Login

Not a member yet? Click here to register!
Username:
Password:
Forums
360 sells more than Wii & PS3 combined in US
View previous topic - View next topic  
Doctor_Hades
Kudos: 20

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 2:16 pm Reply with quote

Golly gosh, an established console now in mass-production having been out over a year outsells two new consoles that are in short supply having only been out mere weeks at the end of 2006!!! Who'd have thought, eh? Rolling Eyes

I think we'll need to wait until this time next year to guage a better idea of how all three machines are really doing and I'd expect the PS3 to be the biggest seller Christmas 2007 followed by the 360 and then the Wii.
thelazyone
Kudos: 18

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 2:24 pm Reply with quote

I think the only suprising fact from this artical is the fact that the gameboy advance is still doing really well, who would have though! Shocked
Petebrolly
Kudos: 16

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 2:26 pm Reply with quote

Doctor_Hades wrote:
Golly gosh, an established console now in mass-production having been out over a year outsells two new consoles that are in short supply having only been out mere weeks at the end of 2006!!! Who'd have thought, eh? Rolling Eyes

I think we'll need to wait until this time next year to guage a better idea of how all three machines are really doing and I'd expect the PS3 to be the biggest seller Christmas 2007 followed by the 360 and then the Wii.

i seriously doubt that. itl be wii/360 then ps3. pretty sure the 360 would take a price cust before next christmas, and the wii is pretty damn cheap anyway. unless the ps3 can be cut in price, which i don't think sony could afford to do just yet.
Crow555
Kudos: 33

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 2:33 pm Reply with quote

To be fair, the Wii is sold out pretty much everywhere whereas there are reports of PS3's being returned in the states after not being sold on ebay which in my opinion speaks volumes. Obviously, a year old console in plentiful supply is gonna sell more but sales are sales.

[DOA]|Xfire|XBL:Crow555
csdaveuk
Kudos: 30

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 2:45 pm Reply with quote

I'm surprised that the PS3 has sold as well as it has, tbh. That's good news, as competition drives quality.
Doctor_Hades

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 3:05 pm Reply with quote

@Petebrolly - I'd be very surprised if the Xbox 360 outsells the PS3 next Christmas mainly because Sony's machine *will* sell in Japan unlike the poor old 360 where it continues to sell in embarassingly low numbers. The PlayStation name and Sony's marketing will ensure the PS3 sells. No matter how hard I try, I just cannot see the Xbox 360 being anywhere near as popular even with a much lower pricepoint.
xxulyssesxx
Kudos: 2

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 3:17 pm Reply with quote

For some reason I have seen PS3 consoles sitting on the shelves of major retail chains within the past couple of days. I am thinking this is an indication that sales were primarily fueled by the early adopters and holiday season. Wiis on the other hand are no where to be found.
steve_2003
Kudos: 28

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 4:10 pm Reply with quote

Well done Microsoft, Have been a gamer for over 25 years and glad to see another newcomer to the games console scene doing well with Xbox 1 and now Xbox360.

Really impressed with the console & Live service (have met a whole bunch of new gamers and friends) and looking forward to all the big 360 titles in 2007.

The constant upgrades, "Live Anywhere, Live Arcade, Video Marketplace and IPTV" features coming this year and 360 console exclusives like "Mass Effect, Halo 3, Alan Wake, Gears of War & Forza 2, Banjo 3 & BioShock, to name a few are great.

Keep up the great work and carry on with the co-op titles (Gears of War, Kane & Lynch & Crackdown) Brilliant! Cool
henry_the_horse

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 4:43 pm Reply with quote

"Interestingly, NPD notes that both the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 were held back by short supplies, perhaps indicating there's still good sales to come for the consoles, as hungry gamers discover them on shop shelves."

I think this is a mis-print. It's supposed to say "...both the Playstation 3 and Wii..."

There've been ceiling high pyramids of 360s at every store I've been at since it's launch, through the 2006 holiday season. Only thing that held Nintendo and Sony back from outselling the 360 was their product shortages. Same goes with why Wii outsold PS3.

As for the comments about PS3s on store shelves all over, it is way over embellished. The reason why you can get a PS3 easier than a Wii has nothing to do with their demand. It's because now that Sony fixed the PS3s manufacturing issues they're flying out of the factories. Stores are literally getting mutliple trunk loads a week. And for Nintendo, they're still only sending a couple to stores a week. It's confusing why Nintendo is still having trouble manufacturing Wiis and did in the first place since its technology is so readily available. I thought this was one of the benefits for the Wiis weak power, that it would be easy to manufacture. Odd why there hasn't been any press covering why Nintendo has shortages which have now lasted longer than Sonys, but Sony got all the spot light on this fault. Unless Nintendo addresses this with a respectible explanation it smells a little fishy. Like Nintendo causing shortages to make people think Wiis are in outrageously high demand.

You can't get Wiis because they only send two to a store each week.
Asaron

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 5:07 pm Reply with quote

henry_the_horse wrote:
"Interestingly, NPD notes that both the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 were held back by short supplies, perhaps indicating there's still good sales to come for the consoles, as hungry gamers discover them on shop shelves."

I think this is a mis-print. It's supposed to say "...both the Playstation 3 and Wii..."

There've been ceiling high pyramids of 360s at every store I've been at since it's launch, through the 2006 holiday season. Only thing that held Nintendo and Sony back from outselling the 360 was their product shortages. Same goes with why Wii outsold PS3.

As for the comments about PS3s on store shelves all over, it is way over embellished. The reason why you can get a PS3 easier than a Wii has nothing to do with their demand. It's because now that Sony fixed the PS3s manufacturing issues they're flying out of the factories. Stores are literally getting mutliple trunk loads a week. And for Nintendo, they're still only sending a couple to stores a week. It's confusing why Nintendo is still having trouble manufacturing Wiis and did in the first place since its technology is so readily available. I thought this was one of the benefits for the Wiis weak power, that it would be easy to manufacture. Odd why there hasn't been any press covering why Nintendo has shortages which have now lasted longer than Sonys, but Sony got all the spot light on this fault. Unless Nintendo addresses this with a respectible explanation it smells a little fishy. Like Nintendo causing shortages to make people think Wiis are in outrageously high demand.

You made most of that up.
voodoocharlie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 5:41 pm Reply with quote

If these figures are, in fact, only for December, then Microsoft have done very well. The fact that people in the states are still buying the 360, even though there are 2 new consoles on the market, speaks volumes.
seancuk23
Kudos: 11

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 5:51 pm Reply with quote

Wow wii Xbox 360 sells the same amount as wii bringing its totel to 6million forgettin that wii and PS3 have only been out for a month or so Microsoft must be brickin it I would be if I was Xbox director Laughing
Diomedes1977
Kudos: 15

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 6:24 pm Reply with quote

Funny thing is X360 continues selling almost the exact same numbers as the original Xbox ....the Xbox 1 sold 1.15 million in its second december and the X360 has managed 1.10 ...
DaRockwilder1
Kudos: 19

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 6:26 pm Reply with quote

Doctor_Hades wrote:
@Petebrolly - I'd be very surprised if the Xbox 360 outsells the PS3 next Christmas mainly because Sony's machine *will* sell in Japan unlike the poor old 360 where it continues to sell in embarassingly low numbers. The PlayStation name and Sony's marketing will ensure the PS3 sells. No matter how hard I try, I just cannot see the Xbox 360 being anywhere near as popular even with a much lower pricepoint.

How the hell can you back a machine just because of its brand & marketing? Confused
MrPirtniw
Kudos: 11

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 6:29 pm Reply with quote

Erm... could you try rephrasing that? Y'know... so it makes sense? Xbox directors bricking it? What for?
bazzatuk
Kudos: 24

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 7:18 pm Reply with quote

MrPirtniw wrote:
Erm... could you try rephrasing that? Y'know... so it makes sense? Xbox directors bricking it? What for?

because they believe the Wii has sold 6 million units!?
henry_the_horse

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 7:51 pm Reply with quote

Asaron wrote:
henry_the_horse wrote:

You made most of that up.

None of that's made up. Yes me saying Nintendo is faking a shortage is only speculation. But how else do you spin it? I dare any one here to go to any electionics store and ask how many PS3s they get in a week and how frequent the shipments are and ask the same for the Wii. I guarantee PS3s are coming in by the boat load compared to only a couple of Wiis a week. Last week I was at Best Buy and the guy told some kid and his dad not to expect their store to get Wiis until February. No joke. Like I said if you don't believe me ask the stores yourself, come back here and let us all know what they said.

I still back up that's a mis-print in this article too. 360s aren't in limited supply, PS3s were up until the New Year and Wiis still are. On Christmas Eve you could walk into any store and pick up a couple dozen 360s if you wanted to.
Peddy
Kudos: 9

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 8:02 pm Reply with quote

I hate news like this, its so obvious what the reasons for this are so theres no point arguing about it. This December will be more interestng, at least then there will be no excuses etc
The_Hun1
Kudos: 37

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 8:37 pm Reply with quote

Its a bit hard for us to walk into a best buy store and see how many PS3 they have, since many of the people are in the UK and not the states and PS3 and best buy dont exsist here.

As for 360 selling more, off course it would, but interesting thing here about it, is the PS2 sold 1.4 million and that costs less than 100 bucks now, 360 sold 1.1 million in december without the price shifting since it came out, which is more than the Wii which costs alot less, it's really only the DS and PS2 that sold more and their both cheaper but quite a margin than 360.

as for PS3 sales, its way more expensive than anything else and sony have fixed the problems with making them, and it didnt do even half the number of 360 in december, no doubt it had a massive advertising campagin and hype to push it out to people.

Next xmas in the states 360 will still sell more than Wii and PS3, off course 360 will get a price cut on the same day as halo 3 comes out, thus ensuring the console stays number one in the market (PS2 sales will have dried up by then), thats if you dont count handheld sales aswell. PS3 will increase slighty (lets face it this machine wont take off, till great software and a massive price cut happens), to make the machine appeal to the mass market.

Wii will interesting, depends on the software availble a new pokemon game and a new mario for xmas and it has the potential to sell a few million units in november and december, i doubt it will get a price cut, since its already cheap to make and nintendo already make money from it.

Thats the states, in europe i expect the PS3 to sell more in december 2007 than 360 (but not by much) 360 will still have a healthy lead and will do till the end of 2008 start of 2009 in europe, thats when PS3 will overtake it (same thing happened with the SNES and megadrive in europe).
natman2000
Kudos: 8

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 9:07 pm Reply with quote

I doubtPs3 will sell as many consoles as many fanboys are letting on. People are put off by high prices and unless there are some attractive packages like the 360's Gears of War bundle, Sony are going to have a hard time.
Theres not much call for high definition input from these so called super blu-ray devices, many people dont realise their shiny new plasma's will benefit from hi-def.
peteuplink
Kudos: 8

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 2:12 pm Reply with quote

DaRockwilder1 wrote:
How the hell can you back a machine just because of its brand & marketing? Confused

Well the sad fact of the matter is even if the PS3 turns out to be a complete dogs breakfast it will still sell loads because of some of the more easily lead gamers out there who think just because it's sony it'll be good.

Last edited by peteuplink on Sat Jan 13, 2007 6:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
BeNdEr91

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 4:45 pm Reply with quote

I believe that Wii will live on on the sidelines while the PS3 or the 360 dominates. After that, the winning console will sell like hotcakes. The price for the PS3 has to drop and the good thing with it is that you can upgrade it. The 360 is a machine with great potential but tbh I can only imagine its owners switching to Sony due to the growth of HD and if people get a PS3 then Blu-ray will prosper and again people will be getting PS3 just as a standalone Blu-ray player.

PS - I'm not a Sony fanboy. I'm just a boy with extreme manliness.
screamingdean

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 12:23 am Reply with quote

No mention of the PS2 selling more than any console with the exception of the DS? Click Here
And the Wii and PS3 sold more in the same time the 360 did when it was http://uk.gamespot.com/news/6164106.html
DAEDALUS79
Kudos: 27

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 1:09 pm Reply with quote

Quote:
GBA is still alive and well at retail with 850,000 sold.

How are these still being sold, i thought every man, woman, child and dog in the world had one of these.

Quote:
And the Wii and PS3 sold more in the same time the 360 did when it was http://uk.gamespot.com/news/6164106.html

That could possibly be to do with the fact that the 360 had a massive shortage in numbers as they tried a near simultanious launch. Ps3 is only in asia and the states and the wii is in all 3 now.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CVG Forum Index -> Article Comments All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: