Spider-Man Action Figures

WWE Action Figures

home

Go Back   NEWSARAMA > NEWS

Old 06-16-2007, 10:27 AM   #1
MattBrady

TOP COW ANNOUNCES PILOT SEASON

Press Release
Pilot Season will consist of six 32 page full color one shot comics with a suggested retail price of $2.99 each. Additional information regarding Pilot Season can be Top Cow Productions revealed details today for their Fall fan-interactive promotion, Pilot Season 2007. The event will consist of six self-contained one-shot specials featuring established Top Cow characters that are currently without regular series. After all six issues have been released fans will have an opportunity to vote online for their favorite and the two winning characters will receive their own series in 2008.

As with a TV pilot, each of the six issues will serve as a sample of what a full length series might be like. The six issues will be released in August through November with one issue in August, two each in September and October, and the final issue releasing in November. The six characters starring in each issue have been revealed as Ripclaw, Velocity, Cyblade, The Angelus, The Necromancer, and Aphrodite IX respectively.

Creative teams for the event have been tightly guarded, but Top Cow promises some surprises in the quality and style of creator recruited to develop each Pilot Season issue. Previously announced is the creative team for August’s Ripclaw Pilot Season #1 with Eisner nominee Jason Aaron (Scalped, The Other Side) and Marvel regular Jorge Lucas (Incredible Hulk, Annihilation: Ronin) and a cover by Tony Moore (The Walking Dead, Exterminators). Additional details of the creative teams will be revealed in coming weeks.

Top Cow is teaming with numerous industry websites to allow fans to interact through message boards, polls, and finally the actual voting process. Websites will include MySpace, IGN , Wizard Universe, and of course the Top Cow site itself as well as numerous others. A full list of participating websites will be released in the near future. Fans who purchase all six issues of Pilot Season 2007 will receive a code which will result in their vote being weighted more heavily than those who vote without the code. Additionally fans and retailers who support the entirety of the promotion will be entered into a contest for fabulous prizes. Fans and retailers are encouraged to stay tuned for more details in weeks to come.

“This is much more than a simple gimmick,” commented Vice President of Editorial, Rob Levin. “We’ve put together teams to tell stories that flat out do not suck. Fans don’t often get a say in terms of editorial direction in comics. Rather than stacking the deck and putting out two really good books and four okay ones, we’ve got six killer titles across the board. Any one of these books could support its own series.”

”Comic publishers have done fan voting before, but I’m not sure anyone has done it on this scope yet,” said Vice President of Marketing & Editorial, Filip Sablik. “We’re throwing down the gauntlet and now it’s time for fans to pick it up and own this event.”
Old 06-16-2007, 11:46 AM   #2
SpaceButler

Annihilation: Ronin? Does this prove resurrected Clint is a skrull?!?!?!?

I keeed.... I keeeed.....

Overall seems like a cool idea. I have never really been into Top Cow characters, but this could serve as an interesting experiment for other companies and their homeless characters.
Old 06-16-2007, 12:58 PM   #3
matchesmalone

This is a great idea. It sounds like a fun and efficient way to get fans involved.
Old 06-17-2007, 11:17 AM   #4
BriGuy

Tremendously awesome idea. I love it.

One question: Will the creative team that does the pilot be the same on the book(s) that gets picked up?
Old 06-17-2007, 04:59 PM   #5
jza1218

This is a fun idea.
Old 06-18-2007, 08:57 AM   #6
NightRiver

That sounds like an excellent idea! Cant wait to see what these stories will be like!
Old 06-18-2007, 02:07 PM   #7
shwa96

Quote:
Originally Posted by matchesmalone
This is a great idea. It sounds like a fun and efficient way to get fans involved.

Wow, Matches has something nice to say. I think I just had a small heart attack

Quote:
Originally Posted by BriGuy
Tremendously awesome idea. I love it.

One question: Will the creative team that does the pilot be the same on the book(s) that gets picked up?

I would imagine based on the mechanics of the event that there are no guarantees. It's hard to lock up a creative team on the "chance" that they'll have a series to work on. That said, if the creators want to do it and they did well enough to win, then it's probably safe to say that they'll be brought back.

So the long and short of it is...depends on the artists.
Old 06-18-2007, 02:48 PM   #8
Speedball93

Will they put all of these in one trade? That would be a pretty cool collection. Ripclaw and A9 would be my bets on who gets a series out of it. Are they going to be ongoings or just minis?
Old 06-19-2007, 04:37 PM   #9
Charlie Hustle

This is a great idea, nice cover there too.