Login to access exclusive gaming content, win competition prizes
and post on our forums. Don't have an account? Create one now!
Why should you join?
Click here for full benefits!
GamesForumsCheatsOut Now
New Conduit trailer | Sega Mega Drive... re-released?! | Sega releases Bayonetta shots | Nintendo isn't phasing out DS Lite | Virtual On XBLA official | 20 Terminator Salvation shots | GameCube Resi remake coming to Wii | New Fable II DLC coming | First Resi 5 "Versus" shots | Sony: "Blu-ray will always be part of PS3" | Army of Two: The 40th Day revealed | Fallout 3: The Pitt - new shots | Final MadWorld "sports" trailer | Resident Evil 5 storms Japanese chart | Crytek unveils CryEngine for consoles | Pikmin 2 and DK Jungle beat for Wii | Mid Club DLC slips | Tecmo promises GDC unveiling | Call of Duty: WaW map pack dated | Miyamoto: GameCube "made me very sad" | Edge 200 on sale now | New Metal Gear Solid Touch screens | Rebellion's odds narrow for Battlefront 3 deal | Excitebots: Trick Racing movie | Dynasty Warriors: Strikeforce PSP dated
All|PC|PlayStation|Xbox|Nintendo|Games on Demand
Search CVG
Computer And Video Games - The latest gaming news, reviews, previews & movies
Wii price to rise?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic - View next topic  
_Marty_
Kudos: 35

PostPosted: 11 Mar 09 3:56 pm Reply with quote

Err...
While the other consoles slash prices in a bid to attract custom, the Wii, seemingly impervious to the economic climate, gets a price hike!?!
What the hell? Anyone else think this is backward?
palancas7
Kudos: 30

PostPosted: 11 Mar 09 3:59 pm Reply with quote

Blame your economy.
Other companies have already started doing that, which is logical.
ricflair
Kudos: 29

PostPosted: 11 Mar 09 4:02 pm Reply with quote

This sucks.

Nintendo are already asking a lot based on the costs. They should suck it up and if anything drop the price. You can get an Elite for the same price in some places!
kazpah
Kudos: 10

PostPosted: 11 Mar 09 4:03 pm Reply with quote

Other companies aren't games companies, this is totally unprecedented in the industry. Apple may up trade prices, but their RRPs have stayed the same - meaning that if retailers increase the price everyone will just buy direct from Apple instead.

Plus the wii is already overpriced tat. Making it even more overpriced will hopefully prompt people think twice before buying it.
Leders
Kudos: 13

Backward yes, but if it means i can flog the little box 'o' kak for a higher price than i paid for it, then i'm all for it!
seancuk23
Kudos: 30

Has anybody let them know that we are in a deep recession! They deserve to lose trade if they do this and will they lower the trade price when the pound picks up again? No they won't, people are struggling enough why does this have to happen now, its like kicking families in the balls, who have not got the money to go on holiday and now entertainment at home is being hiked up, Sorry Nintendo but you make enough money don't be greedy and that goes for other companies willing to let families go right to the wall!
Dajmin
Kudos: 37

PostPosted: 11 Mar 09 4:04 pm Reply with quote

You know what I blame?

People willing to pay more for something. If nobody buys it at the raised price, they'll lower it again. But guess what? People will. Because they're morons.
The_KFD_Case
Kudos: 27

PostPosted: 11 Mar 09 4:07 pm Reply with quote

I agree with all the of the first comments.

In a pound-for-pound games machine contest between the 360 and the Wii I'd pick the 360 any day of the week. Then again, since the Wii went after the casual mainstream market perhaps there are enough people in that group who are unaware of what the other consoles offer and at what prices to allow this move to succeed for Nintendo? On the other hand it might also be the catalyst for the beginning of the end of the Wii's so far phenomenal domination.
The_KFD_Case

PostPosted: 11 Mar 09 4:08 pm Reply with quote

seancuk23 wrote:
Has anybody let them know that we are in a deep recession! They deserve to lose trade if they do this and will they lower the trade price when the pound picks up again? No they won't, people are struggling enough why does this have to happen now, its like kicking families in the balls, who have not got the money to go on holiday and now entertainment at home is being hiked up, Sorry Nintendo but you make enough money don't be greedy and that goes for other companies willing to let families go right to the wall!

Right on. This is why businesses need third party regulatory bodies to keep an eye on them because it's not in the nature of businesses to keep themselves under restraint if more profit can be made. I liken it to sharks smelling blood = frenzy attack.
Nomad0404
Kudos: 10

PostPosted: 11 Mar 09 4:11 pm Reply with quote

Everyone should get a 360 instead if the price of a Wii goes up, that's just plain insanity it should be dropping to �99.99 RRP.
leefear1
Kudos: 31

PostPosted: 11 Mar 09 4:16 pm Reply with quote

seancuk23 wrote:

While I can understand the reason for increasing the price, I can't understand why on earth over the last number of years we have had a very strong pound and yet were still charged more for electronics than in the US and Japan! I know we have higher tax rates but they don't even come close to explaining the vast difference between what we often pay here compared to the US (quite often double the price in the past).

So in my opinion these companies can't have it both ways.

kazpah wrote:
Other companies aren't games companies, this is totally unprecedented in the industry. Apple may up trade prices, but their RRPs have stayed the same - meaning that if retailers increase the price everyone will just buy direct from Apple instead.

Erm Nintendo have also left the RRP the same.

kazpah wrote:

Plus the wii is already overpriced tat. Making it even more overpriced will hopefully prompt people think twice before buying it.

Spoken like a true gamer Rolling Eyes
leefear1

PostPosted: 11 Mar 09 4:20 pm Reply with quote

The_KFD_Case wrote:
seancuk23 wrote:

Right on. This is why businesses need third party regulatory bodies to keep an eye on them because it's not in the nature of businesses to keep themselves under restraint if more profit can be made. I liken it to sharks smelling blood = frenzy attack.

However, Home electronics are luxory goods and as such no one needs to purchase them. In a capitalist society these types of goods are simply subject to the rule of supply and demand. If people are not willing to purchase at the retail price then the company either drops their price or sells no products. Simple. The only regulation needed is to make sure that companies do not cheat the supply and demand system by price fixing etc.
Rens11
Kudos: 21

PostPosted: 11 Mar 09 4:26 pm Reply with quote

they must have lowered the costs over the last 2 and a bit years enough to offest the strong yen, there just being greedy trying to keep the same profit margins! im sure there still making profit on them even now!
milky_joe

PostPosted: 11 Mar 09 4:30 pm Reply with quote

"While Nintendo will not up Wii's recommended retail price of �179.99"

So that means any price hike is entirely determined by the individual retailers...
_Marty_

PostPosted: 11 Mar 09 4:34 pm Reply with quote

Rens11 wrote:
they must have lowered the costs over the last 2 and a bit years enough to offest the strong yen, there just being greedy trying to keep the same profit margins! im sure there still making profit on them even now!

I'd say that was a pretty fair assumption...
Probably trying to offset the cost of a 'not entirely successful' N64/Gamecube...
benstevens
Kudos: 26

PostPosted: 11 Mar 09 4:35 pm Reply with quote

Cant really see the price going up but if it does then no one should buy it!!

Simples.... no?
leefear1

PostPosted: 11 Mar 09 4:35 pm Reply with quote

_Marty_ wrote:
Rens11 wrote:

I'd say that was a pretty fair assumption...
Probably trying to offset the cost of a 'not entirely successful' N64/Gamecube...

They made a ton of money from both the N64 and the Gamecube.
cirej2000
Kudos: 15

PostPosted: 11 Mar 09 4:37 pm Reply with quote

Pretty lame move. But that's what they gotta do I guess to keep the shareholders happy. Not meeting profit goals means unhappy shareholders and unhappy shareholders means lowered spending...and that means fewer good games (I mean how much lower can Nintendo go after the last 8 months?) or fewer people.

Glad I have a Wii already. Then again, I'm not in the UK so this wouldn't affect me.

I can't help but chuckle at all the people still trying to play the pound for pound game with the Wii vs the HD consoles. Especially when you consider how cheaply made the 360 was initially (still?). Fortunately, my 360 has never experienced the RROD in two years and counting (knock on silicon).
WHERESMYMONKEY
Kudos: 29

PostPosted: 11 Mar 09 4:38 pm Reply with quote

When the wii was first released it was substancially cheaper than the competition. the only reason it hasn't had a proce drop is that its sold so bloody well, If the 360 had continued to sell as well as the wii has at its original price of �300 then they wouldn't of dropped the price. its simple supply and demand.

Only a fool would drop the price of something that was selling well at its current price. when the wii stops selling so well it'll get a price cut not before.

Granted nintendo probably should of taken the extra production costs on the chin and this may be detrimental to the machine in the long run, but we'll have to see about that.
Dajmin
Kudos: 37

PostPosted: 11 Mar 09 4:42 pm Reply with quote

The Wii has never been a pound-for-pound contender for the 360/PS3 spot though; it's about doing something different, not just going for brute power.

I had respect for that, and it was the very reason I got one at launch. Sadly that "doing something different" gave way to "doing the same thing over and over in every game" which is why I got rid of it. If some of the newer titles had come out a few months earlier I might've stayed on board.

But, that's a little off-topic. After 2 years, can you name anything other product that warrants a price RISE? I certainly can't think of anything.
It's what we call "cashing in" because they know people want them and will pay whatever it takes.
cian84
Kudos: 24

PostPosted: 11 Mar 09 4:49 pm Reply with quote

Prices in the Eurozone seem to be dropping in the last few months. I get regular marketing e-mails from komplett.ie, for example, who always seem to be promoting the Wii. You can get one there for �229 now. If this keeps up, you might see more and more people in the UK buying their Wiis from abroad, dealing in Euros.
_Marty_

PostPosted: 11 Mar 09 4:49 pm Reply with quote

Dajmin wrote:
But, that's a little off-topic. After 2 years, can you name anything other product that warrants a price RISE? I certainly can't think of anything.
It's what we call "cashing in" because they know people want them and will pay whatever it takes.

This is largely my opinion on the matter.
There is no need for a price hike, AT ALL, aside from greed wrapped up in a fairly tenuous 'weak pound' reasoning...
svensk101
Kudos: 26

PostPosted: 11 Mar 09 4:55 pm Reply with quote

Blame Gordon Brown, not Nintendo. Actually no, blame Ninty a little, I'm sure they could have absorbed these costs. Thing is, when the pound improves, I bet they won't be as quick to drop the prices. The Wii is worth it at it's current price but any increase is ridiculous.

f**k man, I could do with some good Wii news after this and the RE letdown.
spooney100
Kudos: 34

PostPosted: 11 Mar 09 5:01 pm Reply with quote

palancas7 wrote:
Blame your economy.
Other companies have already started doing that, which is logical.

What bullshit! Have MS and Sony increased their prices? No. You're talking crap, its just Nintendo getting greedy. When the economy was booming only 2 years back and the pound was very strong did we see a price fall in any consumer electronics? No again! Stop talking s**t and thinking because your consoles so 'popular' you can inrease the price and blame sterling Nintendo. Take the rough with the smooth like everyone else.
kimoak

PostPosted: 11 Mar 09 5:08 pm Reply with quote

Upon checking the exchange rate this morning...

1.00 GBP = 1.37902 USD

When I visited my brother in May last year it was a shade over 1.91 USD. The pound really is a giberring mess of a currency right now.

I have a Wii already so any price rise doesn't bother me... well actually it does. Nintendo are taking the p**s. Sorry big N, you need a slap. Greedy gits.

Last edited by kimoak on 11 Mar 09 5:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Article Comments All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: