reply with quote

Found it!

For those who are also lost go here:

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=217925
lordirongut
Kudos: 10

PostPosted: 20 Jun 09 12:58 pm Reply with quote

You know, I heard someone say that this game would be 'genre defining' a few weeks ago on these forums, and I thought that they were being sarcastic, but the more I read up on this game, the more I realise that they might have been serious. Might have to go pick this up.
eksistenz
Kudos: 9

PostPosted: 20 Jun 09 5:39 pm Reply with quote

I was really looking forward to this coming out. All the previews seemed to indicate it would be so much better than its frankly woeful predecessor.
Got the game today, and it's just more of the same. Same naff menus, same laggy mouse control that makes hitting anything more luck than judgement, and graphics that will require several hundred pounds of hardware upgrade in order to make it playable.
I'm all for pushing technology forward, but please developers, make your games playable on normal hardware - we don't all have access to quad processors and dual SLI graphics.
Let's hope Flashpoint 2 is better, 'cos this was a waste of f'*king money.
Serenity

PostPosted: 21 Jun 09 11:15 pm Reply with quote

Quite enjoying it myself Craig. You need to spend a hell of a lot of time learning the controls and practising them but it's worth it.

Haven't stumbled over any game-breaking bugs yet although I can't help thinking text-to-speech would do a tenfold better job of the in-game dialogue.

You're also right about the AI. For the most part, they are crack shots and bloody smart, but driving is certainly not a strong point. Too many times I've seen an APC fly down the road straight into a parked bus or zoom past it's turning by 30 feet, still try to make the turn, take out two signs and whatever else is nearby.

Helicopters are easy enough to fly but VTOLS are a different breed. Way too twitchy. Getting stuck in trees is a favourite pastime of the VTOL too.

I really hope the bugs get ironed out as they're only little things but it's just the amount of them. When it's working properly, this thing will be epic.
funkyjack

PostPosted: 22 Jun 09 12:00 pm Reply with quote

This game is like crack, I'm totally addicted, it's the best infantry simulation I have ever played.

It has some annoying bugs in the training missions (which the patch seemed to fix), but I am really enjoying learning to fly and command tanks etc. I do agree the controls aren't very intuitive, but if you put some time in, they start to become second nature.

This game is going to eat up a lot of my time, the editor is fantastic...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Article Comments All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: