The Chronicle of Higher Education
Forums
April 17, 2008, 09:24:49 PM *
Welcome, Guest. To post on these forums, please login or register.

Login with your Chronicle username and password
Highlights: Join a discussion about the academic job market in Canada.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 1491 1492 [1493] 1494 1495 ... 1698
  Print  
Author Topic: Lonely Hearts Club  (Read 782276 times)
elsie

View Profile
« Reply #22380 on: February 01, 2008, 12:37:10 PM »

It's not a date, but in my continuing effort to get out of the house, I'm joining a colleague, his wife and two Japanese visitors on an excursion to a Bluegrass jam.

"Time keeps on slippin' slippin' slippin' into the future." -- Steve Miller
illuminata
Distinguished Senior Member

Sneak, snark, snuk.

View Profile
« Reply #22381 on: February 01, 2008, 01:04:33 PM »

I'm going out with colleagues tonight for a beer, then tomorrow Bleu is due to arrive for frolicking.

Playing tennis with grenades.
pink_lady
Empress &

View Profile
« Reply #22382 on: February 01, 2008, 01:06:10 PM »

The academic and I have a date to attend a function at my college.  It's 'cocktail attire' which is making me rather nervous.  Part of this is because I have very limited options that fit the bill (the one dress that I'd like to wear is too summery), so the one option in the closet is kind of low-cut.  I'm very self-conscious about anything that displays cleavage anyway, but I'm especially uncomfortable since this one is with colleagues.  The dress isn't inappropriate, I don't think, it's just my issue.  I don't like that kind of attention. But I can't justify buying something right now, not only do I have a lot to do today, but I'm also trying not to spend money.

Too bad I don't have a black pashmina--that would solve a lot of problems.
Sigh.
spork
I, Forabotic

I oppress, therefore I am

View Profile
« Reply #22383 on: February 01, 2008, 01:07:57 PM »

My dating plans for tonight are also limited to a colleague.  I might go out for Thai food with someone in my department and her husband.

"Please do not force people who are exhausted to take medication for hallucinations." -- Memo from the Chair, Department of White Privilege Studies, Fiork University

"Where teaching skills are enforced by the use of PowerPoint presentations"

"Caring in context"
illuminata

Sneak, snark, snuk.

View Profile
« Reply #22384 on: February 01, 2008, 01:26:08 PM »

PL- do you have a lacy camisole to wear under the dress or some pins to close it a bit? Or can you borrow a pashmina? Le Target, center of my universe, has some lovely knock-off pashminas for about $15 usually.

contemporary_
Inoffensive

View Profile
« Reply #22385 on: February 01, 2008, 01:29:50 PM »

'Dating' the fam.  My sister has arrived/phoned, says she's been lonely. She is a Dad's house (aka Dogbert, btw).  Early dinner with Sis, Dad and Wife.  Will stay the night at D&W's house, then we're off to AZ early in the AM.

Got a lovely letter from Temptation.  He is insecure about his looks/photo.  Nothing to fear on that account.  I can relate, but it is very un-buddhist for him to get hung up on appearance.  I will tell him as much, nicely.  The astrology/bio-dynamic farming connection is quite pleasant.  He seems sweet, but I haven't seen the chart..

I may perform a magical act of transference and recast you with a promising new 'face', but not one anyone could ever connect to contemporary_ or you.

Fantastic! I would like to be recast as Tina Louise c. 1958-1968. Thank you. Yes, I'm serious.

By all means, be serious.  I'll see if I can work you in.  If I (re)write it.  Perhaps a choral figure, in bugle beads. 

...making ordinary surfaces seem far more magical and special.
pink_lady
Empress &

View Profile
« Reply #22386 on: February 01, 2008, 01:33:27 PM »

PL- do you have a lacy camisole to wear under the dress or some pins to close it a bit? Or can you borrow a pashmina? Le Target, center of my universe, has some lovely knock-off pashminas for about $15 usually.

The cut of the dress doesn't work with  a camisole (the back dips down so camisole would look funny). . . not sure about pinning-I don't know if that would be possible or not.  I tried the dress on last night and I seem to think not

but le Target is a good idea.  Maybe I can make a run this afternoon.
grasshopper
NEW AND IMPROVED! NOW WITH 50% FEWER SNARKIES!

Fuzzing it up since 2008.

View Profile
« Reply #22387 on: February 01, 2008, 01:45:06 PM »

Shambelle, I'm with everyone else. Guys don't talk about weddings (in any context) if there isn't a hint of something there.

Phil and I discussed children, house-buying, and whether or not I would keep my last name. He had no intention of marrying me. Sometimes talk is just talk.

Shambelle, I like your attitude. Safe and cool.

Poo.

There. I said it.
newphd

View Profile
« Reply #22388 on: February 01, 2008, 01:51:18 PM »

Shambelle, I'm with everyone else. Guys don't talk about weddings (in any context) if there isn't a hint of something there.

Phil and I discussed children, house-buying, and whether or not I would keep my last name. He had no intention of marrying me. Sometimes talk is just talk.

Excellent point, grassy.
newphd

View Profile
« Reply #22389 on: February 01, 2008, 01:55:55 PM »

Maybe this is too delicate a question for some but, is there anyone on the LHC who doesn't have marriage as a goal?

I am finding that most people (men and women) involved in online dating are either looking for a spouse or a good time. Is there anyone looking for a long-term, meaningful relationship that doesn't involve marriage or even cohabitation?

There's nothing wrong with marriage. As W_R said (interthreadually), "never say never" so I won't; but it is the furthest thing from my mind when I'm reading profiles.
epistephiliac
The essence of class and fanciness, now offering awesome lessons

Flutiste Tartinée

View Profile
« Reply #22390 on: February 01, 2008, 02:02:17 PM »

Maybe this is too delicate a question for some but, is there anyone on the LHC who doesn't have marriage as a goal?

I am finding that most people (men and women) involved in online dating are either looking for a spouse or a good time. Is there anyone looking for a long-term, meaningful relationship that doesn't involve marriage or even cohabitation?

There's nothing wrong with marriage. As W_R said (interthreadually), "never say never" so I won't; but it is the furthest thing from my mind when I'm reading profiles.

Me! I mean, I'm on hiatus, but when I get back on the (metaphorical, virtual) horse, my aim is to find a long-term, serious relationship. Like you, I don't want to say never, but right now I have not the slightest desire to marry. I also have no desire to live with someone. Down the street? Sure. I love convenience. But I have come to treasure my own space, and I love living alone. (I loved living with my husband, too, but I did that for a long time. Maybe after I've spent 16 years on my own I'll want to cohabitate. Or just need someone to push my wheelchair around.)

"'Well you must be a girl with shoes like that.'
She said 'You know me well.'" The Fratellis
contemporary_
Inoffensive

View Profile
« Reply #22391 on: February 01, 2008, 02:17:11 PM »

Is there anyone looking for a long-term, meaningful relationship that doesn't involve marriage or even cohabitation?

Yes, especially if you add the word "necessarily" before "involve."

meaningful relationship that doesn't necessarily involve marriage or even cohabitation

...making ordinary surfaces seem far more magical and special.
illuminata

Sneak, snark, snuk.

View Profile
« Reply #22392 on: February 01, 2008, 02:17:47 PM »

I vote "ambivalent" on marriage. Having been there, done that, and grown weary of cleaning up behind an adult, sharing all the space all the time, etc., I don't know if I'm up for it again or not. I'm not entirely opposed, but the dude would have to be really impressive- and preferably, gone on occasion. ; )

merce
strange attractor

View Profile
« Reply #22393 on: February 01, 2008, 02:32:30 PM »

I wanna get married

with a GIGANTESQUOUS wedding (of course I have no friends and no family in the U.S. so...)

and have babies (not make them, I mean, not inside my body, but...acquire babies)

soon, very, very soon.
shambelle

View Profile
« Reply #22394 on: February 01, 2008, 02:34:21 PM »

Grassy, you are a woman after my own heart...

I kept thinking about how to respond to some of y'all's postings on here, because it seriously means absolutely nothing - at least not to me - that things were discussed. Does it make me all fluttery and jumpy and stuff? You bet it does.

It was just so odd and unexpected that I wondered.

As for the marriage topic, for me, I'd definitely like to be married somewhere down the road. But I'm young, I'm unsettled, and I like where I am at the moment.

I was definitely NOT thinking marriage when I was looking around. Hell, I wasn't even thinking of anything that involved dating or much of a relationship (and I had zero inclination towards any intimacy, either). I was just poking around to see what was out there when the Cuban's ad caught my eye. I didn't expect it to pan out into anything at all, and I'm (pleasantly) surprised at where we've landed thus far.

Years ago, I would have said "never" to a guy like the Cuban. I'm glad my philosophy and views have changed so much over time. Never say never really is quite a good way to live some parts of life.

Pages: 1 ... 1491 1492 [1493] 1494 1495 ... 1698
  Print  

Jump to: