Login to access exclusive gaming content, win competition prizes
and post on our forums. Don't have an account? Create one now!
Why should you join?
Click here for full benefits!
GamesForumsCheatsVideo
GC: Katamari Forever screens | Midway becomes Tradewest Games | GC: Monkey Ball Step & Roll shots | Free GH: World Tour game with Guitar Hero 5 pre-orders | GC: Tony Hawk's: Ride - hands-on video | Achievements give away Mass Effect DLC? | GameStop expects further console price cuts | Siege of Spinner Cay trailer | GC: The Dante's Inferno trailer | Zelda: Spirit Tracks dated? | Two racers for 360 Games on Demand | English FFXIII demo would be "completely new" | Modern Warfare 2 cast revealed | This week's Nintendo updates | GC: Tekken 6 punches Gamescom in the face | GC: Mafia II shots, trailer | GC: Borderlands media out | GC: EA "certain" of classic IP revivals | James Cameron's Avatar movie trailer | GC: Beatles: Rock Band DLC revealed | Bethesda reveal "in the next month" | GC: Extensive DLC planned for LBP PSP | GC: F1 Wii new movie | Guitar Hero 6 to use motion tech? | GC: PGR dev's Blur dated
All|PC|PlayStation|Xbox|Nintendo|Download PC Games
Search CVG
Computer And Video Games - The latest gaming news, reviews, previews & movies
Modern Warfare 2 to get online subscriptions?
Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic - View next topic  
ledickolas
Kudos: 29

PostPosted: 17 Jun 09 12:05 pm Reply with quote

Early access to betas and expansions? I'd expect them for price of the subscription.

Activision: in a word 'no'

in three words 'go f**k yourself'

I'm not going to start paying subscriptions on top of my Live account.

Last edited by ledickolas on 17 Jun 09 12:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
juliancallan2
Kudos: 6

PostPosted: 17 Jun 09 12:06 pm Reply with quote

Seems exactly like a cheap marketing ploy.

Oh and stop reporting bullshit speculation as news.
flash501
Kudos: 32

PostPosted: 17 Jun 09 12:10 pm Reply with quote

I really wish that Activision didn't own the cod franchise , the more popular it gets the more ways they will think of ripping off us gamers. I bet eventually paying a subscription will be the only way to access the online features.
The_Angry_Badger
Kudos: 22

PostPosted: 17 Jun 09 12:18 pm Reply with quote

I've always stuck by the likes of Activision with their charging for additional content like map packs, but this seems a bit too much like milking it. Come on, with MW1 the game and map pack came to about £60, that is plenty to pay, i am starting to feel like i'm getting screwed a bit with the additional content.
svd_grasshopper

PostPosted: 17 Jun 09 12:26 pm Reply with quote

slags, they are already over charging for the game itself. f**king RRP £54.99

i'd never pay a sub. its the main reason i got shot of my 360.

if it came to it i'd boycott the full game. seems like they are whoring it out anyway.

would the pc versions still be a subscription?! i know there are gimpy subscription games on pc, but they usually get their DLC for fuck all.

activision are parasites.
metallicorphan
Kudos: 26

PostPosted: 17 Jun 09 12:30 pm Reply with quote

and there's the sly dig at xbox 360,you just cant help yerself can you Grassboy?
nottsville
Kudos: 37

PostPosted: 17 Jun 09 12:30 pm Reply with quote

svd_grasshopper wrote:

activision are parasites.

Even though i usually disagree with a passion anything you say, i'm with you on that one, good sir!

This is balls. I think they just know they are onto a multi-million selling game and they know people WILL pay out for this!
RumbleThunder
Kudos: 35

PostPosted: 17 Jun 09 12:31 pm Reply with quote

Ahahahaha.

Bahahahahahahaha.
pedroukuk
Kudos: 13

PostPosted: 17 Jun 09 12:36 pm Reply with quote

I see no problam with this, it's no different to going to the doctors
almanac2015
Kudos: 36

PostPosted: 17 Jun 09 12:38 pm Reply with quote

As EA become a liked publisher, it appears Activision is going to do everything it can to convince everyone that it's a complete t**t.
Subscription to an online FPS? It can f**k right off with an idea like that, I'm not paying for exclusive game modes. And I'm sure I'm not the only person who says if this happens, I won't be buying.
nathar
Kudos: 20

PostPosted: 17 Jun 09 12:43 pm Reply with quote

Good grief, what a stupid stupid idea. Its because of these types of decisions that games like this tend to be the most pirated.
Random Hangman
Kudos: 26

PostPosted: 17 Jun 09 12:43 pm Reply with quote

MW2 is pretty much my most anticipated game this year and the first MW is sitting in the Xbox as we speak (I also have it for PS3) but...

There is no way on earth that I will buy MW2 if Activision go ahead with a stunt like that. Additional maps? Yep, I'll bite and fork out the £5-£10 for them, but this? No way!

I will cut my nose off to spite my face over that!
svd_grasshopper

PostPosted: 17 Jun 09 12:46 pm Reply with quote

metallicorphan wrote:
and there's the sly dig at xbox 360,you just cant help yerself can you Grassboy?

sly dig? its a fact. LIVE is sub based. i would never pay a sub.

if an MMO-type/subscription based CoD came out i wouldnt go anywhere near it. wouldnt enable them.

meanwhile IW must be sitting around shaking their head. CoD would be nothing without them and these whores activision are f**king around with it. i hope it falls flat on its face if they try it.

IW would be better breaking off and making their own game. f**k the franchise.

Last edited by svd_grasshopper on 17 Jun 09 12:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
StonecoldMC
Kudos: 38

PostPosted: 17 Jun 09 12:48 pm Reply with quote

Ive being saying on here for a while now that Activision are the worst of the Publishers out there.

The way they treated Brutal Legend, Fear 2, Prototype when they dropped them was terrible, then they see that Brutal Legend looks pretty good and they then sue Tim Schafers ass.

If only I didnt want to buy MW2, damn you Infinity Ward and your truly great Games!
suchthef00l
Kudos: 31

PostPosted: 17 Jun 09 12:49 pm Reply with quote

Stupid, flamebaiting subtitle CVG- Why on earth would an Activision survey (note- the PUBLISHER, not even the developer), which would be a small subset of the earliest stage of game development, be fed into changing the feature set of a game that is only a few months from completion?

As it happens I do work in software development, but I don't think you really need to to figure out that there is no way in hell this survey has anything to do with Modern Warfare 2, or any title that far through development.

Had you asked "MMO features to be added to future CoD titles" or something similar, that would be fair. As it stands you'll have every commentard up in arms about a feature that probably has nothing to do with Modern Warfare.

Sort it out please.

I just commented on this over on Eurogamer (videogangs), where I said I'd happily support something like this as long as it was robust, well supported, multiplayer only and good value for money.

I'm not sure this would work on Xbox live, where people already cough up cold cash, but as a PC title it would certainly be adopted by the competetive hardcore, as long as there was enough to it to justify the pricetag.
china
Banned

PostPosted: 17 Jun 09 12:57 pm Reply with quote

This message is not being displayed because the poster is banned.
svd_grasshopper

PostPosted: 17 Jun 09 1:02 pm Reply with quote

^ crimbo.

and the multiplayer in CoD4 is class. it aint overrated.
WHERESMYMONKEY

PostPosted: 17 Jun 09 1:06 pm Reply with quote

i'm giving you 3/1 that this happens.

You know what. I bet the meatheads that love these games so much'll pay it too.

bwahahahahaha!!
adgr19
Kudos: 24

PostPosted: 17 Jun 09 1:09 pm Reply with quote

if this is true, they can go **** themselves. This will be just the start. Speak with your wallets (or purses) people!
RumbleThunder
Kudos: 35

PostPosted: 17 Jun 09 1:11 pm Reply with quote

TF2 is around 392084 times more fun than COD, and just look at the developer love that gets.

Pathetic cash in.
Jensonjet

PostPosted: 17 Jun 09 1:15 pm Reply with quote

F*CK YOU ACTIVISION!

This is exactly why I've never purchased any DLC. Sure, I would love to have extra content for the games I love, but once DLC becomes very popular, that'll be the start of games getting smaller and smaller, with DLC required to own the full game.

Imagine all future games starting off as small as say this interim Gran Tourismo. A basic game engine with very little content. Then over the months, the publishers/developers release DLC packs for maps/tracks, or cars/guns... maybe even game types or features. If this is to be the future everyone purchasing DLC is edging us towards this.
ledickolas
Kudos: 29

PostPosted: 17 Jun 09 1:16 pm Reply with quote

StonecoldMC wrote:
Ive being saying on here for a while now that Activision are the worst of the Publishers out there.

The way they treated Brutal Legend, Fear 2, Prototype when they dropped them was terrible, then they see that Brutal Legend looks pretty good and they then sue Tim Schafers ass.

If only I didnt want to buy MW2, damn you Infinity Ward and your truly great Games!

Buy it preowned, then you're not actually giving them any money.
DJEnhancr
Kudos: 15

PostPosted: 17 Jun 09 1:40 pm Reply with quote

From what I'm reading here, it sounds like the COD series is trying to do what MAG is doing on PS3.

If so, this could get very interesting.
The_KFD_Case

PostPosted: 17 Jun 09 2:18 pm Reply with quote

Not interested in the least. Thanks, but no thanks Activision.
KMakawa

PostPosted: 17 Jun 09 4:28 pm Reply with quote

For the record, this is not aimed at Modern Warfare 2. Thanks.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Article Comments All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: