Taking Liberties Forum Index Taking Liberties
The official forum of the film and book by Chris Atkins

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Naked Rambler jailed AGAIN

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Taking Liberties Forum Index -> Free speech and the right to protest
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Simon (Dark Angel)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 12:34 pm    Post subject: Naked Rambler jailed AGAIN Reply with quote

Now I'm not sure what to make of this guy, nudity par-se is not actually prohibited by law (if im not much mistaken), unless you are deliberately exposing yourself to someone.

Whilst I certainly wouldn't want to bump into him in the high street, I'm not sure that jailing him for simple "nudity" is justified. Seems a bit much.

Anyway, from
http://news.scotsman.com/edinburgh.cfm?id=1408372007

83 more days behind bars for Naked Rambler

THE Naked Rambler has been ordered to serve a further 83 days in prison after picking up his 11th conviction for breach of the peace.

Stephen Gough, 48, was picked up by police officers on July 31 on his release from Saughton prison wearing only a pair of boots.

A number of pedestrians and motorists witnessed Gough, and one driver even tooted his car horn at him. He denied his nudity amounted to a breach of the peace at Edinburgh Sheriff Court yesterday.

But Sheriff Kathrine Mackie disagreed and ordered him back to prison - where he has been almost continuously for the last 16 months.

His solicitor, John Good, pointed out that the jail time he had served was the equivalent of a three-year term, but said his client still refused to wear clothes and planned to continue his solitary confinement at Saughton. He told the court: "It is Mr Gough's position that people should not be afraid of the human state."

The ex-Marine, who comes from Hampshire, was originally arrested during a trek the length of Britain as part of a campaign for the advocacy of public nudity.

So, opinions?
robertg

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My opinion is the man is very brave. His point however is hardly something that people want to do much of so I feel his protest will be in vain.
While this government takes part in a truly horrific and highly offensive campaign (I refuse to call it a war) that causes death and destruction to thousands of men women and children in Iraq, the sight of a naked man walking down the street is considered highly offensive and the man is sent to jail Rolling Eyes

Im sure an advanced Alien civilisation studying this planet would be totally confused and probably sickened at the double standards.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Taking Liberties Forum Index -> Free speech and the right to protest All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: