Login to access exclusive gaming content, win competition prizes
and post on our forums. Don't have an account? Create one now!
Why should you join?
Click here for full benefits!
Follow our Twitter feedOffended Waitrose cheese-counter lady by suggesting she was more of a Dairylea lady...
SIGN IN/JOIN UP
GamesForumsCheatsOut Now
Red Alert 3: Uprising movies | New SuperCar Challenge trailer | Singularity: New shots, details | Dawn of War II: Space Marines video | God of War III explodes in your face | 20 Persona 4 screens | Games industry grows despite poor economy | New Dragon Age details | Harmonix sues Konami over Rock Revolution | Rock Band: Ten million shipped | First details on Fallout 3: The Pitt | Nintendo: We're driving industry growth | PSN update: Buy Flower now | January: Xbox Live's "biggest month ever" | Microsoft opens high street stores | "DQ delay could affect Final Fantasy XIII" | PSP: 50 million sold | EU: Games can be good for children | Activision: Wii to outsell PS3 and 360 combined | F.E.A.R. 2 Launch Day: Artificial Intelligence | Square Enix delays Dragon Quest IX | 19 SuperCar Challenge screens | Dante's Inferno: First details | New Lost and Damned trailer | Midway US files for Bankruptcy
All|PC|PlayStation|Xbox|Nintendo|Games on Demand
Search CVG
Computer And Video Games - The latest gaming news, reviews, previews & movies
Games industry grows despite poor economy
View previous topic - View next topic  
bmaindj
Kudos: 28

PostPosted: 13 Feb 09 5:11 pm Reply with quote

100+ posts of PS3 is doomed crap no doubt.

PS3 is the most expensive console on the market so if any console will be affected it's the PS3. The whole industry is still booming even in this current financial climate. People will always generally have money for some small goods purchases like games music dvd's etc but with the latter two increasingly being downloaded illegally console games are the last area which is tough to hack.

09 like the last two years will be a strong year for games, with devs constantly raising the bar on graphics and gameplay!!!
Tonyb
Kudos: 33

PostPosted: 13 Feb 09 5:26 pm Reply with quote

This is hardly surprising though!

As money gets tighter, people stay in more to save money and splash out more on entertainment at home, presumably explaining why Sky, the games industry and even the fast food home delivery chains are currently experiencing growth.
J1GSAW
Kudos: 17

PostPosted: 13 Feb 09 5:28 pm Reply with quote

RIP SONY! thats what they get for releasing a £300 low fat grill!

Killzone2 FTW though Laughing
Mogs
Kudos: 35

PostPosted: 13 Feb 09 5:32 pm Reply with quote

Do not want
eltonbird
Kudos: 20

PostPosted: 13 Feb 09 5:33 pm Reply with quote

Jesus, CVG is so biased!

How dare they write a news story based on actual Facts that shows the PS3 in a bad light!

Any impartial website would surely do the decent thing and massage the figures so it looks like the PS3 is equally popular!

This is outrageous!
jonboy1969
Kudos: 11

PostPosted: 13 Feb 09 6:02 pm Reply with quote

And so starts the anti-ps3 comments, too expensive(yawn),no games(yawn).
FlimFlam
Kudos: 10

PostPosted: 13 Feb 09 6:07 pm Reply with quote

I'm not going to say PS3 is doomed. I will say though, that every time I meet someone or pop round a friends, or a friend of a friends, they have an Xbox. I remember it used to be everyone has a Playstation, anywhere you went, a Playstation was standard. Now it's Xbox. Microsoft have done a really good job of getting their console noticed, and out there, and I don't think anyone can deny that. Whats more, they have done it by having a strong line up of quality software, and for the msot part, by giving gamers what they want.

Sony are a little bit like dev's Pandemic... Have done some great stuff in the past, but haven't quite got to grips with this generation yet. It's no surprise they came off worst. Whats more, they don't really seem to be listening to gamers.

I have 60+ games on my Xbox. On my PS3 I have 3. That tells a story in my book.

I do however think PS3 will pick up this year. Now... Let the flame wars commence!
lonewolf2002
Kudos: 34

PostPosted: 13 Feb 09 6:10 pm Reply with quote

eltonbird wrote:
Jesus, CVG is so biased!

How dare they write a news story based on actual Facts that shows the PS3 in a bad light!

Any impartial website would surely do the decent thing and massage the figures so it looks like the PS3 is equally popular!

This is outrageous!

Ah but someone will come along and say those figures have been mis-interpreted, and CVG just don't know how to read the data.

(not aimed at eltonbird) None of the consoles are doomed they have all sold healthily (the Wii is just being greedy now Razz ) roll on the rest of 2009 for some seriously good releases.
360 Lon3Wolf2002
PSN lone_WOLF2002
lonewolf2002

PostPosted: 13 Feb 09 6:11 pm Reply with quote

FlimFlam wrote:
I'm not going to say PS3 is doomed. I will say though, that every time I meet someone or pop round a friends, or a friend of a friends, they have an Xbox. I remember it used to be everyone has a Playstation, anywhere you went, a Playstation was standard. Now it's Xbox. Microsoft have done a really good job of getting their console noticed, and out there, and I don't think anyone can deny that. Whats more, they have done it by having a strong line up of quality software, and for the msot part, by giving gamers what they want.

Sony are a little bit like dev's Pandemic... Have done some great stuff in the past, but haven't quite got to grips with this generation yet. It's no surprise they came off worst. Whats more, they don't really seem to be listening to gamers.

I have 60+ games on my Xbox. On my PS3 I have 3. That tells a story in my book.

I do however think PS3 will pick up this year. Now... Let the flame wars commence!

Now you've done it, seriously though I'll add that so far the 360 has had more exclusive that I favour (self confessed JRPG fanboy) although 2009 does have a lot more PS3 exclusives I am interested in than previous years. I also try and get multi-plat games across both consoles now.
360 Lon3Wolf2002
PSN lone_WOLF2002
lonewolf2002

PostPosted: 13 Feb 09 6:16 pm Reply with quote

J1GSAW wrote:

I have been using mine as a bread bin.
360 Lon3Wolf2002
PSN lone_WOLF2002
ted1138

PostPosted: 13 Feb 09 6:16 pm Reply with quote

It seems that online play could effect what games people buy(as well as systems). For example, new console buyers will buy the games(and consoles) that their friends already play, so they can team up online(COD4/360 comes to mind). Confused
J1GSAW
Kudos: 17

PostPosted: 13 Feb 09 6:19 pm Reply with quote

lonewolf2002 wrote:
J1GSAW wrote:

does the power of the cell make the bread taste better? sure makes bacon sweeter Laughing
lonewolf2002

PostPosted: 13 Feb 09 6:24 pm Reply with quote

J1GSAW wrote:
lonewolf2002 wrote:
J1GSAW wrote:

does the power of the cell make the bread taste better? sure makes bacon sweeter Laughing

8x better, but I have to use gold plated bread. Serious question for tech minded folks, how does intels I7 range compare against the cell.
360 Lon3Wolf2002
PSN lone_WOLF2002
lonewolf2002

PostPosted: 13 Feb 09 6:27 pm Reply with quote

ted1138 wrote:
It seems that online play could effect what games people buy(as well as systems). For example, new console buyers will buy the games(and consoles) that their friends already play, so they can team up online(COD4/360 comes to mind). Confused

True, although I think multiple console owning is getting bigger too.
360 Lon3Wolf2002
PSN lone_WOLF2002
Tonyb

PostPosted: 13 Feb 09 6:30 pm Reply with quote

J1GSAW wrote:
lonewolf2002 wrote:
J1GSAW wrote:

It doesn't at the moment, but it will be "addressed" with firmware update 15.58!
SpoonyRedMage
Kudos: 8

PostPosted: 13 Feb 09 7:19 pm Reply with quote

Wow, that's good news(except for Sony). But I'm sure the PS3 will have a short surge later this month but it seems like the only people looking to buy KZ2 are people who already own the PS3 so may be not.

Anyway, I'm glad Games are doing well, I just hope things would be a bit lower priced. It's a very costly hobby.
smithster118
Kudos: 16

PostPosted: 13 Feb 09 7:45 pm Reply with quote

PS3 price cut WAH WAH WAH

They are still making a loss on each console, so why cut the price, they would be making EVEN MORE of a loss

You get what you pay for, and £300 is well worth it
Mmmmgrolsch
Kudos: 9

PostPosted: 13 Feb 09 7:52 pm Reply with quote

Well i own 30+ games for my ps3 and just halo and lost odysee for my 360, means f**k all. Just means i prefer my ps3 and you prefer your xbox thats whhy you got more games for ya 360. p.s. my ps3 is online every day and never gets untouched. So rant over
your comment = pointless
ricflair
Kudos: 28

PostPosted: 13 Feb 09 8:38 pm Reply with quote

Mmmmgrolsch wrote:
Well i own 30+ games for my ps3 and just halo and lost odysee for my 360, means f**k all. Just means i prefer my ps3 and you prefer your xbox thats whhy you got more games for ya 360. p.s. my ps3 is online every day and never gets untouched. So rant over
your comment = pointless

His comment = his opinion. It's what most forums are for!

I personally don't know why people bother with second consoles when they have a couple of games and barely play them, especially when they then bitch about them (I know you didn't bitch, just saying!).
lonewolf2002

PostPosted: 13 Feb 09 8:57 pm Reply with quote

Tonyb wrote:
J1GSAW wrote:
lonewolf2002 wrote:
J1GSAW wrote:

It doesn't at the moment, but it will be "addressed" with firmware update 15.58!

Ooooohhh whens that out.
360 Lon3Wolf2002
PSN lone_WOLF2002
voad
Kudos: 26

PostPosted: 13 Feb 09 9:34 pm Reply with quote

Can we really say that the industry is truly growing? When stories of game studios closing their doors are on the front page twice a week and bigger dev houses are swallowing smaller ones whole all the time.
stormchasing1000
Kudos: 24

PostPosted: 13 Feb 09 9:44 pm Reply with quote

Those Ds figures will soon be replaced by DSi figure i reckon,should be another big sellar,although it needs a game from nintendo built up using all its new features.
cjw101
Kudos: 42

PostPosted: 14 Feb 09 5:33 pm Reply with quote

smithster118 wrote:
PS3 price cut WAH WAH WAH

They are still making a loss on each console, so why cut the price, they would be making EVEN MORE of a loss

You get what you pay for, and £300 is well worth it

Because if they sell more PS3s, there'll be more people out there to buy PS3 games - which is what they *do* make money from...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Article Comments All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: