Spider-Man Action Figures

WWE Action Figures

home

Go Back   NEWSARAMA > PREVIEWS

Old 06-27-2007, 02:35 PM   #1
MattBrady

CAPTAIN AMERICA #28

From Marvel

The Winter Soldier wants Tony Stark dead and not even the world’s most impenetrable military fortress will stop him! In Captain America #28, the latest chapter in the Eisner-nominated series from Ed Brubaker, Steve Epting & Mike Perkins, Bucky Barnes continues his quest to assault the S.H.I.E.L.D. Helicarrier…but he’s not the only one! Sin and her Serpent Squad are gunning for Crossbones, who’s imprisoned on Tony Stark’s new mobile base. Meanwhile, The Falcon and Sharon Carter want to keep Cap’s former sidekick from making a mistake he’ll regret. So what does this all mean? Action, intrigue and thrills like only this critically acclaimed creative team can deliver!

“Captain America remains one of Marvel’s top books,” exclaimed Kevin Powers of SilverBulletComicBooks.Com, who also gave the latest issue a perfect rating. “Mike Perkins is a fantastic artist who together with Epting has created a great style of art to accompany Brubaker’s style of writing.”

Gary Rodrigue of ComicNews.Info gushed, “The pencil work of Steve Epting & Mike Perkins is nearly flawless, with the inks of Frank D’Armata highlighting an already appealing site for the eyes.”

The record-breaking “Death Of A Dream” continues here and no one’s safe anymore! With ties to the popular Initiative storyline and multiple Eisner nominations, Marvel urges retailers to check their orders on one of Marvel’s most acclaimed series. Just what are Captain America’s final wishes? And who carries them out? The surprising answers arrive this summer in Captain America #28!

CAPTAIN AMERICA #28 (MAY0721091)
Written by ED BRUBAKER
Pencils by STEVE EPTING & MIKE PERKINS
Cover by STEVE EPTING
Rated T+ …$2.99

Old 06-27-2007, 02:50 PM   #2
Don Mega

I just can´t believe how good this book is without its main-character.

Kudos to everyone involved!

I´m so looking forward to the upcoming Captain America Omnibus and hope that another Brubaker Omnibus will follow!

comics as good as this need to be collected in the finest way possible!
Old 06-27-2007, 02:52 PM   #3
Somebody

I've been spending a few minutes trying to figure out why that doesn't look like Xavier at all (baldness notwithstanding), and I think it's that he's too heavy-set, with too square a jaw and too strong a hint of jowels. More Lex Luthor than Prof X.
Old 06-27-2007, 02:53 PM   #4
Tusko

Wow, Stark knows Patrick Steward.
Old 06-27-2007, 03:08 PM   #5
tgail

No amount of praise can come close to describing how excellent this book is.
Old 06-27-2007, 03:09 PM   #6
coldwarmyth

pages like this...

confirm why this is my favorite book

Nice to see a sneak peek three weeks out. I wouldn't mind seeing Bru write Stark as well. I think he'd be a very good fit for the character, especially now.
Old 06-27-2007, 04:23 PM   #7
RedRonin

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgail
No amount of praise can come close to describing how excellent this book is.
Sure there is: It's almost as good as Daredevil.

Both are so damn good, though.
Old 06-27-2007, 04:26 PM   #8
panicbxmb

why must they tease us with these super early previews?! i want it noowwwww!
Old 06-27-2007, 04:48 PM   #9
Pack

Am I the only one who thought, at first glance, this looked like a GI Joe cover with Scarlet in the middle?
It might be because I'm not a GI Joe fan and I'm only barely familiar with the characters and their looks. Or maybe it's a deliberate homage. There seems to be lots of GI Joe fans out there.
Old 06-27-2007, 05:49 PM   #10
johnny.blaze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pack
Am I the only one who thought, at first glance, this looked like a GI Joe cover with Scarlet in the middle?
It might be because I'm not a GI Joe fan and I'm only barely familiar with the characters and their looks. Or maybe it's a deliberate homage. There seems to be lots of GI Joe fans out there.
OH SnAP! COOOOOBRAAAAAAAA!
Old 06-27-2007, 08:57 PM   #11
ANGELDOGGIE

WOW......This story just keeps on getting better the deeper we get into it !! I wish that every issue would be double sized, they just end too quickly !!
Old 06-27-2007, 09:07 PM   #12
CaptainCanad

Can I just say: Tony bringing Professor X in to read Crossbones' mind, only to find that Faustus (I presume) had erased the necessary parts = a story element I thought would be totally cool, but that it wouldn't happen = awesome.

Normally, the more "real" books in the MU ignore the existence of characters like Professor X when their abilities would be inconvenient to the plot; in this case, we actually have an explanation for why it won't work.
Old 06-28-2007, 04:26 AM   #13
The Holy Cow

Since Cap died and this comic is now part of the initiative, it just doesn't make it anymore for me, without the main character it's not the same anymore. I loked at issues 26 and 27 at my LCS but didn't buy them, it had lost its magic. The death of Cap was the end of the story for me... sadly.
Old 06-28-2007, 08:30 AM   #14
mike101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Mega
I just can´t believe how good this book is without its main-character.

Kudos to everyone involved!

I´m so looking forward to the upcoming Captain America Omnibus and hope that another Brubaker Omnibus will follow!

comics as good as this need to be collected in the finest way possible!

I agree. The book is great. But I wonder how long it can go on without the title character in the book.
Old 06-28-2007, 08:41 AM   #15
Pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike101
I agree. The book is great. But I wonder how long it can go on without the title character in the book.

It won't be that long. Captain America is "dead" the way Superman was dead. He'll get better soon. My belief is that Marvel created the Civil War mess, knowing that most fans would hate what happened with Tony Stark, with an endgame in mind that climaxes with....

the return of Captain America.

But that only has impact if they play this out and swear that that's exactly what they're not planning.
Just be patient. I remember when fans screamed about Superman's costume and powers changing and the older fans like me were just like, "Wait it out. They're not going to really change Superman."
Old 06-28-2007, 09:53 AM   #16
STL

Have to agree with people that this book is amazing. It's a testament to the skill of Bru to weave such fine support characters that can fill the characters void.

The book is still about Captain America even though he is dead. So it's not like Winter Soldier took the book over. It's more how do Cap's friends respond. And this book is stellar. Look forward to the Omnibus!
Old 06-28-2007, 11:43 AM   #17
CKdoubleU

They erased parts of Crossbones' memories AND colored his hair!

GENIUS!!
Old 06-28-2007, 06:35 PM   #18
odeisel

msn i picked up the tpb o fth efirst arc and i've been hooked ever since. steve is conspicuous by his absense and ed is almost stell ing the storyof the hole rather than the frame. brilliant. steve epting's work is growing by leaps and bounds. he was a poor man's tom palmer on his first avengers run. now his style is fluid and crisp an he's a much better story teller
Old 06-30-2007, 02:08 PM   #19
P33KAJ3W

Quote:
Originally Posted by odeisel
msn i picked up the tpb o fth efirst arc and i've been hooked ever since. steve is conspicuous by his absense and ed is almost stell ing the storyof the hole rather than the frame. brilliant. steve epting's work is growing by leaps and bounds. he was a poor man's tom palmer on his first avengers run. now his style is fluid and crisp an he's a much better story teller

I like turtles.
Old 06-30-2007, 02:36 PM   #20
Pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by P33KAJ3W
I like turtles.

This has nothing to do with this thread! If you just want to come here and post about turtles, well, why don't you just go to shell!

Old 07-01-2007, 01:18 AM   #21
Omega Alpha

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCanad
Can I just say: Tony bringing Professor X in to read Crossbones' mind, only to find that Faustus (I presume) had erased the necessary parts = a story element I thought would be totally cool, but that it wouldn't happen = awesome.

Normally, the more "real" books in the MU ignore the existence of characters like Professor X when their abilities would be inconvenient to the plot; in this case, we actually have an explanation for why it won't work.

Yep, it's great Brubaker did not runned away and came with a sollution.

And i think the book not only continues to be great, but is even better after the main character was killed.