Spider-Man Action Figures

WWE Action Figures

home

Go Back   NEWSARAMA > PREVIEWS

Old 06-22-2007, 09:55 AM   #1
MattBrady

ANNIHILATION: CONQUEST - QUASAR #1

From Marvel

Launched by the Prologue that IGN.com calls a “Must Read,” summer’s biggest sci-fi epic, Annihilation: Conquest, continues with the pulse-pounding Annihilation: Conquest – Quasar #1 (of 4), as Phyla-Vell-- the daughter of Captain Marvel--takes center stage. Written by Christos Gage (Wizard Magazine’s “2007 Writer to Watch”) and penciled by Mike Lilley (Vampirella), this four-issue limited series follows the quest of Phyla and her companion, the former Avenger known as Moondragon, to obtain the mysterious key to halting the seemingly unstoppable conquest of the universe. Having recently gained the Quantum Bands, but still struggling to master their incredible power, Quasar desperately races across the now-occupied Kree Empire…with a deadly foe (familiar to Avengers fans) hot on her trail!

“Dark sci-fi and epic fantasy collide head-on in Quasar #1,” says Gage, “but what makes it resonate with me is that there's a compelling character story at the heart of it all. The new Quasar must live up to two heroic legacies -- both Wendell Vaughn, who wore the Quantum Bands before her, and her father, Captain Marvel, are legends throughout the galaxy. It's my hope that not only will fans of cosmic action enjoy this book, but that anyone who likes heroic fiction of any type, from ‘Lord Of The Rings’ to ‘Star Wars’ will get caught up in the quest as well.”

“Christos Gage knows how to deliver character-driven action, Mike Lily excels in dynamic and lush visuals, and cover artist Matt Wilson is one of the gaming world’s top talents,” says editor Bill Rosemann. “Add it all up and you have an intense adventure that mixes all the things we love about fantasy and sci-fi into an epic at the heart of Annihilation: Conquest.”

Phyla-Vell struggles to accept her new powers and the weight of her legacy, can she find a way to save the universe…or will she too be crushed by the new enemies revealed in Annihilation: Conquest-- Prologue?

ANNIHILATION: CONQUEST – QUASAR #1 (of 4) (MAY072104)
Written by CHRISTOS GAGE
Penciled by MIKE LILLY
Cover by MATT WILSON
Rated T+ …$2.99
FOC—6/28/07, On-Sale—7/18/07

ANNIHILATION: CONQUEST PROLOGUE (APR072289)
Written by DAN ABNETT & ANDY LANNING
Art by MIKE PERKINS
Cover by ALEKSI BRICLOT
Rated T+ …$3.99
On Sale Now!

Old 06-22-2007, 10:26 AM   #2
Banana_Oil

The Phalanx got their hands on an Adaptoid? That's trouble.
Old 06-22-2007, 10:26 AM   #3
PhoenixFacto

very nice art. i like the similarity with perkins.
Old 06-22-2007, 10:29 AM   #4
DaVeO

Man, that's some excellent looking action. Waiting for the trades for this (and the past) series is murder. MURDER I TELL YOU!
Old 06-22-2007, 10:32 AM   #5
KentL

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattBrady
Mike Lilley (Vampirella), this four-issue limited series follows the quest of Phyla and her

“Christos Gage knows how to deliver character-driven action, Mike Lily excels in dynamic

Penciled by MIKE LILLY

Wow. How many different ways can Marvel spell Mike Lilly's name?

Mike's artwork looks great. I remember seeing his Nightwing fill-ins a few years back and thinking he definitely showed promise.

Last edited by KentL : 06-22-2007 at 10:34 AM.
Old 06-22-2007, 11:01 AM   #6
ComicLover

Not digging the new Quasar at all. And I especially don't dig the relationship between her and Moondragon. Moondragon was always a colder character and always attracted to strong personalities and power. The only weak person I saw her with was Marlo (which made no sense either). They humbled Phyla for this arc, but she wasn't that great to begin with. And Moondragon is better solo or with her own agenda. I say break them up and give moon her own mini.
Old 06-22-2007, 11:29 AM   #7
christosgage

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaVeO
Man, that's some excellent looking action. Waiting for the trades for this (and the past) series is murder. MURDER I TELL YOU!

Easy solution: buy the singles AND the trade.

Old 06-22-2007, 12:24 PM   #8
tgail

I have yet to care about this character, but I really like the Annihilation story so far. I like Christos Gage's writing, so I'm willing to give this book a chance. He made me care about Union Jack, maybe he can do the same here.
Old 06-22-2007, 12:37 PM   #9
CoolJerk

Not to be a continuity stickler or anything, but...

...last time I saw Moondragon, it was relatively difficult for her to wear sunglasses and listen to her iPod.

Which is to say, Thanos tore one of her ears off. Forget the issue, but it was in the Annihilation series. But there she is, bilaterally symmertical, in Annihilation: Conquest prologue (and, I presume, here).

Just sayin'.
Old 06-22-2007, 12:46 PM   #10
Upper_Krust

Hey all!

I really think Marvel have found a winning cosmic formula with this whole Annihilation business (In fact I would almost venture I could take one of these events every year - if they maintain this level of quality and intrigue). They understand that there probably isn't enough love to go around having multiple cosmic ongoing titles, but throw in some "optional" miniseries and tie the whole thing into one big event and hey presto - its like they just gave Joe Quesada carte blanche to come round my house and steal money out of my wallet.

Quasar - love Phylla with the sword.

StarLord - the helmet looks so freaky - I love it.

Wraith - one of the coolest character designs I have seen in ages.

Nova - been great so far.

The Phalanx - interesting villains.

The covers are totally awesome.

The only disappointment so far was that they killed off Aegis and Tenebrous (two of the best Marvel cosmics ever designed) FAR too quickly and in FAR too cheap a manner. Total waste of two good characters.

Other than that - its thumbs up all round.
Old 06-22-2007, 12:56 PM   #11
Bob Almond

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolJerk
Not to be a continuity stickler or anything, but...

...last time I saw Moondragon, it was relatively difficult for her to wear sunglasses and listen to her iPod.

Which is to say, Thanos tore one of her ears off. Forget the issue, but it was in the Annihilation series. But there she is, bilaterally symmertical, in Annihilation: Conquest prologue (and, I presume, here).

Just sayin'.

In the script for the prologue issue, it says that Kree technology was used to give Heather a new ear.
Best,

Bob Almond (inker, ANNIHILATION: CONQUEST- QUASAR)
The Bob Almond Inkwell
Old 06-22-2007, 01:35 PM   #12
DBHughes

The art looks great, and I'm glad to see the original Super-Adaptoid being used instead of the silver model; but I just can't get into this character change. I mean, look at what Marvel is doing with all of their other great space characters: the Richard Ryder Nova is amazing now; StarLord is being shaped into a great character; even Rocket Racoon is finally getting some great attention! But the best they could do with Quasar was a "bullet in the head" so that it could make way for a bland, token character. With all of the other great stuff going on, why was the ball so badly dropped here?

The Wendell Vaughn Quasar had as long of a history as the Richard Ryder Nova; but Wendell had a solo series that actually lasted 60 issues (something Ryder could never claim). Why all of that was tossed so non-chalantly, I'll never understand; but it leaves an incredibly bad taste in my mouth as I see this new series.
Old 06-22-2007, 02:33 PM   #13
Knowbrainer

I'm glad I don't seem to be the only one missing Wendell Vaughn.

When I started reading comics (17 years ago), Quasar #1 was the first comic I bought, the one that started my collection/addiction. So, I'm not exactly happy he was killed off and replaced. At least he got to shine a little in Annihilation, albeit as a supporting character.

I'll probably check this out, but I wish Phyla's costume looked something like Wendell's.
Old 06-22-2007, 04:37 PM   #14
Mark Thorson

Quote:
Originally Posted by christosgage

Done and done.
Old 06-22-2007, 05:20 PM   #15
RedRonin

Quote:

I'll buy 2 copies of everything if you write more Iron Man. Deal?
Old 06-22-2007, 05:37 PM   #16
TF_Loki

My only worry was that the art wouldn't be good....

...OK, that ain't gonna be a problem. Can't wait!

I'm a fan of the old Quasar too and it's a shame they did him in. I think I would have preferred Phy-la to be called Captain Marvel (still time for that, maybe? When's that series out again?) but I got no bones about it. I like her as a character so I'll get over it.

So, Christos, when do you kill Bendis and take over the Marvel Universe ? Nothing against BMB but he seems to be hogging a lot of books you could be writing. He shouldn't be so greedy with all the cool toys . What's your next comic project or is the day job holding you up ?
Old 06-22-2007, 06:01 PM   #17
Kolimar

Thumbs up

Very nice preview with cool art. It still feels odd to see the new Quasar. I miss Wendell. Oh well...
Old 06-22-2007, 06:44 PM   #18
Chris

*sits in the back of the room*

"I like Phyla..."

*dodges tomatoes*

Seriously, one thing I've always hated about the last 10 years or so is that writers have left all of these characters for others to use, and yet they never get touched. Bendis is one of the few who actually USES these characters (Sentry, Echo, Hood) so it's a breath of fresh air to see Phyla get some light. So long as they don't kill her. I think people would be taking this better if Wendell wasn't offed and the two co-existed...

Chris
Old 06-22-2007, 07:11 PM   #19
Refrax

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBHughes
But the best they could do with Quasar was a "bullet in the head" so that it could make way for a bland, token character. With all of the other great stuff going on, why was the ball so badly dropped here?

The Wendell Vaughn Quasar had as long of a history as the Richard Ryder Nova; but Wendell had a solo series that actually lasted 60 issues (something Ryder could never claim). Why all of that was tossed so non-chalantly, I'll never understand; but it leaves an incredibly bad taste in my mouth as I see this new series.

First of all, how is she a token character? Do you really know what that word means?

No doubt Quasar was a good character, and he'll be missed. But I recognize that from a creative perspective, he'd been around a long time, and there's more story potential w/ a new protagonist that lacks the experience and features different character dynamics.

Not to mention that this is the Marvel Universe, which means Vaughn will inevitably be brought back by a cosmic force, or the guy who died was actually a Skrull anyway.
Old 06-22-2007, 08:55 PM   #20
aliciabb

I hope they don't overdo the whole lesbo thing like the prologue.
Old 06-22-2007, 09:13 PM   #21
christosgage

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRonin
I'll buy 2 copies of everything if you write more Iron Man. Deal?

Deal! Start buying!

No, I'm not taking over the regular series. But there may well be more Iron Man in my future.

Old 06-22-2007, 09:19 PM   #22
christosgage

Quote:
Originally Posted by TF_Loki

So, Christos, when do you kill Bendis and take over the Marvel Universe ? Nothing against BMB but he seems to be hogging a lot of books you could be writing. He shouldn't be so greedy with all the cool toys . What's your next comic project or is the day job holding you up ?

Bendis makes use of doubles, decoys and food tasters. I think he knows I'm after him.

Next project? StormWatch PHD, Quasar, Authority, World War Hulk X-Men, House of M Avengers, a Red Sonja story in Savage Tales, a Nightmare on Elm Street story in September, and about a haf-dozen projects I can't discuss...stay tuned, and thanks for asking!
Old 06-22-2007, 09:45 PM   #23
DBHughes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refrax
First of all, how is she a token character? Do you really know what that word means?

Certainly I do; do you? PAD created Phyla-Vell almost literally out of thin air just to have a "super" lesbian to pair with Moondragon's lesbianism. What depth did I miss? It's the same situation as creating a black guy just so that you can say you have a black guy.

Quote:
No doubt Quasar was a good character, and he'll be missed. But I recognize that from a creative perspective, he'd been around a long time, and there's more story potential w/ a new protagonist that lacks the experience and features different character dynamics.

So why didn't they kill Richard Ryder? Star Lord? Hell, why not just kill everybody if there's more story potential in abandoning these tired, old characters that have been around since the 60's.

Death is easy; Living is hard.

Quote:
Not to mention that this is the Marvel Universe, which means Vaughn will inevitably be brought back by a cosmic force, or the guy who died was actually a Skrull anyway.

I'm sure that will happen after they realize the mistake they've made; but that later realization does not justify the mistake.

Last edited by DBHughes : 06-22-2007 at 09:54 PM.
Old 06-22-2007, 11:50 PM   #24
RedRonin

Quote:
Deal! Start buying!

No, I'm not taking over the regular series. But there may well be more Iron Man in my future.

That would be sweet.

Actually, I really enjoy the Knauf's run. But if they were to replaced by you and Scot Eaton jumped on for art duties, well...I would probably buy both singles and trades. Looking forward to see you and Eaton on the X-men back tales. Should be awesome.
Old 06-23-2007, 12:10 AM   #25
Kolimar

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBHughes
The art looks great, and I'm glad to see the original Super-Adaptoid being used instead of the silver model; but I just can't get into this character change. I mean, look at what Marvel is doing with all of their other great space characters: the Richard Ryder Nova is amazing now; StarLord is being shaped into a great character; even Rocket Racoon is finally getting some great attention! But the best they could do with Quasar was a "bullet in the head" so that it could make way for a bland, token character. With all of the other great stuff going on, why was the ball so badly dropped here?

Good points.