Login to access exclusive gaming content, win competition prizes
and post on our forums. Don't have an account? Create one now!
Why should you join?
Click here for full benefits!
Follow our Twitter feed9 New Left 4 Dead 2 shots - http://bit.ly/14e3Y2
SIGN IN/JOIN UP
GamesForumsCheatsVideo
Ashes Cricket Wii shots | New Batman dev diary | Exclusive Left 4 Dead 2 footage | Resi Evil: Darkside Chronicles gameplay trailer | Xbox Live: This week's content | Tecmo Koei: "Please cut the price" of PS3 | Fourth Resi movie next year | Sony: UMD-free PSP was always planned | 2K releases HUGE Steam pack | Sony patents more motion tech | Nintendo downloads - Hanabi festival begins | 9 new Left 4 Dead 2 shots | L4D2 boycott "didn't change our plans at all" | DJ Hero: Two new videos | Official PSN update list | Dante's Inferno - actual gameplay footage | New Final Fantasy game for DS | Alpha Protocol dev diary | Sony ponders Home music/video sharing | ArmA 2 gets dated down under | Nintendo teams with Five for new game show | Battlestations: Pacific gets two DLC packs | Still no PS3 interest from Valve | Left 4 Dead DLC announcement soon | New Conduit trailer
All|PC|PlayStation|Xbox|Nintendo|Download PC Games
Search CVG
Computer And Video Games - The latest gaming news, reviews, previews & movies
L4D2 boycott "didn't change our plans at all"
Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic - View next topic  
voodoocharlie
Kudos: 31

PostPosted: 3 Jul 09 11:47 am Reply with quote

"it's sort of uncommon to be able to get new stuff out that way"

Yeah right, cos Burnout Paradise, Motorstorm, etc etc have never released free DLC.... IDIOT!!!
RumbleThunder
Kudos: 34

PostPosted: 3 Jul 09 11:52 am Reply with quote

I think Valve are taking far too much stick at the moment. They are incredibly developers and one of the only ones left who still have a spring of fun and lighthearted attitude.

Their L4D2 announcement and the lack of PS3 support are being so overexaggerated.
jon_hill987

PostPosted: 3 Jul 09 11:58 am Reply with quote

When will they get it into their skulls that we* didn't care about the DLC? The only problem I have is with the lack of players there will be on Left 4 Dead come the release of the sequel. No amount of DLC is going to fix that, if they release a second game people will play that instead, reducing the players on the both games.

*Some idiots did, perhaps they were the ones screaming loudest so those of us with a legitimate complaint didn't get heard.
StonecoldMC
Kudos: 37

PostPosted: 3 Jul 09 12:04 pm Reply with quote

Yeah Valve, you Bar Stewards!!!

Give us it all for Free!!! Come on, I buoght the Game and I dont want to pay for additional content.

I want it all for nothing!!!

I hope they listen, I am being reasonable am I not?
kimoak
Kudos: 28

PostPosted: 3 Jul 09 12:20 pm Reply with quote

That told the saddo boycott group then.

Those guys are so up their own arses it's unreal.
jon_hill987

PostPosted: 3 Jul 09 12:21 pm Reply with quote

@StonecoldMC: No, you are being one of those idiots I mentioned and have no valid point.
pherik
Kudos: 25

PostPosted: 3 Jul 09 12:25 pm Reply with quote

voodoocharlie wrote:
"it's sort of uncommon to be able to get new stuff out that way"

Yeah right, cos Burnout Paradise, Motorstorm, etc etc have never released free DLC.... IDIOT!!!

He said 'sort of uncommon', he did not say 'no one has ever done it before'.... IDIOT!!!1eleven!
jm2008
Kudos: 12

PostPosted: 3 Jul 09 12:33 pm Reply with quote

Quote:
@StonecoldMC: No, you are being one of those idiots I mentioned and have no valid point.

You should probably try to pick up on the blatant sarcasm in his post.

Last edited by jm2008 on 3 Jul 09 12:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
nb_nmare2

PostPosted: 3 Jul 09 12:33 pm Reply with quote

jon_hill987 wrote:

The fact you didn't recognize such blatant sarcasm for what it is, would suggest that you might want to look a bit closer to home when accusing people of being idiots...
StonecoldMC

PostPosted: 3 Jul 09 12:36 pm Reply with quote

jon_hill987 wrote:

Valve are their own worst enemies, the way they have suported their Games (TF2 for example) in the past means that if all their following Games dont get the exact same support then people will be up in arms.

L4D will still be supported after the release of L4D2, Valve themselves have stated this both for the 360 and PC.

There will also be a 12 month gap in between both editions of the Game , which is now becoming common practise.

It seems that PC Gamers (I dont think many 360 Gamers will have signed the online petition) like a bit of a battle at the moment Blizzard and Valve both say hello. Yes thats right, Valve and Blizzard, 2 of the most respected Developers in the world being told how to mangage their business and products by the masses.

Dont you just love the interent?
ewko117
Kudos: 16

PostPosted: 3 Jul 09 12:42 pm Reply with quote

Yeah Joe pubic, we know you don't like it, we know your not happy, we also know we are stiffing you for full price for another half game, and we know that even if you dont yet, all 30,000 of you moaning F@#ks will still fork out for the next half game ....

We know everyyyyyyttttiiinnngggg!!!!
Giant_Crab

PostPosted: 3 Jul 09 12:57 pm Reply with quote

Joe Pubic has an unfortunate name...
jon_hill987

PostPosted: 3 Jul 09 1:02 pm Reply with quote

I was well aware that it was sarcastic. I said that he was being and idiot. The emphasis on being. The statement made was, sarcastic or not, exactly the sort of statement that made Valve not take the boycott seriously.
jon_hill987

PostPosted: 3 Jul 09 1:05 pm Reply with quote

@StonecoldMC: Yes a 12 month gap in between editions of games is becoming common practise. It doesn't mean we should like it that Valve are becoming the next Activision.
jm2008

PostPosted: 3 Jul 09 1:10 pm Reply with quote

But his comment, in it's sarcasm, was a satire on the people you are calling idiots - ie, he is calling them idiots himself, in a way. So it was kind of pointless to do so to him.
StonecoldMC

PostPosted: 3 Jul 09 1:14 pm Reply with quote

jon_hill987 wrote:
I was well aware that it was sarcastic. I said that he was being and idiot. The emphasis on being. The statement made was, sarcastic or not, exactly the sort of statement that made Valve not take the boycott seriously.

Well I am a Human being so I guess we can agree on something?

Still dont really know what youre trying to say though Confused ?

Last edited by StonecoldMC on 3 Jul 09 1:47 pm; edited 2 times in total
Jensonjet
Kudos: 19

PostPosted: 3 Jul 09 1:19 pm Reply with quote

This is a geniune question... Has a game ever been supported with updates, DLC, whatever, as if it were still current, while at the same time a sequel has appeared?

The 'support' claimed by Valve for the original game seems very much to be a desperate reply to the criticsm. For example, can you imagine Modern Warfare ever getting new maps when the new one's out? Could Forza 2 get a new car pack when 3's out? Will GTA get additional content when the sequel arrives? I've never heard of this before.

I really think the success of Left4Dead, and the ease and speed of creating the game made Valve realise they could milk extra content and make more money selling it as a new game. I think part of this sequel was originally planned as DLC for the first game. I guess this is the difference between those that are upset and those that don't care. On one side people feel cheated, on the other, people don't care and will happily pay �40 for a 3 hour zombie game year on year.
ricflair

PostPosted: 3 Jul 09 1:31 pm Reply with quote

I think releasing new game modes in DLC for free on the 360 is uncommon. That's what he said.
StonecoldMC

PostPosted: 3 Jul 09 1:32 pm Reply with quote

jon_hill987 wrote:
@StonecoldMC: Yes a 12 month gap in between editions of games is becoming common practise. It doesn't mean we should like it that Valve are becoming the next Activision.

I dont thinks Valve are the new Activision and if you think about it long enough, I am sure you will agree too.
DrRickDagless MD
Kudos: 11

PostPosted: 3 Jul 09 1:36 pm Reply with quote

Yes yes Valve becoming the next activision. What a well thought out statement.

That kind of hyperbole makes me want to puke.

Valve have made a desision to release another game a year later. A year. Whats the fuss.

The only reason that this release could be a problem is the fact it might split the number of players available which will be a pain but sadly thats a price you have to pay. Do you really think there would be the same amount of people playing this game in a year considering the speed the industry keeps suppling new content to pry us away from L4D. Hell, they may even find a way to integrate them both online.

The X360 doesn't have the mod support of the PC so the games can't live as long as games like Counter Strike.

Valve are just making desisions based around the current market. Which they have to, their a business.
Willforbes
Kudos: 19

PostPosted: 3 Jul 09 1:44 pm Reply with quote

so they dont care what 30,000 of their customers say? has chet been snorting hydrochloric acid or something? what the f**k is going on
themeteor
Kudos: 23

PostPosted: 3 Jul 09 3:00 pm Reply with quote

WTF seriously wtf is up with you people? Normally when a squeal is announced to a popular game people are happy . Rolling Eyes Then you get free DLC (I refuse to buy DLC due to my own views but anyway...) which you can't expect to get. You paid for the game not stuff that hasn't been made yet.

This sort of stuff just annoys me.
Giant_Crab

PostPosted: 3 Jul 09 4:17 pm Reply with quote

It's because people like to complain.
darezor
Kudos: 17

PostPosted: 3 Jul 09 4:21 pm Reply with quote

rabble rabble rabble
nb_nmare2

PostPosted: 3 Jul 09 5:20 pm Reply with quote

Jensonjet wrote:
This is a geniune question... Has a game ever been supported with updates, DLC, whatever, as if it were still current, while at the same time a sequel has appeared?

If by 'updates' you mean simple patches (i.e. fixing bugs and gameplay issues), then yes, many developers have done this. Valve, for example, have released several updates for the original Half-life since Half-life 2 was published.

If you're talking about more substantial content, then this has also occured numerous times. The earliest example I can think of is the Ultimate Doom, which contained an enitre extra episode for Doom 1, and was released six months after Doom 2.

Last edited by nb_nmare2 on 3 Jul 09 5:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Article Comments All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: