Spider-Man Action Figures

WWE Action Figures

home

Go Back   NEWSARAMA > NEWS

Old 06-11-2007, 10:24 AM   #1
MattBrady

SOUTHERN KNIGHTS AVAILABLE ON COMICSONSCREEN.COM

Press Release
One of the earliest and greatest Independent comic book series from the 1980s is now available for viewing 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, at ComicsOnScreen.com. The SOUTHERN KNIGHTS made their debut in August of 1982, putting them at the leading edge of the independent comic book movement, and over the course of the decade became one of the longest-running black-and-white comic books in the history of the medium.

The Southern Knights were the first superhero team to base their operations out of the South, specifically out of Atlanta, Georgia. The Southern Knights were created by Henry and Audrey Vogel, and featured among their members the electrically powered superhero ELECTRODE, the super-strong and durable KRISTIN AUSTIN, the psychic blade of CONNIE RONNIN, the mystical talents of ARAMIS, and the not-so-monstrous DRAGON. The first two issues were drawn by the inimitable Jackson "Butch" Guice, many later issues were drawn by Flare artist Mark Propst.

The first seven issues of the Southern Knights were published by Henry Vogel and his partner David Willis while they were still in college, through their company, The Guild, on a starting shoestring budget of only $2000. Later issues, through #34, were published by David Kraft and his Comics Interview Group. Two more issues were published in the early 1990s in cooperation with Dennis Mallonee and Heroic Publishing. And that's been it. Until now.

Plans are afoot to bring the SOUTHERN KNIGHTS back to comics. No date has yet been set, but plots for at least seven new issues have been written and a creative teams has been lined up. In the meantime, original issues of the SOUTHERN KNIGHTS are available to subscribers to ComicsOnScreen.com as part of their monthly subscription package. Individual issues of SOUTHERN KNIGHTS can also be downloaded in electronic format from comics.drivethrustuff.com.

ComicsOnScreen.com features dozens of high-resolution online versions of recent issues of such popular Heroic Publishing titles as Flare, Liberty Girl, Champions, Anthem, and WitchGirls Inc. Over the course of the next few months, Heroic Publishing's entire inventory of published comic book story material, dating back to the mid-1980s, will be added to the ComicsOnScreen.com Internet site, providing subscribers with an opportunity to read, at their convenience, for only $5.99 a month, any comic book that Heroic Publishing has ever published.

Heroic Publishing's partner in this venture, Ettitudemedia.com, has taken ePublishing to the next level, by using state-of-the-art technology in ePublishing. The focus is on providing an interactive reading experience on the Internet. By integrating various technologies, Ettitudemedia.com provides its readers the real feeling of reading a book, by flipping the page, in a cool 3D page-turning format. But, the fun doesn't stop there! Ettitudemedia.com eBooks contain pop-up images, audio, video and streaming multimedia presentations, making them truly digital publications.

In addition to online comic books from Heroic Publishing, ComicsOnScreen.com has plans to expand their online services to include a wide variety of comic books from other comic book publishers. The SOUTHERN KNIGHTS are the first comic book from a company other than Heroic Publishing to be featured at ComicsOnScreen.com. Comic book publishers interested in exploring the opportunities presented by ComicsOnScreen.com should contact either Ettitude Media or Heroic Publishing.
Old 06-11-2007, 11:57 AM   #2
RDFozz

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattBrady (from a press release)
Plans are afoot to bring the SOUTHERN KNIGHTS back to comics.

Yay! This was a really good series, with characters that acted like people more than cliches.

The first issue was titled THE CRUSADERS. Archie evidently still had the rights to that (via their MIGHTY CRUSADERS book, which had its 80's revival around that time), so the name changed to SOUTHERN KNIGHTS with the second issue. They actually used something close to the real reason for the change to explain it in the story, which was neat.

Mentioned primarily due to the similarity to the Heroic/Marvel issues with the title THE CHAMPIONS.
Old 06-11-2007, 04:06 PM   #3
Kolimar

Hm, I had never heard about this. Interesting offer.
Old 06-12-2007, 04:46 AM   #4
Drcharles

I remember The SouthKnights from the 80s I have a few issues and a Graphic Novel, I think that a number of publishers produced these bks, the B/W explosion produced a number of fun and quirky bks, yeah they were great, and I would be interested in their return.
By the way I've never heard of ComicsOnScreen.com and I will check this out for sure .
Old 06-15-2007, 09:14 PM   #5
hvogel

Thanks for the kind words! I'm always pleased to hear that people fondly remember the book even after it's been out of print for so long. I guess I'd better finish writing those new issues, then, hadn't I?

Henry Vogel