Login to access exclusive gaming content, win competition prizes
and post on our forums. Don't have an account? Create one now!
Why should you join?
Click here for full benefits!
Follow our Twitter feed@RareLtd We must have the same supplier: http://bit.ly/tgAdx
SIGN IN/JOIN UP
GamesForumsCheatsVideo
Sports stars praise Wii Sports Resort | Behind the Sims: Pixie Lott video | Wolfenstein: TWO new trailers | ArmA 2 launches with mini-site | New Dynasty Warriors 6 Empires movie | 46 Brütal Legend screenshots | Hardware sales slow in Japan | Metal Gear Solid on US PSN | 13-minutes of God of War III | Activision boss: "We might have to stop supporting Sony" | New StarCraft II footage | New F1 2009 shots whiz in | Splinter Cell won't come to PS3, says Ubi | BioWare eyes up Wii | New Nintendo downloads | Natal equipped Xbox 360 confirmed | Xbox Originals now 'Games On Demand' | Madballs XBLA - first screens | EA 'focusing on online business' | ODST leads consumer interest after E3 | Stare at Modern Wafare 2 again | Empire: Total War update incoming | Cliff B 'not burned out on Gears' | StarCraft II "aiming" for 2009 | Take-Two eyes 5m BioShock 2 sales
All|PC|PlayStation|Xbox|Nintendo|Download PC Games
Search CVG
Computer And Video Games - The latest gaming news, reviews, previews & movies
Fans push PRO-Left 4 Dead 2 group
View previous topic - View next topic  
DrLucienSanchez
Kudos: 21

PostPosted: 18 Jun 09 12:00 pm Reply with quote

Ha! I was waiting for this...

I wish them luck but I shouldn't imagine that they will garner as much support as the boycott...

If the forums here have taught us anything, it's that people are always far more proactive when critizing or complaining...
Marlonjb
Kudos: 5

PostPosted: 18 Jun 09 12:02 pm Reply with quote

Am I the only one who thinks this entire argument is crap?
nlgenius
Kudos: 29

PostPosted: 18 Jun 09 12:08 pm Reply with quote

That's it, I'm starting a "I am neutral and don't care" group to really stir things up. Oh actually, I don't care that much. Wink
nathar
Kudos: 20

PostPosted: 18 Jun 09 12:19 pm Reply with quote

Apathy - the only choice if you cant be arsed to look for alternatives
china
Kudos: 3

PostPosted: 18 Jun 09 12:21 pm Reply with quote

the best way to boycott the boycott group is to do nothing.
the688

PostPosted: 18 Jun 09 12:22 pm Reply with quote

nlgenius wrote:
That's it, I'm starting a "I am neutral and don't care" group to really stir things up. Oh actually, I don't care that much. Wink

I'm starting a "I don't care if you don't care" group.

I have to seperate two things in my mind. L4D was a great "co-op" experience. It still is. And I do love my zombies. L4D2 will arguably be a much better *game* - but it does seem to abandon some of the classical "zombie-movie-features" for "hazmat suits" and other questionable material. It will no doubt be a great game - it'll just cater less to the "zombie-fans" than to the "let's just have a great game" fans.

I suspect L4D will remain the "purist" game, and L4D2 will appeal more to more gamers. I'm getting the sequel. I just hope they abandon the shitty costumes for the survivors. They look like they've been pulled out of TF2, not the zombie apocalypse. Which, somehow, seems perfectly in step with what the sequel is promising...
casperthedog
Kudos: 19

PostPosted: 18 Jun 09 12:50 pm Reply with quote

Marlonjb wrote:

I agree and think its pointless. Looking at information the game sold 2.5 million copies so far, thats only at retail (not taking in steam numbers, which it usally is in the top of sales) so 30,000 threatening to boycot the next game means absolutly nothing when compared to those who brought it and likly to buy again.
360_Fan

PostPosted: 18 Jun 09 1:26 pm Reply with quote

casperthedog wrote:
Marlonjb wrote:

I agree and think its pointless. Looking at information the game sold 2.5 million copies so far, thats only at retail (not taking in steam numbers, which it usally is in the top of sales) so 30,000 threatening to boycot the next game means absolutly nothing when compared to those who brought it and likly to buy again.

80% of those are rabid ps3 fanboys anyway.
DrRickDagless MD
Kudos: 8

PostPosted: 18 Jun 09 1:27 pm Reply with quote

I'll buy the game if its worth it. Thats the way it goes. Quality over quantity, thats where the real worth is.
humorguy
Kudos: 30

PostPosted: 18 Jun 09 1:30 pm Reply with quote

You'd think this would have been publicized only after this new group had a 1,000 signatures or something? With only 255 sigs, this group is actually validating the boycott group!
philfitt

PostPosted: 18 Jun 09 1:41 pm Reply with quote

I f**king hate the term Fanboy. It makes me want to claw my own face off every time I read it.

I have both consoles. 360 and PS3. I had the 360 first.

I prefer the PS3, not because I am a fanboy but because it is a better machine. It is an all round fantastic media player whereas the 360 is a gaming machine at heart with everything else coming second.

The store comparisons baffle me as well because they are practically the same.

People blame "fanboy" behavior on everything. It is a lazy term and is overused.

Hijack over.
ledickolas
Kudos: 28

PostPosted: 18 Jun 09 1:52 pm Reply with quote

Funny that, I want my console to be a games machine first and foremost.....it's what I bought it for.
philfitt

PostPosted: 18 Jun 09 2:00 pm Reply with quote

I prefer a good all rounder.
ParmaViolet
Kudos: 36

PostPosted: 18 Jun 09 2:41 pm Reply with quote

philfitt wrote:
I prefer a good all rounder.

Ooer, missus....

Laughing
Jensonjet
Kudos: 18

PostPosted: 18 Jun 09 2:50 pm Reply with quote

There's a comment that accompanies many reviews of games that really annoys me. It's the one that says "the game's short and will take you only 6-7 hours to complete". However, when I get the game home and start playing I eventually find it's taken much longer to complete. The difference between the game reviewed and the one I play is down to the fact I'll only play games on the toughest setting and it seems reviewers waste time playing on an easier difficulty!

The difference in combat, obviously I'm talking about shooter games, is phenomenal. Although the tatics used by AI on all difficulties is no doubt identical, the challenge and need for smarter game play and better tatics make the toughest settings far more atmoshperic with a deeper sense of peril.

That said the other day I played through one of the four chapters in Left4Dead with one friend online and we completed it in less than 45 minutes! This was the second hardest difficulty. Perhaps other gamers feel that's an acceptable game length for a full priced game. I happen to think it's utterly disgraceful, practically nearing rip-off status!

While I have (mostly) enjoyed playing Left4Dead I completely sympathise with the outcries of the anti-Left4Dead2 group. I haven't joined it and wouldn't. Clearly I'm not interested in being overcharged for another mod, even though I'm a massive fan of co-op. Fortunately for me there will be several games due around the release of L4D2 so my desperation to play co-op will be satisfied.

The downside to losing customers like myself is that when I enjoy a co-op game I'm usually on it for a year to 18 months. Gamers who continue to play online long after a game's release keep servers inhabited. It's unfortunate some developers don't see the value in looking after hardcore gamers. Valve were apparently a great game developer. All I see is a company desperate for our money.
DrRickDagless MD
Kudos: 8

PostPosted: 18 Jun 09 3:19 pm Reply with quote

What a load of tosh.

If you play a campaign yes it's quick but it's the replay and the constant change in online play which makes it fun. Testing yourself against other teams in versus or co-operating with others in different ways is the main chunk of the game. Thats like complaining about FIFA games because each match only lasts 5mins. It's how you choose play the game and the difference between each round that makes it interesting.

I see Valve as a company, not my friend.
(I bet they wouldn't even like me)
AJB123644
Kudos: 27

PostPosted: 18 Jun 09 3:21 pm Reply with quote

So the saga goes on...

Did Valve respond to the latest demands by the boycott group?

You know this also reminds me of one of those really funny terrorist hostage situations which will all fail when Valve send in a huge bomb haha.
Together we are strong and United we will stand. As PC Gamers come together United we shall be Victorious!
Cernunnos
Kudos: 13

PostPosted: 18 Jun 09 4:02 pm Reply with quote

Jensonjet wrote:
There's a comment that accompanies many reviews of games that really annoys me. It's the one that says "the game's short and will take you only 6-7 hours to complete". However, when I get the game home and start playing I eventually find it's taken much longer to complete. The difference between the game reviewed and the one I play is down to the fact I'll only play games on the toughest setting and it seems reviewers waste time playing on an easier difficulty!

The difference in combat, obviously I'm talking about shooter games, is phenomenal. Although the tatics used by AI on all difficulties is no doubt identical, the challenge and need for smarter game play and better tatics make the toughest settings far more atmoshperic with a deeper sense of peril.

That said the other day I played through one of the four chapters in Left4Dead with one friend online and we completed it in less than 45 minutes! This was the second hardest difficulty. Perhaps other gamers feel that's an acceptable game length for a full priced game. I happen to think it's utterly disgraceful, practically nearing rip-off status!

While I have (mostly) enjoyed playing Left4Dead I completely sympathise with the outcries of the anti-Left4Dead2 group. I haven't joined it and wouldn't. Clearly I'm not interested in being overcharged for another mod, even though I'm a massive fan of co-op. Fortunately for me there will be several games due around the release of L4D2 so my desperation to play co-op will be satisfied.

The downside to losing customers like myself is that when I enjoy a co-op game I'm usually on it for a year to 18 months. Gamers who continue to play online long after a game's release keep servers inhabited. It's unfortunate some developers don't see the value in looking after hardcore gamers. Valve were apparently a great game developer. All I see is a company desperate for our money.

i think reviewers would make a point about playing on Normal.
TescoPeeledPlums
Kudos: 31

PostPosted: 18 Jun 09 5:14 pm Reply with quote

That group sounds like a bunch of shills.
loopy bubbletush
Kudos: 31

PostPosted: 18 Jun 09 6:38 pm Reply with quote

the688 wrote:
I'm starting a "I don't care if you don't care" group.

Oh well, in that case you have left me with no choice but to start a "I don't care if you don't care that I don't care group"

Now shove that in your pipe and smoke it... or not, I don't care. Razz
Hyper WD
Kudos: 3

PostPosted: 19 Jun 09 12:20 am Reply with quote

Both sides are sort of a non-issue now.

Modders are apparently planning on porting the maps from L4D2 to L4D when it comes out for those who don't want to buy the new game.

They can write config files to emulate the Director 2.0 and use the included props and textures from the SDK (which contains most of the necessary files even as a beta).

The only things missing will be the crappy music, slack jawed yokel survivors and the new gimmicky SI.

Sounds good to me. I only want new maps, the rest of the 'repainting' of the game to make it seem 'new' is just window dressing.
SunScramble
Kudos: 35

PostPosted: 19 Jun 09 7:48 am Reply with quote

Hyper WD wrote:
Both sides are sort of a non-issue now.

Modders are apparently planning on porting the maps from L4D2 to L4D when it comes out for those who don't want to buy the new game.

They can write config files to emulate the Director 2.0 and use the included props and textures from the SDK (which contains most of the necessary files even as a beta).

The only things missing will be the crappy music, slack jawed yokel survivors and the new gimmicky SI.

Sounds good to me. I only want new maps, the rest of the 'repainting' of the game to make it seem 'new' is just window dressing.

Thank God for that. It's the hours and hours of community maps that will keep the game going in the long term, Valve can keep their bite-sized $50 expansion pack and stuff it where the sun don't shine as far as most of us are concerned.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Article Comments All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: