Spider-Man Action Figures

WWE Action Figures

home

Go Back   NEWSARAMA > NEWS

Old 06-20-2007, 09:16 AM   #1
MattBrady

K. THOR JENSEN @ MOCCA THIS WEEKEND

Press Release
In the days after September 11, with the ruins of his job, relationship, and city crumbling around him, New York cartoonist and roustabout K. Thor Jensen packed a backpack, bought a bus pass and took to the open road. His 60-day, 10,000-mile journey is chronicled in his 300-page graphic novel memoir Red Eye, Black Eye. Released by publisher Alternative Comics earlier this year and hailed by Publishers Weekly as “one of the first important graphic novels of 2007,” Red Eye, Black Eye continues to be lauded with rave reviews and brisk sales.

“I am incredibly gratified at the great critical reception Red Eye, Black Eye is receiving,” said cartoonist K. Thor Jensen, “To see my humble book called ‘a contender for year-end honors,’ to hear people saying that it ‘should be regarded as highly as Blankets by Craig Thompson,’ is flattering and vastly encouraging. When reviews first started coming in, I thought each new one was a fluke – some kind stranger pushing some sympathy my way. But then as we started to get more, and more, and more, from tiny blogs and huge magazines, each one more glowing than the next, I realized – hey! I actually made a pretty good book! And it only took me four years.”

K. Thor Jensen will join other Alternative Comics cartoonists this weekend at the sixth annual Museum of Comic and Cartoon Art (MoCCA) Art Festival held in lower Manhattan’s historic Puck Building (293 Lafayette Street), June 23rd & 24th. Expected to draw thousands of artists, creators, collectors, retailers, publishers, agents and others to downtown Manhattan, the 2007 MoCCA Art Festival offers fans, professionals and the general public an ideal opportunity to view and purchase published and original works from a wide range of comic and cartoon artists. K. Thor Jensen will be on hand for Saturday, June 23 only.

From riding the back of a burning couch in Birmingham, Alabama to aiding stray dogs in Butte, Montana, building a giant papier-mâché vagina in Columbus, Ohio to smuggling drugs across the border in El Paso, Texas, Jensen searches for the last remnants of a meaningful life as he rides the Greyhound bus. Stopping over in eighteen cities, he interacts with a diverse cast of supporting characters, and they each recount a story of their own to him, cobbling together a modern Canterbury Tales for the slacker generation. Red Eye, Black Eye is a fractured portrait of life in 21st century America, as the protagonist and his compatriots drink, fight, stumble and fall their way through their travels. It's also riotously funny, charmingly crude and beautifully drawn.

Red Eye, Black Eye by K. Thor Jensen, Published by Alternative Comics

304 pages; $19.95; 5” x 7½”; ISBN-13: 978-1-891867-99-6; ISBN-10: 1-891867-99-7; Distributed by Diamond Book Distributors: NOV06 3235
Old 06-20-2007, 10:27 AM   #2
vbartilucci

My god, this event puts the Big Apple Con at MSG's Felt Forum to shame... It's gonna be a busy weekend for me and Norbert.