home

Go Back   NEWSARAMA > PREVIEWS

Old 06-29-2007, 11:27 AM   #1
MattBrady

WITCHBLADE #108

From Top Cow

Witchblade #108

(W) Ron Marz (A) Sami Basri (Cov) Chris Bachalo

Dani returns to New York from her surreal adventures in New Orleans and immediately seeks out Sara Pezzini, the previous bearer of the Witchblade. Meanwhile Sara has her own problems to deal with as her pregnancy begins to show and she must come clean with her commanding officer about the situation. Things get even more complicated when a foe previously thought dead returns to exact her revenge on Sara!

Full Color 32 pages $2.99

Old 06-30-2007, 05:45 AM   #2
Kolimar

Thumbs up

Great preview. Basri is pretty good and his women are attractive, something very appreciated when women are the stars of the show. Cool cover.
Old 06-30-2007, 09:04 AM   #3
atomikpower

Thumbs down ok preview

what can i say about the art...it's nice but it's something we have all seen before...and plus what's up with the thugs???why do they have to be black...???it looks pretty racist to me and to be honest kind of old fashion when i pick up comics with blond heroines against black evil villains ....it's 2007 baby.....
Old 06-30-2007, 10:46 AM   #4
MatsG

The title page is interesting. How to get it off? The other pages are kind of bland. Seen variations of that scene many times. But still looks worth trying. Cool cover too
Old 07-02-2007, 12:11 AM   #5
flamebird867

Celestine looks like Lady Shiva in a few panels.
Old 07-02-2007, 02:10 PM   #6
shwa96

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomikpower
what can i say about the art...it's nice but it's something we have all seen before...and plus what's up with the thugs???why do they have to be black...???it looks pretty racist to me and to be honest kind of old fashion when i pick up comics with blond heroines against black evil villains ....it's 2007 baby.....

Ummm...they hit on her. She kills them.

Maybe you don't follow the book, and that explains your complete misinterpretation of the scene. I thought it was pretty clear that the white girl who kills them is the "evil villain," and the African American guys, while maybe a little crude, are the victims. In fact, it's quite the opposite of how you interpret it. I think the whole point of the scene is, you see these guys and make certain assumptions only to find that they're not the bad guys at all. If there is any racism, it's on the reader for making those assumptions. As for the writer, if anything, he's trying to make a point and shame his readers for jumping to conclusions based on appearance.

It's 2007, my friend. There are shades of gray.