Login to access exclusive gaming content, win competition prizes
and post on our forums. Don't have an account? Create one now!
Why should you join?
Click here for full benefits!
GamesForumsCheatsVideo
Game & Watch games come to DSiWare | Konami unveils Wii horror | Vitality Sensor can be the next Balance Board | Xbox Live: This week's content | XBLA summer line-up dated | BioShock 2's fourth developer revealed... | Exclusive Ion Assault videos | Warriors Orochi 2 PSP dated | Need for Speed: Nitro screens | New Killzone 2 maps revealed | Supercar Challenge gameplay videos | Alan Wake PC "up in the air" | Mass Effect 2 gameplay - lots of it | The Call Of Duty name is back | Uncharted 2: Intro video details story | PSN Update: Battlefield swoops in | Rock Band PSP update | FIFA Manager 10 scores online mode | Nobilis shows off sweet 2D quest for PSN | Nintendo downloads - Hanabi week 2 | Guitar Hero 5: Partial tracklist released | Forza 3: "No weather, night racing or rally" | Tekken 6 media EXPLOSION | UFC 2009: No one likes a quitter | Command & Conquer 4 is official
All|PC|PlayStation|Xbox|Nintendo|Download PC Games
Search CVG
Computer And Video Games - The latest gaming news, reviews, previews & movies
Mass Effect 2 gameplay - lots of it
View previous topic - View next topic  
dremorack
Kudos: 29

PostPosted: 10 Jul 09 11:38 am Reply with quote

Eugh. I did not expect spoilers for the new game. They totally ruined the ending already. Thanks bioware.
Fishbro
Kudos: 9

PostPosted: 10 Jul 09 11:39 am Reply with quote

Well... best not let him die then!
Mark240473
Kudos: 36

PostPosted: 10 Jul 09 11:41 am Reply with quote

Looks mint but I won't be buying it because I never finished the first game.

Looks like I'll be missing out on a good one. Sad
ingy
Kudos: 30

PostPosted: 10 Jul 09 11:43 am Reply with quote

Looks fantastic, my only concern is the on screen prompts in the bottom left of the screen during the cut scene.

Developers seem to think this kind of 'QTE' thing makes cut scenes more involving, but it does the exact opposite.

Still, i can't wait for this, dare i say a system seller.
pishers

PostPosted: 10 Jul 09 12:00 pm Reply with quote

ingy wrote:
Looks fantastic, my only concern is the on screen prompts in the bottom left of the screen during the cut scene.

Developers seem to think this kind of 'QTE' thing makes cut scenes more involving, but it does the exact opposite.

the first was a system seller, its the reason i bought a 360 Very Happy

@Mark - if this game is good then surely getting it without finishing me1 is a possibility?
Black Mantis
Kudos: 31

PostPosted: 10 Jul 09 12:08 pm Reply with quote

dremorack wrote:
Eugh. I did not expect spoilers for the new game. They totally ruined the ending already. Thanks bioware.

Why didn't you read the article? It said there were loads of spoilers. I decided not to watch it after seeing that, but maybe you'll forget it by the time it's released! Cool
Mark240473
Kudos: 36

PostPosted: 10 Jul 09 12:25 pm Reply with quote

pishers wrote:
ingy wrote:

the first was a system seller, its the reason i bought a 360 Very Happy

@Mark - if this game is good then surely getting it without finishing me1 is a possibility?

ME1 was a very story driven game and I don't think I'd have a clue what was going on in ME2. Also, I wouldn't have the benefit of the differing links between the two games.

It's a shame, but there will be alternatives like Alan Wake and Heavy Rain around the time of release, so I'm more intent in getting into those.
pishers

PostPosted: 10 Jul 09 12:33 pm Reply with quote

having watched the video now i am not convinced there is an awful lot of spoilerage, i think they are carefully showing snippets but not giving too much away. i wouldnt be surprised if everything shown is from early parts of the game, its doesnt seem that epic if this is it.
Chris W

PostPosted: 10 Jul 09 12:38 pm Reply with quote

I really hope they improve graphics. ME had nice art but horrible effects and lots of pre-baked stuff. Some characters though are some of the best I've seen in a game, detail is off the charts like that bounty hunter alien "frog." I'm hoping for much more this time on all fronts.
StonecoldMC
Kudos: 37

PostPosted: 10 Jul 09 12:41 pm Reply with quote

The beginning of 2010 is shaping up to be a Monster!

Alan Wake, ME2 & God of War 3. Truly outstanding looking Games and all in different genres.

For those that are worried as they never played the first Mass Effect, Bioware have already stated that it is a stand alone story and there is no need to have played the first one (although your saved searches will carry over).

Mature, story driven Games? Count me in!!!
justy_uk
Kudos: 26

PostPosted: 10 Jul 09 12:50 pm Reply with quote

Spoilers?? Goddammit, why can't they just release teasers or pictures to get us excited?

I've got high hopes for this so I'm not going to spoil it at all, the first was so good as I never really had a clue about the storyline until I played it, I'm not going to ruin the sequel for myself...
Dajmin
Kudos: 37

PostPosted: 10 Jul 09 12:57 pm Reply with quote

@Mark240473
I'd definitely recommend finishing ME1, even if you don't intend on buying ME2. Although if you did finish it, I guarantee you'd want ME2 after it Smile

I love the original and can't wait to get my hands on the sequel.
dremorack

PostPosted: 10 Jul 09 1:04 pm Reply with quote

Black Mantis wrote:
dremorack wrote:

Why didn't you read the article? It said there were loads of spoilers. I decided not to watch it after seeing that, but maybe you'll forget it by the time it's released! Cool

I expected spoilers from the first one! Sad
Black Mantis
Kudos: 31

PostPosted: 10 Jul 09 1:12 pm Reply with quote

dremorack wrote:
Black Mantis wrote:
dremorack wrote:

I expected spoilers from the first one! Sad

Doh! Laughing
adamp105
Kudos: 10

PostPosted: 10 Jul 09 1:39 pm Reply with quote

Chris W wrote:
I really hope they improve graphics. ME had nice art but horrible effects and lots of pre-baked stuff. Some characters though are some of the best I've seen in a game, detail is off the charts like that bounty hunter alien "frog." I'm hoping for much more this time on all fronts.

Don't worry, they have. Theres no frame rate problems like in the first one (or at least thats what I've heard, I cudn't say for sure obviously). But it definitely looks a lot better.

I'm already doing a Homer Simpson over this game, can't wait to get it!!!

@Mark240473
You shud definitely finish the first game, it's well worth it, and you can use that save in the second game. However, even if u don't, it is a standalone story!
monty_79
Kudos: 19

PostPosted: 10 Jul 09 2:22 pm Reply with quote

I am literally on the last part of ME 1, but have not yet completed it.

Can anyone who has watched this trailer let me know if the 'spoilers' are going to spoil the ME1 ending, or details of ME2?

Ta
monty_79
Kudos: 19

PostPosted: 10 Jul 09 2:36 pm Reply with quote

Too late. Watched it.

I think they gave quite a lot away about it actually. Telling us one of the endings is a bit, well, defeating the point of it a bit?
headspin
Kudos: 26

PostPosted: 10 Jul 09 3:36 pm Reply with quote

any other games i want to get this year arent even in the same league as how much i want this, its looking amazing and cant wait for it!!!!
Mariokart Code: 1977-0293-7826
http://www.ctrlaltdel-online.com/comics/20050205.jpg
Jensonjet
Kudos: 20

PostPosted: 10 Jul 09 5:03 pm Reply with quote

The trailer spoils nothing. Anything they show that appears to be a spoiler is guaranteed to be from the begining of the game. Baring in mind the whole game, including mini-missions is probably more than 20 hours long, showing a few minutes of gameplay to give us a taste of the game hardly ruins it. Give Bioware some credit. Of all the developers, they're one who actually credits us with some intelligence!

The snippets of gameplay really only show us stuff anyone who's either played a game sequel, or watched a movie sequel could guess anyway. There are new characters and locations, and we also get to revisit old locations and characters. Equally there'll be new game features as well as the reappearance of familiar ones from the first game. If that's spoilt the whole game for you, then you've led a sheltered life!!

The comments I read about graphic complaints with the first game are astonishing. The graphics and animation of characters during conversations is better than I've ever seen in any other game, except for pre-rendered cut scenes. Sure, we can complain the game doesn't look like an actual movie, but if you complain about the graphics in Mass Effect, you'll probably be complaining up to the day games look like movie digital effects.

I really love Mass Effect. The story and lore within the ME galaxy, the personalities and histories of the characters, and the development of the story are second to none in my eyes. It's a smart game that if you find yourself distracted by the odd graphical hiccup then you probably just don't love the game like the rest of us. If I wanted to complain then I would suggest the option of a first person view would be good, as we get in Oblivion. The fact is the game does so much right I personally feel lucky it's as good as it is.

Anyone who's not finished the game � do so, then you can play through on the tougher settings. The game is even more enjoyable when it's on the harder difficulties. Admittedly you're probably better off taking your previous character through again, rather than starting afresh, as they're more enjoyable to use when you start to max out your abilities. And there are enough differences in what happens with different character types, and to some extend the story arcs, to warrant this. Plus it's interesting to see how different abilities, in other created Shepards, work out.

Last edited by Jensonjet on 11 Jul 09 9:29 am; edited 1 time in total
Chris W

PostPosted: 10 Jul 09 6:04 pm Reply with quote

adamp105 wrote:
Chris W wrote:

Don't worry, they have. Theres no frame rate problems like in the first one (or at least thats what I've heard, I cudn't say for sure obviously). But it definitely looks a lot better.

Fantastic, I'm glad they revamped the scanning of planets - no more half-assness there! I also hope the shooting aspects are improved in ME2 (my biggest complaint with the first game was the half-hearted shooter combat).

Although, I was impressed with the first game overall, I tired of there being more talking than action. I knew it wasn't supposed to be that kind of game, but I couldn't help but feel it was a missed opportunity for the shooter fans out there who were looking for something a little different, just not too different!

Jensonjet wrote:
Admittedly you're probably better off taking your previous character through again, rather than starting afresh, as they're more enjoyable to use when you start to max out your abilities. And there are enough differences in what happens with characters and to some extend the story to warrant this. Plus it's interesting to see how different abilities in other created Shepards work out.

There lies the rub for me, I seriously don't understand this pre-occupation with changing protagonists in a game series myself. I doubt most gamers like it when it's done, I certainly don't. I'd rather play a new character than being fed some ridiculous BS why he's back to square one power-wise.

Sure, there are ways around that; the D&D Games way for example, but you have to regard shifting power levels (both stat wise, and story wise), between games right from the start of game one to make it somewhat plausible - and I don't think that would work in ME, unless something cataclysmic happens and Shepard is mostly going to deal with enemies stronger than in the whole first game!
Jensonjet
Kudos: 20

PostPosted: 11 Jul 09 2:43 am Reply with quote

Apart from the fact it didn't have a first person view, the combat was excellent. The AI was far better than practically any other shooter I've known. The enemy mostly react intelligently and realistically. Humans and alien species have a sense of self preservation, robots more cavalier in their approach, and the zombie like characters, well dumb, and pretty much equal to your average first person shooter! The improvement in skill and upgrades made a nice notable difference and mean you really needed to be 'trained' in a weapon to use it efficiently.

Complaints about talking bits; complaints about combat; complaints about graphics. Seriously I think it's time to consider playing something else if people have so many problems with the game.
lordirongut
Kudos: 16

PostPosted: 11 Jul 09 10:58 pm Reply with quote

I never really liked ME1 because I felt that the combat was weak and the environments were quite samey. It was technically brilliant but it just didn't entertain me. I will at least give ME2 a go though.
YouGuysRock7
Kudos: 22

PostPosted: 12 Jul 09 7:36 pm Reply with quote

Game looks so sweet! Between this & Alan Wake for game of the year 2010.
crashmer

PostPosted: 13 Jul 09 2:40 am Reply with quote

If you haven't watched the previous videos well this pretty much sums them all up. With all the fuzz going on about the "suicide misson" anyone could guess a possible outcome...not spoilers just hints ^^

Just speculating here but considering that Shepard may die it's possible he might not be around for ME3. Or maybe he will in geth form... Razz

To anyone who hasn't played the first i dare say it's more engaging than the star trek movie. Razz

Anyways, it's nice to see the exploration portion being improved, countless hours to lose right there. The combat looks fantastic, looking foward to some HL2 alike gravity corpse tossing and counter from the AI.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Article Comments All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: