Login to access exclusive gaming content, win competition prizes
and post on our forums. Don't have an account? Create one now!
Why should you join?
Click here for full benefits!
Follow our Twitter feedPenny Arcade on CVG / Killzone comments: http://www.penny-arcade.com/
SIGN IN/JOIN UP
GamesForumsCheatsOut Now
CoD 5 PC patched today | Animal Crossing gets DLC | New Metroid game teased | Punisher: No Mercy screens, date | Naka's action game turned into Let's Tap | New Transformers game revealed | New Ghostbusters video | Sony: No PS4 any time soon | Need for Speed Online in testing next month | Blizzard not attending E3 2009 | 10 Resi 5 screens look superb | Free PES '09 download | Follow CVG on Twitter! | DSi will be pricier than DS | Street Fighter IV DLC detailed | CoD: Modern Warfare 2 teased | Iwata: Wii Music has underperformed | New Resistance: Retribution screens | THQ gets digital | Warner buys Snowblind | THQ to cut 600 staff | Penumbra Collection trailer | 13 Rise of the Argonauts screens | New House of the Dead: Overkill video | Coronation Street on DS - no joke
All|PC|PlayStation|Xbox|Nintendo|Games on Demand
Search CVG
Computer And Video Games - The latest gaming news, reviews, previews & movies
L4D Survival Pack: New mode, campaigns revealed
Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic - View next topic  
ricflair
Kudos: 28

PostPosted: 5 Feb 09 7:12 pm Reply with quote

So is that why prices have dropped from £40 in loads of places?
Djstar
Kudos: 2

PostPosted: 5 Feb 09 7:46 pm Reply with quote

Idea Well yesterday HMV have placed Left 4 Dead on order for the PS3... 5th June 2009 and this post says there releasing L4D: Survival Pack aswell in spring... Spring is around June time right... Need I say no more Question Rolling Eyes
CVG Gav
CVG Staff

PostPosted: 5 Feb 09 8:01 pm Reply with quote

Did you see this yesterday also?
http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=207384
michaelc0001
Kudos: 3

PostPosted: 5 Feb 09 9:12 pm Reply with quote

In my world, June is in the middle of Summer. Buy a calender.
ding333
Kudos: 15

PostPosted: 5 Feb 09 9:40 pm Reply with quote

just to clarify. Pc players wont have to pay to get the new game mode and maps right?

Come on valve dont you screw us now.
steve_2003
Kudos: 34

PostPosted: 5 Feb 09 9:45 pm Reply with quote

Sold out earlier today and currently awaiting more stock, but Play.com are selling the Xbox 360 version of "Left 4 Dead" for £24.99 at the moment. Very Happy
Willforbes
Kudos: 18

PostPosted: 5 Feb 09 10:11 pm Reply with quote

dude valve will not charge pc users for dlc, they never have done and they never will. we are their love children and they will hug us forever, while turning their head every now and then to snarl at console gamer rejects. pc gamers deserve the best, and valve will serve us the best.
ledickolas
Kudos: 26

PostPosted: 5 Feb 09 10:17 pm Reply with quote

After Fable 2's shoddy dlc I'm not paying 800 pts for a game mode and content that had no reason not to be on the disk in the first place.

C'mon Valve you're known for your respect to your fans, don't become like all these other c**ts.

It's all very well blaming Microsoft for pricing, it just means it's up to you, the developer to add the value.
yuheji
Kudos: 5

PostPosted: 5 Feb 09 11:51 pm Reply with quote

I believe I read somewhere that Valve doesn't have a choice when it comes to updates for the Xbox 360. Microsoft is the one that makes the gamers pay, not Valve, which is why Valve decided to bundle all the updates together so that players will get more bang for their buck. Valve initially wanted updates and DLC to be free for all their games, which is why it is free on the PC.
Beanbee
Kudos: 15

PostPosted: 6 Feb 09 12:35 am Reply with quote

They have no reason to charge xbox360 users and not PC users, baring the obvious idiot tax. MS has been in control of the patching of the game so far so its hardly a stretch to assume they will be in charge of any DLC.

PS3 will take a longer time than June. Their cell CPU system is very different from XBOX360/PC which are very similar to code for (The XBOX is just a mini, low powered PC).
altitude2k
Kudos: 24

PostPosted: 6 Feb 09 9:16 am Reply with quote

Beanbee wrote:
PS3 will take a longer time than June. Their cell CPU system is very different from XBOX360/PC which are very similar to code for (The XBOX is just a mini, low powered PC).

But they have already developed the Source engine for the PS3 in the form of the Orange Box - so it's not hard to believe it'll be out on the PS3 shortly.
dead_head1
Kudos: 27

PostPosted: 6 Feb 09 10:01 am Reply with quote

Quote:

well tbh, if that new book is anything to go buy both ps3 and 360 processors are more similar than we think, the 360 is a tweaked Cell processor.
WHERESMYMONKEY

PostPosted: 6 Feb 09 10:15 am Reply with quote

i think its more to do with how the two machines are set up.

Not entirely sure how it works but the 360 works pretty much identically to a pc. It loads everything in one big whack, Pretty much tried and tested way of processing stuff making it easier to develop for.

I think the PS3 does lots of little jobs at the same time. In theory its a really good idea but in practice its a nightmare to code games for. Really good for video streaming and audio though.
AJB123644

PostPosted: 6 Feb 09 10:15 am Reply with quote

I agree with various other posters taht Microsoft are the ones making Xbox users pay for DLC. As someone else said Valve has always wanted DLC to be free. They did not add the other content because they probably did not know how the Versus mode would take off. Plus this way the game gets to stay more fresh for longer. If the DLC was free (blame Microsoft's Xobx division for it not being so) then people would not be complaining that they had so called left content out of the game to make money later.
Together we are strong and United we will stand. As PC Gamers come together United we shall be Victorious!
pishers
Kudos: 28

PostPosted: 6 Feb 09 10:18 am Reply with quote

dead_head1 wrote:
Quote:

well tbh, if that new book is anything to go buy both ps3 and 360 processors are more similar than we think, the 360 is a tweaked Cell processor.

is it really? i thought the 360 cpu has no spu's (CELL has 7 or 8 i think) just 3 powerpc cores that can execute 2 threads simultaneously. i could be wrong but you are right with respect to the 360 cpu being different to PC's but the 360 runs some version of Windows.
ledickolas

PostPosted: 6 Feb 09 10:22 am Reply with quote

They didn't add the versus content because they didn't know how it would take off???

Uh? Sorry but that just doesn't make any sense.
Okay so Microsoft is in charge of payment for DLC, we all know that, all the more reason to put the missing maps on in the first place.

I may just be a whining old git, but I can't believe I'm the only one with a problem for this.

This DLC malarkey needs to be more closely scrutinised by the watchdogs, because I'm not getting ripped off again.

For the same price I just got Beyond Good And Evil, which I finally found after 4 years of looking.
ledickolas

PostPosted: 6 Feb 09 10:24 am Reply with quote

If it's only 400 pts then it won't be a problem but 800 pts is just way to much for missing content and an extra game mode.
Mogs
Kudos: 35

PostPosted: 6 Feb 09 10:52 am Reply with quote

ledickolas wrote:
They didn't add the versus content because they didn't know how it would take off???

Uh? Sorry but that just doesn't make any sense.
Okay so Microsoft is in charge of payment for DLC, we all know that, all the more reason to put the missing maps on in the first place.

I may just be a whining old git, but I can't believe I'm the only one with a problem for this.

This DLC malarkey needs to be more closely scrutinised by the watchdogs, because I'm not getting ripped off again.

For the same price I just got Beyond Good And Evil, which I finally found after 4 years of looking.

Valve are entirely blameless I'm afraid. It's M$ alone that have put the Con in Downloadable Content. Problem is there's a lot of docile mugs out there that just lap it up so they continue to get away with it.

As a PC gamer, I don't have that problem.
WHERESMYMONKEY

PostPosted: 6 Feb 09 11:15 am Reply with quote

Damn you MS trying to be a business i thought that gaming was run by charities. Curse you...

Come on guys Valve have to pay to have it hosted on live. Its simple as that. However, I don't entirely understand why Valve don't just include some of this content in title updates and small dlc packs for free.

I think its a little bit of smoke and mirrors from both parties as Square have been releaseing a steady stream of extra challenges for Last remanant for free and the older map packs for halo 3 and gears are now also free.

Valve make great games butb they've still got to pay the bills. If you want it, then buy it. If not than don't. simple as.

I thought knothole island was worth 800pts btw. It took my about 4 hours to finish and gave me a load of cool new stuff for my character and my 'best friend' returned.
Mogs
Kudos: 35

PostPosted: 6 Feb 09 12:00 pm Reply with quote

WHERESMYMONKEY wrote:
Damn you MS trying to be a business i thought that gaming was run by charities. Curse you...

Come on guys Valve have to pay to have it hosted on live. Its simple as that. However, I don't entirely understand why Valve don't just include some of this content in title updates and small dlc packs for free.

I think its a little bit of smoke and mirrors from both parties as Square have been releaseing a steady stream of extra challenges for Last remanant for free and the older map packs for halo 3 and gears are now also free.

Valve make great games butb they've still got to pay the bills. If you want it, then buy it. If not than don't. simple as.

I thought knothole island was worth 800pts btw. It took my about 4 hours to finish and gave me a load of cool new stuff for my character and my 'best friend' returned.

You sucker. Buy into M$'s propaganda hook, line & sinker.
CrispyLog
Kudos: 32

PostPosted: 6 Feb 09 12:00 pm Reply with quote

The fact that it actually has a name, 'The Survival Pack' means that it will probably cost money rather than just being a free update. A real shame if it just adds a game mode and allows versus on Death Toll and Dead Air, with no extra campaigns.
FlimFlam
Kudos: 9

PostPosted: 6 Feb 09 1:37 pm Reply with quote

LOL how did this thread turn into an MS bashing session?

I'm surprised no one has baulked at the fact this DLC is utter crap.

The game came with only 4 scenario's to begin with, which was lean but the game was so sweet we still lapped it up. Now the DLC announcement tells us there is a new mode, and PC owners get the obligatory level editor.

Where are the new scenario's? Where are the new weapons? Hell, a couple new boss infected? This is a total rip, even more so for 360 owners.

Bleat all you like about MS's pricing, Valve were the ones who only gave us 4 scenario's in the first place, and are now giving us some tatty DLC that doesn't really give us anything new. Price or no price, it doesn't even sound like it's worth a download.
altitude2k
Kudos: 24

PostPosted: 6 Feb 09 3:21 pm Reply with quote

There should be a new campaign where you have to fight your way through North London, culminating in a stand-off in a pub awaiting the arrival of the military.

Win.
JimiTheSaint
Kudos: 18

PostPosted: 6 Feb 09 3:26 pm Reply with quote

The moaning about DLC is as pointless and puerile as the "My Xbox is better than your Playstation" row. If you don't like it then exercise your ultimate right as a consumer and DON'T BUY IT! Rather than thinking your opinion actually matters by putting it on here. One day hoepfully, these comment forums will become a place of well thought out comments and not the sewer of willy-waving fan boys that it has become.

A lot of people here need to take a deep breath and think about what they are getting so worked up about. I think if you look at it, and yourself, for a few minutes you'll realise how stupid you can sound sometimes.
ledickolas

PostPosted: 6 Feb 09 3:43 pm Reply with quote

It's all very well taking the moral high ground but that's what these forum threads are for: to respond to the aforementioned news.

No I will not be buying it and yes I'm fully entitled to moan about something I see as not acceptable business practice.

As someone stated above, the game was lean on content in the first place and to charge for a game mode and missing content that would've been on the disc last gen is totally unacceptable. It's Microsoft's fault for charging for these content light DLC but it's Valve's idea in the first place to do the download when they could've easily put it on the disc. We all know that DLC is produced hand in hand with the main game now and we can't do anything about it.

I know, why don't I just not buy anything and not moan and let it all wash over me like an ignorant drone? That's what everyone else does isn't it....silly me.

I won't buy it but there are many retards that will keep getting it cos the new dashboard tells them to.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Article Comments All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: